Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.
    You may or may not finish. If you don't, don't get stuck out there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good tip :) My fam will be out there and my brother is running it too.

don't have a backup plan...plan to train for a half, then six months out train for the whole...you'll do it. Even if you walk the second half, you can complete your distance! Be confident! Completing is your main goal on the first try. I can't wait to read about your 8th marathon completed in under 4hrs in two years' time! :flowerforyou:
    Always have a back up plan. You may not have to use it, but it's there if something should happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Some people you just can't reach.

She can't run 30 seconds now but is somehow convinced that her body will adapt to the point where it can handle 26.2 miles in less than a year ... that she'll enjoy the activity enough to endure the hours of training necessary to reach that goal ... and that she'll have no hiccups in the plan along the way. Her approach is all or nothing. Succeed or fail. That line of thought leaves no room for only making significant progress towards a life goal if something happens and she doesn't finish the marathon as planned.

The thing that makes me sad is that there are so many surprises and victories as you move through the process of "Starting to run." to "I've been running." to "I'm an (eek) runner." to "I'm a runner and you are too." to "How can I even call myself a runner if I'm not doing 20 miles a week?"

I'd worry that the glory of the first day and the first 5 minutes and the first 10 minutes and the first 5k and the first 10k and the first 7,8,9,10,11 miles are all going to get swallowed up in the "am I progressing enough to do 26.2 in a year?" And that's NOT the mindset that's going to keep you motivated and uninjured through C25k, let alone those lonely long-run miles.

I have had terrible MONTHS. I've had WEEKS of no progress or when I've moved backward. And then the magic day when all of it falls off and I'm better than ever. For a run. And then two runs. And then a week of runs.

What keeps me going is knowing that I don't need to be another runner than the one that I am...and if you asked me whether I was capable of running two years ago, I probably would have started crying because you were making fun of me. I hadn't been able to run for more than 15 seconds in my life, and how would I be able to at my fattest? Contrasting that person with the runner I am today always gives me chills.

There is a contrast between you and the OP. You recognize that there were bad weeks and months ... she isn't even allowing for that possibility. Some people fall in love with running ... some do it when it is far from their favorite activity ... others believe it completely sucks and would rather undergo anesthetic free colonoscopies on a daily basis then run another step in their life. The OP has no clue what part of that spectrum she falls in.

This is awesome, if you let people rant, they will rant. lol. The spectrum I fall in, is Im going to finish this race. Thats it. lol. . Carry on ranting :) It fuels my fire.

Nobody is ranting. Those of us with experience running are making informed comments.
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options

While I think Hal Higdon's programs have a lot going for them - I had heard one criticism of them - which I didn't believe - until I had it happen to me. Higdon's training plans take you up TO "the wall" but not THROUGH "the wall" - which killed me about mile 20 and moved my pace from sub-9:00 to 10:15. for the race.

MY ADVICE: Whatever training plan you do - force your body to go 26.2 at least ONCE before the day of the event. You need to know what you're body is going to do at/past Mile 20.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking at the big hurdle as being the marathon. That is the WRONG way to look at it. The race is the easy part.

I trained for a half through last winter. Let's just say that training through the winter was brutal. Running long runs with temp highs of -2F. My sweat would freeze to me. It was miserable.

It was lonely. I'd be out there for hours. It hurt. There were days that I just hated it.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of doing this. There was one run that I had fueled incorrectly. I started puking 4 miles from my car. I still had to run back to my car.

There was a run where I sat on the side of the road and bawled my eyes out. My soul felt crushed. I didn't think I could do it anymore.

Periods? I hope you're prepared to run right through them. Just cross your fingers your cramps don't hit on the day you need to go 15 miles.

Was my race worth it? Gosh yes. YES YES YES. In fact I've run several halfs now. But look at the demons I had to fight, and that's not even a full marathon.

I'm just trying to make you see the whole picture. I'd hate to see a budding runner lose their love for it because of a terrible experience.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Here's my tip: switch to a half.

^^ This x 100000! I think it's really important to set realistic and achievable goals, that don't involve you getting injured. A half marathon in 1 year would still be a major accomplishment, and a much more doable one. Just my 2 cents.

PS I am currently training for my 3rd half (have also done a few 5k and 10Ks) and I personally do not feel ready for a full marathon yet.

As another runner with similar experience,, 5 half's so far,, I'm also voting for the half option versus a full maraton. & this only after you've run some 5 & 10K races while improving your conditioning & endurance..
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking at the big hurdle as being the marathon. That is the WRONG way to look at it. The race is the easy part.

I trained for a half through last winter. Let's just say that training through the winter was brutal. Running long runs with temp highs of -2F. My sweat would freeze to me. It was miserable.

It was lonely. I'd be out there for hours. It hurt. There were days that I just hated it.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of doing this. There was one run that I had fueled incorrectly. I started puking 4 miles from my car. I still had to run back to my car.

There was a run where I sat on the side of the road and bawled my eyes out. My soul felt crushed. I didn't think I could do it anymore.

Periods? I hope you're prepared to run right through them. Just cross your fingers your cramps don't hit on the day you need to go 15 miles.

Was my race worth it? Gosh yes. YES YES YES. In fact I've run several halfs now. But look at the demons I had to fight, and that's not even a full marathon.

I'm just trying to make you see the whole picture. I'd hate to see a budding runner lose their love for it because of a terrible experience.

God. This. I had a little pity party for myself 2.5 miles into a 10k trail run last weekend.

The race is a culmination of all of the miles and hours of training. It's like the commencement ceremony in college.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ... almost 2% of your available training time elapsed since starting this thread. What have you done?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    OP ... almost 2% of your available training time elapsed since starting this thread. What have you done?

I started to c25k program, am on week 2. Averaging 4.25 miles 4x a week.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Thank you. I understand what you are saying. I know its going to be a long year for me, and ALOT of challenges especially being a rookie. I know I will hurt, I will (hopefully ) not got injured too bad, and fight those demons. This is just a challenge to myself. I am doing it for health, for knowledge, to push my body to do something a year ago I thought Id never be capable of. Im not going for the fastest time. My goal is to finish.

Thanks again for being honest, I can appreciate that.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

While I think Hal Higdon's programs have a lot going for them - I had heard one criticism of them - which I didn't believe - until I had it happen to me. Higdon's training plans take you up TO "the wall" but not THROUGH "the wall" - which killed me about mile 20 and moved my pace from sub-9:00 to 10:15. for the race.

MY ADVICE: Whatever training plan you do - force your body to go 26.2 at least ONCE before the day of the event. You need to know what you're body is going to do at/past Mile 20.

I was curious about this, thanks for the tip
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.
    You may or may not finish. If you don't, don't get stuck out there.

IDEA Fitness member

Good tip :) My fam will be out there and my brother is running it too.

don't have a backup plan...plan to train for a half, then six months out train for the whole...you'll do it. Even if you walk the second half, you can complete your distance! Be confident! Completing is your main goal on the first try. I can't wait to read about your 8th marathon completed in under 4hrs in two years' time! :flowerforyou:
    Always have a back up plan. You may not have to use it, but it's there if something should happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Some people you just can't reach.

She can't run 30 seconds now but is somehow convinced that her body will adapt to the point where it can handle 26.2 miles in less than a year ... that she'll enjoy the activity enough to endure the hours of training necessary to reach that goal ... and that she'll have no hiccups in the plan along the way. Her approach is all or nothing. Succeed or fail. That line of thought leaves no room for only making significant progress towards a life goal if something happens and she doesn't finish the marathon as planned.

The thing that makes me sad is that there are so many surprises and victories as you move through the process of "Starting to run." to "I've been running." to "I'm an (eek) runner." to "I'm a runner and you are too." to "How can I even call myself a runner if I'm not doing 20 miles a week?"

I'd worry that the glory of the first day and the first 5 minutes and the first 10 minutes and the first 5k and the first 10k and the first 7,8,9,10,11 miles are all going to get swallowed up in the "am I progressing enough to do 26.2 in a year?" And that's NOT the mindset that's going to keep you motivated and uninjured through C25k, let alone those lonely long-run miles.

I have had terrible MONTHS. I've had WEEKS of no progress or when I've moved backward. And then the magic day when all of it falls off and I'm better than ever. For a run. And then two runs. And then a week of runs.

What keeps me going is knowing that I don't need to be another runner than the one that I am...and if you asked me whether I was capable of running two years ago, I probably would have started crying because you were making fun of me. I hadn't been able to run for more than 15 seconds in my life, and how would I be able to at my fattest? Contrasting that person with the runner I am today always gives me chills.

There is a contrast between you and the OP. You recognize that there were bad weeks and months ... she isn't even allowing for that possibility. Some people fall in love with running ... some do it when it is far from their favorite activity ... others believe it completely sucks and would rather undergo anesthetic free colonoscopies on a daily basis then run another step in their life. The OP has no clue what part of that spectrum she falls in.

This is awesome, if you let people rant, they will rant. lol. The spectrum I fall in, is Im going to finish this race. Thats it. lol. . Carry on ranting :) It fuels my fire.

I hope it gets you through the longer runs.

A tip on C25k: slow down. Your running pace should be very close to your walking pace otherwise you will have a hard time in weeks 3/4 and won't be able to finish week 5.

I will def do that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Make sure you take a rest day between every run. Remember that you build fitness during recovery, not during the workout.

(That being said, I ran when I could so sometimes I'd do it back-to-back, but never more than twice in a row and never ran more than three days one week and four days the next).

ETA: if you haven't joined already, I would strongly recommend this group -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The vast majority of runners would disagree with running the whole 26.2 before the race, especially for a first time runner. The amount of recovery required and the toll it takes makes it simply not worth it.
    I would strongly advise against doing the full distance in training.

How are you doing 4.25 miles on week 2?
  • laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm doing a marathon October 19th and would love to read through all this :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Your c25k program must be *very* different than the one I did last year. I don't think I *ever* exceeded 4 miles at any time during the entire program...and certainly not in week 2.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Make sure you take a rest day between every run. Remember that you build fitness during recovery, not during the workout.

(That being said, I ran when I could so sometimes I'd do it back-to-back, but never more than twice in a row and never ran more than three days one week and four days the next).

ETA: if you haven't joined already, I would strongly recommend this group -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Yes thank you. Ive failed to mention that. I run one day, the next day is my "break" day in which I do some biking, or walking or some strength training (core work).
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Your c25k program must be *very* different than the one I did last year. I don't think I *ever* exceeded 4 miles at any time during the entire program...and certainly not in week 2.

Well Im following the program it tells me when to stop running and when to start walking. I assume everyone runs differently according to speed? Thus far I have done week 1 indoors (gym) and will move to outside here shortly. Its over 107 degrees some days so i dont get up early enough (4 am) to beat the heat.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

The vast majority of runners would disagree with running the whole 26.2 before the race, especially for a first time runner. The amount of recovery required and the toll it takes makes it simply not worth it.
    I would strongly advise against doing the full distance in training.

How are you doing 4.25 miles on week 2?

Not understanding your question?

I have a while to build up to that point, so Im taking in all the info given to me in regards to the marathon. I have been working closely with someone who has ran many and is giving me all the info from the mistakes he did on his first time run.

I hope to bring an update a year from now on this forum!:)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

NO NO NO! The amount of time you will need to recover from a 26.2 miles ''long run'' is not worth it.
    You shouldn't even run for longer than 3 hours in training, even if that means only running 16 miles for you depending of your speed. After 3 hours on your feet, the amount of muscle and tendon damage and the time needed to recover from it is not worth the extra mileage. If you need to actually run 26 miles to ''feel ready' for the big day, you are NOT ****ing ready to run a marathon. If you are ready to do it in training, you are ready to do it in a race setting. End of story.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Well Im following the program it tells me when to stop running and when to start walking. I assume everyone runs differently according to speed? Thus far I have done week 1 indoors (gym) and will move to outside here shortly. Its over 107 degrees some days so i dont get up early enough (4 am) to beat the heat.

Of course everyone runs at a different speed. I'm just saying that as a 8:00-10:00/mile (in training) pace guy, I don't think I ever exceeded 4 miles during the entire c25k program. I mean, the entire purpose of that program is to prepare you to be able to run 3.1 miles...so it makes no sense to me that it would have you running 33% farther than that in the second week of the 10-12(?) week program.

TL;DR - Congratulations on completing the c25k program...in your second week.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Of course everyone runs at a different speed. I'm just saying that as a 8:00-10:00/mile (in training) pace guy, I don't think I ever exceeded 4 miles during the entire c25k program. I mean, the entire purpose of that program is to prepare you to be able to run 3.1 miles...so it makes no sense to me that it would have you running 33% farther than that in the second week of the 10-12(?) week program.

TL;DR - Congratulations on completing the c25k program...in your second week.

lmao! I was wondering the same thing... She doesn't waste time, apparently!