The Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• julslenae
    julslenae Posts: 38 Member
    Options

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

I fell for 1-4. So glad I read some good advice in the forums before damage could be done.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Rule 7 & 12 contradict each other. If I had a "meatless" day, what may I for dinner that has zero carbs and is meatless?

Eggs or fish would be my guess.
    Fish is animal, is flesh, is meat.

Fish is not always considered meat - for example, in Catholic church during Lent, you're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays, but fish is allowed. Some "vegetarians" forgo meat - i.e. chicken, red meat, pork, etc - but will still eat fish. It depends on what Bob's definition of "meat" is in the sense of the book. I don't have the book, so obviously I don't have access to what he's defining meat as - just looking at the rules as posted. No need to be condescending.

Websters says 'meat' = 'animal tissue considered especially as food:' Fish is meat. It's silly to pretend otherwise. Am I being condescending? Depends on whether someone is being willfully obtuse.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Rule 7 & 12 contradict each other. If I had a "meatless" day, what may I for dinner that has zero carbs and is meatless?

Fish is not always considered meat - for example, in Catholic church during Lent, you're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays, but fish is allowed. Some "vegetarians" forgo meat - i.e. chicken, red meat, pork, etc - but will still eat fish. It depends on what Bob's definition of "meat" is in the sense of the book. I don't have the book, so obviously I don't have access to what he's defining meat as - just looking at the rules as posted. No need to be condescending.

Websters says 'meat' = 'animal tissue considered especially as food:' Fish is meat. It's silly to pretend otherwise. Am I being condescending? Depends on whether someone is being willfully obtuse.

Yeah. I think we're talking about real life, not religious/political fictions.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    No! I only looked in the bread section, there is still hope!

You may to freeze Ezekiel bread when not using it. It does this really bizarre thing when exposed to sunlight and room temperatures, it turns these funky blue and green colors. Unlike popular bread which last for weeks and doesn't get these colors. Wonder what causes this to happen?!? Very strange(hehehehe) but yes, keep it in the freezer, it lasts longer.
  • Bella_12356
    Options
    If I drank a large glass of water before every meal my digestion would be horrible.
  • murph1349
    murph1349 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL - I love the "banned book" comment (a ways back by the original poster). People can jump all over "the rules" but a GENERAL following of most of them just causes you to be more aware of what you're eating and to eat healthier. Good luck!
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just like to say sorry again for getting defensive and angry. I felt like people on the thread were forcing beliefs or attributes on me that I didn't actually have and that the thread's changing subject matter from my question of "anyone having success with this" to "following these rules is a stupid thing to do" was offensive. Having perused the site more, I see that pretty much all threads morph away from the actual question to general opinions on the given topic or related topics, and aren't necessarily an attack on the OP. This site is a public venue, and posting the original question does not mean I get to control the way it evolves.

Also, some people here just have very fixed and forceful opinions that are expressed in ways I'm not used to. In the end though, I really do get to do whatever I want and think whatever I want and so does everyone else. So there is no point in wasting energy taking offense, eat your moderate amounts of cheetos (throws cheetos into the crowd). Thanks for the support, the suggestions, the random intense feelings and opinions.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just like to say sorry again for getting defensive and angry. I felt like people on the thread were forcing beliefs or attributes on me that I didn't actually have and that the thread's changing subject matter from my question of "anyone having success with this" to "following these rules is a stupid thing to do" was offensive. Having perused the site more, I see that pretty much all threads morph away from the actual question to general opinions on the given topic or related topics, and aren't necessarily an attack on the OP. This site is a public venue, and posting the original question does not mean I get to control the way it evolves.

Also, some people here just have very fixed and forceful opinions that are expressed in ways I'm not used to. In the end though, I really do get to do whatever I want and think whatever I want and so does everyone else. So there is no point in wasting energy taking offense, eat your moderate amounts of cheetos (throws cheetos into the crowd). Thanks for the support, the suggestions, the random intense feelings and opinions.
    :flowerforyou:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    *catches Cheetos and gently throws them back* "Sorry,:wink: no carbs after dinner or was that lunch?"
  • rebprest
    Options
    *catches Cheetos and gently throws them back* "Sorry,:wink: no carbs after dinner or was that lunch?"

lolololol
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    These sound like terrible rules.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    theres some value and some hogwash, he is a celebrity , and wrote a book to capitolize on it , i am sure if you followed it you would lose weight, but then
    i can sum it up in 1 rule
    Eat Less- Move more.....

its typical pop culture tripe , sort of good advice wrapped in a pleasing package... with a familiar logo...
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Fish is not always considered meat - for example, in Catholic church during Lent, you're not supposed to eat meat on Fridays, but fish is allowed.

The reason fish is allowed on Fridays in Lent by the Catholic Church is so McDonald's could create the Filet-o-Fish. No really. Seriously.

http://pblosser.blogspot.com/2010/12/fish-on-friday-one-that-got-away.html
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It sounds like someone wrote a book about common sense.

If everyone didn't eat processed/junk food there would be very little food related health problems.

Also portion control and exercise more!!!

The worst invention in modern society is junk food.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

See, what you do is post stuff like this and then wait for the firestorm to die down. Sift through the ashes of the thread and friend the supportive people, glean any gold nuggets from the rubble, see if anybody has mentioned a group. The groups are awesome for tips and applying the philosophies to actual life.

ETA - just wait until next year when somebody searches "Skinny Rules" posts something, so it pops back up to the top of the forums and the reburn happens :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    2: Do it all the time.
    6: I don't know if I do it every single day, but most of the time.
    7: Why? I eat them when I want to eat them.
    10: Why? I eat them when I want to eat them.
    11: No way.
    12: Why? I eat meat every single day.
    13: There are healthier fast food selections you can make, but you have to look up the menus online and pay attention to what you eat.
    16: I am double-digit blood pressure, and I make sure I get enough...one size does not fit all. Pickles are not bad...but they are loaded with sodium.
    18: That is just silly, I would not be able to sleep.
    19: How exactly do you sleep "wrong"?
    20: If you are following all the other rules, how do you eat a splurge meal and not break them?

Other than what I listed, I already do all these things, but I would not follow all of these rules, it is a bit much plus I just don't think it matters what time you eat your carbs, total calories per day matters, the end.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    If I drank a large glass of water before every meal my digestion would be horrible.
    Why? Water helps digestion so I am just trying to understand what you mean. The water before the meal helps you not to overeat, I think that is the point although I never read the book. I drink at least a gallon of water a day.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why? Water helps digestion so I am just trying to understand what you mean. The water before the meal helps you not to overeat, I think that is the point although I never read the book. I drink at least a gallon of water a day.
    1. Hunger and thirst are separate processes, so I'm not sure how quenching thirst would regulate hunger.
    2. Is there a particular reason you feel the need to drink a gallon of water a day, and do you count other beverages within that total?
  • rebprest
    Options
    I sometimes feel the only reason this attempt at losing weight has been successful for me when all others have failed is because of my increased water intake. A LOT of the time when I feel hungry I'm actually just super thirsty, and most of the time I don't feel "thirst" per say, so letting that guide me ends with me drinking very little water. I also just feel more energized and retain less sodium when I drink more water (or so it seems, I'm not a scientist). I don't drink a gallon, though, but I do usually have about 100 oz give or take. I've noticed a lot of people seem to think this is too much water and are worried about my intake, but I sweat way more now and I need to replenish!
  • perseverance14
    Options
    1. Hunger and thirst are separate processes, so I'm not sure how quenching thirst would regulate hunger.
    2. Is there a particular reason you feel the need to drink a gallon of water a day, and do you count other beverages within that total?
    If you drink a glass of water before your meal, it helps you to feel fuller with less food, that has been a diet thing for as long as I can remember. There is nothing wrong with drinking a gallon of water a day, what is your point?