Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options
So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot when I was in my twenties so here is my one big tip...

Get a pair of properly fitted shoes from a place that will take the time to properly fit you. More often than not you'll be able to find a shoe store in town that caters to runners and that is where you want to be even though it will cost you more to buy there.
  • Shitpeas
    Shitpeas Posts: 1
    Options
    Not sure how old you are so it could be tricky to give advice!

I'm 20 and I ran a marathon in April 2012 and I ran the same one this year so I've got a bit of experience!

I'd advise starting off very slowly. It does depend on how fit you are currently, but a lot of people start off just jogging for a few minutes then running for 30 seconds and repeating like that for however long. Slowly build up so you're resting for shorter periods of time until you can run whatever distance you started at without walking at all.

You have a long time to train so I wouldn't advise doing any long runs for a while. Start off just going out for 10 minutes, 15 minutes or whatever to get used to it.

Probably the best piece of advice I can give you is to sign up for other races. Start off with a 5k and slowly build your way up. Try and enter your first half marathon around November time if you feel up to it as 13.1 miles is a good distance to start figuring out what kind of pace you want to try and run the full marathon at.

Another thing is to vary the types of runs you're doing. Mixing in things like strides and hill runs into your training is really beneficial and should help a lot.

Make sure you're eating plenty to refuel the calories you burn too. You've lost a great amount of weight but don't be so focused on losing more weight that you don't refuel properly.

Get something to help measure the distances you're going too. There are plenty of free apps you can get on a phone (I use the Nike running app, it's very accurate too)! There are also Nike sportbands and GPS watches, Garmin GPS watches which are really good, etc. I'd advise searching on google for a beginners marathon training program. Don't follow it exactly, but there are plenty around which give good tips on how to mix up your runs each week.

Make sure you get some good shoes too. They're an important investment and can really help with your running. I use the Adidas Boost shoes but there are plenty of good ones around. A lot of sports shops can help advise you of the type of running shoe to get (not everybody has the same running stride, and obviously the shape of your foot is unique to you).

Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot when I was in my twenties so here is my one big tip...

Get a pair of properly fitted shoes from a place that will take the time to properly fit you. More often than not you'll be able to find a shoe store in town that caters to runners and that is where you want to be even though it will cost you more to buy there.

Great tip. YEs, we have a runners world, and will def be investing.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    leave time to train. I ran over 13 marathons and I'm going to say about 4 I actually trained for that event. The others I did not train and either did okay or did awtotheful. There's a difference between racing a marathon and running a marathon. Running without adequate training is not as much fun and not satisfying.

Do not get overly worked up that you missed a running day. Yet, DO a long run here and there (~20 miles) to avoid that wall smack-hit to the quads/knees/hamstrings.

Do not change your routine a month before your event. I did this for new headphones (kept slipping out of my ear, that I just decided to chuck them to the street... it was that frustrating but then again, I qualified for Boston that day). I also did this for gu (I threw up and pretty much had the worst stomach pain ever).

Do functional training aka train for the conditions you're running in. Marathon got hills? Guess who is doing some surges (actually, I do hill repeats a lot because I love hills).

I also would have done more pacing... because running fast when the brain isn't working is kind of a cool skill.

Someone else will probably add more on fueling and chafing requirements.
    I only rely on what the aid stations have and sometimes I'm too full....
    I also do not chaff too bad so do not require as much Vaseline as the next person.

Your start- more or less you will start out too fast. Pay attention to the first mile time and really hit it in your brain if you really can keep the pace up (my first marathon I did a 6:07 minute mile out of pure excitement).
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Not sure how old you are so it could be tricky to give advice!

I'm 20 and I ran a marathon in April 2012 and I ran the same one this year so I've got a bit of experience!

I'd advise starting off very slowly. It does depend on how fit you are currently, but a lot of people start off just jogging for a few minutes then running for 30 seconds and repeating like that for however long. Slowly build up so you're resting for shorter periods of time until you can run whatever distance you started at without walking at all.

You have a long time to train so I wouldn't advise doing any long runs for a while. Start off just going out for 10 minutes, 15 minutes or whatever to get used to it.

Probably the best piece of advice I can give you is to sign up for other races. Start off with a 5k and slowly build your way up. Try and enter your first half marathon around November time if you feel up to it as 13.1 miles is a good distance to start figuring out what kind of pace you want to try and run the full marathon at.

Another thing is to vary the types of runs you're doing. Mixing in things like strides and hill runs into your training is really beneficial and should help a lot.

Make sure you're eating plenty to refuel the calories you burn too. You've lost a great amount of weight but don't be so focused on losing more weight that you don't refuel properly.

Get something to help measure the distances you're going too. There are plenty of free apps you can get on a phone (I use the Nike running app, it's very accurate too)! There are also Nike sportbands and GPS watches, Garmin GPS watches which are really good, etc. I'd advise searching on google for a beginners marathon training program. Don't follow it exactly, but there are plenty around which give good tips on how to mix up your runs each week.

Make sure you get some good shoes too. They're an important investment and can really help with your running. I use the Adidas Boost shoes but there are plenty of good ones around. A lot of sports shops can help advise you of the type of running shoe to get (not everybody has the same running stride, and obviously the shape of your foot is unique to you).

Good luck and keep us updated!

Great info. Im 29. I have an app called couck 25k on phone and will attempt that may be 1 or 2 times until i get into a running grove and move forward. My marathon is in 11 months..so i have that time to "train".
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Ignore marathon training plans until at least 6 months out from the race. You don't want to train for a marathon a year out. I actually prefer 16 week plans, but I know some plans are more beginner based and go for 6 months. Train for the 5k and 10k first...work your way up to those distances. Once you can run a 10 mile training run (slow, easy, pace, maybe even some walking in there still), then start shopping around for the marathon plan of your choice. There are so many out there. Try the book "The Big Book of Marathon Training" (runners world). It;s also full of other great running tips besides just plans.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Make sure to take the day off work the day after the marathon. Chances are you'll be sore and may just want to sleep it off. :)
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would use these apps (I think most of them are free) in this order
    Couch to 5k
    5K forever/Couch to 10K (I switch back and forth between these)
    10K forever

I know there are more apps as you get more running experience but I couldnt run 30 seconds and now I run 10K easy.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your accomplishments so far!

I read the book Marathoning for Mortals at the start of training for my first full marathon - it was great! Down to earth, easy to understand information AND they have training plan suggestions for running, running with some walking, or walking with some running.

For your first race, the goal is to cross the finish line. Don't stress about time (it's going to be your PR!) or about finishing last (you won't). Once you make that your goal the trick to accomplishing it is to DO YOUR TRAINING. If you train well and you keep only your finish-line goal in mind, it is highly unlikely that you'll need to drop out.

Good luck, have fun, and GET RUNNING GIRL! :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I haven't run a marathon yet, but took up running in 2013 and have run a bunch of races, including 2 half-marathons.

1. You mentioned having a couchto5k program. Use that to get to 5k.
    2. After training for a 5k, run some 5k races. Learn what a race feels like.
    3. Train for the 10K distance. Run a 10K race.
    4. Train up to the half-marathon distance. This will be your first feel of what happens to your body once you start running for more than 90 minutes at a time.
    5. Train for a marathon. Look for specific plans for that distance. 26.2 miles is its own beast, so definitely give yourself time to prepare.
    6. Just confirming what others have said about getting properly fitted for shoes.

There is a long run/distance running group here on MFP. Join that to find excellent advice.

Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

Here's my tip: switch to a half.

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options

^^ This x 100000! I think it's really important to set realistic and achievable goals, that don't involve you getting injured. A half marathon in 1 year would still be a major accomplishment, and a much more doable one. Just my 2 cents.

PS I am currently training for my 3rd half (have also done a few 5k and 10Ks) and I personally do not feel ready for a full marathon yet.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.

I concur. At your current level of running fitness (almost zero), your chances of actually getting to the starting line healthy are less than fair, your chances of completing it if you do are less still and there is a 100% chance that the experience will suck.

Switch to the half. Do the C25K app. Build slowly, learn to love running. Do the half and be super proud of that accomplishment. The marathon can wait. You don't NEED to do a marathon to be an accomplished runner.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "takethemagicstep"
    It is Uta's website. She is the first woman to win the Boston 3 consecutivetimes. She is now older, sweet, and soft, and totally a great place to connect as a runner.

http://www.takethemagicstep.com/coaching/families/training-exercise/run-a-marathon-in-one-year-a-long-term-training-schedule-for-beginners/

She will take you thru a year long program for beginners - including

•acclimatizing phase,
    •building-up phase,
    •overall preparation phase, and
    •special preparation phase.

It is a wonderful website. She is gentle spirit. Tell her Todd the Ironman sent you. My swetheart Gidget is training for her first marathon and eats this website and progrzam up!

You can do the 5K to the 1/2 on your way to "your marathon" during the next year.

You cand do it!

Welcome to running

todd
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program

If you have your heart set on the full marathon look at this training schedule. It's 30 weeks long and really eases you into the whole thing. It's pretty well designed to get a non-runner ready for a marathon. I would actually give yourself 32 or 33 weeks so you can repeat a week or take a week off. When I was training for my first half marathon, I followed one of his half marathon training schedules but I needed a week off to recover from minor surgery (30 minutes local and a weekend of frozen peas in my lap). I started my training a week early so I could take that week off.

I might actually start Couch to 5K (c25k) right now. It just doesn't get your carido up to snuff it helps actually transform the rest of your body into running form. It's what I tell EVERYBODY who asks me how to get into running. I cannot recommend c25k enough. And go to a running store and get fitted for shoes, worth every penny.

As you get closer to the race, find out what they are handing out on the course and how often. On your long runs drink the same brand of sports drink (and water) and take in the same powerbar/gel/whatever they are giving out at the distances they say they'll be doing it.

I have my first marathon coming up in July. They will have water stations every 2 miles, so I have my hydration belt and I stop for a very short walk and some water/propell zero ever two miles on my weekend runs (the long ones). I am also using the margarita shot blocks because they have salt and I'm running in late july and because I absolutely hate GU and that's what they are passing out on the course. But I am using them now so I'm used to them. The important important thing is when you are leading up to the course to settle on your racing clothes and start wearing them on your long runs. Same thing with water/gatorade and anything else. You never EVER want to try something new for a race of any length, be it a 5K or a marathon. This also applies to what you eat/drink the night before and day of the race.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Ignore marathon training plans until at least 6 months out from the race. You don't want to train for a marathon a year out. I actually prefer 16 week plans, but I know some plans are more beginner based and go for 6 months. Train for the 5k and 10k first...work your way up to those distances. Once you can run a 10 mile training run (slow, easy, pace, maybe even some walking in there still), then start shopping around for the marathon plan of your choice. There are so many out there. Try the book "The Big Book of Marathon Training" (runners world). It;s also full of other great running tips besides just plans.

Yes, I realize thats a long time..but in my head "training " includes being able to run 1 mile without dying. LOL. I am not a runner, or ever have been, so Im starting from 0. I figure this year will help me get into being able to run . My first goal will be a 5 k, however long that takes, then a 10 k...My brother who has run 8 marathons gave me some tips and did mention that in February we start the 16 week plan to "TRAIN" for a marathon. Thanks for your tips, ill loook into that book.
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Best advice: good shoes and immodium
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am also training for my first full marathon in September. Add me as a friend for support if you would like.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your goal for now should be to build a base. Running several days a week.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race, some think its possible. I accept that. It is kind of crazy. Im not trying to be the best runner in the world. I dont care about time, I just want to hit under 7 hrs LOL.

I realize I have ALOT of work ahead of me, and commitment. Im 44 week out to train for this. I feel my body is capable of running this race. Ive had friends that were 300 lbs and finished a marathon, Ive seen 90 yr olds run marathons, Ive seen my brother who is on his 8th marathon and never ran a day in his life run and complete a marathon. Ive seen my 18 yr old brother complete a marathon. I AM VERY CAPABLE. I just have to learn, take advice, and be committed to training. I plan on running a 5k, a 10 k, throughout the course of the year to mentally and physically prepare me for how my body will react. When I first started a year ago working out I had just had a tumor removed from my hand (couldnt not move, grasp, lift, pull or use it) . I had a messed up ankle that would swell to the size of a baseball. I couldnt breathe at all. It was hard enough moving a 272 lb body, let alone doing it broken..but I did it.. Despite what everyone told me. So I do think the human body is capable of alot more then we give it credit for.

My body may/ may not give out during the race. I may / may not finish it, but you better believe I dont quit, even if I have to crawl to get there. Im taking things slow yet moving forward and being efficient. I will get fitted shoes. I will stretch. I will definitely meet my nutrition and sleep needs. I will ice. I will learn to love it.

Thank you all again! Alot of useful information!