Is it true you should eat within 30 minutes of waking up?

Options

Replies

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes...it will wake up your metabolism. Even if it's just half a banana. Imagine that your metabolism is a camp fire and it goes out when you fall asleep. How do you start it again? Throw on some wood. Every three hours you add more wood to keep that fire burning hot. Your food is the wood. Make sense?

Except I've never seen a shred of proof (peer-reviewed journal article, large-scale double-blind study, etc. etc.) that supports your theory. Really glad that eating every 3 hours works for you, that is terrific, but please don't spread your personal experience around as scientific truth.

Oh, and if I had to eat every three hours I would be one seriously unhappy camper as I certainly sleep more than 3 hours a night and there is NO WAY that I would set an alarm to wake me in the middle of the night so I could eat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Come on over, I want to bake more today but have too much cake left so I'm sharing :drinker:

And where would I be going??

Don't tease woman....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    We are talking about home made cake.....this is no joking matter
    Here is the cake that is in my diary (over last weekend) and probably later as I froze some of it...

10255129_10154175674615521_1889661757709010199_n_zps7a73b83f.jpg

In the immortal words of Eddie Murphy..."wanna lick...psyh" :laugh:

I am guessing I am not invited to your cake party...
    Your husband would kick my @$$ :laugh: :laugh:

sure why not but Im coming to the beach too...

as for my husband..no probably not...:tongue: he's not the jealous type...:smokin:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Oh nice, I'll have to try that, I'm all about bacon and baked goods! I made these recently and they were so good... Candied Bacon Dark chocolate Cupcakes with maple frosting

2crppa9.png
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I must be doing it all wrong. I don't eat for at least 4 to 6 hours after I get up. Stupid IF! I'll never lose any weight now!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    sure why not but Im coming to the beach too...

as for my husband..no probably not...:tongue: he's not the jealous type...:smokin:

Ok, come on then. :smile:

He may not be the jealous type, but I am still gonna play it safe. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options

Oh nice, I'll have to try that, I'm all about bacon and baked goods! I made these recently and they were so good... Candied Bacon Dark chocolate Cupcakes with maple frosting

2crppa9.png

YUMM!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love how this went from a "timed nutrition" thread to a "show off your cake" thread.

:) I wants ALL THE CAKE!!!!

Cake is a much more interesting topic!

and all the people spreading misinformation have been summarily "spanked" and won't come back now...so cake it is...
  • andrewolf79
    Options
    hi..actually what i heard is exercise with in 30 min from waking up give a good boost to your metabolism and than have bkfast!! is helping me alot this tip!! and i try not to eat 2 hours before bed... plus no carbs in the afternoon 4 pm onwards..
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want. Period. Your metabolism does not need to be awakened, jump started, turbo charged, or otherwise prodded into life.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For a long time I made sure I ate in the morning and then tried to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day....the problem is that it made me more hungry. I would eat when i woke up just because I wanted to "speed up my metabolism".....but I just stayed the same weight or even gained. I now just track my calories and I eat when I am hungry. If the evening time comes and I am still 700 calories below my goal of 1910 cal/day, I will have a snack. I am losing weight, looking better, and feeling great..............so skipping that breakfast cant be that bad.

I believe that there is some misconception that people are promoting a diet of garbage food, that is a big exageration. People on here are saying if you want to treat yourself to KFC or that Big Mac, that is okay but you have only X amount of calories left that you can take in that day. Generally speaking everyone on here concerned about being healthy is eating the "good stuff" too. I doubt that anyone serious about weight loss is eating two big macs a day and nothing else.

It's funny how someone can trash someone else for eating that cake in the morning but eat a bowl of Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes....whats the difference? Following that logic wouldn't it be worse to eat that cake before bedtime than for breakfast?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It's true, for ME... I'm starving when I wake up. That being said - it doesn't matter when you eat your calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    hi..actually what i heard is exercise with in 30 min from waking up give a good boost to your metabolism and than have bkfast!! is helping me alot this tip!! and i try not to eat 2 hours before bed... plus no carbs in the afternoon 4 pm onwards..

So if I eat my cake at 3:59 I'm good?? But what happens if I'm traveling in different time zones will my body know when it's 4? Can I give you a bit of advice... when reading weight loss tips or whatever.. read it, stop think about it rationally and apply common sense than make a decision.

220px-Common-sense-2.jpg
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't have an appetite for at least an hour or so after waking up. I enjoy my food, forcing myself to eat when I don't feel hungry would seem like a waste of calories.
  • MityMax96
    Options

If it works for you then carry on.

But I can tell you, I ate 300 gr of white rice the other day before I went to bed.
    My last meal comes at around 8pm, and then I am in bed by like 10 or 1030
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.

I go by what my body tells me, not my watch. I can't be bothered (or have the time) to be a clock watcher and time my meals. When I'm hungry I eat, no matter what time of day it is. I stay within my calories and watch my macros. Thats my preference, it works for me. Do what works for you.

And 1lb a week is a great loss.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

What does it matter if you eat 1-3 meals versus 5-6? And what is wrong with eating right before bed?
    the reason for this method of madness lol is eating smaller portions more frequently speeds up your metabolism which in turn assists in weight loss. Also by eating more frequently your less likely to binge......

But it doesn't speed up your metabolism...:huh:

Have you tried it?

It doesn't speed up your metabolism. I have tried it and it didn't work for me at all. I just got fatter, actually, because I ended up eating more calories over the course of the day. Period.

People need to find what works for their own body. OP: I personally don't eat until 5 - 8 hours after I wake up.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options

So if I eat my cake at 3:59 I'm good?? But what happens if I'm traveling in different time zones will my body know when it's 4? Can I give you a bit of advice... when reading weight loss tips or whatever.. read it, stop think about it rationally and apply common sense than make a decision.

220px-Common-sense-2.jpg

Agreed! Common sense works! And also just known yourself. We are all different too!

Like personally (don't do this at home, kids!) I don't eat breakfast. Never liked it, my Mum doesn't either...and if I do have breakfast I am starving hungry by 11. Whereas if I don't have breakfast I can easily last until lunchtime and be satisfied with my lunch...but don't do this at home, kids! Not a weight loss tip whatsoever, it's just what works for my head and body. I know it isn't adviced by anyone and I do not recommend it to anyone!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat. I hardly ever eat breakfast. And it's only because I'm not hungry in the morning unless it's shark week. Also I get to eat more during the evening, which is when I WANT to eat the most. I eat lunch, and eat dinner. That's usually it. I'm not gonna force myself to eat just because it's 8am if i'm not hungry. I'd rather wait and then eat whatever I want in the evening :) 1 lb per week is awesome! I wish I could lose weight that quickly :flowerforyou:

Carbs after 4pm? lol what happens at/after 4pm?
  • MityMax96
    Options

Whatever it is, I hope it involves me and you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Whatever it is, I hope it involves me and you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:devil: