WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• Delikatz
    Delikatz Posts: 16
    Options
    New to the posting thing, just wanted to say hello, and thank you all for the inspiration. Hope everyone is well. Will check back later.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's so neat to see all of you on this post! I love to read how all of you are doing and am looking forward to what JULY will bring for all of us! I finally get the 4th of July off (from work) and am looking forward to watching fireworks with my daughter's family, including my grandson (20 months old). Home Depot starts a Healthy Challenge in a couple of weeks - 8 weeks of keeping track!

Have a great weekend!

Melinda from Eastern Oregon :flowerforyou:
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We saw on Google News "Battleground man missing in Columbia River", a young man from Battleground. I hope he will be found.
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sayin' hey (that's twice for the day, Renny! It's nice to be wanted!!)

Renny and Katia, thanks for your warm hellos. Every time I get back to MFP after a hiatus, even a short one, it always feels so good.

I was reading an e-book on the net (http://authoritynutrition.com/viciouseating.pdf) about food addiction. The title is Vicious Eating--The Food Addict‘s Guide to Redemption. It's the story of one person's experience with addiction, first drugs and alcohol, then food.

I relate to so much of it, particularly where he describes the internal argument between the desire to eat food that he knows is not really good for him and the desire to eat healthy food, knowing he'll feel better if he does. It reminds me of the Bible verse, "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate."

The author believes sugar and gluten are the worst culprits in making some foods addictive. I've read that so many times. I'm giving it a try--cutting out sugar (except for natural sugar in fruit, etc.) and gluten. I'm also cutting out lactose as I seem to have become lactose intolerant overnight.

Today went well...way under my calories even though that wasn't my intention. (It was mostly due to timing.) No added sugar and no gluten is worth a try as I think I fall right into that cycle of eating the wrong food then wanting more of it.

The author also said something I think Barbie has said about not making exceptions. It came across pretty powerfully when he said eating just a little bit of addictive foods would be like taking just one line of cocaine or, for an alcoholic, having just one drink.

It's obvious that "just a little" cocaine or alcohol (for an alcoholic) are a bad idea. It's easy to want to squirm out of looking at certain foods in the same way. But, I have to say, he has a point that comes right on home to me.

Time for bed. Take care.

Mimi
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Vit F Ladies:drinker:
    New routine takes up so much of my time, just skimming this page as I wonder whats happening with all my friends. Sorry havent been there to applaud your victories or support you in your challenges. But all of you my friends here, I do wish you the very best.
    I went for a run in the morning after a looooong time. Trying to stick with the good eating habits learnt with difficulty, over such a long time.Drinking water has gone down, need to remember to drink water.... remember Margaret, Yanniejannie, Deedee, Katla and all the rest everytime I lift my bottle...... and I smile :bigsmile:
    Anamika from a hot and humid Mumbai
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: :flowerforyou: Welcome back Mimi

:yawn: :yawn: Had another bad night sleep wise and feeling a bit out of sorts this morning. My energy levels are on the low side too.

:frown: Jane so sorry you are having to move again so soon, good luck in finding somewhere suitable - sending hugs your way as well as calming vibes at this stressful time.

:noway: So much to do before I go away with mum and dad for a few days, DH and DD are staying at home so I've got a food delivery coming on Tuesday to keep them going until next weekend. I'm going to take my lap top with me as I've found out the hotel has internet access in the public areas. At least I'll be able to keep and eye on my steps and food in-take.

Not sure why, but I am feeling depressed this morning and very emotional - probably hormones - I blame them for everything. Might go for a nap later to see if that gets me back on an even keel. In the mean time I'll have to find some good music and put it on very loudly - singing along usually gets me in a good mood.:smile:

Have a good Sunday ladies and catch you later.:flowerforyou:

Viv Dull and cool York UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a sunny London!

Off to the playground in a minute to play on the pirate ship. Just waiting for the baby to wake up from a short nap.

The description of the farmer's market and the beautiful scenery with the Mennonite farms made me want to jump on a plane.:flowerforyou: Just like a film. Do you think Harrison Ford will be hanging around?:laugh:

Renny - a wonderful day indeed. We are treasuring our weekend.

DS has just brought me coffee.:love: Last night we had delicious hanger steak on the bbq. DS has an "egg" bbq. Amazing!

Love to all.
    Heather x x x x x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sansyteach: so sorry for your losses; five people in the first half of the year?! :flowerforyou: How wonderful you want to take care of yourself now.

Jane: when it rains, it pours. Sorry you have to deal with so much trouble. I really wish you could try to get some advice. Maybe they would discover that you don’t have to move as quickly as you fear. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: hope your sister-in-law continues to be stable.

Joyce: you don’t have a friend who’d be interested in going to the tournament with you? I’d go for the treat day on July 4th. Doesn’t mean you have to go whole hog, just that you won’t beat yourself up for going over a bit.

Kayzoola: my rabbit (years ago) was found on a bridle path. She and her siblings had been dumped; she was the only one still alive. Someone on a horse managed to catch her, put her in his coat and ride back to the stables with her. I always like to remember how I got her.

Gloria: welcome back! Hope the trip did you good.

Renny: glad you had a good moment with your mom. Sounds like she is being well taken care of. :flowerforyou:

Carol: hope you slept well.

Katla: enjoy the boat once the batteries have been installed.

Viv: hope you feel better.

Yesterday went well; I managed to get the rental van through all sorts of small streets to the place we had to be. My guy and his friend had already gotten all the furniture down from the 2nd floor and onto the sidewalk. The three of us loaded everything in. G. and I drove back here, unloaded everything and got it into the basement storage. Took our dog with us to return the van and pick up the car, then collapsed at an outdoor café. :bigsmile: I was very tired and stiff afterwards, but managed to make dinner (it was my turn) and ended up right on my calorie mark.

After a couple of weeks of nothing, I was down 0.7 kg this morning (1-1/2 pounds). Total 16.7 kg (37 pounds). Yay!!!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

I relate to so much of it, particularly where he describes the internal argument between the desire to eat food that he knows is not really good for him and the desire to eat healthy food, knowing he'll feel better if he does. It reminds me of the Bible verse, "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate."

The author believes sugar and gluten are the worst culprits in making some foods addictive. I've read that so many times. I'm giving it a try--cutting out sugar (except for natural sugar in fruit, etc.) and gluten. I'm also cutting out lactose as I seem to have become lactose intolerant overnight.

Today went well...way under my calories even though that wasn't my intention. (It was mostly due to timing.) No added sugar and no gluten is worth a try as I think I fall right into that cycle of eating the wrong food then wanting more of it.

The author also said something I think Barbie has said about not making exceptions. It came across pretty powerfully when he said eating just a little bit of addictive foods would be like taking just one line of cocaine or, for an alcoholic, having just one drink.

Mimi

I am a firm believer in the addictive power of sugar. The most successful detox I've done was South Beach. The 2 week phase 1 is tough the first time but I went years with no cravings.....until I said "maybe this one time". While I'm going to give this Biggest Loser program a go, I do have the South Beach principals in mind and if I struggle with the cravings, I may just do the 2 week detox to give me a boost.
  • kaybayly
    kaybayly Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, what a community of supportive women. I am inspired by your stories and by how much weight some of you have lost. I am not sure if i am going to be able to keep track of what everyone is doing, but I do intend to record what I eat everyday and read a bit too, so I am sure I will get to know you. I live on the other side of the world, and it has been cold and windy. I prefer the warm days. Loved the description of the farmers markets and rolling hills. Sounds lovely. Keep going everyone, it is fun to have a community of successful people doing good things for their health
  • Linda11121962
    Options
    Just joined today! Might try lemon juice or soy sauce to your burgers.
  • Linda11121962
    Options
    To Kathy: might try lemon juice or soy sauce in your burger.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Mimi:smile: Welcome back:flowerforyou: !!! So nice to see you again!

Renny:smile: What a lovely day you had:love: ! I might be just a touch jealous:embarassed: !!! Glad your mom is feeling better!!!

Bj:smile: At times I wish I had taken on one project at a time, instead of doing the entire house at once:frown: , I know it will look fabulous once it's done, I keep telling my self that:tongue: ! Sounds like a lovely day you had too:love: !

Cynthia:smile: Glad you managed the mini van, I've never driven one either! Resting at an outdoor cafe sounds wonderful! Congrats on the pounds coming off:bigsmile: !

Vicki:smile: Tough love may be the best thing, I know at the time it certainly doesn't feel like it! Keeping your family in my prayers!

Anamika:smile: So glad to see your post:bigsmile: !!! I've not been able to post everyday lately! life is sometimes crazy!

I've been spending at least 30 minutes sitting out on the new deck in the early morning, watching the sun come up:love: , and feeling the coolness of the morning air...ahhhh, it's been perfect!

Wishing everyone a day of health and happiness!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! We're driving this morning. Well, hubby is driving and I'm surfing on the ipad. Yesterday I picked a big bunch of peppers from my garden and made some salsa that was so hot even hubby couldn't eat it! It had a good flavor, but maybe four peppers was too many. When we get back I will try the same recipe but with one pepper to start with. And these were just the green salsa peppers, not the cayenne or habeneros. Those haven't made any peppers yet. Yesterday I also picked two big cucumbers and one nice zucchini. I hope it rains on my garden while we are gone.

Last night at the grocery store I think I broke my little toe. I bumped the wheel of the shopping cart. This morning it's swollen, purple, and the nail is black. Ouch. It may be a while before I can walk 10,000 steps, but it should do ok with my flip flops. Don't think I can put my real shoes on yet. I'm sure I will have to walk around a lot in Chattanooga.

Gotta go. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

It's so good to finally get a health warning that is useful!
    IT INVOLVES THE SHAMPOO WHEN IT RUNS DOWN YOUR
    BODY AS YOU SHOWER WITH IT.
    WARNING TO US ALL!
    Shampoo Warning!
    (I don't know WHY I didn't figure this out sooner)!
    I use shampoo in the shower! When I wash my hair, the
    shampoo runs down my whole body, and printed very
    clearly on the shampoo label is this warning, "FOR EXTRA
    BODY AND VOLUME." No wonder I have been gaining weight!
    Well! I got rid of that shampoo and I am going to start showering
    with Dawn Dishwashing Soap. Its label reads, "DISSOLVES FAT
    THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE."

Problem solved! If I don't answer the phone, I'll be in the shower!:wink::laugh:

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Not exactly joking when I tell you that I've wondered, more than once, if the calories and fat from the coconut oil I rub on my skin is absorbing into my bloodstream. :smokin: :ohwell:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Sunday everyone,

We will be going on vacation next week so I welcome all words of wisdom on navigating the week and not bringing extra pounds back as souvenirs. Today I did yoga and will be on the treadmill after I finish this post.

Mimi, welcome back!

Robin, I'm so glad Bodi is improving!

Heather, enjoy!

Jane, I'm sorry things aren't getting settled for you.

Kazoola, that is a great resting heart rate!

Gloria, glad you are safely home.

Joyce, we had lunch at Joe's Crab Shack last week. I had the Lobster Cobb Salad w/o bacon. It was good and did not add any weight the next day.

Katia, I did love sailing so much. We both began to work a lot of weekends and couldn't get away much so gave up on it. I'm glad you are still enjoying it! I do love the water!

Viv, I've had weepy spells too this weekend for no reason. I looked up menopause and crying this morning, it is normal. I was glad to know that!

Cynthia, congrats on you loss!

Welcome all new ladies!

Hugs to all I missed.

Have a wonderful day everyone,

Cindy in OK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

Nice day here again
    the sky is blue with big white puffy clouds and once again, as yesterday, it's not horribly humid. I have a bit of concern about some weather now forming off Florida; getting stuck on the Eastern Shore is not an appealing option. Crossing the Chesapeake Bay in bad weather is no fun. Will keep an eye out and pull out of our trip if necessary.

Question for the ones among us who garden; I bought a cucumber labeled "bush cucumber"............now, bush to me would mean you don't need a trellis, which was the reason I bought it. Well, it started with those little tendrils and grasping on to plants in other pots and I ended up with a trellis for it to grow up which means it's stuck in one place. It has a lot of little cucumbers just beginning but with my low amount of sun I have to move plants around the yard and can no longer do this. Has anyone else grown these?

janemartin............Your housing situation would scare me tremendously.............hope it's resolved very soon.

Vicki..........Best wishes to your SIL; sounds like she is very ill. Hope your DSD has learned something through her behavior.

Mimi..............A warm welcome back!

Kayzoola..................You will catch that "wrascally wabbit" yet!!!! Good luck!

Katla..............Hoping your energy level has returned to it's usual. I hate those days when I feel just "off".

Heather.............How did the "pirate" life go? Did DGS make anybody walk the plank?

Cynthia............Loved your rabbit story. Congrats on your loss!!!!

Dee Dee...........Glad to hear you are enjoying your new deck. I sat out last night as the sun was going down here; it was a lovely evening with no bugs, for once.

Sylvia...........Safe travel!!!!!!!............looks like you might be going through rain, possibly lots of it.

In keeping with the problems people have been recounting about bill mix ups...........here is a bit of trivia I came across elsewhere--no idea how true it is:

"Nearly 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong account over the next hour" Now, doesn't that make you feel secure?? LOL

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I do feel guilty about not writing more often but I just can’t manage more at the moment. I do read the posts every day & send my thoughts, good wishes & cyber hugs to you all. I sympathise with your pain & struggles & celebrate your joys & successes. There is someone, somewhere in the world thinking of you.

We had our beautiful grandson Ethan to stay overnight. My little bundle of happiness is my profile pic. He didn’t have a good night thought so DH & I are very tired. May have to take a nap.

Work has been very stressful recently with me having a bit of a funny turn a week ago. Bursting into tears & generally not coping. I don’t enjoy being there any more. DH tells me to leave & we will cope without my salary but I afraid to leave. Afraid I won’t leave the house & will get fatter & fatter. I don’t make friends easily & at my age most folks have established friendships so its scary to leave & scary to stay. Still the cork is back in the bottle for now & things are calmer but I know it can’t continue.

After reading the good comments here, I’ve just ordered SWSY. Can’t wait to start.

I’ve had knee pain for a few months now. The PT said it was arthritis. It is so bad that it is affecting my exercising. Some days I have to walk down the office to my desk clinging on to the cupboards as I go. I hate going to the Drs but I’m going to have to give in. Some 20 years ago, I had a slipped disc which damaged a nerve & have no feeling down the back of my right leg & under my foot. I’m sure it connected to/ caused by that problem.

Recently I saw one of the nurses at our Drs surgery about my knee pain & she was concerned that my heart rate was so low. It averaged 49/50 BPM. Is that too low? Guess that’s another thing to keep check of.

Michele - I’m so pleased that Bryan has been in contact. It may not seem much & I do hope he will keep up. Sometime, as Joyce said, its hard to be a Mom.

Jane - I do hope that your difficult situation is resolved soon. Thinking of you & your family.

Mimi - hello again. Lovely to see you.

Welcome to our new ladies. You've found a fantastic place.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend & have a great week everyone.

Geri in UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Melinda from E Oregon: Welcome! We have family in Eastern Oregon. DH grew up there and I have cousins there. :flowerforyou: The Columbia River is beautiful and dangerous. I fear the person from Battleground may be lost. The Coast Guard and two Sherriff’s Departments searched until dark last night using boats and helicopters. There were some reports of heavy drinking, which is dangerous when a person is on or near the river.:cry:

Mimi: I’ve been lactose intolerant since age 18 or 19. Lactaid helps when I want to eat ice cream or suspect that other people have put butter into food I’ll be served. It helps more if I take it BEFORE eating dairy products. We tried the gluten free route for DH’s MS, but it really made no difference and his MS doctor told him that there wasn’t a link between the two unless an individual with MS also had gluten issues. We’re back to bread and pasta now, with no ill effects. We use portion control and count calories.:flowerforyou:

Anamika: It is good to hear from you. I’m happy you stopped by!::happy: :flowerforyou: :

Heather: What is a hanger steak? I am happy to report that I learn a lot from your cooking adventures.:bigsmile:

DeeDee: Your mornings on the deck sound lovely. We enjoy sunny mornings on our deck, too, but it has been uncomfortably chilly lately.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Good luck on your next batch of salsa. I hope your poor toe heals quickly.:flowerforyou:

We’re nearly done with installing new batteries on the boat. There is one connection that needs a new cable and then we can put things back together. YAY!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!