OK Ladies...Be HONEST!!

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The fact is, if someone isn't touching you, interrupting your workout or saying something derogatory, it doesn't matter whether you "like" it or not. It's a gym for &%$#@! sake, not an Emily Post party.

kinda sounds like you are saying that it's ok to leer and visually grope someone... so long as you don't ACTUALLY touch them.

Unless you realize that someone who is leering at someone else IS actually interrupting that person's workout as soon as they are aware it is happening.

I love being relatively oblivious to others.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Getting off fitness gear, why is it women can wear skirts to the office but men can't wear shorts? Is it more professional to see a woman's legs than a man's?

Probably because it used to be required that women wear skirts in most workplaces and it's just one of those commonly accepted things now.

Interesting point you make.

This is kind of what I was driving at before, perhaps poorly. There's a subtle sexualized component to lots of commonly accepted practices. They're so integrated at this point we don't even question them. I'm sure this is true for workout clothes as much as it is office attire.

Radical feminists are the reason women are even allowed to wear pants, have jobs, own property, or get credit.

I also think you are confusing two things:

On one hand, you keep talking about societal gender norms. I would agree with you that these are a problem. Our concepts of "men" and "women" really disadvantage women and men both in a lot of ways.

On the other hand, you insinuate that women who dress a certain way are wanting attention. This is an epic fail on your part.

AND I'm out!

Like I said earlier. The girl in the sports bra and spandex shorts that are basically panties wants more looks than the girl in sweats and tanktop. The girl at the beach in a thong and ultra tiny top wants more attention then the girl in a two piece. I'm not making a value judgement on them for it just pointing out the obvious.

But you are making a value judgement. AND YOU ARE IGNORING THE WORDS OF WOMEN AROUND YOU WHO ARE SAYING THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Plenty of females in here saying that they dress in sports bras and spandex because it is COMFORTABLE and supportive. Not for looks.

ya douchecanoe.

Please don't get yourself a strike over this idiocy.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The fact is, if someone isn't touching you, interrupting your workout or saying something derogatory, it doesn't matter whether you "like" it or not. It's a gym for &%$#@! sake, not an Emily Post party.

kinda sounds like you are saying that it's ok to leer and visually grope someone... so long as you don't ACTUALLY touch them.

Unless you realize that someone who is leering at someone else IS actually interrupting that person's workout as soon as they are aware it is happening.

I love being relatively oblivious to others.

Yeah. I thought that being polite, gracious and socially skilled was required everywhere. Not just at parties. I've never been invited to an Emily Post party. Should I be saddened?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If it's a cute guy I wouldn't mind a few glances, but even the best looking guy would eventually creep me out if they kept staring at me without trying to start a conversation.

Okay but here's MY question and I was honestly thinking about this the to other day. Is there ANY scenario where it would be acceptable and invited that a male struck up a conversation with you (or this is for any women here) at the gym with the goal to open up lines of communication for a date?

Because for me, I don't care if I get 3 or 4 smiles from the same girl at the gym while I'm training, I would NEVER try and hit up a chic at the gym. I feel like it's a place of sanctity where we're all there for a purpose, simply use the equipment and don't want to be disturbed. Now anywhere else, I wouldn't hesitate I just don't feel comfortable with trying to "hit on" a chic at the gym under really any scenario unless she opened up the chat first.

Day 1: Hi, how are you?

Next time you see them: Hey, mine name is George, nice to meet you.

Maybe after 3 or 4 conversations about their day, the weekend, etc (in between sets if they seem open to being chatting, if not, move on), THEN you can work in an invatation to dinner: "I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime, if it wouldn't be too weird..."
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think it depends. If it's a cute guy I wouldn't mind a few glances, but even the best looking guy would eventually creep me out if they kept staring at me without trying to start a conversation.

Okay but here's MY question and I was honestly thinking about this the to other day. Is there ANY scenario where it would be acceptable and invited that a male struck up a conversation with you (or this is for any women here) at the gym with the goal to open up lines of communication for a date?

Because for me, I don't care if I get 3 or 4 smiles from the same girl at the gym while I'm training, I would NEVER try and hit up a chic at the gym. I feel like it's a place of sanctity where we're all there for a purpose, simply use the equipment and don't want to be disturbed. Now anywhere else, I wouldn't hesitate I just don't feel comfortable with trying to "hit on" a chic at the gym under really any scenario unless she opened up the chat first.

My husband and I seemed to magically have similar workout hours at our apartment gym before we started dating. That wasn't looks or leering. That was friendly chatting that turned into a need to borrow a phone for a minute.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure girls never want to be talked to ever. I was in line at a make-your-own pizza place yesterday and this nice looking girl was behind me. She ended up passing me in line because her pizza maker was faster than mine. I jokingly said, "whoa, no cuts." She threw me to the ground and gouged my eyes out with her thumbnails and peed in my skull.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lmaoo so true. If your cute, you can stare.
    I may even throw a few tricks in.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lmaoo so true. If your cute, you can stare.
    I may even throw a few tricks in.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Bumping off my topics
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bumping off my topics

Ditto
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Bumping off my topics

Ditto

Ohai!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bumping off my topics

Ditto

Ohai!

'sup?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Socially awkward thread of socially awkward for the win
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    tipple
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Oh hai!! Looks like we rolled.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Hey Guize!!!

Is this the thread on 6 inch heels, spandex and thongs? In.
  • _Tink_
    Options
    Hey Guize!!!

I have all of those. Am I home??
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Hey Guize!!!

I think someone needs to change the curtains in here and liven up the place a bit, maybe some new carpet, but sure
  • _Tink_
    Options
    Hey Guize!!!

I think someone needs to change the curtains in here and liven up the place a bit, maybe some new carpet, but sure

Well yeah. Standard protocol. *installs stripper pole*
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I could give you a funny answer laugh it off and smile, I am good at that sometimes. In the past I would have said, sure, guys can look, it's nice to know I look good etc...

But not now...

What's changed? My self respect tbh. I don't want to be seen as a sex object. I want to be seen as a person, do men like been stared at while they work out? It puts you off your game, you are there to work out. What's worse is when a guy tries to 'help' you with your workout cos you are woman and clearly you can't know what to do. It can be nice, if you are asking for help of look like you need it, sure...anyway that's not the question. I wear tights to the gym cos they are practical, they stay up, they don't bunch up they move when I move etc, I don't do it for men.

BUT

I do like to be seen as beautiful...there is a difference between objectification and seeing beauty and that is what you are looking at and how long you are looking. I will look at a guy for a few seconds, I notice them but that's it, not this oogling or staring and not at genitals and *kitten*.