How do I get my muscles toned without getting "big"?

Options
Hey everyone. I would like to start off by saying I used to exercise years ago, but stopped. Recently I developed the motivation to start again, so I went out and bought some dumbbells so I can exercise at home to get me started. So my personal goal is to get toned. My arms are pretty scrawny and I don't really have any muscle. Here is a recent picture of me.

http://i.imgur.com/CKDhhKC.jpg

As you can tell, I rarely exercise. Here is what I would IDEALLY like my figure to look like!

http://i.imgur.com/3bZXnHi.jpg

So my question is, will exercising with the dumbbells alone help me achieve this figure I posted above? My main fear with exercising is getting TOO big. I don't want to look like a huge muscular dude. I want to MAINTAIN my skinny looking figure, but have muscle tone at the same time, without getting too big. I really hope that makes sense. So my question is, where do I begin? What exercises in particular should I be doing with my dumbbells in order to achieve that build that I posted? How many days a week should I be exercising, and how many minutes per day? Do I need to do anything with my diet? As you can tell, I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff. But yeah, my main goal is to maintain my figure, but at the same time get fit and toned so that I no longer look like a scrawny dude! If somebody could provide some simple instructions and a simple guideline for me that's easy to understand, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well. 1.) it's actually difficult to build muscle.

2.) "tone" is really just muscle definition that comes from reduced body fat.

3.) guy linked is not in good shape- he actually has poor muscle development and is just fortunate to have good genes that he's not fat- and or goes to the gym once or twice a month.

As far as what you should do and how often you should do it? one set of dumbbells isn't going to get you very far..

Ultimately you could try some HIIT style workouts with them- and some basic isolation exercises... but real muscle devlopment (not necessarily size) comes from heavy progressive lifting... either body weight or barbell style with exercises that target large muscle groups at once.

If you have access to a gym or can start to look for the equipment
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting

all great options.

If that's not your cup of tea-- body weight progressions are great as well.
    you are your own gym (book)
    convict conditioning (book)
    strength unbound(website)

just don't eat at a calorie surplus and you won't get hooooouuuuugggeeeeee.

building muscle requires a calorie surplus- so as long as you don't over eat -you'll get stronger- but not bigger.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    well. 1.) it's actually difficult to build muscle.

2.) "tone" is really just muscle definition that comes from reduced body fat.

3.) guy linked is not in good shape- he actually has poor muscle development and is just fortunate to have good genes that he's not fat- and or goes to the gym once or twice a month.

As far as what you should do and how often you should do it? one set of dumbbells isn't going to get you very far..

Ultimately you could try some HIIT style workouts with them- and some basic isolation exercises... but real muscle devlopment (not necessarily size) comes from heavy progressive lifting... either body weight or barbell style with exercises that target large muscle groups at once.

If you have access to a gym or can start to look for the equipment
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting

all great options.

If that's not your cup of tea-- body weight progressions are great as well.
    you are your own gym (book)
    convict conditioning (book)
    strength unbound(website)

just don't eat at a calorie surplus and you won't get hooooouuuuugggeeeeee.

building muscle requires a calorie surplus- so as long as you don't over eat -you'll get stronger- but not bigger.

Thanks for your post, but I'm having quite a lot of trouble understanding what you're saying :(.

I'm not really familiar with most of those things like "calorie surplus" or "HIIT workouts" "Barbell style", "Bodyweight Progressions", "New Rules Of Lifting", etc.. Sorry I'm just not familiar with anything like that.. Sounds a bit confusing. I'm a complete clueless beginner sadly.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you don't have google on your internet?
  • MatrixGravity
    Options

I did google some of them but it's a bit confusing to understand.. and I don't really grasp how some of these methods work and how to incorporate them into my dumbbell exercises.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus = Eating more calories than you burn. The opposite of trying to lose weight.

HIIT = High-intensity interval training http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Bodyweight progressions = Doing different body weight (Nothing but your body) execises as you get stronger... For example doing pushups while leaning on a counter, then when that is easy moving to doing them while leaning on the coffee table, and when that gets easy moving to the floor, and then so your feet are on the coffee table, and then on the counter, and then while doing handstands. See exaples here: http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/basic-routine-infographic-poster.html

barbell style = Using barbells, or other type of weights, to workout with.

"New Rules Of Lifting" = http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Calorie surplus = Eating more calories than you burn. The opposite of trying to lose weight.

HIIT = High-intensity interval training http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Bodyweight progressions = Doing different body weight (Nothing but your body) execises as you get stronger... For example doing pushups while leaning on a counter, then when that is easy moving to doing them while leaning on the coffee table, and when that gets easy moving to the floor, and then so your feet are on the coffee table, and then on the counter, and then while doing handstands. See exaples here: http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/basic-routine-infographic-poster.html

Thanks for the clarification. But I must ask though, is all of that necessary to do? If I understand correctly, you guys are saying that the dumbbell exercises alone won't be sufficient in reaching my goals, right?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Well step one.

Surplus. That means you are eating over your maintenance calories. You only get big and huge if you are lifting heavy things/progressively loading your body- AND eating at a surplus.

Maintenance calorie are how many calories your body needs to maintain your level of condition/activity and weight currently.
    To lose body fat- you must eat slightly under that (roughly 200-500 calories under that)
    to gain fat and or muscle- you must eat over that- typically 200-500 over that (ballpark- can be higher)

Progressive loading means you are challenging your muscles once they adapt- you're giving it a harder exercise.
    so take push ups- if you can't do ANY- then step one is doing them on the counter- once you can do 10-15 solid reps on the counter- you move to a lower stair.
    After you master that- you move to the floor.
    Once you master 10-15 reps on the floor you make it harder- put your feet up.
    lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

If you are doing barbell training (at a gym- with an olympic bar) then you phyiscally add weight to the bar as you adapt to the lifts.

progressively loading it.

HIIT = high intensity interval training- just a style of working out- can be applied to cardio or certain styles of weight training. Check thedailyhiit.com, zuzka light, lovingfit, angry trainer, nerdfitness.com, lots of great HIIT workouts that require little to no equipement.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

these are books that would help you if you wanted to pick up bar bell training.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I did google some of them but it's a bit confusing to understand.. and I don't really grasp how some of these methods work and how to incorporate them into my dumbbell exercises.

I think what's she's saying is you need access to a gym and/or more than dumbbells.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Google Jason blahas Novice program, also take a stop by his youtube and watch some of his vids on basic nutrition, It's annoying to others when you don't even try before asking OP.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. But I must ask though, is all of that necessary to do? If I understand correctly, you guys are saying that the dumbbell exercises alone won't be sufficient in reaching my goals, right?

no. all of it isn't necessary. But the are good options to point you in the right direction.

I already said a low body fat will get you most of the way to what you want- which mean DIET. calorie deficit.

And you cannot build significant strength or definition or anything from one single set of DB's- they just aren't going to cover ALL your needs. Your legs are significantly stronger (or should be- but since I don't know you I can't say for absolute certainty) than your upper body- so you may be able to use the DB's for upper body work- and body weight workouts for your lower body.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    JoRocka is right on (as usual)

Calories: if you eat less than your body uses (deficit) you lose weight. If you eat more than your body uses (surplus) you gain. If you are lifting properly and eating at a surplus, you can gain muscle bulk. So, for your goals, you want to be eating right at what your body uses (neither a surplus nor a deficit)

New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts: 3 different lifting programs utilizing compound lifts. This is the kind of exercise you want to do to reach your goals. (These use barbells, mostly)

HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training ... a type of cardio (really, google this one for a complete description)

Bodyweight progression: a type of training that uses your own body weight rather than barbells or dumbbells. These are good programs, too, and can help you reach your goals.

Dumbbells really aren't going to get you very far in your goals. Check out these other programs. And work on doing some research of your own. You're going to need to get used to that :wink:

Edit: and Jo also clarified most of these before me ... lol
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Well step one.

Surplus. That means you are eating over your maintenance calories. You only get big and huge if you are lifting heavy things/progressively loading your body- AND eating at a surplus.

Maintenance calorie are how many calories your body needs to maintain your level of condition/activity and weight currently.
    To lose body fat- you must eat slightly under that (roughly 200-500 calories under that)
    to gain fat and or muscle- you must eat over that- typically 200-500 over that (ballpark- can be higher)

Progressive loading means you are challenging your muscles once they adapt- you're giving it a harder exercise.
    so take push ups- if you can't do ANY- then step one is doing them on the counter- once you can do 10-15 solid reps on the counter- you move to a lower stair.
    lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

If you are doing barbell training (at a gym- with an olympic bar) then you phyiscally add weight to the bar as you adapt to the lifts.

HIIT = high intensity interval training- just a style of working out- can be applied to cardio or certain styles of weight training. Check thedailyhiit.com, zuzka light, lovingfit, angry trainer, nerdfitness.com, lots of great HIIT workouts that require little to no equipement.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

I understand, thanks for breaking it down. The thing is, I really would like to avoid having to go to the gym in order to exercise. Ideally, I would like to be able to do everything at home, that's why I bought the dumbbells, because I was under the impression that it was all I needed in order to achieve my goals.. But I guess I wasn't right about that. I didn't realize you needed all this extra stuff in order to get fit. I mean, I'm not trying to get huge or anything. I just simply want to have some muscle and not look weak. Do you know another approach that I can take that wouldn't require me going to the gym? Something I can do easily from home without having to spend too much money on equipment?.. If that's possible?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The guy in the pic has high body fat. Can't be "toned" with that much body fat - get leaner.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Well step one.

lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

I understand, thanks for breaking it down. The thing is, I really would like to avoid having to go to the gym in order to exercise. Ideally, I would like to be able to do everything at home, that's why I bought the dumbbells, because I was under the impression that it was all I needed in order to achieve my goals.. But I guess I wasn't right about that. I didn't realize you needed all this extra stuff in order to get fit. I mean, I'm not trying to get huge or anything. I just simply want to have some muscle and not look weak. Do you know another approach that I can take that wouldn't require me going to the gym? Something I can do easily from home without having to spend too much money on equipment?.. If that's possible?

Seriously?

did you read anything I wrote.

I already laid out SIX different programs

THREE for the gym

and THREE for body weight conditioning.... body weight meaning NO GYM.

I'm trying dude- seriously- I"m trying... but you're making this REALLY hard.

how old are you?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can use dumbbells and do body weight exercises, if you have a good program that incorporates progression such as You are Your Own Gym. Your results can be better, faster, and easier with a barbell and plates. But, lots of people get fit without a gym. You can always start with what you have and re-evaluate later.

But, you won`t get big from just lifting heavy weights.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Well step one.

lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

Seriously?

THREE for the gym

how old are you?\

Sorry, your posts are just very overly complicated and it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to say when I don't know anything remotely related to exercise and fitness, so it just goes over my head. I'm trying to understand but it's an overwhelming amount of information to absorb and take in. If you can avoid using phrases I probably won't understand, that would help me read your posts better so I can get the jist of it.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    You can use dumbbells and do body weight exercises, if you have a good program that incorporates progression such as You are Your Own Gym. Your results can be better, faster, and easier with a barbell and plates. But, lots of people get fit without a gym. You can always start with what you have and re-evaluate later.

But, you won`t get big from just lifting heavy weights.

Thank you. I'll check out "You Are Your Own Gym". Body weight exercises are exercises that don't rely on weights or equipment right? And yeah, I'm not looking to get big. Just in better shape than I am. Also could you explain the difference and benefits between using a barbell and using dumbbells? Thanks again~
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Thank you. I'll check out "You Are Your Own Gym". Body weight exercises are exercises that don't rely on weights or equipment right? And yeah, I'm not looking to get big. Just in better shape than I am. Also could you explain the difference and benefits between using a barbell and using dumbbells? Thanks again~

You can't get big over night. Or on accident.- IT TAKES DEDICATED WORK. If there was a magical land of getting big over night- it would be an island full of people- because getting big takes months and months of hard heavy work and dedicated diet.

Barbell- olympic barbell- .. it's long- about 2.5 inches in diameter- and you you put round or hex weights on the sides. and then a collar to keep them from sliding off.

Dumbbell's- they are hand held.

Sorry, your posts are just very overly complicated and it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to say when I don't know anything remotely related to exercise and fitness, so it just goes over my head. I'm trying to understand but it's an overwhelming amount of information to absorb and take in. If you can avoid using phrases I probably won't understand, that would help me read your posts better so I can get the jist of it.

I understand that fitness and diet can be overwhelming- but it feels a little bit like you are either extremely young- and possibly violating the terms of the sites agreements.

OR you are choosing to NOT looking anything else up and educate yourself.

I know I'm a bit wordy- but I've laid out quiet a bit of information for you if you are willing to pick it up and educate yourself. But YOU have to be willing to do some work.

I'm here to help- really I am- but it's hard when it feels a little bit like I spent five minutes typing something up and the person asking didn't bother reading it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

yes it's all necessary, because biology

if you're not lifting heavy enough weights (or doing difficult enough bodyweight exercises), your muscles won't grow. You need to put sufficient strain on the muscles to give them the stimulus to grow. You also need a calorie surplus and protein to give your body the raw materials to build new muscle cells... otherwise it's like trying to build a house without any bricks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well step one.

lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

Seriously?

THREE for the gym

how old are you?\

You cannot be for real. Why would you come on to a fitness site and ask people not to explain things to you about exercise and fitness?

Simple answer: Doing dumb bell exercises is better than doing curls with your TV remote. You decide how you want to spend your time. Do some push ups, walk up some hills, do some tricep extensions and dips (google it), some sit ups, and bi cep curls. Honestly, when I first started in 2000, I started with dumb bells and "Weight Training for Dummies" (the book). It sounds like it might be a good place for you to start as well.

Yeah, it would be great to do all this other stuff. But tomorrow, just do something.