How do I get my muscles toned without getting "big"?

Options

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm responding to this, but it's 3a.m. and I'm awake so...

OP, if you are really just trying to "tone" up, continue eating what you normally do (making sure there's some protein in there), start lifting things (your 20 lb dumbbells, your body, whatever), and read everything you can on the Internet--including JoRocka's post, which pretty much includes everything you need to know.

And if I've inadvertently fed a troll, well, here's a cracker.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You cannot be for real. Why would you come on to a fitness site and ask people not to explain things to you about exercise and fitness?

Simple answer: Doing dumb bell exercises is better than doing curls with your TV remote. You decide how you want to spend your time. Do some push ups, walk up some hills, do some tricep extensions and dips (google it), some sit ups, and bi cep curls. Honestly, when I first started in 2000, I started with dumb bells and "Weight Training for Dummies" (the book). It sounds like it might be a good place for you to start as well.

Yeah, it would be great to do all this other stuff. But tomorrow, just do something.

You followed me in here just to complain about me?

I posted some very helpful advice- even other people have pointed out OP's lack of williningness to look things up as well... but you come in here to complain about me?

I'm highly flattered!!

Thank you :drinker:

yes yes yes- I know it's early to drink- but I'll take it at this hour. ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You cannot be for real. Why would you come on to a fitness site and ask people not to explain things to you about exercise and fitness?

Simple answer: Doing dumb bell exercises is better than doing curls with your TV remote. You decide how you want to spend your time. Do some push ups, walk up some hills, do some tricep extensions and dips (google it), some sit ups, and bi cep curls. Honestly, when I first started in 2000, I started with dumb bells and "Weight Training for Dummies" (the book). It sounds like it might be a good place for you to start as well.

Yeah, it would be great to do all this other stuff. But tomorrow, just do something.

I posted some very helpful advice- even other people have pointed out OP's lack of williningness to look things up as well... but you come in here to complain about me?

I'm highly flattered!!

Ummmm......

100% positive that she was on your side and was referring to the OP.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For the goals you are trying to achieve just eat at maintenance (don't try to lose or gain), and eat 1 gram of protein per pound of whatever you want your lean body mass to be. (so subtract your goal bodyfat from your goal weight to get an approximate number). There, simple.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Reading through this reminds of the Abbott and Costello, "Who's on first" routine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    For the goals you are trying to achieve just eat at maintenance (don't try to lose or gain), and eat 1 gram of protein per pound of whatever you want your lean body mass to be. (so subtract your goal bodyfat from your goal weight to get an approximate number). There, simple.

Goal Bodyfat? Goal Weight?.. Lean Body Mass? What does this mean? I'm so lost.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Simple.....but simple ENOUGH?

Good luck with that BP, you're on your own from here

*backs out of thread*
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Question. what do you THINK body fat is?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Simple.....but simple ENOUGH?

Good luck with that BP, you're on your own from here

*backs out of threadf

I'm out too.

Op, you have the ability to learn on your own now. Starting to wonder if you are a troll with all these questions. Google every word you don't understand, get a book out of the library.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options

Question. what do you THINK body fat is?

Body fat is like excess that our body stores when we overeat? I'm really not sure. I know what eating at maintenance is though. That's the only thing I'm familiar with.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    OP, do you know how to do a push-up?

Good. Do one every time you even think about asking a question.

Do you know how to jog?

Good. Every time you even think about getting on the internet, jog.

Do these things for four weeks and I guarantee that you'll be better off than before. Then, and only then, are you allowed to ask somebody a question about nutrition and fitness.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    you don't have google on your internet?

I did google some of them but it's a bit confusing to understand.. and I don't really grasp how some of these methods work and how to incorporate them into my dumbbell exercises.

I think what's she's saying is you need access to a gym and/or more than dumbbells.

No, she's offering suggestions on resources to use in creating an effective program no matter what your choice of resistance. I do bodyweight exercises based on the same principles. Not as efficient, but they better fit in my day.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to go ahead and recommend a trainer. You tell them your goal, and they'll give you a routine to do. You can even say you wish to work out at home.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "My fear is getting TOO big".

I freaking love when people say this stuff. It's like you think one day you are going to magically wake up ripped. If only it were that easy.

Professional athletes and bodybuilders STRUGGLE to gain, at most, 0.25 lbs of muscle a week. That is at a protein intake somewhere along the lines of 250g per day, on a meticulously strict diet, with rigorous weight training 4 days a week.

There is a lot of misinformation and urban myths out there about getting huge, and I assure you it is impossible. Please see this article (http://www.acaloriecounter.com/weight-training-results.php). You will see what I mean. If it was really that easy, most guys would be enormous. We are not.

The only thing you might put on when you first start lifting is water. Its normal, your body is just trying to remove waste products from your muscles now that you are really using them. The water weight, and the associated volume increase, will level out after a few weeks. Increase your water intake, and it will actually help reduce your water retention.

Here is what you do: eat like a pro lifter. lift like a pro lifter. stop when you hit the supposed "toned" look you are going for. You aren't going to build muscle going easy in the gym.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm highly flattered!!

Dear God. This makes me want to post a thread about mean people who unfairly chastise helpful people.
  • renzo211
    renzo211 Posts: 25
    Options
    Matrix, dude.. you really need to jump on google and start looking form some stuff on your own. All these things they are mentioning and that you do not understand are defined throughout a numerous amounts of web sites, all with different professionals (assuming they are lol) explaining, other forums, etc.

I also took my time to read this epic thread and my conclusion is that you are truly NOT interested in educating yourself and expect everyone here to give you everything hand fed, even with such simple terms and no... they are not complicated.

Out of everything, I would recommend hitting the gym at least a couple of months or so to work out alongside a trainer in order for him to teach you the basics on how to do a proper exercise... whicher they make you do. Sure youtube and other sites can give you a pretty good guideline on how to use your dumbells for certain weight lifting exercises but my personal opinion on this is that you need proper and hands on help for these things. For all we know, you could be doing all your exercises wrong and end up injuring yourself.

Oh and before I forget, my trainer kept telling me that one of the main goals of dumbells is to work out your balance, work the joints a bit more even, so he says. For example, during my first weeks he sat with me while trying to do bench presses with barbells and my body trembled a lot, lifted on arm higher than the other, etc. He then said no, better off working other things while getting me used to the weight and it worked... no more shaking and I consider myself to be doing the exercies correctly which means proper form, breathing and the correct reach.

How about you post us the sites you've been looking at an write down your conclusions on what you read? (yes, this is homework for you). Show everyone you at least care.

PS, i'd be embarrased if I started asking all the basic things you can find out on your own... You're basically asking "what's a tire" before learning to drive.
  • likitisplit
    Options

"You can attempt to do compound lifts with dumbbells, but what dumbbells can do with compounds are minuscule to what barbells can do. "

Holy hot fuzz.
    Man.

^^^ What that meant: He cannot do everything that he needs with dumbbells. Never did I say he can't bench press with dumbbells.
    Well you have to admit that the statement is a bit ambiguous then, bench press, overhead press, rows etc are compound lifts as well and can be just as effective with dumbbells as with a barbell. Dude is confused as is and say he can barely squat with 20kg or something light like that how would something like a goblet squat be "less effective"? I am not trying to be a **** or anything but it is better to be as concise as possible.
    I do agree with this though.
    Getting frustrated because people seem to be getting the completely opposite meaning from my words.

And no, OP, dumbbells do not suck. Like I said, you can do some of the compound lifts with them, but not all.
    I know TONS of guys who've had great success at building great bodies with dumbbells.

But some apparently have never touched a squat rack ever, which results in a disproportionate figure.

funny-thin-legs-big-arms-guy-walking.jpg

Is this another picture of that veteran who had a back injury?
  • renzo211
    renzo211 Posts: 25
    Options
    OP, I'm going to go ahead and recommend a trainer. You tell them your goal, and they'll give you a routine to do. You can even say you wish to work out at home.

Yes yes! This!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Well step one.

Surplus. That means you are eating over your maintenance calories. You only get big and huge if you are lifting heavy things/progressively loading your body- AND eating at a surplus.

Maintenance calorie are how many calories your body needs to maintain your level of condition/activity and weight currently.
    To lose body fat- you must eat slightly under that (roughly 200-500 calories under that)
    to gain fat and or muscle- you must eat over that- typically 200-500 over that (ballpark- can be higher)

Progressive loading means you are challenging your muscles once they adapt- you're giving it a harder exercise.
    so take push ups- if you can't do ANY- then step one is doing them on the counter- once you can do 10-15 solid reps on the counter- you move to a lower stair.
    After you master that- you move to the floor.
    Once you master 10-15 reps on the floor you make it harder- put your feet up.
    lift a foot up
    lift an arm up.

If you are doing barbell training (at a gym- with an olympic bar) then you phyiscally add weight to the bar as you adapt to the lifts.

progressively loading it.

HIIT = high intensity interval training- just a style of working out- can be applied to cardio or certain styles of weight training. Check thedailyhiit.com, zuzka light, lovingfit, angry trainer, nerdfitness.com, lots of great HIIT workouts that require little to no equipement.

New rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength

these are books that would help you if you wanted to pick up bar bell training.

I understand, thanks for breaking it down. The thing is, I really would like to avoid having to go to the gym in order to exercise. Ideally, I would like to be able to do everything at home, that's why I bought the dumbbells, because I was under the impression that it was all I needed in order to achieve my goals.. But I guess I wasn't right about that. I didn't realize you needed all this extra stuff in order to get fit. I mean, I'm not trying to get huge or anything. I just simply want to have some muscle and not look weak. Do you know another approach that I can take that wouldn't require me going to the gym? Something I can do easily from home without having to spend too much money on equipment?.. If that's possible?

Seriously?

did you read anything I wrote.

I already laid out SIX different programs

THREE for the gym

and THREE for body weight conditioning.... body weight meaning NO GYM.

I'm trying dude- seriously- I"m trying... but you're making this REALLY hard.

how old are you?

I love JoRocka! She really tries to be as patient as possible. She is a saint. But even saints have their limits. I feel ya, sister!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll check out "You Are Your Own Gym". Body weight exercises are exercises that don't rely on weights or equipment right? And yeah, I'm not looking to get big. Just in better shape than I am. Also could you explain the difference and benefits between using a barbell and using dumbbells? Thanks again~

You can't get big over night. Or on accident.- IT TAKES DEDICATED WORK. If there was a magical land of getting big over night- it would be an island full of people- because getting big takes months and months of hard heavy work and dedicated diet.

Barbell- olympic barbell- .. it's long- about 2.5 inches in diameter- and you you put round or hex weights on the sides. and then a collar to keep them from sliding off.

Dumbbell's- they are hand held.

Sorry, your posts are just very overly complicated and it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to say when I don't know anything remotely related to exercise and fitness, so it just goes over my head. I'm trying to understand but it's an overwhelming amount of information to absorb and take in. If you can avoid using phrases I probably won't understand, that would help me read your posts better so I can get the jist of it.

I understand that fitness and diet can be overwhelming- but it feels a little bit like you are either extremely young- and possibly violating the terms of the sites agreements.

OR you are choosing to NOT looking anything else up and educate yourself.

I know I'm a bit wordy- but I've laid out quiet a bit of information for you if you are willing to pick it up and educate yourself. But YOU have to be willing to do some work.

I'm here to help- really I am- but it's hard when it feels a little bit like I spent five minutes typing something up and the person asking didn't bother reading it.

Oh no. Sorry for any misunderstandings, but I'm not trying to get big. That's not the goal for me. I just want to get my body in shape. Not necessarily big. I just want to stop looking skinny and I want to have some muscle tone on my body. I know it's not an easy process but I'm willing to do what it takes because I just want to feel comfortable with my body and I just don't want to look like a weakling anymore. But yeah, I don't want to get big. And thanks for clarifying Barbells. And I'm 20 years old, I wouldn't say I'm young but I would say I'm clueless and not very educated at all when it comes to fitness, so I'm very slow when it comes to learning things like this.. Sorry if I seem like I'm being difficult. I'm just being presented a lot of different information, and I'm not really certain where to start first. I wish I wasn't having such a hard time with this because I hate to feel like a burden. I'm trying to listen, trust me, I'm just not sure what advice to follow since a lot of you guys are offering different advice and I'm not sure if I explained my goals clear enough, but yeah as I mentioned I don't want to get big. I just want to start training at home and see if I can tone up and get some muscle on me, so I just feel a little confused on where to start first. I'm not sure if I need to change my diet first, or if I need to buy other equipment, or if I need to read a certain book that you suggested, I'm just really misguided.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET BIG NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU WORK OUT. And I'm going to assume you are not going to work out hard, so don't worry about it. Just do SOME work.