10 Mistakes Women Make in the Gym

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    God look at this skinny-fat marathoner. The meatheads on here would have a heart attack after the first 3km.

9890515.jpg

This is her after a 42KM run.

namecalling is not necessary.

She looks amazing.

Agreed- not sure why it's okay for "skinny fat" to get reemed as being inappropriate where as calling someone a meat head is okay?

secondly seriously? 3KM? I'm a "meat head" and I regularly go for 2-3 mile runs with consistent 9-9:30 min miles. "meat heads" regularly do cardio in the cutting season and do a variety of stairs and jogging. Of course we aren't going to go be competitive at a local 10K- but why would we be- we aren't training for- much like if a marathon runner came in to try to squat 250 -they might actually urinate on themselves.

It's a useless comparison to try to say oh a lifter can't run- of course they can- they just chose not to so insulting them for not being able to be competitive at something they don't train at is just plain stupid and inflammatory.

I'd like to point out the two ladies posted above Lauren Fleshman and Flo-Jo- heavy into track and field. Fleshman made the recent conversion to long distances- and she is obviously lacking the same musculature as a her track only comparison here.

She definitely doesn't look bad- but there is a big difference between track and long distance.

That being said- I think it's not hard to figure out she came from a shorter distance filed- she's carried over some of that meat.

I also don't understand why she's wearing boxing wraps??
    Spare me. There are lots of posters on here (you're not one of them) that deride cardio as useless. There's even posters on here that think doing 30 minutes, a pittance of cardio, will somehow drain one of all energy.

You're not a meathead. Not even close. The duncecap meathead that posted last week that aspartame causes cancer - that guy is dumber than a pile of rocks.

I do find your speculation rather annoying though. Why not ask Lannie Marchant her history? @LJM5252
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    God look at this skinny-fat marathoner. The meatheads on here would have a heart attack after the first 3km.

9890515.jpg

She looks amazing.
    I thought everyone posting photos was trying to prove the article wrong. Article said too much cardio/running makes you skinny fat. So everyone has been posting photos with sarcastic responses because the author is just wrong.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back later when I have more time to comment. But I will say that I almost shut down completely as soon as the article referenced "Skinny Fat". This idiotic phrase is one of my pet peeves! And I find it very difficult to take anyone seriously who uses it.
    im not a huge fan of the term either considering is a pretty big oxymoron, but it really is the best way to describe someone who has alot of fat and little muscle

i dont get whny people dont liek the term. it seems to make sense to me

skinyy = refers to size
    fat = refers to a high body fat %

seems logical
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

9890515.jpg

She looks amazing.
    I thought everyone posting photos was trying to prove the article wrong. Article said too much cardio/running makes you skinny fat. So everyone has been posting photos with sarcastic responses because the author is just wrong.

Truth. And I agree she looks amazing. But calling someone a meathead is not sarcasm, and not necessary.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

9890515.jpg

She looks amazing.

Truth. And I agree she looks amazing. But calling someone a meathead is not sarcasm, and not necessary.
    I like being called a 'meathead'.........it lets me know I am doing it right
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back later when I have more time to comment. But I will say that I almost shut down completely as soon as the article referenced "Skinny Fat". This idiotic phrase is one of my pet peeves! And I find it very difficult to take anyone seriously who uses it.
    im not a huge fan of the term either considering is a pretty big oxymoron, but it really is the best way to describe someone who has alot of fat and little muscle

skinyy = refers to size

seems logical

It is logical.

The argument, for me anyway, is that it doesn't matter how much body fat you have--if you are happy with your look. THAT IS the point. We, the rest of the community, should not condemn your "skinny fatness" because we think you should build more muscle .
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read more later...
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

skinyy = refers to size

seems logical

It is logical.

The argument, for me anyway, is that it doesn't matter how much body fat you have--if you are happy with your look. THAT IS the point. We, the rest of the community, should not condemn your "skinny fatness" because we think you should build more muscle .

so what you dont like is the contxt in which it is used sometimes?. not the actual term?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    In general, I agree with the article, but there is some definite broseph content going on.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    GREAT article. Thanks for sharing this. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I posted the one of Flo because I was a) diverting attention away from some of the body bashing we seem to moving toward and b) I saw it on that site and thought WHOA those are hot legs.

I agree... I'm not a track and field star - I'm SLOOOOW at running. But I do run, and swim, and have awesome cardio. And I box and lift too. :-D

Calling names is so ridiculous! I totally agree. And Jo, you are such an inspiration to me!

As for the "wraps" I looked closer and they don't look like wraps... more like arm sleeves or arm warmers. They're too loose to be actual wraps. :)

Flo does have fab legs- I lvoe sprinter's legs. 'hose hammy's!!!
    I think my only comment was to bring attention to the fact sprinters and distance runners will not look the same- (you don' tdo it) but many people like to drag up sprinter's picutres and see- a runner- she's not a skelaton" well no- but she's also a not a marathon runner. They are just two different balls of wax.

Yeah I wasn't sure- I just didn't understand the wraps (although they do look cool LOL)
    It was an Oiselle runway show. The picture is actually from her website. This is her "After." She also shows her belly roll from two days before. It's really pretty cool.

The point is, ignoring the name calling (which I don't support), is that it's not the cardio exercise that makes you skinny fat but under eating. Undereating while doing no exercise at all will, of course, get you there that much faster.

Also, you are faster than me.

cool- looks like a shoot from somewhere- i'm limited at work and my computer keeps crashing anyway- so I wasn't about to go to far into googling. LOL

Well- I agree to a point- under eating and lifting will get you a different results vs under eating and not lifting. the key is you must be not eating enough because you're weight is light for frame- I suspect a lack of muscle definition just makes it all that much worse.

I actually personally don't find it offensive- because to me it's more or less a description of a body type- BUT - I think it's taken on a very negative connotation with the "strong is the new skinny" mantra we are seeing everywhere (which despite me being a lifter I find insipid as hell)

LOL- I'm not an avid runner- I just fortunately ran quiet a bit in school and I"m not sure how I retained the mental fortitude to force under 10 min miles- I wish I ran more to see if I could get into the low 9 high 8' min mile but- I'm just way to lazy and don't like it.
    :D
    Spare me. There are lots of posters on here (you're not one of them) that deride cardio as useless. There's even posters on here that think doing 30 minutes, a pittance of cardio, will somehow drain one of all energy.

You're not a meathead. Not even close. The duncecap meathead that posted last week that aspartame causes cancer - that guy is dumber than a pile of rocks.

I do find your speculation rather annoying though. Why not ask Lannie Marchant her history? @LJM5252

spare you what?
    it is 100% inappropriate to call someone a meat head- much like it's inappropriate to call someone a skinny piece of *kitten*.

Name calling is NEVER necessary.

As for me- I actually don't particularly care for cardio. I don't like it- but that doesn't mean I don't DO it. It serves it's purpose. But I have to really make myself do it. And even the most adamant of lifters will knowledge that cardio serves a purpose- even if they chose not to do it.

And let's be real- 30 minutes CAN drain you if you aren't used to it. It's all a matter of what your body is accustomed too- it's like saying 3 miles isn't very far- well for a marathon runner- it's not even a warm up- but for the 350 pound woman- that IS her marathon.

And can you please be clear about my speculation? speculation on what?

I didn't speculate on those two women- I looked them up -the were both track and field stars.

what does that woman have to do with anything? I'm confused?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I posted the one of Flo because I was a) diverting attention away from some of the body bashing we seem to moving toward and b) I saw it on that site and thought WHOA those are hot legs.

I agree... I'm not a track and field star - I'm SLOOOOW at running. But I do run, and swim, and have awesome cardio. And I box and lift too. :-D

Calling names is so ridiculous! I totally agree. And Jo, you are such an inspiration to me!

As for the "wraps" I looked closer and they don't look like wraps... more like arm sleeves or arm warmers. They're too loose to be actual wraps. :)

Flo does have fab legs- I lvoe sprinter's legs. 'hose hammy's!!!
    I think my only comment was to bring attention to the fact sprinters and distance runners will not look the same- (you don' tdo it) but many people like to drag up sprinter's picutres and see- a runner- she's not a skelaton" well no- but she's also a not a marathon runner. They are just two different balls of wax.

Yeah I wasn't sure- I just didn't understand the wraps (although they do look cool LOL)
    It was an Oiselle runway show. The picture is actually from her website. This is her "After." She also shows her belly roll from two days before. It's really pretty cool.

The point is, ignoring the name calling (which I don't support), is that it's not the cardio exercise that makes you skinny fat but under eating. Undereating while doing no exercise at all will, of course, get you there that much faster.

Also, you are faster than me.

cool- looks like a shoot from somewhere- i'm limited at work and my computer keeps crashing anyway- so I wasn't about to go to far into googling. LOL

Well- I agree to a point- under eating and lifting will get you a different results vs under eating and not lifting. the key is you must be not eating enough because you're weight is light for frame- I suspect a lack of muscle definition just makes it all that much worse.

I actually personally don't find it offensive- because to me it's more or less a description of a body type- BUT - I think it's taken on a very negative connotation with the "strong is the new skinny" mantra we are seeing everywhere (which despite me being a lifter I find insipid as hell)

LOL- I'm not an avid runner- I just fortunately ran quiet a bit in school and I"m not sure how I retained the mental fortitude to force under 10 min miles- I wish I ran more to see if I could get into the low 9 high 8' min mile but- I'm just way to lazy and don't like it.
    :D

Well, cardio is cardio is cardio. And, if we're saying that "decent joggers" become skinny fat, then I think FloJo falls into that category. One thing about marathoners is that your body just can't push out the heat fast enough if you are high-mass. So, somebody like FloJo will simply overheat and crash at some point when running a 6 minute mile. The other thing is the drag that carrying weight causes, even if it's muscle. It's not that running distance necessarily CAUSES muscle loss (at least not enough to drive skinny-fat) it's that smaller, leaner people are more likely to become elite distance runners because of the biology of running.

I hear what you are saying about deficit lifting vs. deficit cardio. I realized today that my natural habits drive me into that hole. I don't have great fast twitch muscle fibers - so I don't have a whole lot of explosive power. This makes me naturally lean toward endurance activities. And I naturally eat at a slight deficit with "hungry days" when I don't track (or track well). So, I've got to make a permanent change somewhere, otherwise I'll always end up fat or skinny and not built like I want to be.

I don't get the wraps either. They aren't long enough to be effective arm warmers? Maybe just for wiping your nose when it gets drippy? They do look badass though.

I wasn't referring to skinny-fat as name calling (although, it seems like another term that's been co-opted for body hate) but "meat head." That wasn't cool.

I totally agree with you about "strong is the new skinny" especially because it seems like "skinny with a little bit of definition is the new skinny." I mean, the fitness models don't look like powerlifters do they?

I know you're not an avid runner. I find it amusing that I consider myself a "runner" albeit a new one. You don't necessarily describe yourself that way. And you would still kick my hiney in a 5k. Give me a couple of years though :wink:
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options

skinyy = refers to size

seems logical

It is logical.

so what you dont like is the contxt in which it is used sometimes?. not the actual term?

No I don't really like the term either--but agree the description fits.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

skinyy = refers to size

seems logical

It is logical.

No I don't really like the term either--but agree the description fits.

gotcha
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Well, cardio is cardio is cardio. And, if we're saying that "decent joggers" become skinny fat, then I think FloJo falls into that category. One thing about marathoners is that your body just can't push out the heat fast enough if you are high-mass. So, somebody like FloJo will simply overheat and crash at some point when running a 6 minute mile. The other thing is the drag that carrying weight causes, even if it's muscle. It's not that running distance necessarily CAUSES muscle loss (at least not enough to drive skinny-fat) it's that smaller, leaner people are more likely to become elite distance runners because of the biology of running.

I hear what you are saying about deficit lifting vs. deficit cardio. I realized today that my natural habits drive me into that hole. I don't have great fast twitch muscle fibers - so I don't have a whole lot of explosive power. This makes me naturally lean toward endurance activities. And I naturally eat at a slight deficit with "hungry days" when I don't track (or track well). So, I've got to make a permanent change somewhere, otherwise I'll always end up fat or skinny and not built like I want to be.

I don't get the wraps either. They aren't long enough to be effective arm warmers? Maybe just for wiping your nose when it gets drippy? They do look badass though.

I wasn't referring to skinny-fat as name calling (although, it seems like another term that's been co-opted for body hate) but "meat head." That wasn't cool.

I totally agree with you about "strong is the new skinny" especially because it seems like "skinny with a little bit of definition is the new skinny." I mean, the fitness models don't look like powerlifters do they?

I know you're not an avid runner. I find it amusing that I consider myself a "runner" albeit a new one. You don't necessarily describe yourself that way. And you would still kick my hiney in a 5k. Give me a couple of years though :wink:
    this makes me happy to actually just talk about this. it's so rare here. sigh- YAY.

well yes- but FloJo lifts- as sprinters often do. And their workouts often are more varied than a distance runners- by nature of the event... which is kind of why I hate when people drag sprinters into skinny fat discussions.
    She would totally crash trying to grind out that kind of milage at that speed- plus she's big for that- it's like doing pull ups- the smaller you are the easier it is!!!

maybe they are snot wipers (that would be kind of awesome actually)

I know it wasn't you- mostly just musing- since the three of us noted it has come up and it's not cool.

Meh- you'll kick my *kitten* sooner rather than later. I'm gifted genetically with good parents and good genes and a balls tough mentality- but I don't train for it- so you'll whip my butt any day.

I was just telling the triatholon guy who is across the hall from me- I'm considering doing a 10 K this summer... we'll see- I'm lazy.

**** gotta go- BF is here.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for sharing!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I got as far as the "ugly face" part before my eyes rolled so far back that I could see the inside of my skull. I get cr@p CONSTANTLY at the gym for looking too "serious" or "scary," when in reality I'm just zoning out and concentrating. One of my favorite comments ever was when some very 80s-looking bro with a tank top and a mullet came over to tell me to smile because I was "bringing down the vibe of the room." Maybe next time I'll try grinning like an insane cheerleader while I lift.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Love. Especially the ugly face...Mine is very wolverine-like.
  • JoRocka
    Options

**** gotta go- BF is here.

LOL just to clarify- this was not a bad thing...

he was supposed to be on his way home- he surprised me with flowers and is staying one extra night. :love:

love that guy