For those who married young or are currently engaged

Options
123457»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I got a simple cubic zirconia. I had no desire to go diamond due to the fact if I lost it I'd cry. I got a nice clear one with 2 little blue ones on the side. White for the child I never had that would have been an april baby and 2 blue ones for my son & now hubby
  • Jazz_Hands
    Jazz_Hands Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got engaged at 21, married at 22 (we started dating when I was 17)...it was fantastic for me, but marrying young certainly is not for everyone - at 29 I'm not even CLOSE to the same person I was when I met/married him. Not at all to doubt your judgment or commitment to your girlfriend, but 18 is VERY young, and with only one or two exceptions, every single one of the couples I know who married right out of high school are no longer together.

As for my wedding set, the 1.25ct central diamond is a family heirloom that my parents had saved for me, and the rest of the set is around 1ct TW in white gold...maybe $2500-$3000 or so at the time?
    I'd have been happy with a ring pop from him (as I'm sure your lady would be from you)...but it might be wise to ask yourself that if you're struggling to afford even the most basic jewelry for her, whether or not you're REALLY truly ready step out on your own and start your own family.

Best of luck!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    engaged three years...i asked him....still waiting for a ring.

You haven't given him a ring yet?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I occasionally joke about him proposing to me with a Ring Pop because neither of us would be able to afford a ring.

Honestly, if he did it, I would say yes in a heartbeat and it would make for one heck of a story later on.

As far as getting a "place holder," check Ebay. There are actually some decent deals (albeit they're cheap pieces) on there that will work until you're able to get something more permanent. :)

Edited for formatting and to add: I would say yes to him without a ring, too. It's not about the ring, it's about the promise.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I got married at 18. We will celebrate our 19th anniversary in a few weeks.

My first ring was from Sears. Lol! I lost it a few years ago, still sad about that. :-(
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How young is "young"?

My husband sold plasma to save a down payment on my ring, then financed the rest. It was a white gold and diamond replica of a cheap silver ring he gave me when we were 19, so it has a lot of significance to us.
  • lscalone95
    lscalone95 Posts: 16
    Options
    My boyfriend and I occasionally joke about him proposing to me with a Ring Pop because neither of us would be able to afford a ring.

Honestly, if he did it, I would say yes in a heartbeat and it would make for one heck of a story later on.

As far as getting a "place holder," check Ebay. There are actually some decent deals (albeit they're cheap pieces) on there that will work until you're able to get something more permanent. :)

Edited for formatting and to add: I would say yes to him without a ring, too. It's not about the ring, it's about the promise.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun, hahaha!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    $105 CZ set from wal-maaaaart! I get so many freaking compliments on them. Nobody needs to know how geniune and expensive your stuff is, but you. I didn't marry him for a diamond.

I am not married, but I totally agree with this. I want a fake ring as well. That money could be spent on so many other things.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I must be from a different cloud because I love me some diamonds. We didn't married young though. We got engaged at 23 and 25. With that said, I would've married my husband regardless what he got me. I love him for him, not for how much he can spend on a ring.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

Not much more can happen now. We've been together 7 years, have 2 kids, lived together for 6 of the years. Fought, vacationed, etc. Not all marriages are destined to fail!

Congrats.... you're in the minority then. I can't count how many friends I know who were married young, and are now in their early to mid 20's and divorced already.
    [/quote

Engaged at 18, married at 22, had the cheapest wedding we could ( we wanted to spend the $$ on building a house, not a one time ceremony,] and are still married 43 years later.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I still don't have an engagement ring. I thought it'd be a waste of money really when at the time we had other things to spend money on. I told him that he can get me one when we've been married 10 years. Next week is our 8 year anniversary so he has two years to save up and get me a stellar ring. And after the past 8 years.. I think I'll deserve it.