WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Starting my Biggest Loser plan today. As much as I'm not ready to jump back on the logging bandwagon, they want me to so I guess I'd better change my attitude. There's nothing earth shattering about the plan, just a 4, 3, 2, 1 sort of pyramid with fruits, veggies and lean proteins being the 4 and 3 a day. There's a week 1 food plan to follow and I'll be making a few adjustments. I don't drink milk so I'm replacing the milk with my 0% fat Fage, Canadian bacon with my boiled ham, etc. Just going to make sure whatever I replace is comparable in protein, fat, calories, etc. Not crazy about all the lunch meats in the plan, as I avoid nitrates but going to choose my battles.

A friend gave us a 15' above ground pool yesterday. It's set up and filled. Now working on getting the start up chemicals, etc. so a boy can have some fun.

Also have go get back into my exercise routine today. Am AT LEAST going to get some walking in.

Happy day to all!

xo-Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Long time friends are coming today & I’m looking forward to seeing them. :bigsmile: They moved to Florida a few years ago, and we haven’t seen much of them. My DH won’t fly, and neither will J. They’ve decided to make this a car trip and see everyone along the way. We’ve planned build it yourself sandwiches with cold cuts and macaroni salad for lunch. The only thing troubling about the menu is that the meat will be very salty. Portion control, portion control, portion control.

I’m having second thoughts and wonder whether we should go out to lunch. The vacuum is still away being fixed, and the house has been cleaner. I’m not the world’s most confident hostess.:noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping in this morning before work.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Last day of June already. The time is flying by.

Thank you for the great advice on the corn in the microwave. Put it in and it came out so clean, then wrapped it in a wet paper towel for a few more minutes and it was done! Tasted great and best thing was there wasn't anything to wash! My DH does most of the cooking but I clean up afterwards.

Sylvia - that poem brought back so many memories as my mom would recite it when we were growing up. Not sure where she heard it. There was a slight difference but could have been changed through the years.
    Her version -

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps,

Bug-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants!

I come before you
    to stand behind you,
    to tell you something I know nothing about

Admission is free, so pay at the door,

So pull up a chair and sit on the floor.

As someone who has bruised/broken my little toe many times, I feel your pain. I always seem to do it right before a trip when I'm running around the house trying to get things done by usually hitting it on the corner of a wall. Most of the time it is the same one so now it is permanently bent with a small hump on top. I also did it once as a child when I tried to kick my sister who moved at the last minute and ended up kicking the dresser.

Well, for some reason my internet is not working correctly so I can't see the images or the correct layout of the page so I have no idea how this will look once I post.

I will try to post more responses later.

Tina from MD
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Nothing like a good Monday morning to give you a fresh outlook on life.

Is it ugly of me to be enjoying the house to myself? DH had an eye dr appt. because of his appt, we got up early and had our walk done by seven. Then I got dressed, makeup and everything, and straightened up the house because my Mary Kay lady is dropping by later. Just a great combination of things to make me feel good.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    Katie - I think having the house to yourself is one of life's great pleasures.:bigsmile: But not for too long.:love::heart:

Heather UK, happy that her DH is happy watching the cricket at The Oval in South London. Bliss!:bigsmile:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's raining here in Chattanooga this morning, so I walked a mile going around and around the swimming pool. It's outdoors but there is an overhang all the way around, so it's really pretty nice.

My tiny toe is much better this morning. I've broken that poor thing so many times that it's permanently misshapen. I used to joke that the little toe was what I used to find furniture in the dark. The swelling was down though, so it went in my shoe pretty easily. In fact, yesterday when we were driving both my feet and ankles swelled up like balloons, so in that toe I couldn't tell what was swelling from the break and what was from fluid. The whole toe and partway into the foot is a dark purple/black bruise though. Lovely in sandals.

It's 10:30 and I'm sitting around waiting for hubby and his sisters and their husbands to decide what we are going to do today. That is the most indecisive family I have ever seen! But on the other hand, I don't want to be the one to decide either, so I try to remind myself of that when I get frustrated with them. I'll just go out and walk in circles till they figure it out.

I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! I had a fall from grace yesterday. I can't blame anyone but myself, but my excuses run from no sleep to cranky, uncooperative children. I have to get a handle on this stress eating thing! I'm back in the game today.

I know that at some point, I want to move back to my mountains. There is a hole inside me that only they can fill. I began researching jobs and housing in a neighboring state last week. Then, yesterday, while talking to a friend, I realized that when I move, it needs to be a joyous decision, not one based on aggravation and frustration. In other words, I don't want to make the move because I'm running away from where I am now. I have been wrestling with discernment to discover whether I am staying where I am for the wrong reasons. I feel like I need to stay here so that my son does not have to choose between visiting me or visiting his father. If I move away, holidays and weekends home will be totally one or the other since I would be several hours away. I'm trying to weigh my decision as to whether or not it is time to put myself first in the decision making or continue to put my children first. I feel like I need to still be here for my son for the next couple of years, at least. I'm afraid I would be spending more time on the road to see to his medical needs than I spend right now attending to my parents. Arrrggghhhh!! Any insights would be appreciated.

I made a decision yesterday to research resources in the local community to help me figure out a new job. I don't have a grasp on what marketable skills I possess and what I am qualified for. I look at job descriptions and immediately decide I am not good enough when, in fact, I could probably do them without any thought. My insecurities run deep. :ohwell: But, I do know, without a doubt, that it is time to get a different job. I am sick of working two jobs with no benefits just trying to make ends meet. My reasons for working them are now defunct. Although, I would definitely prefer flexibility in my schedule, I don't need to be able to run to pick up a child from school or bring one with me to work.

So, between all that and trying to sell a house, I suppose there is no reason to wonder why I'm not sleeping, huh? :laugh:

Joyce - Is it you that is trying to keep your sodium so low? I'm going to chime in with the others and suggest that it is too low. May I suggest looking up what the normal amount of sodium in one's diet should be and then lowering it from there? The upper range for folks our age, according to the Mayo Clinic, is 1,500 mg per day. Maybe shoot for 1000 instead of 500? I copied this from the Mayo Clinic: "Use salt substitutes wisely. Some salt substitutes or light salts contain a mixture of table salt and other compounds. To achieve that familiar salty taste, you may use too much of the substitute — and get too much sodium. Also, many salt substitutes contain potassium chloride. Although potassium can lessen some of the problems from excess sodium, too much potassium can be harmful especially if you have kidney problems or if you're taking medications for congestive heart failure or high blood pressure that cause potassium retention." Just my two cents...

See, I do read and I do keep y'all in my thoughts, just not enough time in my day or space in my brain to reply to everyone! :tongue: I do love reading about all you and living vicariously through you.

Have a great day and keep up the good work!

Carol in hot and sunny NC
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Popping in to say hello and wish all of you a great Monday and week. No time right now.

Joyce, I don't know what makes a Cobb salad a Cobb salad. I'll have to look that one up. The salad I had was romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, lobster meat and an avocado dressing. It may have had hard boiled eggs too, can't remember. I had the bacon left off of it.

Hugs to everyone.

Cindy in Ok
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ladies, had to pop back for a minute!!!

Just back from lunch at the very occaisional la-de-da place........it was excellent, as usual, and they served our group in a marvelous private room. We were planning to buy the lunch of the woman being feted (in addition to presenting her with a box of Godiva chocolates [dark, of course] and flowers) but, she had oysters and found a pearl.............so, they comped her lunch!!!! It was kind of discolored and malformed, but I've never been with anyone who found one before and my dad ordered oysters everytime they were to be found. Amazing! I credited my calorie count 800 cals. and will skip my afternoon hot chocolate; positive that's quite high but the race planning meeting tonight is at Panera and I don't want to go overboard there. A few forkfuls of DD's heavenly amaretto/dark chocolate dessert with blueberries was well worth the high calorie count.

Hope you are all having great days.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gang. I thought I’d check in early since I’m always so tired after water aerobics which is tonight. It is soooooo humid here; I was outside for about 10 minutes, just dead-heading flowers and the sweat was just dripping off me. I also harvested basil leaves and the last of the radishes. We are in yet another tornado watch. Not much else is going on; I’m going to highlight my hair a bit later and maybe nap and put away my clean laundry. Then water aerobics which I pre-logged. It keeps threatening to rain, but nothing is coming of it.

Barbie: enjoy your company and thanks in advance for the new thread

Mimi: having just eaten habanero cheese, I might have been the person who actually put 14 t of hot pepper into the cheese ball! Yikes!

Viv: enjoy your trip. I hope all works out for mom’s accomodations

Sylvia: I hear you have a broken toe! So sorry…is it painful?

Heather: my oldest, “bestest” friend from high school is a drunk and I usually avoid her calls. I have to be in just the right mood to
    deal with her. I love her dearly, but can only take so much of her.

Yanniejannie: a bear???? Omgosh I am so worried about running into a bear or two while camping! Now a pearl is something I’d like to run into!

Gloria: I bet the boy will have a great time in that pool!

Katla: I’m sure your friends are coming to see you not your house! Have fun and enjoy!

DrKatie: I love having the house to myself!

Carol; wow you are pondering some big decisions! I hope you find a solution that is peaceful to you!

I am feeling better today: I am wondering if the humidity gives me headaches. I had one all weekend long. DD#2 and I had gone out for our mother-daughter day and by the time I got home, I was miserable. I did buy 3 bathing suits; I figure if I’m going to so many water aerobics classes I needed some new ones! Then I found three others in the back of a drawer! So now I have a total of 7. I think that’s enough!

Did I tell you DH had to have his finger opened up and drained? He pulled a hangnail with his teeth while working in the garden (could he have made it any germier?) and got a horrible infection that had to be drained. The doc said if he had waited any longer, she would have sent him to a hand surgeon. He was on codeine and is still on antibiotics, but it has finally stopped draining. BLEH!

Ok I’m going to go take a nap! It still looks rainy but I am not sure anything will happen, but I do love sleeping to rain and gentle thunder…not the loud kind!

Omaha just hosted a world championship boxing match; the defender is a hometown boy who won his weight class just a few months ago and this was his first defense. It was pretty exciting to hear about; we didn’t go, but I guess he packed in over 10,000 people! Then of course, people got naughty afterwards and about 20 of them got arrested. Great exposure for Omaha!

Take care, Meg from Omaha where I’m not sure what the weather is doing.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning beautiful ladies. Why is it the weekends I am off go by so fast?? Yesterday DH and I rode to Albion to church and then they had a mystery ride. It was the first time I have ever been on one and it was alot of fun. We ended up winning first place. Not sure how that happened. We had the best time and closest mileage to what the route was to have been. Was interesting as one thing we had to do on the list was find someone and give them $5. It was alot of fun and by the time we got home last evening we had rode over 350 miles. I got alittle red on my nose but nothing bad.
    I was just reading my post from Saturday to remember where I am and I am ashamed at my spelling. Never have been very good at it.

Jane--Sorry to hear you having so much trouble finding a place. Prayers to you.

Mimi--Welcome and prayers for things to get better with your heart.

Heather--sounds like a great time with the grand babies. Sorry to hear about your friend. I had a friend from school and he drank and would call at all hours. Finally had to tell him I had enough. I felt bad about it, but I gave up drinking 8 years ago and don't want to be around it. He passed away not long ago and was only 59. It is sadd.

Gloria--welcome back and I understand about needing a vacation to recover from a vacation. Hope you are enjoying the pool. I would love to have one, but not sure I could take care of it right.

Renny--my DH is the social one in this couple. I tell people I do not have to as he is social enough for both of us. I am getting better at talking with people, but still have my moments.

Viv--Hugs and hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your trip.

Cynthia--Congrates on your loss!!

Sylvia--Sure hope your toe feels better soon. I seem to bump into things in the middle of the night when I don't turn on the light.

Thanks everyone for the support for DSIL. She is home and doing well. She is bullheaded and going to do it her way.

Renny--Happy Birthday!!

Gail--I can relate to what you say about some churchs. We went to several before we found the one we are attending now, but with the change in minsters and then last week in the newsletter they were wanting people to sign up for online offering, So our money can be there when we are not. Both of us are upset about that. They care more about our money then us. So talking about trying out acouple new churchs.

Katiebug--Please do not beat yourself up over the candy. New day, New start. Makes you just like the rest of us.

Well I just had one of the worse lunch breaks. DGS and his other grandma came in to have lunch on her way to the doctor. Now why you would come her is beyond me. So they were in cafe when I went to lunch. DGS is 14 and thinks he knows it all and is above rules. His mom is DSD that spent the night in jail. Well they have a reason for everything and of course none of it is their fault. Anyway the boyfriend of DSD came in and so I ask him point blank if he is doing drugs as they were saying, He tells me he only smokes pot and everyone does that and he has a job. I said not eveyone does and I do not. I just had to get up and leave. What is wrong with people. I wish they would all move back to Fremont which is over 100 miles away. What a mess. Thanks for letting me vent. Good side is I did not over eat. haha!

Meg--sure hope you are feeling better.

Katla--I understand how you feel about people coming to the house. I always worry my house is not clean enough or fancy enough. But then I read somewhere to remember they are coming to see you, not the house.

Well ladies I hope you are having a good start to the week. After work I am planning to take the dogs on a long walk. See if I can pray thru this family deal.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Yesterday was our 40th wedding anniversary so we went out for supper. Nothing fancy - just to the new Boston Pizza in town. I ate lightly all day and researched the menu. I ordered the starter Ceasar salad at 240 calories and the pollo pasta marinara from the health check menu at 470 calories. I had a 6 ounce glass of red wine but no dessert. I was only a little over my daily allotment because I had some exercise points
    But when we got home a friends stopped in and of course I had 2 small glasses of wine and then 2 rye whiskey and diet coke. Needless to say I was over by 404 calories. This morning I was up 1.6 pounds and mad at myself.
    So today I am back on track and way under my calories for the day. Hopefully the 1.6 pounds are gone by tomorrow

Anyone else have problems like this. Plan to be so good but socializing leads to temptation and I have no willpower

Annoyed with myself

Smwert
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello again! Just checking in between outings. The rain cleared off and we spent most of the day visiting civil war sites. Not my cup of tea, but on the top of the mountain the view was spectacular! My toe must not be broken because it doesn't hurt too much at all. I managed to hit my 10,000 steps and then some, so it can't be too bad. It looks worse than it feels.

Hubby and his kin are trying to decide on a place to eat dinner. I'm staying out of it. I have over 800 calories left, if you count exercise calories, so I think I'll be ok no matter where we go. For lunch hubby and I split a turkey sandwich on sourdough, so that wasn't too bad. I don't use mayo which saves a few calories.

I was climbing up steps today like a mountain goat. You all would have proud of me. After a particularly long and steep climb, DBIL said, "you aren't even breathing hard!" I was pretty happy. A year ago I would have been dead! Just look what MFP has done for me!

Well, I need to change clothes. Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.
    Did lots of cleaning to help son and DIL get ready for daughter to come for the 4th with her kids.
    Then we went in her kiddie pool and splashed each other,nice way to cool off.
    Have a good night.
    Storms coming in.
    HUGS
    jane
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

Gloria--welcome back and I understand about needing a vacation to recover from a vacation. Hope you are enjoying the pool. I would love to have one, but not sure I could take care of it right.

I was worried too but, so far, it's pretty easy. Because it's not a big pool, all I had to do was add 2 cups of chlorine and it tested perfectly. Been running the filter and skimmer but will probably cover it and shut it off tonight. The water's still pretty cold, only about 74 so we're not exactly enjoying it yet. Since it was free we might splurge on the solar cover to get it warm before the temps drop in a couple of days. Expecting high 40's on Wed night :frown:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Sylvia. You should be so proud. Glad your toe is ok.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello lovely ladies. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I am feeling a lot better today then yesterday. I took the day off today as a little extension from last week's vacation time, and tomorrow is Canada Day, which is a national holiday. I took my first bike ride of the summer today (on the Galloping Goose for those who are familiar with the area). Just 50 minutes, but it was glorious. I have been looking forward to getting back on my bicycle. Still want to get different handlebars, but the bike is not bad as is.

DH and I had our mid-morning coffee on the patio this morning. Later we had kale salad for lunch, with peanuts and a little Mr. Spice peanut sauce as dressing. Yum. We also put chopped carrots and red peppers in it and a few raisins for good measure. I also spent some time in the garden deadheading, as that's my job. :happy:

Tonight DH is taking me out for sushi dinner.

:flowerforyou: I spoke with my mom this morning and she sounded about 20 years younger. All sassy and obstinate, like..."who's been thinking I was about to die?! I am woman, hear me roar!!" :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Holy moly, omg; not sure what the heck is going on, but obviously happy she's no longer at death's door. Although, my suitcase and passport are at the ready anyway :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: smwert...happy anniversary

:flowerforyou: Sylvia...glad you're toe is getting better

:flowerforyou: Cynthia...we had "koek" with our coffee this morning. Real Dutch, eh?!

Love :heart:
    Renny
    Warm and sunny Vancouver Island, BC
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Had our 2 GrD’s for a sleep over Friday night, It was awesome and very tiring! LOL! I do ok with them in the house but out side walking on the uneven ground just kills me, after a few minutes I am walking like I’m crippled. :grumble: They planted flowers and made a tent in the apple tree with blankets, all in all I think they had a good time.
    I get so frustrated, can’t wait till I can get my knee surgery. I often sit back and think “what the heck , I’m 62 and with my arthritis issues I will probably never be active so why worry about losing weight“, then I was watching TV the other night and they were talking about a lady in her nineties who started track and field in her 70’s I think! Everything is relative and the more I think about it the more I realize that we should think of things to be thankful for every day, even if you can only come up with one a day at first, that’s a start.

Still trying to get back to tracking and watching what I eat. Couldn’t even work in the garden today as it is so hot…at least I got out early this morning to water, but if I don’t soon weed my harvest with be nothing but weeds! :smile:

Cathy in NS