WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Late last night my son had to make a trip to the ER. He had an allergic reaction (he has the same fish allergy as I do) after eating Ramen Noodles, of all things. It's really scary when it happens, and they kept him overnight to make sure he was ok, but he's home now. It's scary how many things are contaminated with fish in some way. Who would have thought about noodles? But it says right on the package that they are manufactured in a plant where fish is also processed. Don't they clean their equipment in those places?! Good grief.

Not much sleep last night, but we managed to get ourselves to the gym this morning. Then watered the garden. Now I'm going back to bed.

Hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia
  • missystate
    Options
    Thank you Barbie
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Heather: if you DO drink this evening, will you promise to post, for the enjoyment of your friends? :laugh: :wink:
    Cynthia
  • teri865
    teri865 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kim! Congrats on the lb... even if just 1 it is an accomplishment... smiles!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Good Morning beautiful ladies. Hope all are doing well today. This is my short day and I work the weekend. Tonight we are going to a going away supper for a couple from our CMA group. Going to ride the motorcycle to St Paul so hope the weather doesn't rain till we get home.
    DH got a text Wednesday that his sister had a heart cath and the found two blockages. This morning she finally called and said the doctor wants to do a 3 way bypass. She has been dieabtic since age 9 and does daily home dailysis. She is trying to get the heart doctor and her other doctors to agree on the right treatment. She lives in Kansas and makes me so mad as they don't tell us what is going on and then when it gets to the point like this we are not sure what we should do. So just praying.

jscoachwife--I used to live in Holdrege, like 30 years ago. I have a step daughter that lives in Beatrice. Nice to have you join us.

Sue--glad your trip went well and congrates on the weight loss. Sorry to hear about your hail damage. I hope your repairs go well. Last year we had the roof replaced and siding and it took almost 6 months. Now when the weather gets bad I worry about having to do it again. Insurance did pay all but $500, but the mess and how long it took about did me in.

Renny--congrates on your weight loss. Keeping you and mom in my prayers. I agree baby is a cutie.

Sandy--glad you are safe and congrates on getting back to your May weight.

Welcome Phyllis and Debbie, You have come to a great place for support on this lifestyle change. Come often and get to know us and us you.

Yesterday was so of a hard day, it was 15 years ago that our oldest son died. Somedays feel like just yesterday. So did my best to stay busy and got alot of steps in. Also went to Shopko last evening and got a pair of demin shorts. So happy as another size down. I am where I was in high school. Which could be sad as size 20, but I am happy.

Carol--I get those night cramps and have to get up to walk around. Glad you are going to the doctor and getting checked out. Keep us posted. Glad your doctor is checking everything out. Stress is not an easy thing to work on sometimes. One Day at a time!

Heather--glad you heard from DS. I know how we worry about them.

Kim--Good for you doing it yourself. Congrates on the weight loss.

Allison--Hugs. For all you do he should be thanking you. Hope that you and DB get some relax time this weekend.

Patty--Hugs to you. I know how you feel, there are so many changes going on where I work that I worry that I may not have a job. So does DSIL about have the project about done?

Katiebug--congrates on the loss and enjoy your lunch. Sounds like company will be good.

Sylvia--how scary. I have problems with nuts and have to really watch.

Well ladies it is about time to walk home. Going to be a hot walk but sure feel better when I am done. Check back in tomorrow. Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Vicki: :flowerforyou:
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! What a week it has been! I have been in training all week and the good part is that I've been so focused on learning a new skill that the munchies have not had the time to catch up with me and I've been so tired that sleep has come easily.Now the weekend has come and it's supposed to be beautiful in sunny Massachusetts, USA. Plan on getting out into the garden and getting in some real workout time on the elliptical. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It’s a beautiful day here in South Jersey, sunny, no humidity and pleasant temps. So glad its Friday, no big plans for the weekend….Hubby and I are cleaning the house this weekend. But he surprised me yesterday and had already started upstairs. That gives us more time to get it done early and enjoy the rest of the weekend. I am very lucky to have him. He does laundry, too. No, I am not lending him out! :laugh:
    Julie – I have had both plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. For the plantar fasciitis, my podiatrist molded orthotics for my shoes, gave me exercises to do and I had a boot I slept in that kept my foot in the correct position. For the Achilles tendonitis, I bought new shoes to walk in and ditched the orthotics (they were 13 years old). I bought “Super Feet” inserts and some Dr. Scholl’s inserts. I actually wear them both in my walking shoes now. My DH was doing this and I thought he was crazy, but then when I went to Physical Therapy, she was doing it too! So I did the therapy, wear the inserts and my feet are much happier!

For those in the Midwest, I saw bad storms again yesterday, hope you are all safe. My DS was locked in her bathroom with her dog as the sirens were going off. She lives in an apartment in Wisconsin on the 2nd floor and there’s nowhere else to go.

To all of you having struggles, peace.

To all losing….. Congratulations! I haven’t logged my weight (which is why it always reads “lost 5 lbs”…. that was over 1 year ago. I keep trying, but I know what I am doing wrong… just need to get some of your sticktoitness…….)

To those travelling….. Safe and happy trails to you. Can’t wait for my trips this summer, going to St. Louis for a family wedding on DH’s side of the family and then to the beach in Delaware for family time with my side of the family. We are planning something for October for just us, but not sure where yet. So many choices!

Exercise today - Walking 40 minutes around Philly with my friend in this beautiful weather!

Happiness,
    Kathy
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :grumble: What is wrong with me!! I have logged my food but still I'm looking for nibbles :angry: Think I'll brush my teeth that should stop me putting food into my mouth.:huh:

Why is it I get like this on an evening. Well rant over I am going to do something positive to make up for the extra calories - time to get the keep fit DVD on to get a work out.

See you in the morning.

Viv UK :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. Boy did I sleep last night. The night before was very fitful. I don't like to take anything to help with sleep and my insurance will no longer cover prescription sleeping aid so I depend on non prescription aids. I had never thought of lavender oil. It's my bladder that wakes me up. I don't go that often during the day at all but at night it really bothers me. One of the medicines I have taken in the past to deal with MS issues but I have taken Baclofen and when I start any meds of that classification it really makes me sleepy. Well, I know it's wrong especially for a nurse, my sister had a good amount of the prescription left when her doctor switched her medicine and she gave me her bottle. She always gets a 3 month supply of her medicines so it was a good amount. So that is one of my go to meds to help me sleep. I use it rarely. I mainly use my Wild Lettuce leaf or Benadryl but the Benadryl has pretty much stopped working and the Wild lettuce leaf really has to be timed just right before I go to bed. So I am laying in bed last night and sleep just seems like it a million miles away. So last night I take a Baclofen. I took it at 1:06 AM and I woke up at 1 PM!!!!! I did get up once to potty. somehow my FitBit didn't register my sleep last night but it doesn't matter, I know I slept well.

I am the construction person of our marriage also. I built 3 swing sets, 1 sandbox, 3 closet organizers, 3 entertainment centers, numerous bookcases, 3 desks, 2 file cabinets. You name it, I build it. My husband just dumps things out of the box and starts putting it together. I make sure everything they say is in the box IS in the box, place everything out on the flood, all the screws in something so they don't roll around, match A to A things, etc. I put it together and then Charlie make sure it is tight. I'm the brains, he is the brawn. So in the end we are doing it together. I can't do it without him, he can't do it without me. We both realize it and it's a system that has worked for 42 years. When we moved my Mom into her retirement home apartment me, my SIL and Mom provided the tool boxes! None of the guys came with any tools in hand. So us women have to come prepared and know how to use what we have.

I am another one that is stuck in weightloss. It is depressing and discouraging.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~have a good one.
    Been cleaning.
    hugs
    jane
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just a quickie before I go to bed :yawn: :yawn:

Managed to do Lesley Sansone's 5 mile walk and I'm exhausted. Ended up with over 15,000 steps on my fitbit.though so I am pleased with that :happy: Now if only I can be consistent.

G'night ladies see you in the morning. :yawn:

Viv in muggy York UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just started using MyFitnessPal today. I live in Cetral Florida. In Dec of 2012, I had lapband put in. I weighed 294 lbs, within 4 months I had lost 50 lbs. So for the past 1 year and a couple months I have not lost any more. I stay between 244-248 without any problems, but can seem to lose more. I recently started exercising and hope that will help. Hope that joining this message board will be helpful. I see a lot of good comments.

Welcome! This is a great thread for motivation.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi hi! I thought I’d post now because we are going out with friends for Indian food tonight, and I’m not sure when we’ll be back. It’s hot here today and windy but no storms in sight! It’s been a quiet day; I finished the grocery shopping and have been reading, and that’s about it!

47Jacqueline: sounds like you are meeting your goals! Good job!

Carol: great attitude about the job. You are so right about life being short! One thing I have noticed at the y is that no one cares how you look in a swim suit or shorts. There are people there who are horribly overweight….some can hardly walk….and they get right in there too. It’s very liberating! Funny….it’s usually the older ladies who are less inhibited. The buff young ones are the ones who cover up from head to toe while changing or change in the toilet stalls. The old ladies just don’t care who sees them. I have learned a lot about being comfortable in my own skin from them.

Kim: I hope Michele has some good ideas for you!

Viv: nice to see you again. Safe travels!

Alison: (((hugs)))) No one deserves that

Cynthia: so how do you get your fitbit to vibrate at you? Mine never has

Yanniejannie: glad you didn’t have more damage from the storm. I wonder why the weather seems to vicious this year???

Patty: wow that is a crazy busy idea! I guess I can’t talk…I was finishing a phd, working full time of course, traveling back and forth to Russia adopting the kids, and building a house. What was I thinking? Now I’m glad I did it all but back then, whew!!!!!

Heather: I don’t think I noticed it before (or is that a new pic) but the color of that dress/top is absolutely magnificent!!! Send best wishes to Amanda.

Carol; I think a lot of jobs are like yours….foolish decisions that don’t save money in the long run and short-changing their employees when the people who do the work can be cost savers for them. I’m so glad you got some well-deserved sleep!

Cindy: glad you are enjoying some nice weather!

Dr.Katie: congrats on the moving scales!

Sylvia: om gosh so sorry about ds!!! I would have never thought ramen would have fish contamination! I guess it’s good they put that on the label, but I wouldn’t have thought to read it!

Vicki: sending you hugs on the anniversary of your ds’s death. It must never get easier. I’m so sorry. I was happy to hear that you are a size smaller! That is great news!

Kathy: a second floor apartment is scary in a storm. Is there an interior hallway she can go to? If not, the bathroom is a good option because all the plumbing offers strength and reinforcement to the walls.

Joyce: glad to hear you got some good sleep. I’m sorry you are discouraged!

Oh, yesterday it was the cats’ turn at the vet. He pulled the smaller one out of the kennel and said “OMG this cat is huge”. I just about died laughing and said “Wait til you see the other one; this one is small”! They are both healthy and it’s nice to have a healthy pet for a change. I usually am nursing one kind of animal or another. He did say their teeth were gorgeous….kudos to DD#2 who brushes them faithfully!

OK off to get ready for the evening. I have no idea what I’m going to eat, but at least Indian food is usually healthy and there are lots of vegetarian choices!!! Take care, Meg from windy Omaha
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    RYAN'S!!!! Good grief! But we let the teacher who was leaving choose and that's the restaurant the skinny thing chose.

I did reasonably well. I fixed a good salad with no fattening add-ons and just drizzled some house dressing on it. Then I went to the entree bar and got 4 little pieces of orange chicken and one small piece of some kind of barbecued pork plus more salad on the rest of that plate.

No dessert, no bread, no starchy veggies and water to drink. I would have gotten some grilled squash, but I didn't see it until I had already filled my plate with more salad.

Overall, I would call it another victory for day 5 of the recommit.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Meg, Indian food, oh, I love it! (You do mean India Indian, right?)
    Vibrating Fitbit: it vibrates when I hit a certain number of calories burned on that day. I have the Flex; maybe that's the only one that does that? You can also use it as a silent alarm clock by setting the time you want it to vibrate.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Took the dog for an early morning walk today before it got hot. High of 88* and possible storms tonight. Also went to the wellness center this afternoon so getting my exercise in. DH is still out of town so nice quiet house. Did a little shopping and got the dog some new toys on clearance. We had to throw two of hers away as they had holes in them.

Glad that sleep issues are better for some of you. I am still taking Ambien as I am still on prednisone and that disrupts sleep. Will be off of it soon thank goodness!

Well need to get a little more housework done. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg, am I supposed to be brushing my cats teeth??? I value my skin to much for that! She is a fat cat now to. But she is at a weight that I have always thought was normal for a cat. Our other cats have always been 'filled out'. When I first took Melody to the vet she was about 8 pounds, the next week it was a little more and obese was listed as a diagnosis. Now she is 11.2 pounds which I know is probably about 2 pounds more than last year. We did have her on Iams food for stomach issues but we changed her to Meow mix when she was not having any problems anymore. Actually Charlie felt that surely she must want different tastes just like we do and Meow mix listed all these different flavors, it also lists all these different addtitives. But it's cheaper which speaks to his wallet. Then he used to leave a good amount of chocolate on his Weight watcher's fudge bar for her to finish for him 'since she loves it so much'. We finally convinced him that she shouldn't do that because it's like poison to her. He gives her other people food. Now when he eats his fudge bar he gives her the Temptations treat. She eats about 12-15. I have finally gotten that down to about every 3rd night. She is petrified of my can of air that I have for my computer cleaning. So when he eats his fudge bar all I have to do is to pick up that can of air, it's empty now, and she hides!!!! I wish I could get her so that she just accepts the fact that she just can't have that because I hate scaring her like I do. But even though to a doctor she may be overweight, to us she looks like she should.

Joyce, Indiana. It's hot but not muggy
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good Morning beautiful ladies. Hope all are doing well today. This is my short day and I work the weekend. Tonight we are going to a going away supper for a couple from our CMA group. Going to ride the motorcycle to St Paul so hope the weather doesn't rain till we get home.
    DH got a text Wednesday that his sister had a heart cath and the found two blockages. This morning she finally called and said the doctor wants to do a 3 way bypass. She has been dieabtic since age 9 and does daily home dailysis. She is trying to get the heart doctor and her other doctors to agree on the right treatment. She lives in Kansas and makes me so mad as they don't tell us what is going on and then when it gets to the point like this we are not sure what we should do. So just praying.

Hi Vicki, thank you for the welcome....sending prayers your way.
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    RYAN'S!!!! Good grief! But we let the teacher who was leaving choose and that's the restaurant the skinny thing chose.

I did reasonably well. I fixed a good salad with no fattening add-ons and just drizzled some house dressing on it. Then I went to the entree bar and got 4 little pieces of orange chicken and one small piece of some kind of barbecued pork plus more salad on the rest of that plate.

No dessert, no bread, no starchy veggies and water to drink. I would have gotten some grilled squash, but I didn't see it until I had already filled my plate with more salad.

Overall, I would call it another victory for day 5 of the recommit.

Great job, its so hard to be good when eating out!!!