Underwear is so overrated

Options

Replies

• Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I do cycle commute, for this I wear padded shorts without underwear underneath.
    That means I avoid unwanted chafing, rubbing, and soreness, it also means the sweat can more easily wick away rather than build up in the material and the parts down under.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Agree. When I jog wearing a kilt and underwear I get friction burn so I either wear something that hugs or nothing at all.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I didn't know this was a thing. I alwaysss wear underwear.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    Maybe right up until you pull that zipper up a little too fast! :sad:
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Awkward for who? You or the theripist!!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else confused as to why you need to remove your pants to look at your foot?

And compression shorts anytime I'm doing cardio

I was wondering the exact same thing. I guess you and I were the only ones.

I went to a physical therapist for several months for an issue I had with my knee. She never asked me to take off my pants! (I think I always wore shorts, though.) No reason the OP couldn't just pull up her pant leg some.

OP, were you offered a gown or anything? If not, that sounds very inappropriate, underwear or not.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    COmpression shorts or running tights while running. Too many layers = chafing.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of women leaving snail trails on the benches and machines. :noway:

I'm not sure how that even happens unless your vag is actually bare skin on bench- and that's just gross, iwth properly fitted pants/shorts- it's not an issue.

But a reason to wipe your bench down before and after. with pants or shorts- you are only leaving a sweat mark- which I'm fully guilty of- I have pants I dislike because it shows the sweat marks incredibly well- and I sweat- so knee- crotch- small of my back- all of it shows. And yeah- I sweat all over benches- but never a snail trail.

But I've never in my whole lifting career ever seen snail trails on bench's happen.

So workout pants/shorts have a magic liner that lets sweat pass through but not any other fluid? Interesting....

Of course, wearing underwear wouldn't completely eliminate the issue, but it would be another layer or two of protection
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    1. I recommend all males where underwear or something to keep them contained. Especially when on the floor doing mat work. I do not need to see your junk hanging out the bottom of your shorts. (true story)

2. When I go to my physio, they want me to wear shorts, they even have some there if needed. They need to see/feel how the body, muscles, ligaments, etc move.

If you are covered, then they cant see it, then they cant help you.
  • shadyj26
    shadyj26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ew. That happens? I only wear yoga pants to the gym, so I don't think this is an issue.

You know that you can see through yoga pants when you bend over or laying back on a bench right. I'm not trying to be a pervert...just thought you should know. I have told women before and they was suprised about that.
  • EmRN06
    EmRN06 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about not wearing underwear while working out. I sweat a lot when lifting. So I think the extra layer of underwear would help me keep the bench free from sweat, although I always sit on a towel anyway. But now you have me thinking that maybe I should try it when I go for runs outside. Do you girls recommend going without on runs?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Running shorts with a liner for all work outs. Undies while exercising is a nasty no-no.
    This. Men, these exist. Keeps you contained and you won't retain sweat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of women leaving snail trails on the benches and machines. :noway:

I'm not sure how that even happens unless your vag is actually bare skin on bench- and that's just gross, iwth properly fitted pants/shorts- it's not an issue.

But a reason to wipe your bench down before and after. with pants or shorts- you are only leaving a sweat mark- which I'm fully guilty of- I have pants I dislike because it shows the sweat marks incredibly well- and I sweat- so knee- crotch- small of my back- all of it shows. And yeah- I sweat all over benches- but never a snail trail.

But I've never in my whole lifting career ever seen snail trails on bench's happen.

So workout pants/shorts have a magic liner that lets sweat pass through but not anything other fluid? Interesting....

Of course, wearing underwear wouldn't completely eliminate the issue, but it would be another layer or two of protection

No- but it's not snail trail. There is distinct difference between a flat out discharge and just some typical body fluid from a workout.

I hazard a guess that that particular fluid is probably cleaner than my sweat given how much OTHER stuff my epidermis touches and then passes on through sweat.

Regardless- I only use a bench for 3 things
    Bench
    Seated good mornings
    barbell glute bridge

The seated good mornings would be the only serious issue- and I always spray- return the bottle- then go get paper towels and wipe it down- so it even has time to sit. It's still not an issue- there are far bigger issues to be concerned about.
    You know that you can see through yoga pants when you bend over or laying back on a bench right. I'm not trying to be a pervert...just thought you should know. I have told women before and they was surprised about that.

not all yoga pants- that's kind of a blanket statement about women's clothing- I only have one pair that's like that and they got retired from lifting to just dance work.

but it's true- you should to a bend test when fitting at the store.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about not wearing underwear while working out. I sweat a lot when lifting. So I think the extra layer of underwear would help me keep the bench free from sweat, although I always sit on a towel anyway. But now you have me thinking that maybe I should try it when I go for runs outside. Do you girls recommend going without on runs?

I still wear underwear when running...but, if you're not sitting on shared equipment, to each their own :-)

I absolutely LOVE these for working out or for every day: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1126/womens-rgear-undercover-seamless-hipster/
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd love to go undie free as i despise panty lines lol. But the extra layer helps absorb sweat and is more comfortable.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I typically wear lined shorts at the gym, really, to me, underwear is pretty much only for days where I have the unlined gym shorts and days where I am going to try pants or shorts on. I've done a few 5ks in a kilt, all without issue. A few kilt checks, but I don't call that an issue. (My wife does though...)
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's just a hassle for me. Sometimes I work out twice a day, in the morning and evening.

I ain't about to change my underwear three times a day.

Ps: my yoga pants are not see-through.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have to wear compression shorts to make sure that sudden rushes of blood/oxygen doesnt result in inadvertent flexing of a certain muscle
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's just a hassle for me. Sometimes I work out twice a day, in the morning and evening.

I ain't about to change my underwear three times a day.

Ps: my yoga pants are not see-through.
    thats a shame.

anyway why not just have compression underwear for workouts and then your regular underwear, then youre just changing between the 2 pairs... unless its the act of changing underwear that bothers you and not having all these extra pairs of undies lying around, but really youre changing your pants anyway its just one more layer to strip off
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts underneath running or basketball shorts works for me. My shirts are what get sweaty, anyway, so if I'm running outside, no shirt anymore. :happy: