Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• giantsbsbl
    giantsbsbl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did like you... and made a commitment, albeit probably the craziest thing I did at the time, to run a marathon. Training is very important. I did an event through Team in training... raising money for cancer research, having teammates and coaches. Like you, I was not a runner. I invested in shoes and equipment.

Biggest thing that helped me, was using a run/walk strategy. When I started, I couldn't run more than 30 sec to a minute. Start there. Do 1 minute run then 1 minute walk. Keep training and work your way up the ladder. Keep adding to the time you run while keeping your walk to 1 min. It helped me.

Also, race day for me was a crap shoot. Trained in winter, and got very summer like conditions race day. I baked. However, I never stopped moving. If you are determined to cross the finish line... keep that mantra in mind. I told myself that I would drag myself on my belly to cross the finish line if I had to... yes a bit extreme, but I did cross the finish line. Just keep moving and doing what you can do. Training is important and don't skip it.

Hang in there! You can do it!
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    O.B.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did like you... and made a commitment, albeit probably the craziest thing I did at the time, to run a marathon. Training is very important. I did an event through Team in training... raising money for cancer research, having teammates and coaches. Like you, I was not a runner. I invested in shoes and equipment.

Biggest thing that helped me, was using a run/walk strategy. When I started, I couldn't run more than 30 sec to a minute. Start there. Do 1 minute run then 1 minute walk. Keep training and work your way up the ladder. Keep adding to the time you run while keeping your walk to 1 min. It helped me.

Also, race day for me was a crap shoot. Trained in winter, and got very summer like conditions race day. I baked. However, I never stopped moving. If you are determined to cross the finish line... keep that mantra in mind. I told myself that I would drag myself on my belly to cross the finish line if I had to... yes a bit extreme, but I did cross the finish line. Just keep moving and doing what you can do. Training is important and don't skip it.

Team in Training is a very, very good idea.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat small but sensible portions before a run, no worse feeling then getting defeated by runners trots :(

I can imagine, and I do wworry about this. lol

A corollary: do NOTHING different on race day.

Except the running 26.2 part. That's different and that's okay. Just sayin'.

Well, yeah. I'm also hoping that she'll find room for a 5k and 10k in there between now and next year. :wink:
    yes ma'am I plan on it :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    You have a lot of time, build up a good base of running. Not so much long distance this far out, but get used to running 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Because once you get into the heart of a training plan you are going to have to be running a good 20 miles a week probably (at its peak) and that is a lot easier if your body is used to running at least half that.

There are a lot more rules to training for a marathon than I would of thought. I had done more 5ks and 10ks before my marathon (I did do a half or two as well) and made the mistake of thinking all the miles were interchangeable. Running a 10 mile long run and 3 5 mile runs during the week is not the same as running 20 mile long run and one 5 mile run during the week. Try to stick to whatever plan you are following pretty closely since you (like me at the time) likely will not know what you are doing training wise. There is a reason for the distribution of miles and the spacing of rest days, etc.

Figure out what works and doesn't for you far out and then use that to be on your best at rest day. This is flexible. Some people will swear by a certain kind of gear, or food, or supplement, but it is what works for you.

Good thing is you have a lot of time, and it's a great goal. Train smart and you'll accomplish something awesome!

Thank you friend for inspiring more hope in my decision! :) I will def train smart and thank you for the flexibility advice. Life is good!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Will check this out:)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to say...

Just remember to average a bit more than a minimum of a 14 minute mile. Otherwise you could get cut off and not be allowed to finish. Check the cut off speed of you local marathon so that you know for sure you can keep going faster than that with running/walking combined.

Also, I know somebody who really likes the apps on their phone that read them their pace every 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or whenever they want. It helps you know if you're keeping up with your plan for the length of the race. I could see this being useful for you! And I hear you about exercising in the heat... but I just switched from treadmill to outdoors (for the opposite reason since winter continued right into June here) and I can definitely say running outside is more of a workout. My lungs were more stressed than they were on the treadmill. You probably know this too though. You seem like you're putting your research into it and that you have a good training buddy.
    Thank you doll! I have a gps watch to help me track my pace. I do plan on getting under 14 min mile. I have a cut off time of 7 hrs for the race. I am trying to build stamina right now rather than speed. I have a few months to build up to the "before " I train for a marathon and it gets super intense. I am writing everything down, doing a running program to start me on "running" , will get some nicely fitted shoes this week and have read alot of runners magazines. lol.......Im trying to be very informed. Although this decision seemed to be spontaneous and half-assed (maybe it was) I know how much of a rookie at this even I am, and will learn everything I will have to to give me the tools to finish. My partner in crime has run many marathons now and will guide me. He is tough and honest and I can appreciate that. :) Thanks again.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

You are awesome. I have the same mantra-if I have to pick up my broken leg and drag it across the line I will, I did not sacrifice, time, pain and my body to not finish. lol.......

This is what Im doing now, with the program Couch to 5k. It seems to be very feasible for me right now. Im doing good so far :) Thanks again.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Eat small but sensible portions before a run, no worse feeling then getting defeated by runners trots :(

Well, yeah. I'm also hoping that she'll find room for a 5k and 10k in there between now and next year. :wink:

Why would she even consider the possibility of doing that?!?

GO BIG OR GO HOME!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

How has your running progressed since this first marathon? Are you currently training for a future race? What's next?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Your sarcasm is humorous..and old :)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

I completely agree...

...with half of your statement.

"Soldiers, when committed to a task, can't compromise. It's unrelenting devotion to the standards of duty and courage, absolute loyalty to others, not letting the task go until it's been done."

-- John Keegan
  • likitisplit
    Options

You are awesome. I have the same mantra-if I have to pick up my broken leg and drag it across the line I will, I did not sacrifice, time, pain and my body to not finish. lol.......

This is what Im doing now, with the program Couch to 5k. It seems to be very feasible for me right now. Im doing good so far :) Thanks again.

One of my friends had that mantra when we were doing C25k. Now that we've both done a half-marathon, she wishes she had relaxed a bit and let her body adapt to the changes. I wish that I'd done what she did and ramp up the miles before focusing on anything else during my first year. Live and learn.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Does sarcasm have an age?
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB! Marathons are extremely rewarding. I saw a lot of advice on shoes and build up for the marathon, so I'll leave that alone. I have a few nuggets of advice for you:

1. If you develop shin splints, knee pains, foot pains - ANYTHING. I recommend messing with your gait. There's a huge debate about the merits of this, and I won't get into that (though I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions :)). However, humans were built to run, so if what you're doing hurts try something new! It sounds obvious, but because of the shoes we wear, nearly everyone lands on their heels. If that doesn't hurt, keep it up! If you get shin splints, try switching it up and run on your toes (forefoot strike) or land flat footed (mid-foot strike). I had hip, knee, adn shin pain (that I never got checked by a doc because I'm stubborn) when I was a heel striker. I switched to a forefoot strike, and the pain never came back. Overnight. So anyway, to avoid running injuries, stop what you're doing and try a different gait - this will likely feel really weird, but give it at least 5 min before you write it off.

2. Be very careful about your food intake. I GAINED WEIGHT every time I did a marathon because it seriously messed with my appetite. They day I did a long run, I wouldn't want to eat, then I'd feel like I was starving for the next 3 days. I didn't watch my calories enough to know how much I was eating, so I gained 5-15 lb. Keep track of your intake on MFP during your training, and that should help you!

3. Don't be afraid to walk. I never trained right for a marathon (don't recommend this to anyone!), and I've always finished by walking the last 10 miles or so. I just finished a marathon in antarctica using that method, and it was highly successful!

4. Halhigdon.com has excellent novice trianing programs for all levels of training. Stick to that, and you'll succeed!

Bonus info: when I trained for my first marathon I was getting to a point where I needed to sleep 12 hours a night and I was still tired in the morning. I did some research, and they recommended changing my diet. If you only put regular gas in a sports car it ruins the engine, right? Same idea with your body. You're probably already working that angle, so you may not have this problem. What I discovered is that, the more high carb GREEN VEGGIES and whole grains I ate, the faster I recovered. Fruit was already part of my daily diet, so increasing that didn't do much, but a combination of quinoa, brown rice, broccoli, zuccini, etc really helped out. I also went a little nuts and made my own energy drinks, snacks, and race foods that were largely based on dates because they have dang near the perfect balance of simple and complex carbs you want during a run. But that's me.

I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO! The amount of time you will need to recover from a 26.2 miles ''long run'' is not worth it.
    You shouldn't even run for longer than 3 hours in training, even if that means only running 16 miles for you depending of your speed. After 3 hours on your feet, the amount of muscle and tendon damage and the time needed to recover from it is not worth the extra mileage. If you need to actually run 26 miles to ''feel ready' for the big day, you are NOT ****ing ready to run a marathon. If you are ready to do it in training, you are ready to do it in a race setting. End of story.

Okay - I'm willing to be wrong here - but with a year to prepare are you really suggesting that this person NOT cover 26.2 in a single session at least once in the next 12 months? I really just don't understand why. Is the recovery time from a 26.2 mile run really that much more than a 20? I haven't noticed a difference. I HAVE noticed a difference between a race and a training run - typically because the adrenaline and running with packs of other runners pushes me to do more faster. But so much of running a marathon is psychological and physical. I don't practice 85 percent of the speech I need to give in front of 17,000 people. I practice 100% of it. I want to know that I can do it all, and do it right. And on the mental side - never having run that far before leaves that whole "can I really do this" question in your head - if you've already done it , that goes away and you now just say "now well can I do this."

But - I've only got 2 marathons under my belt and they weren't great. Which is why I lost another 35 pounds and am now training like crazy for my next one later this fall. And FYI: I will run 26.2 6 weeks before my marathon.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

#Couch2Marathon
  • likitisplit
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

#Couch2Marathon

God, remember that guy last year who was going Couch to Ultra in 12 weeks by running on trails and taking aspirin?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    NO NO NO! The amount of time you will need to recover from a 26.2 miles ''long run'' is not worth it.
    You shouldn't even run for longer than 3 hours in training, even if that means only running 16 miles for you depending of your speed. After 3 hours on your feet, the amount of muscle and tendon damage and the time needed to recover from it is not worth the extra mileage. If you need to actually run 26 miles to ''feel ready' for the big day, you are NOT ****ing ready to run a marathon. If you are ready to do it in training, you are ready to do it in a race setting. End of story.

Okay - I'm willing to be wrong here - but with a year to prepare are you really suggesting that this person NOT cover 26.2 in a single session at least once in the next 12 months? I really just don't understand why. Is the recovery time from a 26.2 mile run really that much more than a 20? I haven't noticed a difference. I HAVE noticed a difference between a race and a training run - typically because the adrenaline and running with packs of other runners pushes me to do more faster. But so much of running a marathon is psychological and physical. I don't practice 85 percent of the speech I need to give in front of 17,000 people. I practice 100% of it. I want to know that I can do it all, and do it right. And on the mental side - never having run that far before leaves that whole "can I really do this" question in your head - if you've already done it , that goes away and you now just say "now well can I do this."

But - I've only got 2 marathons under my belt and they weren't great. Which is why I lost another 35 pounds and am now training like crazy for my next one later this fall. And FYI: I will run 26.2 6 weeks before my marathon.

There's just not time for her to build up to 26.2, rest and still be in shape for her goal marathon.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

#Couch2Marathon

God, remember that guy last year who was going Couch to Ultra in 12 weeks by running on trails and taking aspirin?

I think I bumped that thread a month or two ago hoping for an update.

edit: accidentally dropped a "d" at the end of my sentence. I picked it up just now because I might need it in a later post.