Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    ...to have people "suggest approaches to maximise my prospect". Very well said.

To be honest I think one of your biggest issues in this thread is that you don't have the experience to differentiate good advice from bad advice. You've got some of each in this thread.

I would suggest taking other questions to the C25K forum already referred to, and the distance runners forum http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners.

What you'll get from those are discussions from people who have been there, learned the lessons and have their own strategies for working through them. Sometimes the feedback will be very candid, but in the main it's given with the best intent; helping you to get through.

I disagree. The majority of the posts have been advising me to sign up for a half instead, that the strain of my body will most likely lead to injury, it takes years to build up to being able to run this race. Ive read every post. Ive responded to most. ..and you were right I posted on this forum not to dissuade me, but for people to give me tips on running a marathon more along the lines of "buy bigger shoes" "get properly fitted" "Hydrate" "fueling is important" "Know the course".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

To be honest I think one of your biggest issues in this thread is that you don't have the experience to differentiate good advice from bad advice. You've got some of each in this thread.

I would suggest taking other questions to the C25K forum already referred to, and the distance runners forum http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners.

What you'll get from those are discussions from people who have been there, learned the lessons and have their own strategies for working through them. Sometimes the feedback will be very candid, but in the main it's given with the best intent; helping you to get through.

A number of the regular posters on LDR have already chimed in over here. I don't think that she'll get remarkably different advice.

The newbies on C25k will probably be a lot more supportive.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I disagree. The majority of the posts have been advising me to sign up for a half instead, that the strain of my body will most likely lead to injury, it takes years to build up to being able to run this race. Ive read every post. Ive responded to most. ..and you were right I posted on this forum not to dissuade me, but for people to give me tips on running a marathon more along the lines of "buy bigger shoes" "get properly fitted" "Hydrate" "fueling is important" "Know the course".

Most of the people who agreed switching to a half is the best idea still continued to give you advice (most of it very good) on how to complete the marathon.
    It is a shame you can't see that.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    In addition to or instead of walking+biking, If at all possible, you might consider a good Yoga and a good functional fitness training class/plan. You are going to need to address the leg muscles you don't typically use as a runner and figure out some good stretching poses/maneuvers to loosen up the muscles and ligaments you do use. You likely will benefit immediately from those even during c25k.

You know what I have been reading and hearing that Yoga is a great thing to doo, I will def have to try that out.

Also Pilates.

Did some yoga last night..It was def not my type of thing. Being good for the runners body, I will do it again, but it sucked...the whole time.

It'll get better. Sucking shows that you probably need it. Give it a month.

However, if it continues to relentlessly suck, find something else. There are runners who never do yoga.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    How is your distance now?

Well Im doing the Couch to 5k Program and do 2.25 miles in 30 min. After the 30 min program, I just finish off walking (to complete my hour) and usually finish 4.1-4.2 miles . This week I am starting week 3 which has me doing 2 repitions of Jogging 90 sec, walk 90 secs,Jog for 3 min, walk for 3 min for a total of 28 min.

So, how long is it taking you to complete the 4.1 to 4.2 distance?
    an hour?

That is good. I was averaging 20+ minute miles at the same point in the program.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Most of the people who agreed switching to a half is the best idea still continued to give you advice (most of it very good) on how to complete the marathon.
    It is a shame you can't see that.

I still think that pushing out the timing of the marathon is the best way of assuring that it happens. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I wish that you could see that we're trying to help you. If you would push that marathon out just six months, you'd be in a better position to not get injured. Injuries happen so quickly, and are heartbreaking. We're trying to get you to see that. I took ONE wrong step in a race the beginning of May, and have not been able to run since. Tore a tendon...in one wrong step. Now I have medical and physical therapy bills that are adding up because it doesn't want to heal on it's own. I'm still at least four weeks out from running again. It's devastating to me...I love running. I had to push back my own full marathon because it would be incredibly dumb of me to jump back into training and think I can still run a full in October. So now I'm looking at one in February. That's the other thing to consider...if you get injured you can't just jump back into training where you were. Even though I'm biking my butt off to stay in shape, I'm going to have to get back into running at a lower volume than where I left off.

No one is going to think less of you if you drop to a half, or push it back six months. We'd cheer you on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The majority of the posts have been advising me to sign up for a half instead,

I wouldn't disagree with that advice, but as you're already committed then it's moot.
    that the strain of my body will most likely lead to injury

That's very likely, hence the advice from various people about how to mitigate that risk.

There are several similar threads, and they have a predictable pattern; uncritical cheerleaders, blunt realities and constructive, if pessimistic, advice.

The question is wide open, if you ask more tailored questions in an appropriate forum then you're likely to get more specific advice and opinion. There are lots of different strategies for a marathon, so without a bit of exploration of your approach many of the responses aren't too meaningful.

When you get shin pain, for example, I can tell you now that asking a question about it here will get a very different set of responses to asking about it in LDR.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    In addition to or instead of walking+biking, If at all possible, you might consider a good Yoga and a good functional fitness training class/plan. You are going to need to address the leg muscles you don't typically use as a runner and figure out some good stretching poses/maneuvers to loosen up the muscles and ligaments you do use. You likely will benefit immediately from those even during c25k.

You know what I have been reading and hearing that Yoga is a great thing to doo, I will def have to try that out.

Also Pilates.

Did some yoga last night..It was def not my type of thing. Being good for the runners body, I will do it again, but it sucked...the whole time.

However, if it continues to relentlessly suck, find something else. There are runners who never do yoga.

Yes you are right, maybe it sucks because Im not as flexible and alot of the movements are movements my body doesnt normally do, so it just felt uncomfortable and I guess im used to being yelled at, pushed, made to go faster...this was very slow paced controled ..slow..slow...lol It was different.
  • likitisplit
    Options

A number of the regular posters on LDR have already chimed in over here. I don't think that she'll get remarkably different advice.

I've had a chance to rethink my comment.

A lot of the "negativity" on this thread has to do with the fact that it's in a main forum where it will be seen by other new runners considering something similar. We have a responsibility to provoke these lurkers to rethink their goals as well, in addition to providing insight into your situation. Every time a new post is made, it pops it to the top of the forum and everybody restates all the reasons why the goal is problematic.

If you pulled this over to LDR, it's a private group. Everybody would probably restate their general disagreement ONCE. And then get down to the "here's how to prevent chafing" and "running on a hot day" advice that you want. They wouldn't have the need to restate the problems with the original goal every single God-blessed time a new post was made.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Also Pilates.

Yes you are right, maybe it sucks because Im not as flexible and alot of the movements are movements my body doesnt normally do, so it just felt uncomfortable and I guess im used to being yelled at, pushed, made to go faster...this was very slow paced controled ..slow..slow...lol It was different.

It sounds like the mental challenge will help you even more than the physical gains.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have to say congrats for making that first step! After 3 years of running for me, and a couple of 1/2 Marathons under my belt, I decided to do my first Marathon this coming fall. 18 weeks. I know it's going to be a challenging battle ahead of me, but you go forth and do your very best, we can get there. :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Also Pilates.

It sounds like the mental challenge will help you even more than the physical gains.

I would agree with that.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I have to say congrats for making that first step! After 3 years of running for me, and a couple of 1/2 Marathons under my belt, I decided to do my first Marathon this coming fall. 18 weeks. I know it's going to be a challenging battle ahead of me, but you go forth and do your very best, we can get there. :)

85lbs down and now a marathon...GO YOU!!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    So a few words from an old guy to the OP.

I didn't do my first marathon until November 2013...at age 60.

The last real race I entered to run for time was a 10K race in 1985...that was before your were born.

I entered a 10K in April 2013, not to run it but to walk it (I ended up running most of it, just because). The real reason I entered the 10K? So, I could gain access to the Cooper River Bridge and get some fantastic pictures since the bridge is shutdown for the race. Afterward, I realized after losing so much weight and adding so much cardio capacity, that running a hal-marathon was certainly doable. But I went for the thing.

Started training in May 2013. Used a Galloway run/walk/run method and training plan.

I was part of an ad-hoc first-timer marathoner group here on MFP (last year). I was the oldest and I didn't have any issues about the periodic walking (ran 3 minutes/walked one) almost from beginning to end. Completed my first marathon in 5 hours, 10 minutes with a smile and knowing that I wasn't totally wasted. I also ended up being the fastest of the first-timers. One of them "crashed and burned" at mile 16 and endured the last 10 miles of agony. Others performed well, just slowly.

When I started out, I could run a 5K in about 34 minutes (note that it did not matter whether I ran the whole distance or ran/walked the whole distance, the times were nearly identical and just slightly slower in the run/walk technique. That meant I could run faster while running and then recover in the walk phase. That was a real surprise to me). I did that in July of 2013 and I was already up to a 12-mile "long-run" when I did that. These weren't official races, just official distances that I used to determine a benchmark

By September, I had completed training out to 20-miles on the long run and ran my next 5K race (with a STEEP uphill finish). I ran that in 28:03. HOLY COW! More than 6 minutes knocked off my 5K time in a summer! I was first in my age group. I stuck to the training and trained out to a maximum distance of 26 miles (that's Galloway's approach and he makes a reasonable argument for it).

Since running that first one, I've run two more (one in the rain in Hilton Head, SC; their inaugural marathon and the Rock 'n' Roll raleigh in April). My time for the marathon has now dropped to 4:57:09 (again doing the run/walk/run). And I haven't even pressed myself to the limit because....well, there's always another run or race on the horizon.

But I have started to press a bit on the shorter distances. My last 5K was completed in March in 25:32. And at half-marathon distance, my time has dropped down to a PR of 2:06:27.

My next marathon is this November, when I return to re-run the course from my first marathon. I have 3-half-marathons built into my training schedule this fall and one 5K.

There has been lots of good advice from what I've read. Good shoes, an absolute must. Respect the distance and the training requirements because it isn't easy. Training is not only all about getting you physically ready for this, but emotionally/psychologically ready, as well. Best recommendation: set the goal of completing the marathon (as John Bingham puts it) on the same day that you started it, hopefully within the course time limits. No time goal beyond that.

I and others can share with you what its like and our experiences. As a relatively (re)new(ed) runner, it is still pretty fresh for me and each race is a new experience. But it's also a little like explaining what "balance" feels like on a bicycle. Words don't quite do it justice and you'll have your own experiences to internalize as part of the overall experience.

Please feel free to add me to your friends list if you wish. You've taken a big step and put it out there in public to either fail or succeed. I'm pulling for your success!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

I've had a chance to rethink my comment.

A lot of the "negativity" on this thread has to do with the fact that it's in a main forum where it will be seen by other new runners considering something similar. We have a responsibility to provoke these lurkers to rethink their goals as well, in addition to providing insight into your situation. Every time a new post is made, it pops it to the top of the forum and everybody restates all the reasons why the goal is problematic.

If you pulled this over to LDR, it's a private group. Everybody would probably restate their general disagreement ONCE. And then get down to the "here's how to prevent chafing" and "running on a hot day" advice that you want. They wouldn't have the need to restate the problems with the original goal every single God-blessed time a new post was made.

I appreciate your response and I can see how newbies also probably read this forum...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    First of all, OP, let me start off by saying I admire your drive and determination. I think that your goal, while ambitious, is definitely achievable, especially with the help of an experienced marathoner. I, for one, am pulling for you. That said, I think within this crazy mess of good and bad advice, one of the wisest statement may have gotten glossed over and I wanted to point it out to you:
    Like others have said, it is posssible, if everything goes right. And I hope it does for you. But I don't think it is wise to pretend like it is as simple as just willing it to happen.

I point this out for several reasons. I have been a runner for many years. About 12 years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. As a runner, I spent most of the last twelve years living by the mantra that a strong will is more important than a strong body and it got me through a lot. Earlier this year I fell pretty ill and came to the harsh realization that sometimes having a strong will simply is not enough and that we have to respect our bodies. Although my world appeared to be crashing down all around me, I soon realized that if I ever wanted to be able to run again, I would have to learn to accept my limitations and adapt my plans accordingly. Since coming to this realization, I am much better off both physically and mentally.

I only make this point because I recognize the potential for this thread to fuel you into wanting to prove the naysayers wrong to such a degree that you might lose sight of what is ultimately the best thing for you. I think by now you realize that your goal is wildly ambitious and could potentially end up causing you some long term harm if not given the proper respect. If you find yourself in a position of potential injury during your training, please remember that nothing is worth risking your health. If you keep this in mind, I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal of completing a marathon, be it this one or another one down the road. Best of luck to you!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I personally... have never run a marathon.... (hope to someday... but I'm not there yet) but I run almost everyday and have completed 4 5K's... so just from a "runner" to a "Non-runner" advice.... get a good running app to help you with the distance... and get good music. You won't believe how having the right tempo music will keep you going. I like rockmyrun... and I use runmeter but most people on here prefer runkeeper, I think. Get OUTSIDE and run. The biggest mistake you can make is training on a treadmill indoors with no hills in the perfect temperature. Get a good running outfit (before your race) so you can make sure you're comfortable. Last but not least, take a few days off before the race where you don't run at all so you're all rested up.

For long distances: being comfortable, not being distracted, being rested are all good preparations. You won't enjoy it if you're too busy fussing with headphones that always fall out (as someone else said) or if your shorts ride up or whatever... just test everything out before the big day.

Good luck!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    First of all, OP, let me start off by saying I admire your drive and determination. I think that your goal, while ambitious, is definitely achievable, especially with the help of an experienced marathoner. I, for one, am pulling for you. That said, I think within this crazy mess of good and bad advice, one of the wisest statement may have gotten glossed over and I wanted to point it out to you:
    Like others have said, it is posssible, if everything goes right. And I hope it does for you. But I don't think it is wise to pretend like it is as simple as just willing it to happen.

I point this out for several reasons. I have been a runner for many years. About 12 years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. As a runner, I spent most of the last twelve years living by the mantra that a strong will is more important than a strong body and it got me through a lot. Earlier this year I fell pretty ill and came to the harsh realization that sometimes having a strong will simply is not enough and that we have to respect our bodies. Although my world appeared to be crashing down all around me, I soon realized that if I ever wanted to be able to run again, I would have to learn to accept my limitations and adapt my plans accordingly. Since coming to this realization, I am much better off both physically and mentally.

I only make this point because I recognize the potential for this thread to fuel you into wanting to prove the naysayers wrong to such a degree that you might lose sight of what is ultimately the best thing for you. I think by now you realize that your goal is wildly ambitious and could potentially end up causing you some long term harm if not given the proper respect. If you find yourself in a position of potential injury during your training, please remember that nothing is worth risking your health. If you keep this in mind, I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal of completing a marathon, be it this one or another one down the road. Best of luck to you!

Im sorry for your hardships...and I also agree with you..that WILL will only get me so far. I have to have the physical capability as well...and although this Marathon is important to me...more important to me is being healthy and physically able. Ive mentioned a few times that if something happens that I cannot run it, I will not...and in this process this is why Im trying to learn EVERYTHING I can and try to apply good technique. I luckily do have a marathoner by my side who helps guide me and will run with me.

Thanks again for your support :):flowerforyou: