OK Ladies...Be HONEST!!

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Getting off fitness gear, why is it women can wear skirts to the office but men can't wear shorts? Is it more professional to see a woman's legs than a man's?

Probably because it used to be required that women wear skirts in most workplaces and it's just one of those commonly accepted things now.

Interesting point you make.

This is kind of what I was driving at before, perhaps poorly. There's a subtle sexualized component to lots of commonly accepted practices. They're so integrated at this point we don't even question them. I'm sure this is true for workout clothes as much as it is office attire.

Radical feminists are the reason women are even allowed to wear pants, have jobs, own property, or get credit.

I also think you are confusing two things:

On one hand, you keep talking about societal gender norms. I would agree with you that these are a problem. Our concepts of "men" and "women" really disadvantage women and men both in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, you insinuate that women who dress a certain way are wanting attention. This is an epic fail on your part.

AND I'm out!

Like I said earlier. The girl in the sports bra and spandex shorts that are basically panties wants more looks than the girl in sweats and tanktop. The girl at the beach in a thong and ultra tiny top wants more attention then the girl in a two piece. I'm not making a value judgement on them for it just pointing out the obvious.

So, I can ogle the guy in a speedo but not the guy in trunks?

[sarcasm]
    not only can you ogle him... but maybe you should go up and grab his *kitten* and wink while you're at it. Or tell him you want to take him home for some real good cardio.
    [/sarcasm]

But only if I'm cute enough, right?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    As for the big dude. Its an animal thing. As Vin Diesel would say.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    True, very true.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Most guys in the gym aren't like that. They just wanna workout and dream about winning the olympics or Olympia,lol. I also have a friend that likes body building and he says that women stare non stop at him. So he puts his hoodie on and music in and keeps his head down. He said in the beginning it was okay but now it gets on his nerves.

Me, I just wanna not be bothered and workout.

lol, Z. really? who's not gonna look at the hulk making a comeback? I'm surprised the little wee folk don't go running for the hills when you walk into the gym. The sonic booms from your tire flipping are scary enough, God forbid you flex in front of a dude like the OP, he'd faint.

Gods of lifting don't even notice when they are being spied upon. Usually our massively impressive lifts and workouts are so intimidating the creep's eyeballs will explode out of their head, causing death, and we Gods will only notice the pile of dead bodies after our workouts are done when we have to step over them to exit the gym.

T omg, love you gurl!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

What does one have to do with the other?

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

See the difference here? You're comparing apples to sheetrock.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

Not quite true. Nipples, you know.

I referred to this earlier. Breasts outlined in tight clothing are acceptable in public, and often expected (based on societal fashion).
    Nipples are often hidden by padded bras. I know that I have one bra that does not do a good job hiding them, and I actually noticed a decided increase in the number of times people went out of their way to say something. (I thought it was my lipgloss actually. LOL)

If a man wears an outfit that gives that sort of outline (typically only speedos leave that great an impression) people often say it's gross. And that is WRONG. There is nothing about the male or female body that is GROSS.

But I do imagine that it is a contributing factor as to why men wear compression shorts UNDER their baggy ones to the gym, and not just something similar to a compression short on it's own. Socially it seems to be more of a faux-pas for a man to wear tight shorts outside of "accepted" sports - i.e. cycling for one.

MEN - can you contribute to that theory?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I actually exercise in a bra and panties. In my basement.

7pm tonight, and I'll leave the shades open a crack, dbmata.

Sweet, once I'm done making this immersion chiller, i'll get my camera! Wooow.

Actually, no, my hams are not happy after last night. LOL.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Also for the love of god, maybe some women enjoy attention for how they dress, but tighter clothes are more goddamn comfortable. Loose clothing rubs against my skin and feels really bad.

Men: women are not thinking about you 100% of the time. Not all of their decisions are about you.

This is a big part of my point. People should dress how they want to (for attention, for comfort, for style) and not have to worry about assumptions being made about their motives (by men AND by women).

I used to be one of those women who would look at a girl with a short skirt and shake my head. One day I realized what an a*s I was being. If she wanted to rock a short skirt - that's her prerogative and my judgement was a reflection of myself and not her.

People should wear whatever they want to wear and be safe, secure and judgement free. Hopefully one day we'll get there.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Don't mind it t all. It's actually a huge ego boost, when done appropriately, i.e.: no lewd comments or gestures. but a good once-over is very flattering, and makes me work harder!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

I referred to this earlier. Breasts outlined in tight clothing are acceptable in public, and often expected (based on societal fashion).
    Nipples are often hidden by padded bras. I know that I have one bra that does not do a good job hiding them, and I actually noticed a decided increase in the number of times people went out of their way to say something. (I thought it was my lipgloss actually. LOL)

If a man wears an outfit that gives that sort of outline (typically only speedos leave that great an impression) people often say it's gross. And that is WRONG. There is nothing about the male or female body that is GROSS.

But I do imagine that it is a contributing factor as to why men wear compression shorts UNDER their baggy ones to the gym, and not just something similar to a compression short on it's own. Socially it seems to be more of a faux-pas for a man to wear tight shorts outside of "accepted" sports - i.e. cycling for one.

I don't find the bulge of the male genitalia gross at all... Mmmmmm.... John Hamm.... I also think speedos are fine.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think this thread is causing me to think about how I act in the gym.

I'm generally rather surly, but if I see someone with good form, partiularly with squats or deadlifts (where I need better form), I don't care, I'll look so hard they'll think they're being sized up by Hannibal, or they'll think I'm trying to figure out the DTF ratio.

Now, just thinking out loud here, would a woman get upset if someone or all guys just shunned her at the gym? Like actively avoided all looking at her. I wonder if there would be an upset thread about not being looked at? Just a random thought that just came to mind.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I don't find the bulge of the male genitalia gross at all... Mmmmmm.... John Hamm.... I also think speedos are fine.

Nor do I. It's a sad thing that it seems to have a negative stigma on it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't mind. Obviously, like all things, it's better if taking social skills and cues into account.

If I have the option I do tend to stay in the ladies section, though. As long as it has what I need. I'm looking into switching to a gym that doesn't have that. It's not something I need a gym to have, but I will use it if it's there.
  • Niecytwentyfive
    Niecytwentyfive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, I do realize that I'm at the gym where hormones are flying around at full speed. Some looking is to be expected there. I don't mind a little distraction if the guy is cute to me, if he's not, he'll only annoy me. It's that simple for me.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm generally rather surly, but if I see someone with good form, partiularly with squats or deadlifts (where I need better form), I don't care, I'll look so hard they'll think they're being sized up by Hannibal, or they'll think I'm trying to figure out the DTF ratio.

Now, just thinking out loud here, would a woman get upset if someone or all guys just shunned her at the gym? Like actively avoided all looking at her. I wonder if there would be an upset thread about not being looked at? Just a random thought that just came to mind.

If I asked to work in and you acted like I smelled bad, I'd be upset. But most people kind of DO avoid looking at each other, you know, give each other that sense of personal space and visual privacy.

I keep thinking about this woman on my Disney cruise that was built. Every muscle in her body was perfect. I couldn't help staring at her, but I feel bad about it now. She probably gets sick of constantly being stared at.
  • dbmata
    Options

So, I'll be serious here for a few.

When I wear compression shorts its because I want a little more support, or if nothing else, the feeling of more support. When I played baseball as a catcher, I used them. When I lift weights, I either wear them if they're clean, or I'll go commando. When I run, commando. When I ride my road bike, my bike shorts are super padded, but there is definitely a presence in the front to behold.

I think the idea of hiding the wedding tackle is rather silly, but if there is a situation where you need the added support, use the compression shorts for what they're for. Oh, and you don't want your berries flappin' about if you take a fall while alpine climbing. Trust me. Tight shorts there.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I've never heard a woman say about a man "his pants are way too tight, gross!". I'm pretty sure it's about not having your junk out on display, the same reason I don't wear the pants that I love, but give me a distinct camel toe - it's beyond my personal comfort level.

Of course commenting on the appearance of ANY person wearing ANYthing using the word gross is wrong.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Nor do I. It's a sad thing that it seems to have a negative stigma on it.
    What about Elvis?
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options

That would be awesome. Can I sign up for that?

Hmm, that made ME think. Do they still have nunneries? Do those nunneries have weight rooms? Do you think they'd let an atheist in to use them? :-P
  • dbmata
    Options
    If I asked to work in and you acted like I smelled bad, I'd be upset. But most people kind of DO avoid looking at each other, you know, give each other that sense of personal space and visual privacy.

I guess it's just the behavior at the margins which is at issue. Just like it would be wrong for me to look at you as you talk and then turn around, it would be equally wrong to just stand there watching your set and drooling.

I'm glad at my gym I'm one of 3 people that knows how to squat or deadlift. I don't have anyone asking to work in. If someone did though, I think I'd be more prone to let a woman work in than a man, simply because I don't need to try to get into a competition with someone, and I know I wouldn't with a woman. (Which I'm sure someone could call that out as sexist, eh? Hmmm.)
  • likitisplit
    Options

I've never heard a woman say about a man "his pants are way too tight, gross!". I'm pretty sure it's about not having your junk out on display, the same reason I don't wear the pants that I love, but give me a distinct camel toe - it's beyond my personal comfort level.

Of course commenting on the appearance of ANY person wearing ANYthing using the word gross is wrong.

That made me think of the Prancersize lady. VERY similar commentary there (Gross, etc).