Why is everyone so scared of weighing their food?

Options

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    not scared, I see no reason to do so. Yes, I'm probably under what I list in my diary, buttoning my shorts is all I need to do.:)
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food because I'm a Science geek and it feels like I'm doing an experiment!!!!
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I've researched into this and weighing food isn't a likely option for me. My doctor called it unnecessary too. It isn't idea for everyone.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This might seem odd, so bear with me. Some people actually don't have to weigh their food and that's fine. I actually had a habit of overestimating portions.

:flowerforyou:

Thank you. I'm extremely cautious about weighing my food. I really only do it now to ensure I'm hitting my protein macros. When I was not weighing at all, I simply overestimated my calories and underestimating my burn. This worked just fine.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant for a long time because IMHO, any change that I'm making for better health/weight loss, needs to be realistic and long term and weighing food seemed to be something I wouldn't put on that list. However, I finally bit the bullet about a month ago and am happy I did. I still don't weigh everything but use the scale for fruits, veggies and meat and like that I can feel more confident about logging the correct portion amount for those things.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think that people don't want to know how much they're eating of calorie dense things. Weighing makes you accountable. People want to believe that they can just do one small thing and then fix all of their problems. Just look at the diet industry. 21-day fix. 7 day juice cleanse. People want someone else to do all the calculating and then just sit down at the table and eat.

Yay for oversimplifications and generalizations. So awesome.

i think she's right. not about people on MFP, but people as a "whole". the sheer yearly revenue of the fad/gimmick diet industry seems to support her argument.

i even saw a weight watchers commercial the other night that proudly proclaimed that there was "no weighing. no counting." IIRC.
    The commercial you saw was specifically talking about the Quick Start program, which I believe is a version of the old Core (on which a LOT of people had great success, BTW) and is only supposed to last I think two weeks. Then you have to start weighing and measuring. It's more a way to ease people into the program than meant as a long-term solution.

Anyway, no, I don't think people who are not trying to lose weight (or not seriously and actively, anyway) care or want to know about how many calories they're ingesting. But I also don't think that's a full and accurate description of why many people don't want to use a food scale. If you can have success without it, why bother?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are against it who don't have a lot to lose and should be weighing..

Lots of people are against it because it can seem excessive and it could also be triggering compulsive habits. Not everyone should be weighing.

Yes but those aren't the ones I am speaking about...the people in my real life don't have eating disorders they just don't want to weigh their food...and I am made fun of for it...because they think it's excessive which is fine...but don't berate those who don't feel it's excessive and who aren't triggered by it...

I am not saying everyone should be weighing...but there are lots out there who have very silly ideas on what it means...like it's excessive...now that is silly...

It simply put is a tool to use if you can/want to use it. But if you don't want to use it...notice I said want not can't then don't complain about yo yo ing the same 10lbs every year...don't complain you can't lose...don't complain you are doing everything right and still can't lose.

My brother as a diabetic used to have a food scale too...to keep his sugars in check by weighing his food...

ETA: but if you actually can't use a scale due to issues then don't, either way the choice is a personal one. I recommend it all the time to friends and family who are trying to lose weight but I don't push it or make fun of them or berate them in anyway and I don't think the OP will either...

It really comes down to use it if you want, don't if you can't but let others personal decision be theirs and leave it at that...no need to get twisted up when others have a different opinion on it. Esp when it's not like we are talking about stupid crap like "it's not how much you eat but what you eat" foolishness...
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Because we're men.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Men in tights?
    Tight tights!

We roam around the forest looking for fights!

blinkin-punch-o.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A scale is a valuable tool, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Some people are better at estimating portion sizes than others...I am not one of those people so a scale was very valuable in helping me to learn that. I still use my scale from time to time, but for the most part I'm now able to eyeball my portions without much issue; I tend to use it primarily for things like nuts and pasta, etc...these things I for whatever reason just can't eyeball properly.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's a PITA. My DH is waiting for me to master it, make it easy, and tell him how to do it the fast way. :laugh:
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I log and measure my food, but I am hesitant to use a scale because I don't want to become too obsessive. I don't think that people who do use a scale are obsessive, but I think there's a fine line that I am not sure I could walk.

That being said, I do weigh out meat, and portion it accordingly.
  • Jacob021
    Jacob021 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am weighing my food all the time, but my wife is teasing me for that...and thinks I am crazy...

After 2 months of weighing everything,
    I have much better perception... I can guess within 5-10% accuracy the weigh of most things I eat.
  • MikeLAdams
    MikeLAdams Posts: 40
    Options
    It's a manly-man thing. I was the same way until my weight loss stopped, and then that's when I went looking for "why". It's no use arguing with him, he's a guy. Tell him to "rub some dirt on it" and he might listen to you.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Because it can be a pain in the *kitten*.

When I first started, I weighed EVERYTHING. And it was good that I did. I got a real sense of how big my portions were, saw that it was a valuable tool to make sure that I wasn't overeating.

Now that I'm closer to goal, I'm a lot looser and relaxed. I don't really bother taking the time to do it with a lot of things. I suppose i'm just burnt out :) I still do it for some things.

It's not absolutely necessary for weight loss, but it does clear up a lot of confusion. Especially if you're not losing.
  • FraggleRockerFitnessLover
    Options
    Weighing food was an eye opener for me, what I thought was 2 ounces of meat was actually less than that. I love my scale. Weighing wine shocked me to the point I rarely drink it for it's high calorie content. It's a great tool for my life
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Going away to school and away from my food scale was one of the best things to happen to me. I don't think weighing your food is necessary for everyone. It's a generalization to say it is.

I'd much rather guesstimate with my food and be off on my calorie goal a little then go back to my past obsessive behavior and over reliance. But of course, everyone is different and needs to use different methods.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No idea. I never really thought it mattered, until I decided to by one. I have had it less than a week, and I see just how inaccurate I was before having it. Probably the best decision I have made recently. For example, I was loggin avocado based on "1 cup cubes". Which is something like 240 cal listed in the database. When really I was only eating 50g of it which is listed as 80 cal.

Not speaking of people who have tried it and it triggers something negative...but for people who have never used one...I think they just do not realize how off measuring by cups can be.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I think that people don't want to know how much they're eating of calorie dense things. Weighing makes you accountable. People want to believe that they can just do one small thing and then fix all of their problems. Just look at the diet industry. 21-day fix. 7 day juice cleanse. People want someone else to do all the calculating and then just sit down at the table and eat.

Yay for oversimplifications and generalizations. So awesome.

i think she's right. not about people on MFP, but people as a "whole". the sheer yearly revenue of the fad/gimmick diet industry seems to support her argument.

i even saw a weight watchers commercial the other night that proudly proclaimed that there was "no weighing. no counting." IIRC.

It's still an oversimplification and generalization, IMO. There are a lot of reasons why people aren't comfortable weighing their food. It doesn't all boil down to laziness and/or a lack of motivation. You don't have to weigh to lose weight.

There are a lot of reasons that people aren't comfortable weighing their food. I read through the thread and saw a lot of the same ideas repeating, so I suggested another possible reason, not intending to sound like I had come up with the only reason people don't like food scales. I also agree that you don't have to weigh to lose weight. You also don't have to be on MFP.

I believe that the quick fixes are so popular, not because people are lazy or unmotivated, but because they're told these things work. If you could get the same results and use a __-Day Fix, it WOULD be silly to do something that takes more time and effort. We are members of the "Save time and money!" culture. These products are glamorized and testimonialized and the boring ole food scale hasn't got a shot, from a marketing perspective. When I find a faster way to do something in my life, I jump on it. The problem with applying the same time-saving techniques to weight loss is that it is now filled with gimmicks that don't work and burn people out.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    because food is supposed to provide pleasure not torture...weighing before eating that's just too much hassle and takes away the fun...
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are against it who don't have a lot to lose and should be weighing..

Lots of people are against it because it can seem excessive and it could also be triggering compulsive habits. Not everyone should be weighing.

That's right Paige!