Why is everyone so scared of weighing their food?

Options

Replies

• stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have lost weight without weighing their food simply by using portion control (use a small plate of food, don't get seconds until it's been 20-30 minutes and you know if you're really still hungry or not, limit fast food to two small items, etc). This is very manageable for a lot of people and is a long-term solution for people who don't want to weigh their food for the rest of their lives. It's a hassle.

Logging food is a good idea though. Even if it's just an estimate (no weighing/measuring), there will be a close count on packaged foods and it's important for people to know approximately how many calories are in each thing they're eating. Learn the "value" of each food for a balanced diet and to know if a certain food is something one should rarely eat or if it's something like vegetables where the calorie count is so low you'd be full long before you went over your limit.

My biggest issue was that I ate food when I wasn't hungry (eating for taste) or I got too many items at fast food. Now I eat one plate or bowl of food. If it's a burger then that's usually the only item. I almost never get fries with my food anymore because it's extra calories and if I do it's a small order or I share the large with others. If it's pizza I eat two slices, instead of three like I used to eat. At Taco Bell I limit myself to two items. It's about moderation. I also eat smaller meals or two meals a day instead of three. My daily goal is 1200 so I don't eat a lot of snacks anymore. I used to go crazy with the cheddar and sour cream chips but now they're almost never in the house and if they are I limit myself to a kid-sized bowl instead of eating two regular-sized bowls of chips. I don't own a food scale but am still losing weight. I think part of it is that my daily goal is low so I have room to go over and still lose weight. I am not "scared" of weighing my food but I am also not eating a lot. If I were always hungry I think I would weigh my food because I would have to be more careful about not going over.
  • Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    At first my boyfriend wasn't interested in weighing his food at all. But he does use the scale very occasionally now for certain things. (Like almonds) He just started using it on his own. I think he realized how easy they are to over eat. I do the cooking so I measure out our meals, but he's lost 78 pounds in 6 months from mostly just estimating and eating the pre-measured meals I keep in the fridge and freezer. He doesn't keep track of what he eats either, he doesn't have a MFP account. Haha It seems to work fine for some.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    PS: Re baking: In all my life I've never seen a recipe with the ingredients given in weights, although that makes a great deal of sense. My mother taught me to run flour through a sifter, then carefully spoon it into measuring cups in order not to compact it and then use a straight edge of some sort to level it off. Conversely, brown sugar is supposed to be pressed into the measuring cup (although how hard to compact it is somewhat arbitrary and a matter of experience.) I learn something everyday!

Conversely, I've never seen a baking recipe that wasn't given in weights, except for the liquid volume portion of course. You've just confirmed that using volume measures for solids just don't make sense.

Baking is the only time I'll weigh stuff, because in that case it does make a difference to the outcome.

But then I'm an engineer, so I use what's practical and useful, only when it's practical and useful :)

Maybe the lack of weights for baking is an American thing? English recipe books always seem to have weights for ingredients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to weigh at first because I thought it would be a hassle and was going too far and unnecessarily time-consuming. And I was actually losing fine without weighing, but just ended up thinking it would actually be less of a hassle to weigh, since estimating was more of a pain. Plus, I got into wanting to know the details so I could number crunch better.

He might get more into it after starting, so I wouldn't worry if it takes him time. And if it works without it and he doesn't, no harm.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't weight my food, I do follow the "sizes" that are listed so if its half a cup I use half a cup. I get it that it may or may not be the exact size. So far I've been losing slow but steady, i'm in no rush.

Just like I don't freak out on yogurt, ice cream and other things like that when weighed. I don't lick my bowl clean so there is guaranteed left over calories, and I have a toddler who tends to eat a good chunk of whatever I eat anyways.

If I stop losing and changing my routine isn't working, than i'll buy a scale till than I am not going insane.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get it, you can lose weight without a scale and without logging... I'm just wondering how sustainable it is long term?

Everyone I know who lost weight that way still think that eating a cookie or ice cream will mess up their diet. I can't imagine how that would be sustainable long term. I mean... I'm sure if I never ate sweets I wouldn't really need to weigh my food to lose weight either... but that wouldn't be much fun and frankly, me being me... I'd probably gain the weigh back later.

I guess we'll see how it works out (but yeah, he's a man, he got that on his side).

I don't think you get it...Food scale is must to have for some but not for others...There are people who can simply eat less and lose weight; there are who can't do it that way. Whatever works for a person is really relative...It's not black and white, has to be your way or no way. Just sayin~
  • albayin
    Options
    A scale is a valuable tool, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Some people are better at estimating portion sizes than others...I am not one of those people so a scale was very valuable in helping me to learn that. I still use my scale from time to time, but for the most part I'm now able to eyeball my portions without much issue; I tend to use it primarily for things like nuts and pasta, etc...these things I for whatever reason just can't eyeball properly.

THIS

However, I am not one of those who can do it by just eyeballing...my husband can totally do it with no problem.
  • albayin
    Options
    because food is supposed to provide pleasure not torture...weighing before eating that's just too much hassle and takes away the fun...
    I have been weighing certain foods (especially cheese) for years. It's simple, easy and is such a habit I barely notice doing it anymore.

I still enjoy my food. *shrug*

It's only torture if you make it torture. It adds no extra time (maybe a split second) and sometimes actually allows me to eat more than I thought I could.

Good for you then. :) All I was saying there is to answer OPs question from one possible angle...
  • albayin
    Options
    My husband has decided to lose weight, but he doesn't want to weigh his food (or log his food really). He said if he stops losing, he'll consider it.

I don't get it... Why not start with something that works if you're really determined to do it?

Because your way is not the only way that works...:)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    PS: Re baking: In all my life I've never seen a recipe with the ingredients given in weights, although that makes a great deal of sense. My mother taught me to run flour through a sifter, then carefully spoon it into measuring cups in order not to compact it and then use a straight edge of some sort to level it off. Conversely, brown sugar is supposed to be pressed into the measuring cup (although how hard to compact it is somewhat arbitrary and a matter of experience.) I learn something everyday!

Conversely, I've never seen a baking recipe that wasn't given in weights, except for the liquid volume portion of course. You've just confirmed that using volume measures for solids just don't make sense.

Baking is the only time I'll weigh stuff, because in that case it does make a difference to the outcome.

But then I'm an engineer, so I use what's practical and useful, only when it's practical and useful :)

Maybe the lack of weights for baking is an American thing? English recipe books always seem to have weights for ingredients.

American's don't typically own food scales unless they are trying to monitor their food intake in the manner being debated in this thread.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

American's don't typically own food scales unless they are trying to monitor their food intake in the manner being debated in this thread.
    you dont often see weights in canadian recipe books either
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

you dont often see weights in canadian recipe books either

I wonder if it's mostly Americans and Canadians that are resistant to weighing their food since it's otherwise not done.

Anyway, we digress....sorry, OP.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I generally see weights in baking books (I'm in the US). I don't much like baking because I'm a just put in what seems good and is on hand sort of cook and don't like following recipes, but I used to bake bread on occasion and all the resources I used focused on weights being much more accurate. I never bothered then, though.
  • albayin
    Options
    Weighing your food is totally a "first world problem"....that's just it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    This is my personal observation and opinion: There is a belief shared by many that taking this concept of logging and micromanagement to THAT level is a sign that you have taken it to an unhealthy obsession. While this is not true in many cases, I think it is a valid and logical fear given the prevalence of eating disorders in modern society.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's mostly Americans and Canadians that are resistant to weighing their food since it's otherwise not done.

What I'd observe isn't so much resistance to weighing food, but many people not seeing the point.

For me, I end up with such large deficits after a decent training session then I'm unable to consume the volumes. There is absolutely no value to me in adding hassle.

What I find interesting is that for many threads there is an instant do you weigh... response, without any real exploration of the context. For many people weighing and measuring just isn't practical.

Of course the same thing applies in fitness threads when some respondents just weigh in regardless of the question asked and give a very simplistic answer. In the absence of context, mostly it's meaningless.
  • albayin
    Options
    This is my personal observation and opinion: There is a belief shared by many that taking this concept of logging and micromanagement to THAT level is a sign that you have taken it to an unhealthy obsession. While this is not true in many cases, I think it is a valid and logical fear given the prevalence of eating disorders in modern society.

I tend to agree with the core of your message...although I see warning coming...you will be jumped all over...LOL
  • albayin
    Options

What I'd observe isn't so much resistance to weighing food, but many people not seeing the point.

For me, I end up with such large deficits after a decent training session then I'm unable to consume the volumes. There is absolutely no value to me in adding hassle.

What I find interesting is that for many threads there is an instant do you weigh... response, without any real exploration of the context. For many people weighing and measuring just isn't practical.

Of course the same thing applies in fitness threads when some respondents just weigh in regardless of the question asked and give a very simplistic answer. In the absence of context, mostly it's meaningless.

the motto of this forum is (or at lease one of them) "you don't weigh your food, you deserve to fail".
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of the coin when it comes to people who haven't had results and ask for help. If they aren't weighting their food, that could be a big reason why they are not losing weight. It's a fair question.

That said, I've never seen any of the posters on here jump on someone if they say they don't weight for personal reasons. I'm pretty sure a lot of the really smart people on here add the caveat of "you may want to avoid weighing if it's a trigger for unhealthy behavior."

For me personally, my goal is to live a happy, healthy and well-balanced life. For me, personally, this precludes obsessive weighing, special ordering at restaurants (for the sake of diet alone), staying home because it's easier to hit my macros, etc. I believe that it is possible to manage calorie intake without weighing all the time PROVIDING that the person doing it is realistic with what they think they are eating. If I'm unsure of something I ate, I round up. If I'm unsure of how much I burned, I don't eat back all those calories. This in no way means I am any less dedicated to my health and fitness and, quite frankly, I'm offended at the posts on here that say as much.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that people don't want to know how much they're eating of calorie dense things. Weighing makes you accountable. People want to believe that they can just do one small thing and then fix all of their problems. Just look at the diet industry. 21-day fix. 7 day juice cleanse. People want someone else to do all the calculating and then just sit down at the table and eat.

Yay for oversimplifications and generalizations. So awesome.

i think she's right. not about people on MFP, but people as a "whole". the sheer yearly revenue of the fad/gimmick diet industry seems to support her argument.

i even saw a weight watchers commercial the other night that proudly proclaimed that there was "no weighing. no counting." IIRC.
    The commercial you saw was specifically talking about the Quick Start program, which I believe is a version of the old Core (on which a LOT of people had great success, BTW) and is only supposed to last I think two weeks. Then you have to start weighing and measuring. It's more a way to ease people into the program than meant as a long-term solution.

Anyway, no, I don't think people who are not trying to lose weight (or not seriously and actively, anyway) care or want to know about how many calories they're ingesting. But I also don't think that's a full and accurate description of why many people don't want to use a food scale. If you can have success without it, why bother?

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread but the bold is dead on, IMO.

I think short term food scale use is a great idea if you want to become better at portion estimation. I think physique athletes and people who desire "extreme" levels of leanness may potentially need the accuracy that a food scale provides. I think a food scale is a great tool to use if you are at a weight loss plateau because it will give you a good piece of information as to whether or not your intake was simply too far above your target.

But beyond that, if you're losing weight at a reasonable pace I don't see an immediate need to have people weigh their food meticulously.