Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I started running I went wholehog not knowing anything and never asking for advice. I got a scortching case of planar faciatias. Everyone here is giving you quality advice because we've all made or at least seen the over enthusiastic mistakes beginning runners make and we're hoping to help you avoid the pain.

This is why I'm not overly concerned about this goal. These things tend to take care of themselves. Personally I think there's little to no chance of this working without an injury. Not in that time frame. tendons, joints, muscles, ligaments. They all need time and training to handle that much distance at once. What do I know? I only took 5 months off for an irritated achilles. Overtraining is a myth.

75% of runners, no matter how experienced or seasoned and regardless of the miles they run each week end up with some sort of soft-tissue injury that requires them to sit it out for at least three training runs sometime in a year. That's the solid reality that all runners live with and work around.

Being a newbie and ramping up distance quickly just loads that set of dice away from your favor.

Let's see here... in the past year...

Left AND right Achilles inflammation (physical therapy)
    Foot pain (doctor visit, bone scan)
    Ankle pain/inside shin pain (doctor visit, bone scan, prescrip NSAIDs)
    Blisters (live and learn)

I will say this though, OP, and I love your attitude. I think the seasoned runners here, myself included, are perhaps judging your decision based on our criteria of how a marathon is "ran." When I recommend doing a half instead, my frame of reference is that if I run a marathon, I'm going to run it and accept nothing short of a 4:00 for myself. For myself, I do not accept walking in a marathon as a success, but many others do, and that's 100% fine by me as well.

I accept walking in a marathon as a success. I accepted walking in my half marathon as a success. If there is any intention of being a runner after this event, I think that a slower build would be helpful.

Just want to make it extra clear before I get attacked by anyone that my standards are for me and how I choose to use my registration fees. I'm not slow-shaming anyone - my success is certainly someone else's awful run, etc. But I will say that running, walking, or run/walking 26.2 miles in 6+ hours is not my idea of a fun time. That's creeping into the hot afternoon and lunch.

Unrelated to this - I do take issue with the folks here who call people like me "haters" for not endorsing and cheerleading decisions we have valid disagreement with.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    When I started running I went wholehog not knowing anything and never asking for advice. I got a scortching case of planar faciatias. Everyone here is giving you quality advice because we've all made or at least seen the over enthusiastic mistakes beginning runners make and we're hoping to help you avoid the pain.

This is why I'm not overly concerned about this goal. These things tend to take care of themselves. Personally I think there's little to no chance of this working without an injury. Not in that time frame. tendons, joints, muscles, ligaments. They all need time and training to handle that much distance at once. What do I know? I only took 5 months off for an irritated achilles. Overtraining is a myth.

75% of runners, no matter how experienced or seasoned and regardless of the miles they run each week end up with some sort of soft-tissue injury that requires them to sit it out for at least three training runs sometime in a year. That's the solid reality that all runners live with and work around.

Being a newbie and ramping up distance quickly just loads that set of dice away from your favor.

I will say this though, OP, and I love your attitude. I think the seasoned runners here, myself included, are perhaps judging your decision based on our criteria of how a marathon is "ran." When I recommend doing a half instead, my frame of reference is that if I run a marathon, I'm going to run it and accept nothing short of a 4:00 for myself. For myself, I do not accept walking in a marathon as a success, but many others do, and that's 100% fine by me as well.

Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon. I am sure I will stop at some point , or slow down as to "jog". I dont have a time in mind, I just want to not get picked up by the Losers van. lol..my success will come in the training. I have never run a mile in my whole life, even as a chubby little fat kid. So now even me running for a full 3 min yesterday was a win. My end goal is to cross that finish line, but also my success will come from the "running" leading up to it.

Thanks for the attitude praise. You runners are all a tough crowd. lol....luckily for me, I have tough skin being raised with 5 boys!

Also, thank you for your service Mr. Airman!

I think you should plan to both train and actually run at specific run/walk intervals as you are building towards your goal. Perhaps I am projecting, because that's what I am doing for my first marathon training. I ran a 20 mile race in May and there's no way at all I could have done it without walk intervals, despite being perfectly capable of running for 10-13 miles (depending on the day and course) straight. The physical toll of marathon training is much, much higher than even half marathon training. And once you get past half marathon mileage, things can start to happen that are strange and scary. You can fake your way through a half marathon if you are reasonably fit. Faking your way through a marathon is extremely difficult.

You are right, and I will try and do everything so that my body is strong for that day. I know it wont be easy, I just need it to be attainable. "Faking your way through a marathon is extremely difficult" , I appreciate the honesty in this. I think I may steal this and put it on my wall.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I also thought of a few more:

1. Stick to your training plan, whichever one you choose to do. They understand training, tapering, rest, etc more than you, I, or 99.9% of the posters on here. Running a few races does not make someone a pro and what worked for them, may or may not work for you. I can only give you tips based on my own experience, mistakes, successes, and such.
    2. Some say you will gain weight. From what I understand, you still have weight to lose. I'm assuming you will drop as you will still want to maintain a small daily deficit. Don't get discouraged as you balance fueling your body with weight loss. It's a tough balance, but losing fat will help your body during your training and on race day.
    3. Buy a good running app. I use Runtastic Pro (don't have the Gold plan) because it allows me to dissect my running (or biking) afterwards. Also buy one of those arm bands to hold it. Mine holds a $20 bill and a CC as well.
    4. Wear an ID bracelet with emergency contact info when you run outside. Or at least carry your license (or a copy) with you. Tape a copy to your phone.
    5. This will be easier without excessive amounts of alcohol.
    6. I like running in circles more than an out and back run. I'd rather create a course using different roads and neighborhoods than run x distance or time out, turn around and run it back. Just a personal preference.
    7. A man I work with who coaches a high school cross country team taught me this drill for increasing speed as you progress. I like doing it weekly. I'd do this when you can comfortably jog an hour without stopping. Go to a track. Set your countdown time for 6:00. Sprint on the inside lane for 1 lap (1/4 mile). From that time left to 3:00, recover. Get a sip of water, walk, lightly job. At 3:00, repeat. Do that for 3 weeks. Then add another 3:00. Your times will improve and you should be able to get up to 8 repeats I understand this may be 6-8 months away, but that is how I do speed work 1x week.
    8. Explain why you plan on finishing the marathon and not "race" it. And I don't mean race to win, I mean race to get the best possible time. If not, you can walk 26.2 miles on your own. You will get to a point where you will want to "race" it.

Charlene

These are good ideas , some I never thought about. # 8. Well yes you are right, I dont want to walk the whole thing, otherwise I wouldnt be "training" . This is something of a challenge to myself. Being immobile last year to now being able to train for something, to have a goal, to be a part of something greater then me is my goal. I will do my best to finish the race running, and I will also do my best to finish it in the best time for myself. I have quite a few obstacles including 3 large hills in San Diego, BUT thats why a person trains. I cannot foresee everything bad that will happen (injuries etc.) but If I do go down, I wont go down without a fight. lol......

Thanks for the sprinting advice, this will def be useful.

I hope you were just being polite, as that is terrible, terrible advice for you in this first year's buildup to a marathon.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon. I am sure I will stop at some point , or slow down as to "jog". I dont have a time in mind, I just want to not get picked up by the Losers van. lol..my success will come in the training. I have never run a mile in my whole life, even as a chubby little fat kid. So now even me running for a full 3 min yesterday was a win. My end goal is to cross that finish line, but also my success will come from the "running" leading up to it.

Thanks for the attitude praise. You runners are all a tough crowd. lol....luckily for me, I have tough skin being raised with 5 boys!

I think you should plan to both train and actually run at specific run/walk intervals as you are building towards your goal. Perhaps I am projecting, because that's what I am doing for my first marathon training. I ran a 20 mile race in May and there's no way at all I could have done it without walk intervals, despite being perfectly capable of running for 10-13 miles (depending on the day and course) straight. The physical toll of marathon training is much, much higher than even half marathon training. And once you get past half marathon mileage, things can start to happen that are strange and scary. You can fake your way through a half marathon if you are reasonably fit. Faking your way through a marathon is extremely difficult.

And that is the 100% truth right there.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If the race has a 7 hour cut off, then even walking it to completion is fairly impressive to me. That's 3.75mph average which to me is a fairly brisk walking pace.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You are right, and I will try and do everything so that my body is strong for that day. I know it wont be easy, I just need it to be attainable. "Faking your way through a marathon is extremely difficult" , I appreciate the honesty in this. I think I may steal this and put it on my wall.

I think this may be the biggest problem you face...that you don't yet know enough to know what your best approach is to this...and the reason you don't yet know enough about it is that you don't know how your body will respond to the increase in training...in intensity, frequency, duration, volume, or any other parameter.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    If the race has a 7 hour cut off, then even walking it to completion is fairly impressive to me. That's 3.75mph average which to me is a fairly brisk walking pace.

Thank goodness I will not be planning on walking the whole thing :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon.

The observation that I'd make is that you clarify this goal now, is it to complete or is it to run the distance?

If it's to complete, then train against that criterion; Galloway plans are probably the least risk for you in that instance.

Is a run/ walk completion achievable? Yes

Is a run completion achievable? Also yes, although there are much higher risks, and the training will consume much more of your time..

The risks need to be mitigated, particularly around injury and what that'll do to the plan.

A few questions

How are you motivated? Your goal is a year out, and there are a lot of miles between now and then. Idealism will only get you so far, so how do you recognise successes in training.

What's your preferred learning model? There will be failures in training, you'll miss sessions, or you'll burn out during sessions. What will keep you going after those, and how will you learn from the experiences?

What cross training do you intend to use?

Do you anticipate continuing to run afterwards? Lots of people do marathons as a life-tick, hate it but achieve it. Just something to reflect on yourself rather than anything else.

It's a big undertaking. It took me about 9 months to get to half marathon distance, but my objective was to do that without injuring myself (given a history of lower leg issues and reconstruction surgery on both legs).
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon.

The observation that I'd make is that you clarify this goal now, is it to complete or is it to run the distance?

If it's to complete, then train against that criterion; Galloway plans are probably the least risk for you in that instance.

Is a run/ walk completion achievable? Yes

Is a run completion achievable? Also yes, although there are much higher risks, and the training will consume much more of your time..

The risks need to be mitigated, particularly around injury and what that'll do to the plan.

A few questions

How are you motivated? Your goal is a year out, and there are a lot of miles between now and then. Idealism will only get you so far, so how do you recognise successes in training.

What's your preferred learning model? There will be failures in training, you'll miss sessions, or you'll burn out during sessions. What will keep you going after those, and how will you learn from the experiences?

What cross training do you intend to use?

Do you anticipate continuing to run afterwards? Lots of people do marathons as a life-tick, hate it but achieve it. Just something to reflect on yourself rather than anything else.

It's a big undertaking. It took me about 9 months to get to half marathon distance, but my objective was to do that without injuring myself (given a history of lower leg issues and reconstruction surgery on both legs).
    I plan to complete the marathon. I am sure there will be some walk, mostly run involved. I dont have a set time im trying to finish at. My successes come everyday. Like I mentioned previously, I have never been a runner. Every mile is a success. I know its a long year...but a year goes by fast. ..for me. I plan to always re-evaluate what im doing to be the best I can be. I have been reading alot, asking questions , learning , doing.. As far as cross training I will be biking, walking, core exercises. I do continue on running after the marathon. Yes, you are right it is a big undertaking..

Last but not least, if these answers will be analyzed to let me know that I am not born to be a runner or cannot finish the marathon without breaking a hip, please refrain. :) lol.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that this one was in San Diego? Which one in SD are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    In addition to or instead of walking+biking, If at all possible, you might consider a good Yoga and a good functional fitness training class/plan. You are going to need to address the leg muscles you don't typically use as a runner and figure out some good stretching poses/maneuvers to loosen up the muscles and ligaments you do use. You likely will benefit immediately from those even during c25k.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    In addition to or instead of walking+biking, If at all possible, you might consider a good Yoga and a good functional fitness training class/plan. You are going to need to address the leg muscles you don't typically use as a runner and figure out some good stretching poses/maneuvers to loosen up the muscles and ligaments you do use. You likely will benefit immediately from those even during c25k.

You know what I have been reading and hearing that Yoga is a great thing to doo, I will def have to try that out.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    You mentioned that this one was in San Diego? Which one in SD are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Rock & Roll SD May 2015
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I plan to complete the marathon. I am sure there will be some walk, mostly run involved.

In that case I would reiterate the suggestion that a Galloway plan would be most appropriate. It's lower risk in terms of injury, and it's less physically demanding. It's still a significant undertaking, but it's about maximising your potential success.
    My successes come everyday. Like I mentioned previously,

I would suggest putting some thought into the points I made about recognising both success and failure in training. The whimsical persona is all very well, but when something derails you for a week, whether injury or something outside your control, it's useful to have some structure that'll get you back out the door.

There are already suggestions of 5K and 10K races, using the plan that you want to follow now will help you plan when those can be, so that you can arrange the races. Similarly your weight loss goals, there are times that you'll plateau, potentially gain occasionally, so how are you going to reward yourself? Again merely points for you to think about.

As an example, I was due a 9km recovery paced run last night, that I really didn't feel like. Fourth day of training in a row, on tired legs and after a stressful day in the office with no lunch. What should have been a fairly gentle session turned into an unpleasant saga. Have something that will get you out the door, regardless of how you feel.
    I do continue on running after the marathon.

Good.
    Last but not least, if these answers will be analyzed to let me know that I am not born to be a runner or cannot finish the marathon without breaking a hip, please refrain. :) lol.

No need to be quite as defensive. I've already made clear that whilst your objective is aggressive it's achievable. I'm merely trying to convey some observations on reducing your risk.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I plan to complete the marathon. I am sure there will be some walk, mostly run involved.

In that case I would reiterate the suggestion that a Galloway plan would be most appropriate. It's lower risk in terms of injury, and it's less physically demanding. It's still a significant undertaking, but it's about maximising your potential success.
    My successes come everyday. Like I mentioned previously,

I would suggest putting some thought into the points I made about recognising both success and failure in training. The whimsical persona is all very well, but when something derails you for a week, whether injury or something outside your control, it's useful to have some structure that'll get you back out the door.

There are already suggestions of 5K and 10K races, using the plan that you want to follow now will help you plan when those can be, so that you can arrange the races. Similarly your weight loss goals, there are times that you'll plateau, potentially gain occasionally, so how are you going to reward yourself? Again merely points for you to think about.

As an example, I was due a 9km recovery paced run last night, that I really didn't feel like. Fourth day of training in a row, on tired legs and after a stressful day in the office with no lunch. What should have been a fairly gentle session turned into an unpleasant saga. Have something that will get you out the door, regardless of how you feel.
    I do continue on running after the marathon.

Good.

No need to be quite as defensive. I've already made clear that whilst your objective is aggressive it's achievable. I'm merely trying to convey some observations on reducing your risk.

At this point, I know im fairly new at running..and the last year I have overcome alot of mental challenges dealing with health, surgeries, depression etc etc. I have found a new peace in getting out there even when its hard, when its not perfect, when its easier to sit on the couch. I dont plan on quitting, and if things happen along the way (which im assured they will) I will just reevaluate and keep it moving. I realize also that if some huge injury happens etc and I cannot run the race, then so be it..I wont run it...but in the midst of training and learning I will do whats in my power to avoid injury. You do bring up good points to think about. Thanks! :)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    At this point, I think the VERY BEST thing for you to do...immediately if possible...is to sign up and pay for a 5K race in your area to coincide with the weekend following final week of the C25K program. Time to get the ball rolling toward your very first milestone. It will give your training some much needed focus.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also thought of a few more:

1. Stick to your training plan, whichever one you choose to do. They understand training, tapering, rest, etc more than you, I, or 99.9% of the posters on here. Running a few races does not make someone a pro and what worked for them, may or may not work for you. I can only give you tips based on my own experience, mistakes, successes, and such.
    2. Some say you will gain weight. From what I understand, you still have weight to lose. I'm assuming you will drop as you will still want to maintain a small daily deficit. Don't get discouraged as you balance fueling your body with weight loss. It's a tough balance, but losing fat will help your body during your training and on race day.
    3. Buy a good running app. I use Runtastic Pro (don't have the Gold plan) because it allows me to dissect my running (or biking) afterwards. Also buy one of those arm bands to hold it. Mine holds a $20 bill and a CC as well.
    4. Wear an ID bracelet with emergency contact info when you run outside. Or at least carry your license (or a copy) with you. Tape a copy to your phone.
    5. This will be easier without excessive amounts of alcohol.
    6. I like running in circles more than an out and back run. I'd rather create a course using different roads and neighborhoods than run x distance or time out, turn around and run it back. Just a personal preference.
    7. A man I work with who coaches a high school cross country team taught me this drill for increasing speed as you progress. I like doing it weekly. I'd do this when you can comfortably jog an hour without stopping. Go to a track. Set your countdown time for 6:00. Sprint on the inside lane for 1 lap (1/4 mile). From that time left to 3:00, recover. Get a sip of water, walk, lightly job. At 3:00, repeat. Do that for 3 weeks. Then add another 3:00. Your times will improve and you should be able to get up to 8 repeats I understand this may be 6-8 months away, but that is how I do speed work 1x week.
    8. Explain why you plan on finishing the marathon and not "race" it. And I don't mean race to win, I mean race to get the best possible time. If not, you can walk 26.2 miles on your own. You will get to a point where you will want to "race" it.

Charlene

These are good ideas , some I never thought about. # 8. Well yes you are right, I dont want to walk the whole thing, otherwise I wouldnt be "training" . This is something of a challenge to myself. Being immobile last year to now being able to train for something, to have a goal, to be a part of something greater then me is my goal. I will do my best to finish the race running, and I will also do my best to finish it in the best time for myself. I have quite a few obstacles including 3 large hills in San Diego, BUT thats why a person trains. I cannot foresee everything bad that will happen (injuries etc.) but If I do go down, I wont go down without a fight. lol......

Thanks for the sprinting advice, this will def be useful.

I hope you were just being polite, as that is terrible, terrible advice for you in this first year's buildup to a marathon.

Speedwork is important in any training plan. Maybe at this stage in the game, or as I suggested, the 6-8 month mark, a 1/4 mile sprint would be 4:30 for the OP, maybe it's 1:30 for me, and maybe it's 1:10 for you. Who knows? Maybe it wouldn't work for her for 2 years. Everyone is different. Hills, rest, cross training, proper fueling and hydration are all important as well.

Charlene
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

We're tough because we all see you with same attitude we had when we started and many of us bit off more than we could chew and almost decided maybe running isn't our sport. We're not actually tough the people giving you advice that borders on "tough love" may be tough but we care. Runner's are a great group of people, we don't hate, we love and support each other and we are always excited to welcome someone else to the cult, er um, sport. If this really is your goal, find a plan and keep to it as closely as you can. There will be times when you'll have to deviate but as long as you are mostly on plan you'll be OK. You've picked a very ambitious goal so those who have been there are giving you advice because they want to help you achieve your goal.

As far as walking, I personally walk through water stops. That very short respite helps me keep fresh and has improved my times, plus I don't wear water. Good luck. I strongly recommend at some point before your marathon you run at least one organized, timed race, even if you walk it. You don't want your marathon to be the first time you experience all the chaos and excitement of a race. Maybe even volunteer for a race, seeing other people race and helping them out with water, post race bananas a bib or whatever is a lot of fun.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Since you have made up your mind that you are going to do this come h3ll or high water, then I will also get behind the Galloway suggestion (even though I am not a fan of that approach). As was mentioned earlier, it is the best opportunity for you to be trained just enough to get through this entire training process and the race. I strongly encourage you to find a group that is using Galloway to train specifically for the race you are going to do, like Team in Training.

Some don'ts

Don't deviate from the plan
    Don't skip rest days
    Don't ignore signs to take a rest day. It's better to take 3 days off this week than 3 weeks off two weeks from now

Even though I am adamantly opposed to this idea, I do wish you the best in this journey. I'd like nothing more than for you to be successful AND to want to continue to run after your marathon.

Like another poster stated, I comment here not only for you, OP, but for every other new runner that stumbles across this thread in hopes that some of them will take a more cautious approach.

Best wishes,
    Carson