OK Ladies...Be HONEST!!

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Both I'm guessing LOL. Guys don't get nearly as much attention so I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big deal.

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

So if you DO wear a Speedo, are you looking to get more attention? More attention from large men that might have the power and the desire to rape you?

Of course he doesn't want attention. It's all about improving the speed of his laps.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

What does one have to do with the other?

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

See the difference here? You're comparing apples to sheetrock.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

Not quite true. Nipples, you know.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Most guys in the gym aren't like that. They just wanna workout and dream about winning the olympics or Olympia,lol. I also have a friend that likes body building and he says that women stare non stop at him. So he puts his hoodie on and music in and keeps his head down. He said in the beginning it was okay but now it gets on his nerves.

Me, I just wanna not be bothered and workout.

lol, Z. really? who's not gonna look at the hulk making a comeback? I'm surprised the little wee folk don't go running for the hills when you walk into the gym. The sonic booms from your tire flipping are scary enough, God forbid you flex in front of a dude like the OP, he'd faint.

Gods of lifting don't even notice when they are being spied upon. Usually our massively impressive lifts and workouts are so intimidating the creep's eyeballs will explode out of their head, causing death, and we Gods will only notice the pile of dead bodies after our workouts are done when we have to step over them to exit the gym.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you do, just don't interrupt me. Chances are I'm not even paying attention.

Agreed!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I actually exercise in a bra and panties. In my basement.

7pm tonight, and I'll leave the shades open a crack, dbmata.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well since women don't mind answering questions meant for guys...

If a woman thinks a man is attractive she enjoys the attention. If she does not think he's attractive she doesn't. That simple.

But for a lot of women time at the gym is just that, time to exercise. Feeling like it's a meat market is an annoyance.

The quoted bold is what I'm saying.. I believe that's how it works for some, yeah.

I also think that this (bolded) goes both ways.

The OP asked "good looking women" for example. But by whose definition? Am I even qualified to answer his question?

Also I believe it to be true that if a man sees a woman he doesn't find attractive staring he thinks its creepy too (or am I wrong??)

(Oh and I haven't read any posts after this one so I may be stepping on toes...)
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If i am in a bad mood and there to hit the crap out of the bag, YES. If it is a normal gym day, IDGAF.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well since women don't mind answering questions meant for guys...

If a woman thinks a man is attractive she enjoys the attention. If she does not think he's attractive she doesn't. That simple.

But for a lot of women time at the gym is just that, time to exercise. Feeling like it's a meat market is an annoyance.

The quoted bold is what I'm saying.. I believe that's how it works for some, yeah.

I also think that this (bolded) goes both ways.

The OP asked "good looking women" for example. But by whose definition? Am I even qualified to answer his question?

Also I believe it to be true that if a man sees a woman he doesn't find attractive staring he thinks its creepy too (or am I wrong??)

(Oh and I haven't read any posts after this one so I may be stepping on toes...)

That's a great response and a point that hasn't been covered. Thank you!
  • naamahgoddess
    naamahgoddess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like it when anyone checks me out a the gym, and that's why I work out at home. I think its annoying. But than again, im not one of those girls running around it tiny shorts and sports bras either. Girls check out girls as well, and I just feel like they are sizing me up, and it pisses me off. When I went to the gym I would rock old band shirts and usually whatever pajamas pants I slept in. On my running days I would wear shorts, and I always got uncomfortable if some guy was on the treadmill behind me because I felt like he was chasing my *kitten*, literally. I love being checked out, don't get me wrong, but I like getting checked out when im like on my walk into work all dressed up in heels and a dress. NOT when im all sweaty and working out.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me to a certain extent. I honestly stare at a LOT of people male or female if they're really in shape because I want to see how they're working out!

But if you're really obviously giving me that up-and-down look or trying to get me to notice you staring at me, it makes me extremely uncomfortable. It's not even that it's inherently that terrible, but I don't think you understand just how MUCH women get hit on, cat called, etc.

I am constantly reminded that I am a woman and everyone is very aware and concerned about my looks, 24/7.

I don't think it's a huge deal if you're being discreet, but you're not giving a woman a compliment by checking her out.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

Right, but my point was that the person I quoted said women who dress in a certain way "wanted" looks/attention. I was merely pointing out the fallacy in his argument. Women aren't passing judgement on a man when they say that Speedo's are unattractive, they are commenting on the piece of clothing, not the motivation or wants of the person wearing said clothing (like he was doing).
  • rexroars
    Options
    Also for the love of god, maybe some women enjoy attention for how they dress, but tighter clothes are more goddamn comfortable. Loose clothing rubs against my skin and feels really bad.

Men: women are not thinking about you 100% of the time. Not all of their decisions are about you.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Also for the love of god, maybe some women enjoy attention for how they dress, but tighter clothes are more goddamn comfortable. Loose clothing rubs against my skin and feels really bad.

Men: women are not thinking about you 100% of the time. Not all of their decisions are about you.

Your not lieing lol i hate hate HATE baggy sweat pants getting in my way im always pulling them up at the thighs.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Right, but my point was that the person I quoted said women who dress in a certain way "wanted" looks/attention. I was merely pointing out the fallacy in his argument. Women aren't passing judgement on a man when they say that Speedo's are unattractive, they are commenting on the piece of clothing, not the motivation or wants of the person wearing said clothing (like he was doing).

Your point was spot on.

The next post suggested part of the difference was the gender difference in genitalia.

I provided an example that disproved that theory.

But the digression had nothing to do with the fact that saying "deriding a fashion choice" is the same thing as "inferring consent even if the person protests" is ridiculous.
  • rexroars
    Options

Your not lieing lol i hate hate HATE baggy sweat pants getting in my way im always pulling them up at the thighs.

THANK YOU. I sometimes get a rash if my clothes are too loose. Sweat + rubbing fabric is so gross. Also, another thing - to me having sleeves at all is really gross when I'm sweating a ton. It's like just armpit waterfalls.

Tanktops = avoiding armpit sweat ponds. Tanktops DO NOT mean trying to please men.
  • doyabad86
    doyabad86 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't have a problem if someone is looking as long as they don't try to actually hit on me or follow me around the gym. A good rule of thumb is just don't be a creeper, or if you can't help it and your just naturally creepy, don't get caught lol. I think the thing that bothers me more than guys/girls looking or not looking are the guys/girls that come to the gym for the sole purpose to be looked at. You have all seen the girl that spent more time doing her hair and make-up than actually working out. She is wearing a matching, next-to-nothing, sports bra and boyshort panty, has the outfit down like she's going to go hard on a workout but then hasn't a clue how to lift or operate a machine. If your looking for a man wait outside the gym for one to come out. Don't tie up the machines with your lurking and attention seeking. Some of us here actually wanna workout when we go to the gym!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to other people. So unless you're being overtly creepy I wouldn't even notice.

*leer*

Leering is subtle. Nice try.
    so you do pay attention!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Both I'm guessing LOL. Guys don't get nearly as much attention so I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big deal.

So if you DO wear a Speedo, are you looking to get more attention? More attention from large men that might have the power and the desire to rape you?

Of course he doesn't want attention. It's all about improving the speed of his laps.

Right. Of course. And if this guy (on the right) shows up to the pool and starts creeping, saying "damn boy" and winking while staring at the grape smuggler and says "he was asking for it by the way he was dressed".....

pedro-pascal-and-hafthor-julius-bjornsson.jpg?w=600
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Getting off fitness gear, why is it women can wear skirts to the office but men can't wear shorts? Is it more professional to see a woman's legs than a man's?

Probably because it used to be required that women wear skirts in most workplaces and it's just one of those commonly accepted things now.

Interesting point you make.

This is kind of what I was driving at before, perhaps poorly. There's a subtle sexualized component to lots of commonly accepted practices. They're so integrated at this point we don't even question them. I'm sure this is true for workout clothes as much as it is office attire.

Radical feminists are the reason women are even allowed to wear pants, have jobs, own property, or get credit.

I also think you are confusing two things:

On one hand, you keep talking about societal gender norms. I would agree with you that these are a problem. Our concepts of "men" and "women" really disadvantage women and men both in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, you insinuate that women who dress a certain way are wanting attention. This is an epic fail on your part.

AND I'm out!

Like I said earlier. The girl in the sports bra and spandex shorts that are basically panties wants more looks than the girl in sweats and tanktop. The girl at the beach in a thong and ultra tiny top wants more attention then the girl in a two piece. I'm not making a value judgement on them for it just pointing out the obvious.

So, I can ogle the guy in a speedo but not the guy in trunks?

[sarcasm]
    not only can you ogle him... but maybe you should go up and grab his *kitten* and wink while you're at it. Or tell him you want to take him home for some real good cardio.
    [/sarcasm]
  • likitisplit
    Options

Right. Of course. And if this guy (on the right) shows up to the pool and starts creeping, saying "damn boy" and winking while staying at the grape smuggler and says "he was asking for it by the way he was dressed".....

pedro-pascal-and-hafthor-julius-bjornsson.jpg?w=600

Then we will all ask whether he has a picture of his quads or booty on MFP.