Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Then don't take it...simple as that. It helps a lot of people and maybe it can help me...that is why I am trying it.
    And because someone I know who is very knowledgeable recommended it, and I would rather listen to him then someone who thinks he knows everything. I simply asked if there were any ways that made it easier to take. If you don't have any suggestions, then u are not answering the original question and are not being helpful at all.
    Now I am going to bed. Thank you to everyone who had a helpful suggestion,
    Good night
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I used to try to remember to take a shot of ACV every night after dinner, but I couldn't keep it up after a few months.

However, whenever I think I'm starting to get a cold or want to naturally detox myself from things, I pour a shot into a water bottle with a bit of lemon juice, cayenne & honey. I'll drink 3-4 of those a day & within a couple days I'm all good. Even helped me ward off a flu & bronchitis in January.

Like some people said, though ACV is acidic, it becomes alkaline in your body. The same way citric acid from fruits become alkaline in your body. There have been lots of claims of different health benefits, like those for blood sugar. I particularly like it to boost my immune system and help with digestion.

How does that concoction detox your body?

When I want to boost my immune system I take zinc.
  • wheird
    Options
    Then don't take it...simple as that. It helps a lot of people and maybe it can help me...that is why I am trying it.
    And because someone I know who is very knowledgeable recommended it, and I would rather listen to him then someone who thinks he knows everything. I simply asked if there were any ways that made it easier to take. If you don't have any suggestions, then u are not answering the original question and are not being helpful at all.
    Now I am going to bed. Thank you to everyone who had a helpful suggestion,
    Good night

I'm not sure why you're getting upset.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I've heard that vinegar is good for reflux and heartburn because vinegar is an alkaline and balances out the excess of stomach acid calling the reflux. I don't think there's anything special about apple cider vinegar except it tastes a bit better.

I know pickle juice is good for my hangover, but I think that's just a personal weird hangover thing ;)

I have heard that also about pickle juice!
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I take apple cider vinegar as a natural treatment for gallstones, it is the only thing I have found that will help if I am having an attack. I usually just dilute it in water, it is strong but you get used to the taste. I would rather just put it in a small amount of water and drink it fast and not prolong the whole thing. You can also put it in a tarter juice to help with the taste, I have put it in a tart cherry juice before and found that it masks the taste the best. People are going to hate, if you want to take it take it, even if it is a placebo who the hell cares, lots of what we do with our bodies all comes back to mind over matter anyways. It certianly can't hurt to take apple cider vinegar in small doses.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Haha These people getting upset have obviously not learned how to practice selective attention. Just ignore them if you don't like the answer or think they are being snarky. Just because you ask for advice, doesn't mean you have to follow the advice you get, or defend your point of view from all attackers. You could be wrong, or they could be wrong, take it all with a grain of salt. :drinker:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Quick note about scientific publications. It is required that you present your data, it is required that you present the error in your data and that is basically it. As authors you can attempt to draw conclusions from your data and then leave it up to the reader to interpret based on your honestly presented data.

These authors presented their data appropriately, they showed the data and they showed the error. Those vertical bars represent the uncertainty of their measurement:

F1_medium.gif

Reading from left to right the first bar is the baseline of the group that was given placebo. Note that "baseline" means the measurement of that group before they were given ANYTHING. It is around 7.2 on average but their error is such that it can be anywhere between 6.9 and 7.5. After doing their diet where they included placebo their day 2 measurement averaged around 7.1 but the error was such that it could be between 7.4 and 6.7 which overlaps with the previous baseline so really no significant change between the baseline and day 2.

Next two bars are the vinegar group. Note that this groups baseline (before they were given anything) is as low as the 2 day placebo group. The error again is large enough that it overlaps with everything done in the placebo ranging from about 6.7 to 7.4. After 2 days the group measured with an error range of 7.2 to 6.5 which overlaps with the baseline and overlaps with the other placebo group as well.

There is no significant difference between any of these groups. Who can look at this data and say they are convinced that this shows that vinegar has an effect on blood glucose levels?
  • wheird
    Options
    Haha These people getting upset have obviously not learned how to practice selective attention. Just ignore them if you don't like the answer or think they are being snarky. Just because you ask for advice, doesn't mean you have to follow the advice you get, or defend your point of view from all attackers. You could be wrong, or they could be wrong, take it all with a grain of salt. :drinker:

No one is being snarky. They are legitimate questions that I'm astounded that people that believe these things aren't asking themselves.
  • fatcity66
    Options

No one is being snarky. They are legitimate questions that I'm astounded that people that believe these things aren't asking themselves.

I didn't say anyone was being snarky, I said IF she thought they were. Everyone has their own perceptions.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Honestly if simply asking someone to explain why they think what they are doing is good for them causes them to get upset I'm not sure how much sympathy I have for that.

If you don't have an answer then you probably should try to find one before you just start ingesting things you've anecdotaly heard are good for you.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take it with my salad...Assuming I don't have any other kind of dressing. ;P
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So I have never said that I am upset. I just said I was going to bed. I am just unsure of why I should trust some stranger on MFP instead of people that I know and trust and who know me. Taking ACV is not going to harm me, and if it helps, then what's wrong with it? Lots of people believe in it's health benefits and lots don't...to each his own. But my original question was how to make taking it easier...if you don't take it and don't have any suggestions, then why not move on?
  • MikeLAdams
    MikeLAdams Posts: 40
    Options
    I eat a LOT of salads, and I use either fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, straight, with no oil. I add mint and/or oregano. At the end of the salad, I usually drink down the remaining juice. I try to rinse after that because I don't think the acid is good for your tooth enamel.
  • DomesticG33k
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon once in a while mixed into my water-bottle with a squirt of MISO water flavoring. I know a lot of people add honey and my coworker swears it is what helped her drop 50 lbs (over a long period). Usually I take it because it helps calm stomach acid issues rather than for weight loss. I really don't think it has a significant effect aside from that of the placebo in helping weight loss. It does have other more medicinal system balancing purpose, though!

That is why it was recommended for me. For acid reflux issues and it can also be helpful if you have high blood pressure. Some people believe in it and some don't so I want to give it a try to form my own opinion and see if it helps me. I'm not really doing it for weight loss although some people swear it helps with that too...

If you have acid reflux I would not recommend treating it by drinking acid.

Actually if I remember correctly, reflux comes from a lack of acid. Taking a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar takes care of the problem. I had to take it during my first pregnancy for reflux and it worked wonders. I had to chug a lot of water afterwards though.
  • Rocky791
    Rocky791 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like it best as a salad dressing. I've tried drinking it in water and couldn't really gag it down very easily. I've been taking probiotics and have noticed some benefits from those as well... probably more so than the vinegar.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon once in a while mixed into my water-bottle with a squirt of MISO water flavoring. I know a lot of people add honey and my coworker swears it is what helped her drop 50 lbs (over a long period). Usually I take it because it helps calm stomach acid issues rather than for weight loss. I really don't think it has a significant effect aside from that of the placebo in helping weight loss. It does have other more medicinal system balancing purpose, though!

That is why it was recommended for me. For acid reflux issues and it can also be helpful if you have high blood pressure. Some people believe in it and some don't so I want to give it a try to form my own opinion and see if it helps me. I'm not really doing it for weight loss although some people swear it helps with that too...

Actually if I remember correctly, reflux comes from a lack of acid. Taking a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar takes care of the problem. I had to take it during my first pregnancy for reflux and it worked wonders. I had to chug a lot of water afterwards though.

Oh does it? If that is true I'll admit I didn't know that. Okay then well if acid reflux is in fact caused by low stomach acid then it would make sense that drinking something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice would potentially alleviate the symptoms. That I believe because there is a plausible mechanistic explanation to explain causation of the perceived correlation. I'll have to look that up about acid reflux later, I had assumed it was due to acid rising up into the esophageal lining.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Here is the relevant data from the 2004 study cited by that article. Again I just want to encourage anyone who is reading an article that cites a scientific study if you are going to reference that as evidence please take the time to actually read the actual study and look at the actual data, do not just take an article's word for it. Open squares is 40g vinegar taken with a meal, closed squares is placebo.

F1_medium_1.gif

Here is the link to the study:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281.full

Someone asked what the harm in it is. The harm it is in if you are seeking a remedy then presumably you are suffering from an ailment. If you decide upon magic beans as the way to treat your ailment while you are fiddling with the magic beans what you are not doing is continuing to look for an actual treatment to your ailment. That is the harm.

Call me a smartass, call me unhelpful, call me whatever you want. All I am saying is don't just believe something you hear because someone else told you even if you trust that person. Look at the data, look for the evidence. I'm not telling you to believe me I am telling you to look at the studies, not the blog articles about the studies not whatever person or article or story you can find that agrees with your current viewpoint.
  • peachinator
    peachinator Posts: 27 Member
    Options

We should be friends because I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying and am cracking up over here at your responses. Cheers!
  • fatcity66
    Options

Oh does it? If that is true I'll admit I didn't know that. Okay then well if acid reflux is in fact caused by low stomach acid then it would make sense that drinking something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice would potentially alleviate the symptoms. That I believe because there is a plausible mechanistic explanation to explain causation of the perceived correlation. I'll have to look that up about acid reflux later, I had assumed it was due to acid rising up into the esophageal lining.

You mean you didn't know something?!? :noway:

LOL