Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015.
    Is there another kind of marathon? When you say "marathon" then you mean 26.2 miles. There's a half marathon but if you don't say so then it's assumed you meant 26.2.
    I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.
    What's your mileage this month?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ummmm.....whoops?

well.....that's embarrassing
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    apparently even the randoms have picked up on REA's *kitten* factor. person has less than 300 posts in 3 years but drops the bolded comment at the bottom
    This thread makes me sad. If you want something, go get it. Period. Life is a learning process. If you fall on your face, who cares? People are so afraid of failure that they aren't willing to take risks. I commend your couagous decision to venture into the sport of distance running. As you can tell, it's a VERY bold move. I, for one, love you for it.

I started smoking at age 16. Running helped me quit.
    I ran my first marathon 13 months ago, I have ran 6 more marathons taking my time from 4:09 down to 3:27.. I've BQed twice. I've also completed an ultra marathon 31.5 miles ~9:10 pace (second female overall).

Lots of people think I'm crazy/don't agree with my training.

People tried to scare me out of running my first marathon too, and I listened. I should have just done it when I wanted to.

You'll be totally fine

+1

I may be on North Pole to Victoria's South Pole but I'm with her one this one.
    Alright Victoria!!!
    Yeah shes awesome!

As a runner yes. I'll not comment about anything other than her running skills.

Really appreciate your average of 1 post an hour the past 28*** months. Good thing you're here keeping the forums in line.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Wait a minute..
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Eat small but sensible portions before a run, no worse feeling then getting defeated by runners trots :(

I can imagine, and I do wworry about this. lol

A corollary: do NOTHING different on race day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Eat small but sensible portions before a run, no worse feeling then getting defeated by runners trots :(

Except the running 26.2 part. That's different and that's okay. Just sayin'.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Someone is playing roulette on the injury table.

roulette-wheel-o.gif
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015.
    Is there another kind of marathon? When you say "marathon" then you mean 26.2 miles. There's a half marathon but if you don't say so then it's assumed you meant 26.2.
    I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.
    What's your mileage this month?

Ok EXCUSE me but im running a FULL marathon. lol....so did that suffice? ..and if according to my post, it is only my second week, and I logged in 14 miles last week. Thanks for commenting *winks*
  • Chimis_Siq

roulette-wheel-o.gif

Maybe I shouldnt walk across the street, because I may get hit by a car. :)
  • Chimis_Siq

:drinker:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Wait a minute..
    why..what happened?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

roulette-wheel-o.gif

Maybe I shouldnt walk across the street, because I may get hit by a car. :)

IDK, but I think there's a difference between walking across the street and laying down in the middle of the road and refusing to move if a car comes by. Just saying.
  • likitisplit

Well, yeah. I'm also hoping that she'll find room for a 5k and 10k in there between now and next year. :wink:
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    You have a lot of time, build up a good base of running. Not so much long distance this far out, but get used to running 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Because once you get into the heart of a training plan you are going to have to be running a good 20 miles a week probably (at its peak) and that is a lot easier if your body is used to running at least half that.

There are a lot more rules to training for a marathon than I would of thought. I had done more 5ks and 10ks before my marathon (I did do a half or two as well) and made the mistake of thinking all the miles were interchangeable. Running a 10 mile long run and 3 5 mile runs during the week is not the same as running 20 mile long run and one 5 mile run during the week. Try to stick to whatever plan you are following pretty closely since you (like me at the time) likely will not know what you are doing training wise. There is a reason for the distribution of miles and the spacing of rest days, etc.

Figure out what works and doesn't for you far out and then use that to be on your best at rest day. This is flexible. Some people will swear by a certain kind of gear, or food, or supplement, but it is what works for you.

Good thing is you have a lot of time, and it's a great goal. Train smart and you'll accomplish something awesome!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Bump
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Oh, I'm wanting to "try" this too (I say try because I want to work up to a half marathon in a year).

I am starting with the Iron Girl Couch to 5k program. Then I'll do the 10k one, followed by the half marathon one. After that, it's working on increased long distance speed (not sprinting but just being able to do the same distance in less time).

I'll probably work some HIIT training in there too like hill running.

That's my plan. If you start now and STAY DEDICATED I think you've got a shot! Good luck!

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102880907823-215/Athleta-Iron-Girl-Training-Guide_20120229.pdf
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Sorry, forgot to say...

Just remember to average a bit more than a minimum of a 14 minute mile. Otherwise you could get cut off and not be allowed to finish. Check the cut off speed of you local marathon so that you know for sure you can keep going faster than that with running/walking combined.

Also, I know somebody who really likes the apps on their phone that read them their pace every 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or whenever they want. It helps you know if you're keeping up with your plan for the length of the race. I could see this being useful for you! And I hear you about exercising in the heat... but I just switched from treadmill to outdoors (for the opposite reason since winter continued right into June here) and I can definitely say running outside is more of a workout. My lungs were more stressed than they were on the treadmill. You probably know this too though. You seem like you're putting your research into it and that you have a good training buddy.
  • likitisplit
    Oh, I'm wanting to "try" this too (I say try because I want to work up to a half marathon in a year).

I am starting with the Iron Girl Couch to 5k program. Then I'll do the 10k one, followed by the half marathon one. After that, it's working on increased long distance speed (not sprinting but just being able to do the same distance in less time).

I'll probably work some HIIT training in there too like hill running.

That's my plan. If you start now and STAY DEDICATED I think you've got a shot! Good luck!

A half marathon is totally doable in a year. It's a great challenge - it's hard enough to keep you motivated, but you don't have to dedicate your entire life to it.

Join this group for encouragement and advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • likitisplit
    You have a lot of time, build up a good base of running. Not so much long distance this far out, but get used to running 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Because once you get into the heart of a training plan you are going to have to be running a good 20 miles a week probably (at its peak) and that is a lot easier if your body is used to running at least half that.

There are a lot more rules to training for a marathon than I would of thought. I had done more 5ks and 10ks before my marathon (I did do a half or two as well) and made the mistake of thinking all the miles were interchangeable. Running a 10 mile long run and 3 5 mile runs during the week is not the same as running 20 mile long run and one 5 mile run during the week. Try to stick to whatever plan you are following pretty closely since you (like me at the time) likely will not know what you are doing training wise. There is a reason for the distribution of miles and the spacing of rest days, etc.

Figure out what works and doesn't for you far out and then use that to be on your best at rest day. This is flexible. Some people will swear by a certain kind of gear, or food, or supplement, but it is what works for you.

Good thing is you have a lot of time, and it's a great goal. Train smart and you'll accomplish something awesome!

http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html

I thought this was a good intro some of the reasoning that goes into a plan. I wouldn't use it to develop a plan, but I love the way he takes you through the though process and considerations.