Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options
15678911»

Replies

• cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I NEED DIET SODA FOR MY VODKA

WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

I second !
  • TonyS89
    TonyS89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, interesting to see who funded it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not cause weight gain and it is also not a weight loss supplement (it doesn't make you lose weight). I'm sure that for some people having a diet soda will fulfill their craving for a sweet treat and so in that case it could help that person lose weight. But, no one needs to cut it out or add it. Plenty of people lose weight and are fit and drink water or whatever and don't drink diet soda regularly. Not everyone likes the flavor. I will have certain types occasionally when I can find them. Other types I feel sick from (probably because of the flavor), but I don't like regular soda either. And as for bloating, I don't really know much about artificial sweeteners, but from what I understand bloating is caused by sugar alcohols because you don't digest them normally and too many can act like a laxative. Bloating does not mean gaining weight, it just means not having a perfectly flat tummy at a time when you may want to and having some uncomfortable sensations (if you are performing or something). Don't worry about what others think or say, If diet soda is helpful to you, then go ahead and drink it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything harmful in drinking flavored water. I also don't think there is anything magical about drinking flavored water.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bless all of you. I drink Diet Coke, and water with MIO.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet Pepsi last week and had no measurable weight loss for the week. Therefore, this study that I linked to in the original post MUST be scientific!

I'm back to drinking diet Pepsi (occasionally) this week and am back on the weight loss wagon.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    All I know is, I feel better and have more energy drinking water than ANY kind of soda. So water it is
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    This research is questionable at best. You have to ask yourself if the study is truly objective. Did a lobby group for the soft drink industry fund it? Did a soft drink company themselves fund this study? If the answer is "yes" to both, then throw out any validity.

STAHP!

As has been stated several times, funding does NOT invalidate the results of a study.
    Don't really care since I don't drink it, but I find it funny when people dismiss studies by the funding source. Dismissing by funding source alone is usually the first sign that someone doesn't really understand the science involved

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v38/n5/full/ijo201432a.html

You're correct. Funding does not invalidate scientific results, but one should at the very least be aware of the fact that a study was funded by a group that has a financial stake in it. This should be enough reason to scrutinize it more. Besides, this is one study. It needs to be replicated and reviewed by the scientific community and debated. This study only brings up the possibility that diet pop may be okay and possibly be part of the solution to the larger problem of obesity.