My Name is Kelcie and I'm a Sugar Addict

Options
For as long as I can remember, I have loved sweet stuff. Cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, and whatever else I could stuff in my face.

In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I told myself that I HAD to cut out the sugar. It seemed like a daunting task that I never thought I could do. Week after week, I would relapse and get myself a Cosmic Brownie when I stopped into the convenient store. I'd eat it and not even enjoy it. I NEEDED it or I was irritable.

March 3rd, I started my final mission. I told myself that I wouldn't do this again. If I quit, I would just have to be fat and miserable for the rest of my life (talk about punishment). The first week challenged me and I cried almost every day. Seems far fetched, but it's like taking the dope away from the addict. VERY slowly, it got easier.

14 pounds and nearly 3 months later, I don't crave sugar. I don't wake up in the middle of the night searching blindly through cabinets looking for the first sweet thing I can get my hands on.

I'm posting this because of a few reasons. First of all, I'm so proud of myself. I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Replies

• Sztheday
    Sztheday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    14 pounds in 3 months is awesome! Good job!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. Glad you have found a way to control yourself. I am sorry you couldn't control eating moderate amounts of sugar.
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am on the sugar smart diet trying to kick sugar addiction. I stopped all soda and obvious sweets about a year ago but now its time to get a grip on all the sneaky stuff. I am on day 4, feeling it today really cranky its like withdrawal, but I can do this! So good luck to you and I am super proud and inspired by your efforts!
  • KShufflebarger08
    KShufflebarger08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your positive words.

@epazia I understand what you're going through. Drink a ton of water.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Kelcie, this is nothing personal towards you, I'm just assuming you're being cute. But, PLEASE, don't use addiction lingo and words like "sober" to describe your choices of eating candy and sugary stuff. It actually annoys the rest of us, ie, ME, with actual addictions who do 12-step work to recover on a daily basis.

When you have traded sexual favors for cupcakes and candy let me know. Otherwise, please stop.

And I'm sorry if I offended you. That's also part of my recovery work.
  • AT34
    AT34 Posts: 1
    Options
    Kelcie, that is awesome! Congratulations. I too am a sugar addict. I never cared about chips or other junk food, only sweets. I went off of sugar for a while, then as you know, you get hooked again, easily. Then I did something that sounded crazy to me at first - I did a session of weight loss hypnosis (on speaker phone no less!) and I am not sure what has happened, but it's so much easier for me to just walk right by the candy dish at work now. I still want something once in a while, but then ask myself, do I NEED it? And for the very first time, I can tell myself no. I actually have a say in it now. That was April 23rd and I am down 12 lbs :)
    Best of luck to us!:smile:
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Sugar is a sneaky little devil isn't it! So have you reprogrammed your taste buds to not eat sweet things or do you use an all natural sweetener like Truvia?
  • KShufflebarger08
    KShufflebarger08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @AT34 -- weight loss hypnosis, eh? Whatever works!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Kelcie, this is nothing personal towards you, I'm just assuming you're being cute. But, PLEASE, don't use addiction lingo and words like "sober" to describe your choices of eating candy and sugary stuff. It actually annoys the rest of us, ie, ME, with actual addictions who do 12-step work to recover on a daily basis.

When you have traded sexual favors for cupcakes and candy let me know. Otherwise, please stop.

cool beans

im sick of people being unable to make the distinction between mild and extreme addiction. just because someone hasnt sucked a d*ck for something doesnt mean they arent addicted. how else would you describe her behaviour towards sugar?

yeah OK, keep coming back, bro. By the way, you went there. I said nothing nasty and you did, so look at yourself. And one other thing...myob, I wasn't talking to you.

Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

cool beans

im sick of people being unable to make the distinction between mild and extreme addiction. just because someone hasnt sucked a d*ck for something doesnt mean they arent addicted. how else would you describe her behaviour towards sugar?

omgomg lolol lordy
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

yeah OK, keep coming back, bro.
    i will thanks. i quite like this site, great way to kill time
  • mhoghedin
    mhoghedin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ValGogo

Sugar lights up the same reward pathways in the brain as any other addictive substance. When it significantly impacts your life (crying every day because you can't have it), I'd call that an addiction. Don't downplay other's struggles, you should be focused on building people up and encouraging, not breaking them down because they don't fit your definition of addiction.

@Kelcie

Good job, keep going, once you get past the initial cravings it gets a lot easier. Quitting sugar was harder for me than quitting smoking! One thing that worked for me was to try to keep the "Diet" sugar free options minimal, because all too often it will trigger cravings for the real thing.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and gives me hope because I struggle with sugar too. Thank you for sharing!!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    @ValGogo

Sugar lights up the same reward pathways in the brain as any other addictive substance. When it significantly impacts your life (crying every day because you can't have it), I'd call that an addiction. Don't downplay other's struggles, you should be focused on building people up and encouraging, not breaking them down because they don't fit your definition of addiction.

@Kelcie

Good job, keep going, once you get past the initial cravings it gets a lot easier. Quitting sugar was harder for me than quitting smoking! One thing that worked for me was to try to keep the "Diet" sugar free options minimal, because all too often it will trigger cravings for the real thing.

I'm not breaking anyone down. I'm just calling it what it is, and THAT's not what it is. So, go ahead and make fun of it, downplay it, but I challenge any one of you to go up to an "Actual" addict and tell them that.

Oh and don't bother telling me you did. This is an on line forum and I'll just assume you're lying.

Kelcie, good job on curbing your sugar cravings. Just trying to educate you a little.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember, I have loved sweet stuff. Cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, and whatever else I could stuff in my face.

In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I told myself that I HAD to cut out the sugar. It seemed like a daunting task that I never thought I could do. Week after week, I would relapse and get myself a Cosmic Brownie when I stopped into the convenient store. I'd eat it and not even enjoy it. I NEEDED it or I was irritable.

March 3rd, I started my final mission. I told myself that I wouldn't do this again. If I quit, I would just have to be fat and miserable for the rest of my life (talk about punishment). The first week challenged me and I cried almost every day. Seems far fetched, but it's like taking the dope away from the addict. VERY slowly, it got easier.

14 pounds and nearly 3 months later, I don't crave sugar. I don't wake up in the middle of the night searching blindly through cabinets looking for the first sweet thing I can get my hands on.

I'm posting this because of a few reasons. First of all, I'm so proud of myself. I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Congratulations! MFP "wisdom" is to practice moderation rather than abstinence for longterm success. Personally I think abstinence is the best way to get the situation under control. It's EASIER than moderation. Right now I am trying for modest moderation. I eat a Clif bar most days, for instance. I get some sweetness without the rush of an actual cookie or sweet treat. Best of luck in KEEPING it under control.
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be so very proud of yourself. I read somewhere that Sugar is something like 10 times as addictive as cocaine... so "sober" really fits well. 14 pounds in 3 months is awesome. Its not important how fast you lose the weight. What's important is that you keep it off! I've only lost 12 pounds in about 4 months, so you are doing so awesome!
  • steffi29986
    steffi29986 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be so very proud of yourself. I read somewhere that Sugar is something like 10 times as addictive as cocaine... so "sober" really fits well. 14 pounds in 3 months is awesome. Its not important how fast you lose the weight. What's important is that you keep it off! I've only lost 12 pounds in about 4 months, so you are doing so awesome!

Absolutely, exactly what I was going to say. You are doing such a good job, way to go. Keep up with the good work!!
  • ValGogo
    Options

hahaha, you're funny. Ciao, sycophants.
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

How dare you? Sugar IS her addiction... not all addictions are created equal. Just because she isn't hooked on narcotics or has traded sexual favors does NOT mean her addiction is any less severe in her life. Oh, and here are some medically reviewed and/or controlled sites that provide proof that sugar IS an addiction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!