That one person who needs to use MyFitnessPal

Options

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of them are proud of what they achieved? Shredded bodies don't fall off the back of trucks, one has to earn it. As others have suggested if you don't want to see it take them off of your Facebook feed.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    For the most part I can deal with any kind of FB post but one time I did unfriendly a guy because it got to be too much. It was a combination of constant selfies, healthy food pics, and overwhelming hash tags.

One guy thinks he is God's gift to the gym. We all have to get at least 3 motivational posts from him a day about hard work and dedication to the gym and striving for perfection. Then when he hits the gym we get 2 pictures of him flexing. Afterwards we get another random picture and a recap of the day. Almost every day.
    Why are you "friends" with him? If it's that annoying, just delete the whole thing and stop complaining.

Because he's a good guy otherwise and he's fun to joke around with and when he's not posting his diamond calves he is fine. I have my quirks too and I'm sure he could delete me, but my quirks don't have a social media website dedicated to them that I could switch to.
    Then I suggest you adjust his FB settings and make him disappear from your feed since closing your eyes or taking another approach - that of supporting him in the spirit of optimism - clearly isn't working. God forbid someone does something for their health...
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    For the most part I can deal with any kind of FB post but one time I did unfriendly a guy because it got to be too much. It was a combination of constant selfies, healthy food pics, and overwhelming hash tags.

One guy thinks he is God's gift to the gym. We all have to get at least 3 motivational posts from him a day about hard work and dedication to the gym and striving for perfection. Then when he hits the gym we get 2 pictures of him flexing. Afterwards we get another random picture and a recap of the day. Almost every day.
    Why are you "friends" with him? If it's that annoying, just delete the whole thing and stop complaining.

Because he's a good guy otherwise and he's fun to joke around with and when he's not posting his diamond calves he is fine. I have my quirks too and I'm sure he could delete me, but my quirks don't have a social media website dedicated to them that I could switch to.
    Then I suggest you adjust his FB settings and make him disappear from your feed since closing your eyes or taking another approach - that of supporting him in the spirit of optimism - clearly isn't working. God forbid someone does something for their health...

You really didn't read over half the thread, did you?
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Maybe some of them are proud of what they achieved? Shredded bodies don't fall off the back of trucks, one has to earn it. As others have suggested if you don't want to see it take them off of your Facebook feed.

Already addressed above, but nice abs.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love seeing my friends kids, what my friends made for dinner, the cute sayings they like, watching them meet their fitness goals

what else is FB for if not keeping in touch and posting your dailey news?

It allows me to keep contact with many people in my life that I would not be able to have contact with otherwise.

For instance a friend of mine from high school is on a high seas adventure rowing across the ocean right now with her husband, how cool is that? She posted all her preparations down to food packing which included high powered calorie content to get them through their rowing journey! So cool!

Also all my friends are going through a baby boom and I love their baby pictures and watching their kids grow! And dont forget the dogs! i love dog posts and pet posts!

perhaps you are just not an FB person?

maybe the problem is you?

None of what you said applies to endless gym selfies. It's great people love themselves that much, but it's sad that they need that much approval from others. I already addressed the rest.

It all applies, if someone loves going tot he gym then that is their lives, their personal dailey news. You dont have to look just keep scrolling.

You're missing the point; I do keep scrolling. And when I continue to scroll, I get their next update, and the next one, and then realize they've posted 6 just today of themselves either at the gym, going to the gym, talking about their extreme dedication to the gym, etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us that work out just as much (many of them much more so than these people) rarely make such posts. Why is that? Your fitness doesn't give you intrinsic value so you have to have others tell you how awesome you are?

i4egpx.jpg
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Facebook is evil.

Deactivating my account was the best quality of life upgrade I've ever made.
  • LazSommer
    Options

So he's a good guy but otherwise his FB feed annoys you? Is your life so limited that FB can annoy you?

Have you politely suggested to him to try MFP? Where his fitness would be celebrated?

You say he's a good so he has a flaw, he like FB selfies and updates, is that the worst thing someone could be?

Just be a good friend, throw him a "like" everynow and then and keep scrolling

Is your life so limited that you feel the need to get constant validation of your gym success? Shouldn't your own hard work be enough for you?

And yeah, I think being narcissistic is one of the worst things someone can be. I think it masks underlying insecurity and is something that should be worked on lest it tear down all that you have achieved.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Actually I did and it was the same whining and b*tching. This thread was the easiest to quote so I did that. Thanks for questioning my reading and comprehension skills, by the way; really clever change of tactics you did there, since I didn't support you in your immature, public critique of your friend.
  • NYCGamerGirlx
    NYCGamerGirlx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're missing the point; I do keep scrolling. And when I continue to scroll, I get their next update, and the next one, and then realize they've posted 6 just today of themselves either at the gym, going to the gym, talking about their extreme dedication to the gym, etc. Meanwhile, the rest of us that work out just as much (many of them much more so than these people) rarely make such posts. Why is that? Your fitness doesn't give you intrinsic value so you have to have others tell you how awesome you are?

There's an option that lets you hide what that person writes/posts. It doesn't show up on your newsfeed, but whenever you want to look at their page, you can just search for them in the userbar.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

There's an option that lets you hide what that person writes/posts. It doesn't show up on your newsfeed, but whenever you want to look at their page, you can just search for them in the userbar.
    Yeah, one would think. But despite numerous suggestions to do just that, it's more convenient not to do it, because then OP can't keep complaining in public when her friend doesn't behave like she thinks he should.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Actually I did and it was the same whining and b*tching. This thread was the easiest to quote so I did that. Thanks for questioning my reading and comprehension skills, by the way; really clever change of tactics you did there, since I didn't support you in your immature, public critique of your friend.

I guess I just hit a nerve, then. Did you rethink your last gym status update? Did it get enough likes?
  • LazSommer
    Options

Yeah, one would think. But despite numerous suggestions to do just that, it's more convenient not to do it, because then OP can't keep complaining in public when her friend doesn't behave like she thinks he should.

Pretty much, but then I wouldn't be able to enjoy this rousing conversation.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What came to my mind while reading this thread is what I have to say to my 6 year old all the time, "Stop complaining about your problem and find a solution."

There are options on Facebook which allow you to hide his posts, so you can still be friends with him, but you don't have to keep scrolling past all those quad updates. Bless your heart.
  • NYCGamerGirlx
    NYCGamerGirlx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another thread spiraling out of control. Well, before I get sucked into the black hole. Have a good day everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    Options

I guess I just hit a nerve, then. Did you rethink your last gym status update? Did it get enough likes?
    "Girls compete with each other, women empower one another."

I'm doing you a favour when suggesting you read the solid advice you've received in this thread. Talk to your friend and suggest MFP to him in a nice way, don't mention you're bothered by his updates, or simply adjust the settings. I'm not interested in a pissing contest like guys can do, but genuinely urge you to rethink your strategy.

To answer your question, if a friend of mine posts whatever on FB, I view it in the light that they are proud and happy about something. It doesn't take away anything from me and it's my choice entirely to react however I please; all the options are open. I rarely use FB these days, but when I do, I have it under control. I don't mean to sound nasty, but I have a few more years under my belt compared to you and I've seen narcissism in action in my own home; he's an ex-husband and it sounds like nothing that your friend is doing. Support him or don't, but talking behind his back in public is never a good idea, in particular if you haven't even brought your issue with him up in private.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    What came to my mind while reading this thread is what I have to say to my 6 year old all the time, "Stop complaining about your problem and find a solution."

There are options on Facebook which allow you to hide his posts, so you can still be friends with him, but you don't have to keep scrolling past all those quad updates. Bless your heart.

As stated before, I do draw a sick entertainment from the evolution of mental illness.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Why don't you post endless pictures of your kids and or pets with inspirational parenting/pet messages or whatever and see if he complains?
  • AglaeaC
    Options

As stated before, I do draw a sick entertainment from the evolution of mental illness.
    You repulse me.