To all the MFP meanies/bullies

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    guilty of this sometimes, so thanks for the reminder.

Cat-Gives-High-Five-on-Couch.gif
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Yes to all of this.

yep
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    236.gif.pagespeed.ce.iJfNTLmvwR.gif

funny-kitten-scared-of-a-lizard.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Well if you stumble across a stupid question and you're not willing to give a nice helping answer then don't answer it at all. There are other people who will help the new users. Meanness can make sensitive people leave this site and go on with their bad habits regarding eating/not exercising. So if you're not in to help in a nice way, move on to the spank/kiss threads.

That's not necessarily true. A lot of threads go unanswered or are answered by people who don't know what they're talking about. Without those meanies giving out factual information in a non-sugar-coaty way there would be far more misinformation around here.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    cat-playing-guitar-gif.gif

How I see me and my friends when entering a thread about weightloss pills/1200 calories/nothing works
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    :flowerforyou: Well said.

Someone sent me a PM a while ago, because they weren't sure how to interpret something I had said. We sorted it out, I had perhaps been unclear and they had perhaps misunderstood something, but all in all it was such a nice way of handling a potential conflict. Both parties were calm and straight forward about the matter, it was solved within minutes and I can't even remember said person's name anymore, only that they behaved like a good person. It took guts to send that PM and I respect that very much. None of that chewing on stuff forever, walking around blaming the general you or any other silliness.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    cat-playing-guitar-gif.gif

How I see me and my friends when entering a thread about weightloss pills/1200 calories/nothing works

Love it!
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    cutest-kitten-gifs-bath.gif

247.gif
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    oh god, again?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Some of you are my friends and I have my moments where I act like one.

-Sometimes people post really dumb questions.
    -Most questions have already been asked multiple times.
    -Some people post the same question once a week.

There are many times when we give people an answer they don't like. Some people sugar coat it, some people just give the information, some people give a bit of tough love. We all have different communications styles and we all respond to the different styles in different ways. It doesn't make the information any less valid. There's also no one "right" way to deliver information (although sometimes science and references are required).

If you are new here or you ask a question don't try to read emotion into the responses. Just because it isn't the answer you are looking for doesn't make it wrong. Sure, some people can be jerks (it is the internet). Stop taking it personally and for the love of pizza don't turn around and make a mean people thread. Ask for clarification, send a private message, or even abandon the thread and stick to asking your friends.

To all the bullies, meanies and jerks. I know that often we get called these things when someone doesn't like what we have to say or how we deliver the information. Not really our fault. The jumping in to attack people with snark and sarcasm without offering an explanation isn't helpful (and makes you look like an *kitten*). Enough of the mob mentality. It's helpful when trying to stop the misinformation, but not helpful when it's just attacking someone personally.

Let the hate mail and cat gifs commence.

Yeah, you pretty much hit all the nails on all the heads. Very thorough post.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    A5bru.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    :flowerforyou: Well said.

Someone sent me a PM a while ago, because they weren't sure how to interpret something I had said. We sorted it out, I had perhaps been unclear and they had perhaps misunderstood something, but all in all it was such a nice way of handling a potential conflict. Both parties were calm and straight forward about the matter, it was solved within minutes and I can't even remember said person's name anymore, only that they behaved like a good person. It took guts to send that PM and I respect that very much. None of that chewing on stuff forever, walking around blaming the general you or any other silliness.

This me too. On one occasion someone thought I said something, someone else thought I didn't. Two or three quick PM's cleared the whole thing up. Not that hard.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Well if you stumble across a stupid question and you're not willing to give a nice helping answer then don't answer it at all. There are other people who will help the new users. Meanness can make sensitive people leave this site and go on with their bad habits regarding eating/not exercising. So if you're not in to help in a nice way, move on to the spank/kiss threads.

That's not necessarily true. A lot of threads go unanswered or are answered by people who don't know what they're talking about. Without those meanies giving out factual information in a non-sugar-coaty way there would be far more misinformation around here.

I don't think she means if you are mean don't answer a question. But if it is just pure sarcasm of the person or question asked with no information or help given whether said in a nice or tough way then don't bother commenting. I agree that some people especially beginners who are not used to gifs and sarcasm won't be able to understand where they went wrong and would just leave.

I personally would say if your answer is helpful whether said in a mean or nice way say it but if you want to make fun of the person posting then don't.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    oh god, again?

I see you didn't read my post, but thank you for contributing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Would you rather no reply than one you found to be harsh?

Being coddled, misinformed and patted on the back for doing really pointless/stupid stuff is a reason a lot of people end up here. IMO, better that the facts and realities are laid down early.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member

Helping and nice are not necessarily the same thing. And if someone leaves this site over the words someone they'll never meet wrote on a screen, then they aren't ready to commit to losing weight and being healthy. They can go on living with their bad habits and when they are ready to grow a backbone and listen to people who have already been there, hopefully they will return. Either way, the world ain't about unicorn farts and rainbows. Some people need to quit being OVERLY sensitive. The truth hurts and sometimes that's exactly the dose of reality we need.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Well said.

Here's a cat gif.

cat-is-busted.gif
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    Some of you are my friends and I have my moments where I act like one.

-Sometimes people post really dumb questions.
    -Most questions have already been asked multiple times.
    -Some people post the same question once a week.

There are many times when we give people an answer they don't like. Some people sugar coat it, some people just give the information, some people give a bit of tough love. We all have different communications styles and we all respond to the different styles in different ways. It doesn't make the information any less valid. There's also no one "right" way to deliver information (although sometimes science and references are required).

If you are new here or you ask a question don't try to read emotion into the responses. Just because it isn't the answer you are looking for doesn't make it wrong. Sure, some people can be jerks (it is the internet). Stop taking it personally and for the love of pizza don't turn around and make a mean people thread. Ask for clarification, send a private message, or even abandon the thread and stick to asking your friends.

To all the bullies, meanies and jerks. I know that often we get called these things when someone doesn't like what we have to say or how we deliver the information. Not really our fault. The jumping in to attack people with snark and sarcasm without offering an explanation isn't helpful (and makes you look like an *kitten*). Enough of the mob mentality. It's helpful when trying to stop the misinformation, but not helpful when it's just attacking someone personally.

Let the hate mail and cat gifs commence.

Well, sometimes questions seem stupid to others but it's something someone is curious about. I dunno. I think sometimes people really overestimate their expertise and forget that they actually aren't monitoring you every step of the way and that their knowledge isn't always helpful or correct. Weight loss is hugely relative and peoples bodies work in entirely different ways.
    You don't catch many trainers or dietitians being rude, sarcastic or abrupt in their answers because they know that isn't helpful to anyone. It's not motivating either.
    There's too much aggression and emotion though. People just need to take this site for what it is, a motivation and discussion forum for health and fitness. That's all... It's not that serious.
    I dunno, some people help and some people hinder.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    ?id=9ac55971de24e07e311530ac6487d8d6_o.gif&v=1399647787

?id=0c3e0f60f101a126c7458f5f7a90c00b_o.gif&v=1399837526
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    And since the topic is so nice, I will try to post my first celebratory image, well gif. Wish me luck!

tumblr_mc8ogelxgQ1qltb20o1_250_zps8e45f6a4.gif