OK Ladies...Be HONEST!!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is causing me to think about how I act in the gym.

I'm generally rather surly, but if I see someone with good form, partiularly with squats or deadlifts (where I need better form), I don't care, I'll look so hard they'll think they're being sized up by Hannibal, or they'll think I'm trying to figure out the DTF ratio.

Now, just thinking out loud here, would a woman get upset if someone or all guys just shunned her at the gym? Like actively avoided all looking at her. I wonder if there would be an upset thread about not being looked at? Just a random thought that just came to mind.
    That would be awesome. Can I sign up for that?

Hmm, that made ME think. Do they still have nunneries? Do those nunneries have weight rooms? Do you think they'd let an atheist in to use them? :-P
    There is a nunnery where I live. I don't know if they're lifting though.

If you have good squat form though, you're already signed up.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That made me think of the Prancersize lady. VERY similar commentary there (Gross, etc).

I laughed, she's awesome.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

What does one have to do with the other?

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

See the difference here? You're comparing apples to sheetrock.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

Not quite true. Nipples, you know.

I referred to this earlier. Breasts outlined in tight clothing are acceptable in public, and often expected (based on societal fashion).
    Nipples are often hidden by padded bras. I know that I have one bra that does not do a good job hiding them, and I actually noticed a decided increase in the number of times people went out of their way to say something. (I thought it was my lipgloss actually. LOL)

If a man wears an outfit that gives that sort of outline (typically only speedos leave that great an impression) people often say it's gross. And that is WRONG. There is nothing about the male or female body that is GROSS.

But I do imagine that it is a contributing factor as to why men wear compression shorts UNDER their baggy ones to the gym, and not just something similar to a compression short on it's own. Socially it seems to be more of a faux-pas for a man to wear tight shorts outside of "accepted" sports - i.e. cycling for one.

MEN - can you contribute to that theory?

I've never heard a woman say about a man "his pants are way too tight, gross!". I'm pretty sure it's about not having your junk out on display, the same reason I don't wear the pants that I love, but give me a distinct camel toe - it's beyond my personal comfort level.

Of course commenting on the appearance of ANY person wearing ANYthing using the word gross is wrong.

Agreed that using the word gross applied to another's body is out of line. I am wondering about the query Mirey posed about the social acceptance of men in tight clothes. I was baffled by this when I once posted a picture of a male ballet dancer whose body I thought was inspiring. Many responded by saying "gross" when there were accolades given to women in near the same dress.

I thought I should clarify that though my comment was quoted above, I didn't intend for it to be interpreted as "male form in gross"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If I asked to work in and you acted like I smelled bad, I'd be upset. But most people kind of DO avoid looking at each other, you know, give each other that sense of personal space and visual privacy.

I guess it's just the behavior at the margins which is at issue. Just like it would be wrong for me to look at you as you talk and then turn around, it would be equally wrong to just stand there watching your set and drooling.

I'm glad at my gym I'm one of 3 people that knows how to squat or deadlift. I don't have anyone asking to work in. If someone did though, I think I'd be more prone to let a woman work in than a man, simply because I don't need to try to get into a competition with someone, and I know I wouldn't with a woman. (Which I'm sure someone could call that out as sexist, eh? Hmmm.)

It kind of makes me wish I could out lift you, which is probably ugly on my part as well :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I just find it ironic that men don't seem to need skin tight clothes to be "comfortable." Could it be that maybe, just maybe, there's some other reason women's workout clothes are skin tight? And since when do women care about comfort? They prance around in 6 inch heels all day but wearing a pair of semi baggy shorts is uncomfortable? That's just silly.

If we don't wear heels, do we get a vote on what's comfortable?

Sometimes tighter is more supportive. Like why some guys insist on briefs instead of boxers.

Edit to clarify that I am more comfortable not standing out, for the most part. I don't care if someone looks at me, people look at each other. But no, I really don't want to be approached or stared at. On the other hand, if someone approaches me, I'm not going to get angry and upset. People need to meet each other somehow, and if I were looking, I'd probably be happy that someone approached me.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Image for ref

male-dancer-1-300x227.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Image for ref

male-dancer-1-300x227.jpg

beautiful.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

EDIT: also, there was a Speedo thread, and I brought this up here, where most of the women agreed men shouldn't wear a Speedo because it wasn't attractive. So women in tight clothes = comfort. Men in tight clothes = gross?

Women think Speedo's are gross = an opinion about a piece of clothing that in no way represents the desires/wants/consent of the person wearing it.

Men think women dressing in tight clothing = said woman "wanting the looks" they get, so assigning desires/wants/consent to another person based on their clothing.

I think the differentiation is that women can wear tight clothes without seeing a clear-as-day outline of their genitals. One of the advantages of having our reproductive organs on the inside :glasses:

I referred to this earlier. Breasts outlined in tight clothing are acceptable in public, and often expected (based on societal fashion).
    Nipples are often hidden by padded bras. I know that I have one bra that does not do a good job hiding them, and I actually noticed a decided increase in the number of times people went out of their way to say something. (I thought it was my lipgloss actually. LOL)

If a man wears an outfit that gives that sort of outline (typically only speedos leave that great an impression) people often say it's gross. And that is WRONG. There is nothing about the male or female body that is GROSS.

But I do imagine that it is a contributing factor as to why men wear compression shorts UNDER their baggy ones to the gym, and not just something similar to a compression short on it's own. Socially it seems to be more of a faux-pas for a man to wear tight shorts outside of "accepted" sports - i.e. cycling for one.

I've never heard a woman say about a man "his pants are way too tight, gross!". I'm pretty sure it's about not having your junk out on display, the same reason I don't wear the pants that I love, but give me a distinct camel toe - it's beyond my personal comfort level.

Of course commenting on the appearance of ANY person wearing ANYthing using the word gross is wrong.

Agreed that using the word gross applied to another's body is out of line. I am wondering about the query Mirey posed about the social acceptance of men in tight clothes. I was baffled by this when I once posted a picture of a male ballet dancer whose body I thought was inspiring. Many responded by saying "gross" when there were accolades given to women in near the same dress.

I thought I should clarify that though my comment was quoted above, I didn't intend for it to be interpreted as "male form in gross"

I didn't think that you were inferring that..

Not directing this at you...
    Why IS it that some people say speedos are considered "gross". What is gross about it? That's kind of where I'm going with it.

The question was asked earlier, if men can wear baggy clothes to the gym, why can't women do the same, and a lot of people (myself included) said "comfort and practicality".
    So I wonder... if it is so much more comfy for us to wear form fitted clothing... why isn't the same true for men?

is there a stigma against men wearing tight shorts in the gym?

(seriously debating on creating a thread on that)

As for the picture... it truly is a work of art! NOT GROSS

eta... spawned : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1310920-why-don-t-more-men-wear-tight-shorts-to-the-gym
  • dbmata
    Options
    If I asked to work in and you acted like I smelled bad, I'd be upset. But most people kind of DO avoid looking at each other, you know, give each other that sense of personal space and visual privacy.

I guess it's just the behavior at the margins which is at issue. Just like it would be wrong for me to look at you as you talk and then turn around, it would be equally wrong to just stand there watching your set and drooling.

I'm glad at my gym I'm one of 3 people that knows how to squat or deadlift. I don't have anyone asking to work in. If someone did though, I think I'd be more prone to let a woman work in than a man, simply because I don't need to try to get into a competition with someone, and I know I wouldn't with a woman. (Which I'm sure someone could call that out as sexist, eh? Hmmm.)

It kind of makes me wish I could out lift you, which is probably ugly on my part as well :)

Naw, not at all, but if you put another plate on, I would probably take it off when it was my set, since I don't have to out alpha you. ;)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Men in tight clothes don't bother me at all, so it's hard to comment on it. I'm a dancer though, so maybe I'm just used to it.

I do, overall, think women are generally more comfortable commenting on the appearance of others - both positively and negatively (their opinions, not the assumptions about the character of the wearer), because we grow up learning how to do just that. It's another part of our culture, unfortunately. And no, it's not right.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Why IS it that some people say speedos are considered "gross". What is gross about it? That's kind of where I'm going with it.

The question was asked earlier, if men can wear baggy clothes to the gym, why can't women do the same, and a lot of people (myself included) said "comfort and practicality".
    So I wonder... if it is so much more comfy for us to wear form fitted clothing... why isn't the same true for men?

Do it. But do it tomorrow so I can be in.

I know I don't wear loose shorts because I end up with them bunched up in my crotch. I probably would if I could. Also the "see up my shorts thing." I will wear loose cotton shorts over running leggings due to camel toe issues, but they're short enough to result in chafing if worn on their own.

They're selling shorts with the "compression brief with racing shorts on top" look in the running section, but they look hideous on me.

I don't know why guys wear what they wear.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I just find it ironic that men don't seem to need skin tight clothes to be "comfortable." Could it be that maybe, just maybe, there's some other reason women's workout clothes are skin tight? And since when do women care about comfort? They prance around in 6 inch heels all day but wearing a pair of semi baggy shorts is uncomfortable? That's just silly.

Sometimes tighter is more supportive. Like why some guys insist on briefs instead of boxers.

Edit to clarify that I am more comfortable not standing out, for the most part. I don't care if someone looks at me, people look at each other. But no, I really don't want to be approached or stared at. On the other hand, if someone approaches me, I'm not going to get angry and upset. People need to meet each other somehow, and if I were looking, I'd probably be happy that someone approached me.

I've spent 17 or so pages trying to figure out where all these women in 6 inch heels are. The only place I've ever seen them is the strip club, and I'm pretty sure that no attire is expected there for women. I own 1 pair of 6 inch heels, and I've only ever worn them with an evening gown one time.

You know, today I was talked to a little too much in the gym. One guy interrupted my squat sets, which is a no-no. And then I got interrupted again when I was working hamstrings. I'm all for chatting in the gym, and I'm sure the guy has a crush, but today was one of those days I wore a dowdy, loose shirt and ugly Old Navy pants to the gym. Attire had nothing to do with it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Speedos specifically, I don't think they are very flattering. That doesn't mean I think men who wear them are gross, it's just not a look that is attractive to *me* personally. But since men don't dress for the pleasure of women, it's a non-issue.

If a dude wants to wear tight clothing, he can knock himself out. People should wear whatever they want to.

And no, I don't think there is a stigma on men wearing form fitting clothes to the gym. Like I said before, it is probably a matter of not having their junk tightly molded for personal comfort reasons. But if they want that junk out - rock it.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I've spent 17 or so pages trying to figure out where all these women in 6 inch heels are. The only place I've ever seen them is the strip club, and I'm pretty sure that no attire is expected there for women. I own 1 pair of 6 inch heels, and I've only ever worn them with an evening gown one time.

You know, today I was talked to a little too much in the gym. One guy interrupted my squat sets, which is a no-no. And then I got interrupted again when I was working hamstrings. I'm all for chatting in the gym, and I'm sure the guy has a crush, but today was one of those days I wore a dowdy, loose shirt and ugly Old Navy pants to the gym. Attire had nothing to do with it.

I have a beautiful pair of 4" Banana Republic sandals that I can't fit into anymore.

I'm not sure what that implies about my consent or lack of it.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Speedos specifically, I don't think they are very flattering. That doesn't mean I think men who wear them are gross, it's just not a look that is attractive to *me* personally. But since men don't dress for the pleasure of women, it's a non-issue.

If a dude wants to wear tight clothing, he can knock himself out. People should wear whatever they want to.

And no, I don't think there is a stigma on men wearing form fitting clothes to the gym. Like I said before, it is probably a matter of not having their junk tightly molded for personal comfort reasons. But if they want that junk out - rock it.

Funny... because my first response was that it "wasn't manly", and a male on my wall said "that's nasty".

I'm thinking that it's more stigma related than you may think

ETA: and the third was that he didn't want his man parts discernible. again... judgement related
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

A 6" heel would make me 6'3" :drinker:
  • MireyGal76
    Options

A 6" heel would make me 6'3" :drinker:

LOL I'd be 6'7"
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The Funniest thing in this post is that girls with statements like "I don't care If they stare at me" or "I don't even pay attention" have profile pictures with their butts. Hey girls, you show your butt in a webpage to strangers and you are telling us you don't want to have "the looks" on it when you work out at gym?

Are you using reverse psychology to troll for booty pics?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Funny... because my first response was that it "wasn't manly", and a male on my wall said "that's nasty".

I'm thinking that it's more stigma related than you may think

ETA: and the third was that he didn't want his man parts discernible. again... judgement related

Who said any of those are judgement related? It could, perhaps, be modesty. I don't like rocking a camel toe. Not because people would judge me, but because that's above my *personal* comfort level. I don't want my flaps on display.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    futurama-fry-leela-bender-characters-troll-face-trollface.gif