You asked for it... Cauli-crust pizza (pics)

Options

Replies

• elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I let the cauliflower cool but didn't wring it out and made it with 1 egg/cup of cauliflower and maybe 1/4 c cheese. Stuck badly to waxed paper, so I'm trying again with less egg and following directions better. The result I had stuck to the wax paper was able to be scraped off and was like a frittata...not a total failure but my husband said it wasn't bad but he'd only want it for "breakfast pizza"
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crazyda79
    crazyda79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious!! I can't wait to try it!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I let the cauliflower cool but didn't wring it out and made it with 1 egg/cup of cauliflower and maybe 1/4 c cheese. Stuck badly to waxed paper, so I'm trying again with less egg and following directions better. The result I had stuck to the wax paper was able to be scraped off and was like a frittata...not a total failure but my husband said it wasn't bad but he'd only want it for "breakfast pizza"

I'm not sure why you would have to wring out your cauliflower? what are you doing to it before you use it in the crust?
    All i do is take my head of cauli and food process it to the size of rice (while it's raw) enough to make about 2 cups of it... then i microwave it for 2 minutes

give it a min or two to stop steaming and add the cheese and egg.... put it on parchment paper NOT wax paper, wax paper shouldn't be going in the oven it burns/melts, cuz of the wax.
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why you would have to wring out your cauliflower? what are you doing to it before you use it in the crust?
    All i do is take my head of cauli and food process it to the size of rice (while it's raw) enough to make about 2 cups of it... then i microwave it for 2 minutes

give it a min or two to stop steaming and add the cheese and egg.... put it on parchment paper NOT wax paper, wax paper shouldn't be going in the oven it burns/melts, cuz of the wax.

Got it, the second round worked out much better...I had some frozen cauliflower to use up, so it was pretty moist and I see that others have blotted with paper towels prior to grating/mixing etc and I didn't do that. And of course it makes sense that waxed paper was a mistake...tin foil worked ok, though i would expect it may make burning easier too. Thanks for the feedback!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump...making it for dinner!
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump!!!!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Okay, I *loved* it so much that I forgot to take a picture!

I used 1.5 bags of frozen cauliflower (nuked it first), 1 cup of cheese, 1 egg white and 1 egg, and a few tablespoons of fresh herbs (fennel, oregano, rosemary). It make a full cookie sheet of "dough" and I cut it up into slices like breadsticks and had a few plain with a green salad for dinner.

I think if I had put tons of toppings on it would have disguised the cauliflower taste (there's no mistaking it for pizza dough, but it's still amazing!) but since I like cauliflower there was no problem.

Thanks so much for the recipe! I will definitely make it again and I still have half a pan for tomorrow's lunch!
  • brittyboo07
    brittyboo07 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this at home by myself first for lunch and then try it for the rest of the family! thanks for sharing!
  • kimmyl69
    Options
    Has anyone ever attempted making the crust using cauliflower from the frozen section?? Or is it best to use fresh?
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I used frozen cauliflower -- I nuked it (2 bags worth) for 4 minutes, let it cool then rough-chopped it with a chef's knife. The pieces were larger than rice but it still worked just fine! I also smooshed it with a paper towel before adding other ingredients and baking, just to get some of the water out.

I might buy a head of cauliflower today and try that to compare. I believe with the raw cauli (not frozen) you are supposed to grate it or food processor it while raw and then nuke it.
  • kimmyl69
    Options
    I used frozen cauliflower -- I nuked it (2 bags worth) for 4 minutes, let it cool then rough-chopped it with a chef's knife. The pieces were larger than rice but it still worked just fine! I also smooshed it with a paper towel before adding other ingredients and baking, just to get some of the water out.

I might buy a head of cauliflower today and try that to compare. I believe with the raw cauli (not frozen) you are supposed to grate it or food processor it while raw and then nuke it.

Thanks...let me know how it fresh cauliflower vs frozen compares...interested to find out!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever attempted making the crust using cauliflower from the frozen section?? Or is it best to use fresh?

If using frozen cauliflower: prepare according to package directions. After cooked and slightly cooled, I shred cauliflower with a cheese grater, and then measure for the recipe. (Don't pack down the cup with cauliflower. Just fill it with a spoon or the cup itself.)

if it seems overly wet you might want to squeeze out some liquid
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I may have to try this......
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Just made this for dinner for the four of us. Wow! It was great and everyone liked it. Even the picky kid in the family ate it with few complaints.

The crust was hand holdable and had a great texture. Definitely making this again.
  • sloanjr1
    sloanjr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WOW!!
  • AMHA32
    AMHA32 Posts: 23
    Options
    YUM!!!!

I used frozen cauliflower...I don't have a food processor or a grater so I just cut the cauliflower up into very fine pieces. I used the less cheese/egg recipe. I loaded my pizza with veggies, but, put pepperoni on one small sliver to see if my boyfriend would try it (he has a serious aversion to most vegetables and makes faces from the smell of cooked veggies). However, the crust came out beautifully browned and the "pizza" was able to be held and eaten. He tried a small bite and proclaimed it "not bad".

Of course the crust doesn't taste exactly like dough, but, I loved it!! I bet you could practically make thin "bread" sticks to go along with the pizza!
  • r_jen
    r_jen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    omg, Thank yous oooo much.. I am so excited to try this
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I buy about one cauliflower a year... and then forget to use it! I might try this next time :)