• travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great tips.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine meaning this:

- Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flys, ... ]
    - Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
    - Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
    - etc, etc.

You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
    - bench
    - squat
    - deadlift
    - pull ups
    - rows
    - military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Bench
    - Pull ups
    - Rows
    - Military Press

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Leg Press
    - Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
    All Pro's
    Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look on google or at Bodybuilding.com

Any other suggestions? :)

So last year i started doing the strong lift and kind of got away from it. Don't really like doing deadlifts, rows, and even squats (with weights). So what other options do you or anyone else suggest? I can do body weight squats, I don't mind bench presses, can probably deal with dumbbell curls or something like that. Is there a beginner plan that doesn't involve a variation of strong lift or starting strength?
  • GR4H4M5
    GR4H4M5 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can... but... compound exercises beat isolation hands down.
    This basic approach has been around for years and is still as valid today. It works.
    You can get a great workout and gains from a handfull of exercises twice a week. Not just beginners. Every level.

I vary my excersies for fun and adding interest.
    But use this routine 90% of the time as it gives a great workout - particularly if you're pushed for time. Alternating push pull movements lets you give your all to each one.

I don't squat due to an old back injury...

Wed and Sat...
    Leg press (squat if you can)
    Calf raise
    Pulldown (chins if you are strong enough)
    Shoulder press
    Row
    Bench press

I finish with some mat ab, core and stretching.

Other days I alternate cardio and swimming for fitness.

Work hard, eat well, rest.

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Forgot to come back to this, @GR4H4M5 ,is that stuff you listed done with cable machines?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine meaning this:

- Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flys, ... ]
    - Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
    - Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
    - etc, etc.

You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
    - bench
    - squat
    - deadlift
    - pull ups
    - rows
    - military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Bench
    - Pull ups
    - Rows
    - Military Press

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Leg Press
    - Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
    All Pro's
    Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look on google or at Bodybuilding.com

Any other suggestions? :)

So last year i started doing the strong lift and kind of got away from it. Don't really like doing deadlifts, rows, and even squats (with weights). So what other options do you or anyone else suggest? I can do body weight squats, I don't mind bench presses, can probably deal with dumbbell curls or something like that. Is there a beginner plan that doesn't involve a variation of strong lift or starting strength?

You're probably best off find a personal trainer that can work with you to determine what will work for you.
  • GR4H4M5
    GR4H4M5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Forgot to come back to this, @GR4H4M5 ,is that stuff you listed done with cable machines?

I tend to use machine's as they're quickest to set up and change weights... which helps you keep rest times between sets down - and let's you train quicker, which is handy if you you're pushed for time/on the way to work.

Some people prefer racks and/or free weights.
    IMO it's more the choice of exercise than the platform you use that matters.

Best way to find out what works for you is to experiment. Take bench press for example. Try it with free weights, barbell and bumbells. Try it in a power rack. Try machines.

All have their pros and cons.
    Free weight barbell lets you move more naturally... but it's hard to train safely to failure on your own. We've all seen 'fail' vids of guys pinning themselves to the bench.

Dumbells again allow for more natural movement - and arguably invovle more muscle to do the movement, due to the additional effort needed to balance the bells. But they may mean you can't shift as much weight.

Racks and machines are safer, and may allow you to use more weight due to more stability, and might keep your form in check. Though sometimes they can force you into a line of movement that you may find a little unnatural though.

Happy experimenting :-)

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Great tips thanks
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nice post and lots of great info

I'm not a beginner.

I follow that basic advice on compound exercises for my two days a week of lifting, sometimes only one day.

I train for triathlons and find the compound exercises are the best way to preserve lean body mass when focusing on long rides or long run workouts during the week.

There is something magical about a set of deadlifts and bench / shoulder presses to blast the upper body back into work shape

I will admit to doing that drop set of standing dumbbell curls for the good feeling of a solid pump though

Ha

• lssmith1961
    lssmith1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In so I can keep the videos handy...

Thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated!

• JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Bumping for later
  • fatboystevefisher
    fatboystevefisher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for the great info, I'm a pretty solidly built person, large frame but I'm fat (being blunt), so my question is while I'm dieting I have been been concentrating on doing all cardio exercises and have lost 18lbs in four wks but would I burn more calories doing weights? I've been told I'm fairly muscly cos of my large frame but it's more mass than toned muscle if you know what I mean...?? I used to train a lot when I was younger and know I can bulk up fairy quickly but I have still got 3 stone of fat to loose.
    Any advice would be appreciated, weight or cardio for best fat loss I spose is the question or even a mixture of both??
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for the great info, I'm a pretty solidly built person, large frame but I'm fat (being blunt), so my question is while I'm dieting I have been been concentrating on doing all cardio exercises and have lost 18lbs in four wks but would I burn more calories doing weights? I've been told I'm fairly muscly cos of my large frame but it's more mass than toned muscle if you know what I mean...?? I used to train a lot when I was younger and know I can bulk up fairy quickly but I have still got 3 stone of fat to loose.
    Any advice would be appreciated, weight or cardio for best fat loss I spose is the question or even a mixture of both??

Weight lifting. But, I personally recommend at least 30 mins of cardio (you decide the type... Biking, walking, running, stair stepper, etc.) I do it daily just to keep my heart in check. You won't lose muscle or any of that crap. I powerlift in the USAPL and my strength hasn't bottomed out because I cardio every day.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Following
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are my absolute favorite thing to do! I have no idea why people skip these!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    So i was going to start. strong lifts 5x5 looks alot like this. the question is, do i do 3 warm up sets of each before doing the 5 sets at a the same weight? how humbling this will be for a noob who hasn't ever lifted correctly let along lifted for years..now at 51 yrs old lol. oh well!
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    So i was going to start. strong lifts 5x5 looks alot like this. the question is, do i do 3 warm up sets of each before doing the 5 sets at a the same weight? how humbling this will be for a noob who hasn't ever lifted correctly let along lifted for years..now at 51 yrs old lol. oh well!

If you are starting with the empty olympic bar I would maybe do a couple sets of body weight squats to get the blood flowing, then get under the bar and go. As you add some weight I would again add 1 or 2 quick warm up sets with an empty bar.
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nice info
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the contrarian here. Just started lifting and am doing a push/pull/leg split. For one, I play racquetball or tennis almost daily and doing leg workouts twice a week kill my game. Also some of the core exercises are included (squats, deadlift, rows and bench press). But the main thing is it's enjoyable and I stick to it. The best program IMO is one you're going to do for an extended period of time.