So you want to start lifting? Great!

Fujiberry
Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
edited November 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine means this:
  • Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flies, ... ]
  • Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
  • Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
  • etc, etc.
You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
  • bench
  • squat
  • deadlift
  • pull-ups
  • rows
  • military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
  • Bench
  • Pull ups
  • Rows
  • Military Press

Workout B: Lower
  • Squat
  • Deadlift
  • Leg Press
  • Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:
  • Starting Strength
  • Strong Lifts
  • New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
  • All Pro's
  • Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look up online.

Any other suggestions? :)
Tagged:

Replies

• iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Good and informative post.

BUMP!
  • Fujiberry
    ^^^^^ THIS
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Thank you for this post and thank you to every who has input too. :flowerforyou:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Here's a very good standing overhead press video, goes over some of the nuances in getting the form just right. Follow his advice and you'll improve your lifting: http://youtu.be/sqKhLR1zRaU

There are several different bent over barbell rows, but the one to learn IMO is the Pendlay Row: http://youtu.be/ZlRrIsoDpKg Nothing is better for building a strong back and biceps. Bent over rows are why you don't need to waste your time with dumbbell curls or any other bicep curls.
  • vera_sweet
    vera_sweet Posts: 7 Member
    This is neat! Thanks for all the useful info here!
  • Fujiberry
    There's also a brief breakdown of some of the muscle groups engaged during compounds vs. isolations:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/compound-exercises-vs-isolation-exercises/
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    In so I can keep the videos handy...

Thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Very helpful. Thanks.
  • Fujiberry
    There's also a brief breakdown of some of the muscle groups engaged during compounds vs. isolations:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/compound-exercises-vs-isolation-exercises/

And there's more video breakdowns here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Bump
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Tagging and thanks for the great info and links!
  • foxcities2014
    foxcities2014 Posts: 3 Member
    good stuff!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    following!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    So in for this, thank you! c:
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Bump to read a bit later :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Great post OP :smile:

Your point about a split being for intermediates is very valid. I don't know how many people I see in the gym doing their "arm days" when there is definitely no strength base built yet.

One thing I will mention is that even though I am a huge fan of compound lifts they aren't actually "required". For people with injuries or mobility issues some of these can actually be dangerous so it is important to make sure that you are able to do them safely. And there is no reason why you can't switch in leg presses for squats while you work on hip/ankle mobility for example.

Some machines I actually prefer than free weights too like chest supported rows instead of bent over rows. Much harder to cheat and many people have an issue with keeping core tightness.

But just being nitpicky :tongue:

And one thing you will notice with all the beginner programs is they all provide progressive overload. That is most important. If you continue to do what you could do last week then there won't be adequate stimulus for change. This can be in the form of volume or intensity.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    As an additional alternative (if they are going the split route) I would recommend a Push/Pull/Legs split.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    In for the info
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    As an additional alternative (if they are going the split route) I would recommend a Push/Pull/Legs split.
    +1