Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options
So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Why?? Just as long as you are within your calorie and macro goals (if you are tracking macro's) then it is all good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

There is no substitute for good bread, just moderate your intake of it and stay within your calorie goals and you'll be fine
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

This!
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Pita's or Tortilla shells
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Joseph's lavish bread is good. I use it for all my sandwiches. Although, I have a sandwich, maybe once per week.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    If you realized you eat too much of it just eat less.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread. Find better breads to eat, though. Good, healthy bread can be a part of any life..................unless you've got that gluten thing going on (like EVERYONE has that gluten thing.........hmmmm :yawn: )
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good bread is lovely and has lots to recommend it but if you are trying to cut down and just have it occasionally then you do have options - depends slightly where you are in the world.

Crispbreads especially rye, wholegrain etc are usually around 30 cals a slice and are filling and tasty
    Crackerbreads are less calories but the texture isn't to everyone's taste - about 20 cals a slice
    Crispbakes or melba toasts - like a light toast and around 12 cals for the tiny bread slices or 30 for the thicker round ones
    Sandwich thins come in several varieties including wholemeal and wholegrain and are typically 100 cals each

Or you could avoid anything bread like and do Lettuce or Cabbage wraps, or make a salad to go with the sandwich filling you would normally use.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea also I'll add I love sprouted bread, it's not bad for us and I eat bread at least a few a day. I check the carbs, fiber and sodium to determine if it's for me.

My favorite is Ezekiel but I love any of the Trader Joe's sprouted.

I put some reduced sodium Turkey in Romaine leaves and wow, so tasty... it's something you get used to. If you wanna give up bread there are all sorts of options. At first it seems impossible to even think of what you'll do without bread (sandwiches, toast etc) but when I tried the Romaine the other day I can see it being somewhat of an alternative.

But I do love toast and I can't see how to replace that with lettuce... and doubt I will.

I don't know how much bread you eat so I can't speak to it being to much or not. I can easily eat toast for breakfast and a sandwich later... I don't worry about it for myself.

Hope you get some more idea on your thread.:drinker:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

I SO agree...................................
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Bagels, Hawaiian bread, donuts...wait what where we talking about. ..bagels

23slu8.gif
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

23slu8.gif

Don't forget the butter. AND bacon.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

23slu8.gif

Don't forget the butter. AND bacon.

Your genius is showing!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    just eat less of it maybe?

ETA: a great lunch idea is chicken and rice with some sort of vegetable. cook it in advance, package it up, and away you go.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    just eat less maybe?

Too reasonable. Moderation never works for anyone.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

+1
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I base my lunches around soups and salads. I still like good bread once in a while, but eating it every day upsets my stomach.