So you want to start lifting? Great!

Options

Replies

• Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I got a set of resistance bands. Any advice?
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good post. I do a mixture of compound and isolation, which I find works well for me for both strength and definition. For example: Monday is chest and back. Which involves bent over BB rows, pull ups and bench press, as well as a few other lat and back exercises, like seated rows, superman and V bar pull downs. Wednesday is my shoulders, biceps and triceps day, where I do OH press and pull ups plus BB curls, tricep extensions, side and front DB raises plus others. Friday is legs day where I do squats and deadlifts (love both!) plus walking lunges, leg press, calf raises plus a couple of others.

I definitely agree compound exercises are great for beginners, but so important to get technique and form right before you even think about going heavy. I see too many with extremely poor form, and you're just waiting for them to get injured. If you're going to perform compound lifts you really need to get someone to help with technique, or at least watch videos with detailed commentary. You can seriously injure yourself if you have poor form and lift heavy.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

Another program that I find well structured and focuses on compound lifts is PHUL. It's split between upper and lower body and is probably more intermediate than beginning but it focuses on compound lifts with a few isolation lifts thrown in at the end of the workouts. Can't give any thoughts on results as I just started it last week. So far though, so good. Did NROLFW before that, also a great program and taught me a ton.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

LOVE PHUL! But definately not for beginners.

yeah, i was under the impression it is recommended for beginners to start off with full body, not split routines.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    bumpity
    <3
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing:)
  • feherd
    feherd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    :D
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you very much :)
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In to look into when I have more time!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    in for the video links
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. Thanks.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Quick reply so I can grab those videos later. I've been doing the main 5 through stronglifts and made some great gains. Struggling with the OHP though :( I've looked for a couple of videos but that one looks the best I've seen.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bumping!!
  • fayeriston
    fayeriston Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump