My Name is Kelcie and I'm a Sugar Addict

Options

Replies

• kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be so very proud of yourself. I read somewhere that Sugar is something like 10 times as addictive as cocaine... so "sober" really fits well. 14 pounds in 3 months is awesome. Its not important how fast you lose the weight. What's important is that you keep it off! I've only lost 12 pounds in about 4 months, so you are doing so awesome!

hahaha, you're funny. Ciao, sycophants.

Here are some medically reviewed and/or controlled sites that provide proof that sugar IS an addiction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the sugar addiction. I, too, am a sugar addict (yes, it's a REAL thing!) Mine comes about differently, though. On a regular basis, I don't eat much, if any, however, I go on what I call sugar benders. We're talking scarfing a 3 lb. bag of Laffy Taffy. THREE POUNDS! I don't want the candy. I NEED it! Afterwards, I feel like I'm going to throw up, my heart is pounding and feels like it's going to burst or burst out of my chest, I start sweating profusely, and I honestly don't think I'm going to live to see another day. I promise myself (each time) that it's going to be the last time. That I'm going to get control of it.

I'm still trying.

If that doesn't sound like addiction, then there's no such thing as addiction. Except there is. And it doesn't just come from alcohol (which is...you guessed it...sugar! or other drugs.)

Congratulations on being 3 months sober, and losing 14 pounds!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember, I have loved sweet stuff. Cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream, and whatever else I could stuff in my face.

In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I told myself that I HAD to cut out the sugar. It seemed like a daunting task that I never thought I could do. Week after week, I would relapse and get myself a Cosmic Brownie when I stopped into the convenient store. I'd eat it and not even enjoy it. I NEEDED it or I was irritable.

March 3rd, I started my final mission. I told myself that I wouldn't do this again. If I quit, I would just have to be fat and miserable for the rest of my life (talk about punishment). The first week challenged me and I cried almost every day. Seems far fetched, but it's like taking the dope away from the addict. VERY slowly, it got easier.

14 pounds and nearly 3 months later, I don't crave sugar. I don't wake up in the middle of the night searching blindly through cabinets looking for the first sweet thing I can get my hands on.

I'm posting this because of a few reasons. First of all, I'm so proud of myself. I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

So you went zero carb on this sugar detox, or do you just have no idea what sugar actually is and use a very very narrow definition?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think, and im sure most people do, that nicotine is an addiction but for the 15 years I smoked trading a cigarette for sex never crossed my mind.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be so very proud of yourself. I read somewhere that Sugar is something like 10 times as addictive as cocaine... so "sober" really fits well. 14 pounds in 3 months is awesome. Its not important how fast you lose the weight. What's important is that you keep it off! I've only lost 12 pounds in about 4 months, so you are doing so awesome!

hahaha, you're funny. Ciao, sycophants.

Here are some medically reviewed and/or controlled sites that provide proof that sugar IS an addiction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

Oh is the OP a rodent? and LOL WebMD as a source
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny....the fact that I actually knew what my comment would incite and yet I went and wrote it anyway. And, afterward, seeing that I needed to practice a third step and leave it alone. So my lesson is askign myself "what was my motive in writing what I wrote, knowing if would change nothing?" .

People have the right to be where they are at, regardless of my own experinece.

THAT's recovery, admitting your mistakes and letting stuff go.

So, I retract my sycophant comment and I let it go. Have at it and I pray that none of you actually have to know what it really feels like to be a slave to a substance. It sucks.

3 years 2 months and 27 days.
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @ ValGogo
    A suggestion to expand your own knowledge - pls check out Overeaters Anonymous (OA). I believe they count sugar as any other addictive substance. I think they have a suggested eating program that requires one to never eat anything with sugar above 5 or 6 on the ingredient list, with the thought being that an OA cannot process sugar like other people and that it leads to addictive behavior. As for the sexual favors comment, not everyone's rock bottom is the same. Best of luck with your journey!
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Kelcie, this is nothing personal towards you, I'm just assuming you're being cute. But, PLEASE, don't use addiction lingo and words like "sober" to describe your choices of eating candy and sugary stuff. It actually annoys the rest of us, ie, ME, with actual addictions who do 12-step work to recover on a daily basis.

When you have traded sexual favors for cupcakes and candy let me know. Otherwise, please stop.

And I'm sorry if I offended you. That's also part of my recovery work.

This isn't anything personal towards you either: you can have an addiction to food. If you don't believe me, look for the 12 step program for over-eaters (which also encompasses problems with very sweet foods as well). I've been a part of it, and I've had an eating disorder which destroyed me life. There were points where I was consuming 5-10 thousand calories a day, and I was stealing so much food that I nearly lost my home. So please don't act as though only alcohol/substance addictions are the only ones with problems in terms of addiction, and as though they are the only ones

It's not a part of your recovery work: in 12 step programs, the recovery work includes spreading the helpfulness of the 12 step program and your experiences with it. Not invalidating people's experiences and telling people what experiences they do/do not have.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I think, and im sure most people do, that nicotine is an addiction but for the 15 years I smoked trading a cigarette for sex never crossed my mind.

Whatever.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Question: do you eat any fruit? Because it has sugar in it. Which means you've relapsed.

I am one of the few that disagree with sugar being addictive. Highly palatable, yes, but addictive no. Because how does a person with an addiction moderate what they are addicted to? If they can, then they're NOT an addict. And since there's sugar in fruits and vegetables, then the body is still getting it which doesn't make it a physiological addiction. There's still some debate on whether it's a psychological addiction, but for now I don't think it's addictive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Kelcie, this is nothing personal towards you, I'm just assuming you're being cute. But, PLEASE, don't use addiction lingo and words like "sober" to describe your choices of eating candy and sugary stuff. It actually annoys the rest of us, ie, ME, with actual addictions who do 12-step work to recover on a daily basis.

When you have traded sexual favors for cupcakes and candy let me know. Otherwise, please stop.

And I'm sorry if I offended you. That's also part of my recovery work.

This isn't anything personal towards you either: you can have an addiction to food. If you don't believe me, look for the 12 step program for over-eaters (which also encompasses problems with very sweet foods as well). I've been a part of it, and I've had an eating disorder which destroyed me life. There were points where I was consuming 5-10 thousand calories a day, and I was stealing so much food that I nearly lost my home.

So please don't act as though only alcohol/substance addictions are the only ones.

It's not a part of your recovery work: in 12 step programs, the recovery work includes spreading the helpfulness of the 12 step program. Not invalidating people's experiences.

ok I'm done.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

yeah OK, keep coming back, bro. By the way, you went there. I said nothing nasty and you did, so look at yourself. And one other thing...myob, I wasn't talking to you.

Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
    lol this is an online forum. when you make a post is it open for anyone to read and interpret is as they will. as for me saying something nasty, i suppose the "cool beans" was a little much, but everything else i said was just a response to you undermining people who have trouble with sugar addiction, however mild of an addiction that may be compared to any hard drug.
    I'm not breaking anyone down. I'm just calling it what it is, and THAT's not what it is. So, go ahead and make fun of it, downplay it, but I challenge any one of you to go up to an "Actual" addict and tell them that.

Oh and don't bother telling me you did. This is an on line forum and I'll just assume you're lying.

Kelcie, good job on curbing your sugar cravings. Just trying to educate you a little.
    ive heard that "go up to an addict and tell them that" argument before and i will say the same thing every time, and thats that i will gladly. doesnt mean im insulting them, or undermining their problems, because it is obvious that it is an addiction to a much lesser degree (in most cases anyway). do you disregard nicotine and alcohol addictions so easily?
    i will say that this is totally false
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Question: do you eat any fruit? Because it has sugar in it. Which means you've relapsed.

I am one of the few that disagree with sugar being addictive. Highly palatable, yes, but addictive no. Because how does a person with an addiction moderate what they are addicted to? If they can, then they're NOT an addict. And since there's sugar in fruits and vegetables, then the body is still getting it which doesn't make it a physiological addiction. There's still some debate on whether it's a psychological addiction, but for now I don't think it's addictive.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree with this.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel you have an addiction and want help, then I would recommend seeking the assistance of a 12 step group.

If you think this is something you can address with willpower and moderation, then do it.

Don't throw the words addiction around without truly understanding what they are.
  • serendipitys1003
    serendipitys1003 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great work :-)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kelcie.....I was once an addict - in and out of rehab but I have been clean for almost 10 years!
    In no way would I say you are NOT an addict, if you needed sweets like I needed my drugs then you know addiction just like the rest of us. Sure maybe some would say being a Sugar addict isn't as bad as being addicted to drugs or alcohol but who are we to judge?!

Keep it up!!!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I also agree with this... personally. There is sugar in everything so it's impossible to never have any without eating fruits and veggies. Usually when people cut 'sugar' they are just making better choices like whole foods and not the junk!

BUT good for you for making a commitment that makes you feel good and congratulations on your success! Well done!
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i will say that this is totally false
    [/quote]

You are right... totally false. It was 8 times more addictive. Whoops - typo.
    http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/24/doctor-says-sugar-eight-times-more-addictive-than-cocaine/20837016/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!