Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Have you signed up for your first 5K yet?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

No but I should :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I've never run a full marathon but I've done a half marathon before. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to train. First get used to running regularly and then find a good program to train with. I trained using training tips by Jeff Galloway. Make sure to get some good running shoes to train and run the race with. Plan a regular time to do your running. I ran in the mornings before I started my regular day and that helped me stay consistent. Try to read up on running and get as much info as you can. The more you know the better. I didn't look into it as much as I should have when I ran the half marathon. Good luck on the marathon! It's going to be an amazing experience I'm sure. It was for me! I hope to run another half marathon (my second finally) later this year or next year.

Yes, thank you I def will. I purchased my shoes last week(fitted and tested). I hope it to be an amazing experience.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Now (meaning: right NOW) is a good time to start to so you can work on your dedication to the process of working your way up to training/completing a marathon. What's the holdup?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Now (meaning: right NOW) is a good time to start to so you can work on your dedication to the process of working your way up to training/completing a marathon. What's the holdup?

True story! I just dont feel like paying 65$ for a 5k..lol call me cheap but running is expensive..who woulda "thunk". Im going to look for some more today. Alot of theones around my end of C25k are 2 hrs away...non in town!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

True story! I just dont feel like paying 65$ for a 5k..lol call me cheap but running is expensive..who woulda "thunk". Im going to look for some more today. Alot of theones around my end of C25k are 2 hrs away...non in town!

Where are you looking?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're looking at "fun runs" like color runs, glow, etc.

Go to your running shop and find the bulletin board. I guarantee you can find a 5K for $20 or less.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Where are you looking?

I just googled my city/5ks and it came up with a list of 5ks...
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Sounds like you're looking at "fun runs" like color runs, glow, etc.

Go to your running shop and find the bulletin board. I guarantee you can find a 5K for $20 or less.

You may be right! Man oh man-the *kitten* to learn when you begin running. lol.......
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do C25K to get you up to running for half an hour. Then spend a couple of weeks more getting up to three miles - if you're anything like me it'll take you a little longer.

Then use this 30-week programme:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program

Don't feel you have to run all of the long runs, take regular walk breaks. If you need a formal walk/run ratio, here are Jeff Galloway's recommendations based on your mile time. Can't go wrong with these:

Run Walk Run ratio should correspond to the pace used (Runners).
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Do not run through pain. You're better off waiting until an injury is fully recovered than panicking about missing a week.

Treadmill runs are better than no run at all. Barely. Do as many training runs as you can outside. Whatever the weather. Humans are waterproof!

Check the terrain of your marathon and make sure you train on similar e.g. hilly if it's hilly, off road, urban etc.

Finally, when you get into the much longer runs don't eat back all the calories MFP gives you. There's a law of diminishing returns - you don't burn 10 times as many calories on a 20 mile run as a 2 mile run. Myself and nearly all my friends who've trained for marathons put on weight while training.

Here are some of my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, come back and keep us updated with how you're getting on :flowerforyou:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Found a 5k! :) Its called the 9/11 Heroes Run 35$ Ill get behind that one. Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:

"We run to HONOR the service of those who’ve served our nation since.

We run to ACTIVATE COMMUNITIES and EMPOWER your local veterans, first responders and survivors."
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Posting to save on my feed.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Do C25K to get you up to running for half an hour. Then spend a couple of weeks more getting up to three miles - if you're anything like me it'll take you a little longer.

Then use this 30-week programme:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program

Don't feel you have to run all of the long runs, take regular walk breaks. If you need a formal walk/run ratio, here are Jeff Galloway's recommendations based on your mile time. Can't go wrong with these:

Run Walk Run ratio should correspond to the pace used (Runners).
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Do not run through pain. You're better off waiting until an injury is fully recovered than panicking about missing a week.

Finally, when you get into the much longer runs don't eat back all the calories MFP gives you. There's a law of diminishing returns - you don't burn 10 times as many calories on a 20 mile run as a 2 mile run. Myself and nearly all my friends who've trained for marathons put on weight while training.

Here are some of my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, come back and keep us updated with how you're getting on :flowerforyou:

I am in week 4 of the C25k. I have been debating whether to do this program or the Galloway program... For me this seemed feasible for 30 weeks out. So far so good. Right now Im battling more of the elements (105+ degree weather with slight humidity), so I think thats making my runs "harder" in a sense. I really have to focus on my breathing, and the constant movement. It feels like a freaking sauna. Thanks for the tips. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4 of the C25k. I have been debating whether to do this program or the Galloway program... For me this seemed feasible for 30 weeks out. So far so good. Right now Im battling more of the elements (105+ degree weather with slight humidity), so I think thats making my runs "harder" in a sense. I really have to focus on my breathing, and the constant movement. It feels like a freaking sauna. Thanks for the tips. :)
    In my opinion, Higdon is the more achievable plan for beginners, but walk breaks are essential on long runs when you're training on a very tight timescale.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Where are you looking?

http://www.active.com/

Yeah. $25-$35 for a 5k.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    In my opinion, Higdon is the more achievable plan for beginners, but walk breaks are essential on long runs when you're training on a very tight timescale.
    That is the one I was leaning more towrds, I still have 4.5 weeks of C25k. I am registering for a 5k in September 6 and this will give me enough time to continue my C25k if I have to repeat weeks. I can begin my 30 week program which will put me at about April 6th finishing the 30 week program and stil have a month and a week until race day May 15th of "free" time to plan for injuries..and thats hoping I do not get injured severely during training.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Where are you looking?

Yeah. $25-$35 for a 5k.

Thank you!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Where are you looking?

Yeah. $25-$35 for a 5k.

Thank you!

You can also look on Runningintheusa.com When I signed up for my marathon I used it to find a half marathon that fell when my schedule said I should run one.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Where are you looking?

Yeah. $25-$35 for a 5k.

Thank you!

You can also look on Runningintheusa.com When I signed up for my marathon I used it to find a half marathon that fell when my schedule said I should run one.

Local running stores also list some on their websites.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    bump