Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Lettuce isn't a substitute for anything - it's lettuce. Same goes for the cauliflower and squash that people are constantly trying to manipulate to "replace" certain "evil" foods like carbs. Just eat the damn bread as long as it fits your macros.

tumblr_inline_n5kv9sA4j91qgkxw6.gif

More of this
  • RelentlessChef
    Options
    I use a brand call Flatout - http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-traditional/the-original/ - and it has a ton of fiber and keeps me full longer than traditional bread.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I swear by Ezekiel bread. You should be able to find it in the frozen section of your grocery store. It's a sprouted grain bread that is higher in protein and has carbs that digest more slowly (lower GI). For me switching to lower GI carbs has been incredibly impactful vs. substituting or cutting out foods.
  • lightblueeyes
    lightblueeyes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have not found a "good" substitute for bread...I do use lettuce wraps with tuna or turkey because I prefer them that way, but not as a substitute for bread. I try to only eat whole grain or multi-grain bread in moderation. I do not feel like I need bread with every meal.

When I am at work is the hardest...most of the restaurants near my job are all about burgers or sandwiches. Finding healthy alternatives to a sandwich for lunch have been key for me. On most Sundays, I will grill chicken or lean pork to take to work for lunch with vegetables. Sometimes I make a big pot of soup and portion it out and freeze it to take for lunch. I also make my own "homemade TV dinners" with leftovers from supper and freeze them to take to lunch. I always keep fresh fruit and vegetables on hand for snacks as an alternative to the bagels/donuts that are frequently delivered to the office by vendors.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bread with butter?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.

A lot of people who are afraid of vegetables like to claim that "moderation" means eating tiny portions of the "good" stuff and apparently nothing else, no matter how hungry you are. Heaven forbid someone use a lettuce leaf or add vegetables to a stir-fry or pasta.

I'm huge on moderation and "making it fit", I just can't understand why "making it fit" doesn't ever incluce swapping in an egg white or a vegetable. Someone already went off on cauliflower.

I made the comment and eat plenty of vegetables, however can you name one instance in which you swap out bread for lettuce that is as good as it was with bread? Mmmmhmmm
  • lightblueeyes
    lightblueeyes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a question about Ezekiel bread. In my area I only find it frozen and I have bought it several times and when thawed it is like cardboard - tough and dry. How do you store it and how do you thaw it to keep it from having this cardboard texture when you are ready to use it. I liked the taste of it, but couldn't get past the texture.
  • hollizmama
    hollizmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have gone to gluten free bread. it is more expensive but it is better.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Why do you believe this?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.

A lot of people who are afraid of vegetables like to claim that "moderation" means eating tiny portions of the "good" stuff and apparently nothing else, no matter how hungry you are. Heaven forbid someone use a lettuce leaf or add vegetables to a stir-fry or pasta.

I'm huge on moderation and "making it fit", I just can't understand why "making it fit" doesn't ever incluce swapping in an egg white or a vegetable. Someone already went off on cauliflower.

I made the comment and eat plenty of vegetables, however can you name one instance in which you swap out bread for lettuce that is as good as it was with bread? Mmmmhmmm

I actually prefer my tuna wraps with lettuce... that's about the only time... but that's my personal preference.
    I use tortilla's for tacos (have substituted- do not like)
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

throne-of-lies.gif
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a question about Ezekiel bread. In my area I only find it frozen and I have bought it several times and when thawed it is like cardboard - tough and dry. How do you store it and how do you thaw it to keep it from having this cardboard texture when you are ready to use it. I liked the taste of it, but couldn't get past the texture.

The texture definitely takes some getting used to. I store it in the fridge to keep the moisture in it and toast it nine times out of 10 when using it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Why do you believe this?

Gluten is a known toxin...
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just started eating bread again. I won't eat crappy white bread, but a good multi seed loaf is delicious & keeps me full for ages. Sandwiches are back on the menu for me:-)

After years of trying to find 'substitutes' for certain foods, I have now concluded that quality over quantity wins in terms of both taste, nutrition & filling me up. I could easily eat half a loaf of white bread in 1 sitting, but would genuinely struggle to eat more than 2 slices of good wholesome multi seed bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    - buy lower calorie bread if you have to
    - eat less sandwiches
    - enjoy your sandwiches when you have them

It's what I do. Not because bread is evil, but because it doesn't fill me up as much for the calories (and nice bakery bread doesn't really either, plus then we have a lot of extra bread that will go bad before it's eaten most of the time).
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lettuce and egg yolk do not mix well....i cant soak up my eggy goodness with lettuce :(
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for bread.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

SRRRIOUSLY
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    corn tortillas, instead of sandwiches make a taco instead, or learn how to make bread at least for me i've found that i eat less of it if i bake it and its actually much better for you
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options

SRRRIOUSLY

SRISLY!