• mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Following this thread, great info.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    Great post OP :smile:

Some machines I actually prefer than free weights too like chest supported rows instead of bent over rows. Much harder to cheat and many people have an issue with keeping core tightness.

For sure.. some machines have a really awesome design. In addition I like the cables with the block and tackle set up. It allows for a more fluid motion; especially when I'm running to failure. The burn is so much more intense.
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good info!
    Keepin' it real!
    Thanks!
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In for the wisdom here....
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    As an older guy, I had to go to a split routine sooner than I think I would have if I were younger. So splits can help those who need a longer recovery time. I do a 4 day split of 5/3/1: squats, bench, DL, OHP. 5 day is volume (very high volume). 3 day is power (fast reps). 5/3/1 day is 1RM work. Accessories are very limited to mostly my back (good mornings, rows, pull-ups, chin ups). Deload every 8th week. I have been working this routine for a while now and adding 10 lbs / mo to all lifts. That is exactly the progress I am looking for.

Had I stayed on a full body routine, I would be dead.

Tom
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mirichan
    Mirichan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In to save the info as I intend to start lifting in July...
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump For reference :smile:
  • dazedandconfused87
    Options
    Hi,

Hoping this post is ok to ask a few questions in. I'm a woman who recently lost some weight and I want to move into maintenance mode now but recomp my body. I'm currently taking a break from cardio to give my body a rest, but previously I was exercising 5-6 days per week with a blend of jogging, HIIT and calisthenics + light dumbbells (5 lbs).

I am pretty fit in that I can jog 4 miles without stopping - not overly impressive times but my endurance is ok and I can do push-ups and burped and whatever else.

I want to gain strength and give my body a rest and maintain my weight but keep building strength and muscle. I currently have a routine that would consist of 2 days arms and 2 days legs workout with 2 HIIT sessions peppered in between. I don't have access to a gym however and have a stability ball, 8 lb dumbbells and 20lb dumbbells at home. The 20 lbs are mainly to hold during the leg workouts.

With such light hand weights though, am I wasting my time? Just started upping my cals to maintenance this week too so I am a little worried about putting on weight but if my body needs to to be stronger I won't fight that - would just prefer not to gain inches!

Any insight is appreciated :)
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Hi,

Hoping this post is ok to ask a few questions in. I'm a woman who recently lost some weight and I want to move into maintenance mode now but recomp my body. I'm currently taking a break from cardio to give my body a rest, but previously I was exercising 5-6 days per week with a blend of jogging, HIIT and calisthenics + light dumbbells (5 lbs).

I am pretty fit in that I can jog 4 miles without stopping - not overly impressive times but my endurance is ok and I can do push-ups and burped and whatever else.

I want to gain strength and give my body a rest and maintain my weight but keep building strength and muscle. I currently have a routine that would consist of 2 days arms and 2 days legs workout with 2 HIIT sessions peppered in between. I don't have access to a gym however and have a stability ball, 8 lb dumbbells and 20lb dumbbells at home. The 20 lbs are mainly to hold during the leg workouts.

With such light hand weights though, am I wasting my time? Just started upping my cals to maintenance this week too so I am a little worried about putting on weight but if my body needs to to be stronger I won't fight that - would just prefer not to gain inches!

Any insight is appreciated :)
    Check your messages~
  • haleighface
    haleighface Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Commenting to save for reference! Just started lifting without any guidance, happy to have this info!
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Following along for reference....
  • The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later, I want to start lifting but have no idea what to do. This thread seams full of great tips! Thanks op!
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    <3
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    In so I can keep the videos handy...

ditto...

edited to add: it's comforting to see a few others who are struggling with the OHP too!
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Revived!
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bump for info later