heard disturbing convo about weight today

Options
1235»

Replies

• Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Id love to be that thin. I have a bff that was down to 80 lbs at one point...she's 5'8. Anorexic beyond belief. I on the other hand am 6' tall and about 3 times that :sad:

When I hear someone that is that thin and tiny complaining about being fat.....I think maybe if Id THOUGHT THAT WAY WHEN I WAS THAT WEIGHT maybe I wouldnt be fighting to lose all this weight now.

~~jus' saying
  • ryannsmom921
    ryannsmom921 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chances are she just wanted her friend to tell her she wasn't fat....probably fishing for compliments more than actual disgust with her body.
  • meghanmarie79
    Options
    (I'm not sure if I'm replying to your right, MeghanMarie... I do not know how to forum. EDIT: Evidently, definitely do not know how to forum. Sorry - I'd have quoted, but I don't think I can do that going back...)

MeghanMarie, what if she'd been a size 12 a few years ago? And she's only now just fitting into that size 0?

For some context, I used to be up to a size 12 in this one brand (with consistent sizing so I can actually compare reliably! Yay!) - heck, I might've gone up to 16 at one point. I can't remember - I didn't want to.

Now, I'm a size 4, working down to a size 2. Will I ever by a size 0? Probably not, due to bone structure and a stocky, farmer-like build. But maybe I will - some of my other family members are size 0 with a similar structure.

Now, I've gone into change rooms and tried on a size 8, because I still have 25lbs to lose - I can't POSSIBLY fit into something smaller.

... Except I can. And a size 8 becomes a size 6. And then THAT'S too big, so it becomes a size 4. And I'm rejoicing with my friends because I remember when I was a size 12 and just barely squeezing into it.

So someone asking for a size 0 because a size 2 is too big shouldn't be something worth throwing pants at (unless it's the size she's looking for) - it's something to take as a celebration in stride. She's done it - celebrate with her (quietly, in your change room cubicle). Think about it - if you had the same thing happen, wouldn't YOU want someone to celebrate it with you instead of scoff and throw pants at you?

Replying to the OP:
    If they were tall ladies, I can see that being a bit disturbing. But if they were like me (barely 5'), I can see it being totally acceptable. If I had maintained at 100lbs for a very long time, but then all of a sudden upped by 5lbs (assuming not due to water weight, shark week or unresolved... issues), I'd be concerned too. I'd tell my friends - because they've supported me in my weight loss and maintaining the loss - and I'm sure they'd be worried and asking about if anything changed.

But I'll agree with you in that a 5lbs difference is totally not worth freaking out over. I've dropped 7+lbs in two days and it turned out it was just water weight and... food on the way out, suffice to say.

That said, it's none of your business. Nor should it affect you. So this skinny lady gained 5lbs and her friends are freaking out - who flips a waffle? Not you. Her body is not yours. They were not talking about you, they were not even looking at you.

If conversations all around you are all of a sudden all ABOUT you, that's not their problem - it's yours. Until that sinks it, you'll find it hard to accept your body and love it. Only you need to love your body - if other people don't, that's not your problem.

You know, you're right. At the time, I was at my original, bigger weight, so that comment resonated with me. Now I would probably just roll my eyes. At my highest, I was a 16, now I'm 8-10 but I still get distressed w myself when I'm trying on pants that numbers wise, should fit, but don't. I know that I could try on 5 different pairs of pants from 5 different places and they will all fit differently but it's still frustrating. So as much as I hate to admit it, I should probably let that fitting room memory go LOL Like I said tho, weight gain is relative, so I realize that 5 extra pounds could make a big difference to someone.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Going from the username, I feel like this is a new incarnation of MayaDaya/BrightCristal/the other 70 usernames this person has created...

:huh:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I see more humor in that situation than anything. I'm a big guy now but I'd never ever want to date a woman that was that tiny. At 100 lbs that doesn't leave much room for boobs or an *kitten*, and what about love handles?

There's plenty of room on petite women for curves.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I want to accept my appearance before losing weight....I don't want to feel ashamed and hate my body.......it's a real struggle and hearing these things just reaffirms that other people think I'm fat and "omg what have you been eating"

Don't let other people's hangups about themselves affect how you feel about yourself.

You think that people think that about you because that is what you think when you look at yourself. Not only do you need to learn how to accept and love yourself, you also need to learn to not care about what others think of your appearance.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I overheard a conversation once. It was none of my concern so I stopped listening and went about my business.

Eavesdroppers often hear highly entertaining and instructive things :P

Though in this case just annoying things

My eavesdropping skills are second to none. It provides constant entertainment
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    When I tough my wife or hold her I prefer not to feel bone.... ugh...

:huh:

Yea.... fixed that. I type way to fast and make a lot of things sound / look mildly retarded.

:huh: :noway:
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Going by the logic everyone is commenting, none of us should complain about our weight unless we're 600lbs +. Look, I know it's frustrating hearing a skinny person complain they feel fat. But I'm sure you've all had days where you feel bigger than usual, even if you are in a healthy weight range. It's frustrating. It's a normal thing to feel. Just because they're thin doesn't mean they can't have a low self confidence day or be worried about going up a size. Going up to a size two may seem ridiculous to you, but to someone who has always been a 0 it's a confidence blow.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    That is just mean. You know what she meant.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This thread comes awfully close to body shaming girls with EDs. It seems to me that listening in on other's conversations is somewhat rude, and internalizing what they say and taking offense quite unproductive.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    All the 'that's too skinny' and 'I want my woman to have meat on her' sort of talk is just so ridiculous. We get it, everyone has preferences, but what if your 'woman' wanted to be 105 and got down there -- you going to stop loving her and wanting her?

Bodies are bodies. They can be beautiful in all shapes, sizes, forms, and the like. By putting too rigid of preferences out there, you make it that much harder for someone to gain acceptance for where they are going to fall on the weight spectrum. Being concerned for health reasons for someone too thin or too heavy is way different than "no fat chicks in this bed" and "omg need some meat on my ladies, amirite" -- the latter examples are just ways to play on insecurities (male or female, you can switch up the genders and have the same discussion) for those who aren't in some sort of mythical middle ground of Goldilockism, aka 'just right'.

Oh, and if you're ever on the receiving end of those comments, just ignore them and do what's right for you. You dropped to 110 and you're healthy and fit and happy but your gf or bf doesn't like the bonier pelvis or something? You have the power to not let that bother you and do what's right for you....so do that :)

OP -- others have pointed out, the conversation wasn't about you. People have body image issues at all sizes and I totally get how those conversations make you feel even more aware that you're way bigger than them. At 5'1" and used to be 300 pounds, I most certainly understand!! They make look at you and judge you or they may not, but you have no control over any of that. What you do have control over is not giving a flying eff. You have your path and your journey. They have theirs. Unless they willfully intersect those paths by addressing you specifically, I suggest ignoring it and reminding yourself that they may have issues too and just move on.

ETA: And yes, I get that OP is probably a troll but hey, others may read and benefit (or not, who knows) <g>

This.

Plus, 5 lbs. WILL show on more petite women. I'm 5'2' and I have a smaller build.

mm4odf.jpg

This is me. The only difference is 2-3 lbs.

If they're not talking about you, then it doesn't concern you. People will feel fat, and the people will feel skinny .689 a second later. Doesn't concern anyone but themselves.