Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower?

No.

tumblr_n5mm4jYGh71qg2p2fo1_400.gif
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

There is no substitute for good bread, just moderate your intake of it and stay within your calorie goals and you'll be fine

Sorry wrong post got quoted
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.

Certainly lots of other (good) bread exists. Even in when it comes to pre-sliced there are better options available. But if you look at what is selling in huge quantities... it's the white sandwich bread. That is what most people in the US are consuming.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    funny-bread-celebs-18.jpg
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Joseph's lavish bread is good. I use it for all my sandwiches. Although, I have a sandwich, maybe once per week.
    Joseph's also has whole wheat oat flax Pita, for 60 calories each. I recently discovered a brand called Tumaro's who have tortillas between 60-90 cals depending on the flavor. Neither are "OMG amazing bread!," but they're both pretty tasty.

It's true there's no substitute for great bread, but many of us can't afford (or don't want) to regularly spend the calories needed for two slices of "full calorie" bread. Wrapping your stuff in lettuce is just sad lol...so, we have to find a happy medium.

Sure, every once in a while I have a sandwich on some delicious, fluffy bread from one of the fantastic local bakeries...but that's a treat, not everyday lunch.
  • BlueBombers
    Options
    I'm sure you can find cauliflower "bread" recipes online.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

"Cheesy cauliflower breadsticks"

http://centercutcook.com/cheesy-cauliflower-bread-sticks/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.

OP asked for a substitute for bread, lettuce is not an adequate substitute. Or maybe I'm mistaken and it is perfectly adequate for let's say grilled cheeses, garlic bread, french toast, sopping up sauces and many other things. It is not even a substitute for burgers like the poster said, how does the lettuce sop up the tasty burger juices?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Lettuce isn't a substitute for anything - it's lettuce. Same goes for the cauliflower and squash that people are constantly trying to manipulate to "replace" certain "evil" foods like carbs. Just eat the damn bread as long as it fits your macros.
  • BlueBombers
    Options

post-26182-earl-disgusted-animated-gif-9ZV5.gif
  • BlueBombers
    Options
    There is no substitute. Lettuce isn't a substitute for anything - it's lettuce. Same goes for the cauliflower and squash that people are constantly trying to manipulate to "replace" certain "evil" foods like carbs. Just eat the damn bread as long as it fits your macros.

tumblr_inline_n5kv9sA4j91qgkxw6.gif
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    No Bread is the healthiest option I've found. :p

I do enjoy the occasional Burger though. It's impossible to escape breads altogether if you enjoy the staples in American cuisine.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I actually think those look amazing, because I love cauliflower...but let's not pretend it's bread.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love bread, and I don't try to find a substitute for it -- I just eat less of it most the time. I love Dave's Killer Breads, but apparently we're not going to have those in TN, so I'll have to find something else. Though really what I like doing is making that 'healthy bread in 5 minutes a day' stuff - I use one of the whole grain recipes and it's awesome. Once we get settled into TN, I may try to make that our everyday bread instead of even buying sliced bread.

Because I am aware of my calorie limits, there are times I don't want to 'spend' my calories on bread, however, so I understand what you're asking. I choose to either just use 1 slice or I just bring meat and cheese to nom on sans bread. My lunches tend to be light fingerfood anyway, loads of berries and carrots with a serving of meat and cheese. That's mostly so I can have massive dinners like I like to do :)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

It was never really defined which qualities bread possesses that she wanted to substitute. Holding meat in between? Lettuce can substitute for that.

As a substitute for toast? Yeah, I am sure lettuce is a pretty poor substitute for that. Ice cream would be an even worse substitute for toast.

How about as a substitute for bread pudding? Lettuce would be horrible, but ice cream would be a better alternative as a substitute.

How about the bottom of French Onion Soup? The recipe calls for bread to be at the bottom. I dont think anyone in their right mind would suggest using lettuce or ice cream as a substitute for that.

So yeah, I think as random questions are posed on the Internet, a little bit of specifics and context can go a long way.
  • lsecula
    lsecula Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread. I mostly use English Muffins (120 calories); Tumaros Low-Carb Wraps (60 calories each and a GOOD size); Lately I've been using a lot of those 100 calorie sandwich thins -- I think they're Arnolds brand.

I saw someone else mentioned this idea, but I often use a whole grain brown rice and add chicken, veggies and shredded cheese to make a complete lunch or dinner.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

Eat less bread.

/end thread
  • cniemann26
    cniemann26 Posts: 49
    Options
    Just lower you bread intake and look for less processed bread made with whole grains...there are also wraps like the ones Flat Out makes that have less carbs if that is something your are looking for.
  • hypegoose
    hypegoose Posts: 29
    Options
    Flatbread gives you bread without as much bread, if that makes sense. I also use a lot of whole grain pita. You can cut it in half, open up the little pocket, still get tons of bready goodness but with more nutrients. I like tofuyan pita a whole lot! They have a fair amount of protein in them too. (:

You can put all sorts of stuff in them too. I like to make tuna patties to put in them with some spinach and hummus. Covers all your bases and is delicious!