Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    OP ... almost 2% of your available training time elapsed since starting this thread. What have you done?

I started to c25k program, am on week 2. Averaging 4.25 miles 4x a week.

Your c25k program must be *very* different than the one I did last year. I don't think I *ever* exceeded 4 miles at any time during the entire program...and certainly not in week 2.

Well Im following the program it tells me when to stop running and when to start walking. I assume everyone runs differently according to speed? Thus far I have done week 1 indoors (gym) and will move to outside here shortly. Its over 107 degrees some days so i dont get up early enough (4 am) to beat the heat.

Of course everyone runs at a different speed. I'm just saying that as a 8:00-10:00/mile (in training) pace guy, I don't think I ever exceeded 4 miles during the entire c25k program. I mean, the entire purpose of that program is to prepare you to be able to run 3.1 miles...so it makes no sense to me that it would have you running 33% farther than that in the second week of the 10-12(?) week program.

TL;DR - Congratulations on completing the c25k program...in your second week.

Looking at the second week of C25K, her runs are only 20 mins long. So she's running a 4:42 mile. :indifferent:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Good luck and just start putting some miles in. Started running last fall and have grown to love it. Entered my first race a half marathon and it wasn't too difficult. At that point I was running 4 miles on MWF, 6 miles on TT and 10 miles on Sunday so I was ready. Just started looking into a full for the fall but now my ankle is acting up so I may need to re-think.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

While I think Hal Higdon's programs have a lot going for them - I had heard one criticism of them - which I didn't believe - until I had it happen to me. Higdon's training plans take you up TO "the wall" but not THROUGH "the wall" - which killed me about mile 20 and moved my pace from sub-9:00 to 10:15. for the race.

MY ADVICE: Whatever training plan you do - force your body to go 26.2 at least ONCE before the day of the event. You need to know what you're body is going to do at/past Mile 20.

NO NO NO! The amount of time you will need to recover from a 26.2 miles ''long run'' is not worth it.
    You shouldn't even run for longer than 3 hours in training, even if that means only running 16 miles for you depending of your speed. After 3 hours on your feet, the amount of muscle and tendon damage and the time needed to recover from it is not worth the extra mileage. If you need to actually run 26 miles to ''feel ready' for the big day, you are NOT ****ing ready to run a marathon. If you are ready to do it in training, you are ready to do it in a race setting. End of story.

I'm going to partially disagree. At a certain point, the mileage is more mental than physical. I wanted to know that I could do the whole 26.2 and get it done in a reasonable amount of time. So I gave it the ol' college try 3 months before the race. I had plenty of recovery time, and I wasn't stressed wondering if I could do it.

The only drawback was: when I crossed the finish line on race day, as awesome as it was, I still had a bit of the "been there done that" emotion going on. That being said, I'm glad I was able to finish my training and enjoy the race weekend with a clear head.

Hey OP... I went from not running to doing a "practice" marathon in 6 months, and an actual race 3 months later. Nothing to it (well, except for lots of hard work, lots of shoes, possible frostbite, misery, etc)... but it is all worth it.

My only real advice is: make sure you have a mental diversion the day before your race. I couldn't relax, so I drank probably too much beer, and then closed out the night at Jack in the Box. There weren't lots of people behind me, but I feel sorry for the ones that were.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP ... almost 2% of your available training time elapsed since starting this thread. What have you done?

Your c25k program must be *very* different than the one I did last year. I don't think I *ever* exceeded 4 miles at any time during the entire program...and certainly not in week 2.

Well Im following the program it tells me when to stop running and when to start walking. I assume everyone runs differently according to speed? Thus far I have done week 1 indoors (gym) and will move to outside here shortly. Its over 107 degrees some days so i dont get up early enough (4 am) to beat the heat.

Of course everyone runs at a different speed. I'm just saying that as a 8:00-10:00/mile (in training) pace guy, I don't think I ever exceeded 4 miles during the entire c25k program. I mean, the entire purpose of that program is to prepare you to be able to run 3.1 miles...so it makes no sense to me that it would have you running 33% farther than that in the second week of the 10-12(?) week program.

Looking at the second week of C25K, her runs are only 20 mins long. So she's running a 4:42 mile. :indifferent:

In that case...

OP, please reconsider your plans to run a marathon and instead start entering 5ks (and maybe 10ks)...

...and not just winning...

...but dominating...

...and not just the womens'...

...and not just your age bracket...

...but overall.

Enjoy your prize money and accolades. I'll look for an article on your sudden emergence and immediate domination of the sport in an upcoming issue of Runner's World magazine (and every other running-related publication).

Sorry. I'm probably just jealous that you run a 5k in *half* the time it takes me to finish. :grumble:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

That's faster than the WR pace for the women's 5k .... sorry if I don't believe it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

While I think Hal Higdon's programs have a lot going for them - I had heard one criticism of them - which I didn't believe - until I had it happen to me. Higdon's training plans take you up TO "the wall" but not THROUGH "the wall" - which killed me about mile 20 and moved my pace from sub-9:00 to 10:15. for the race.

MY ADVICE: Whatever training plan you do - force your body to go 26.2 at least ONCE before the day of the event. You need to know what you're body is going to do at/past Mile 20.

NO NO NO! The amount of time you will need to recover from a 26.2 miles ''long run'' is not worth it.
    You shouldn't even run for longer than 3 hours in training, even if that means only running 16 miles for you depending of your speed. After 3 hours on your feet, the amount of muscle and tendon damage and the time needed to recover from it is not worth the extra mileage. If you need to actually run 26 miles to ''feel ready' for the big day, you are NOT ****ing ready to run a marathon. If you are ready to do it in training, you are ready to do it in a race setting. End of story.

I'm going to partially disagree. At a certain point, the mileage is more mental than physical. I wanted to know that I could do the whole 26.2 and get it done in a reasonable amount of time. So I gave it the ol' college try 3 months before the race. I had plenty of recovery time, and I wasn't stressed wondering if I could do it.

The only drawback was: when I crossed the finish line on race day, as awesome as it was, I still had a bit of the "been there done that" emotion going on. That being said, I'm glad I was able to finish my training and enjoy the race weekend with a clear head.

Hey OP... I went from not running to doing a "practice" marathon in 6 months, and an actual race 3 months later. Nothing to it (well, except for lots of hard work, lots of shoes, possible frostbite, misery, etc)... but it is all worth it.

My only real advice is: make sure you have a mental diversion the day before your race. I couldn't relax, so I drank probably too much beer, and then closed out the night at Jack in the Box. There weren't lots of people behind me, but I feel sorry for the ones that were.

Your case is a little different. 3 months to recover is one thing but generally when people are doing a training plan for a marathon they are talking about doing the full distance shortly before the race. Plus with OP's timeline she will be right up to the wire so she doesn't have time to do an early "full" distance and recover in time for her race.
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for some of the information I was seeing, I want to start running (I'm not looking to do a marathon or even half marathon anytime soon, but thought a good deal of the info could still be of great help for any training) and have seen some good tips on this board I'd like to revisit. :D
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Maybe im not understanding your questions, ok wait, i see where the confusion is at. My fault. I do the C25k program. It is 30 minutes long. I do that doing the jogging/walking and do about 2 miles. I then walk the other 30 min after program is done at a fast pace. I am averaging those miles in 61 minutes.

That makes the pace more believable . lol my bad.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

The vast majority of runners would disagree with running the whole 26.2 before the race, especially for a first time runner. The amount of recovery required and the toll it takes makes it simply not worth it.
    I would strongly advise against doing the full distance in training.

How are you doing 4.25 miles on week 2?

Not understanding your question?

I have a while to build up to that point, so Im taking in all the info given to me in regards to the marathon. I have been working closely with someone who has ran many and is giving me all the info from the mistakes he did on his first time run.

I hope to bring an update a year from now on this forum!:)

My question was how are you covering 4.25 miles on week 2 of C25K. Depending on the program it is either run1; walk 1 x10 (so 20 minutes total) or run 2; walk 1 x8 or so for around 20 minutes total.

I also understand you have awhile to build to the marathon point, but you are still approaching it as a "newbie". It will be your first time through the marathon training program. You will be covering the long distances for the first time. It is still an issue of recovery vs benefit and at the point you will be, any benefit of covering the whole distance will be far outweighed by the toll it takes on your body. I strongly do not recommend in your case running the distance before the marathon.

I do hope you bring an update, I wish you all the best.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Everything from the OP just screams "too much, too soon" You may want to really look at dialing it down a little as you progress as I can't help but feel you are setting yourself up for injury. Good luck, if you really enjoy running and aren't just doing this to cross something off your bucket list, don't overdo it, get injured and never be willing/able to lace up again.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for some of the information I was seeing, I want to start running (I'm not looking to do a marathon or even half marathon anytime soon, but thought a good deal of the info could still be of great help for any training) and have seen some good tips on this board I'd like to revisit. :D

best advice is: no matter how much it sucks going outside, especially in the cold and rain, once you get going it isn't that bad. And when you are done it is totally worth it.

if you live in a wet environment, get a shoe dryer and a good running rain jacket
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I feel im at a comfortable pace right now. I understand everyones concerns. We can walk in the marathon right? lol. I dont have to finish at 4 hr pace. I will finish, IM not shooting for the fastest time. Im shooting for a finish. Ive seen many people finish it, many people that are in worse shape then I. I just have to be dedicated to my training. My real training for my marathon will begin 16 weeks out from the race. I have 8 months to build up long distances. Then 16 weeks before I will be doing my training. Thank you all :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

best advice is: no matter how much it sucks going outside, especially in the cold and rain, once you get going it isn't that bad. And when you are done it is totally worth it.

if you live in a wet environment, get a shoe dryer and a good running rain jacket

This is something I will have to remember and practice regularly! :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Just to be clear when I am talking about not covering the full distance/being a newbie to marathon -
    I have been running for over 10 years now. I've done a number of half marathon distances. I do not consider myself a newbie runner, however, regarding the advice about not running the full distance before the marathon - it is advice I would be taking myself even if I were starting a marathon program in my best past physical condition. Even considering I have covered half the distance a number of times and relatively easy. It's not about being "new" to running or not, its about being "new" to the marathon distance and training.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'd like to give a slightly different point of view.

I am not a runner, I will never be a runner and to be honest, I really don't like running. However, I did lose a lot of weight and I did prepare for and successfully run a marathon in 1 year. You CAN do it!!

I am 5' 11" tall and in July 2008 I weighed 307lbs and struggled to tie my shoelaces. I was 46 years old. After a health scare i knew that things had to change. I modified my diet and started walking and doing some exercises in the gym everyday. By Oct. 2010 I had lost 67 lbs and on a whim bet a friend that I could complete a marathon within 1 year. I picked the Marine Corps Marathon in DC on Oct 30th 2011 and the game was afoot!!. I was able to walk 6 miles at that point but could not really run more than 100 yards at a time. However, I had taken up cycling and this was the best thing I ever did!

The problem with using all these running programs when you are heavy is that it puts a lot of stress on your body, especially your knees, ankles and hips. Cycling provides a very low impact method of improving your leg strength, stamina and VO2 max, which is essential for any endurance event.

It is quite reasonable to go from being a cycling novice to being able to complete a century (100 miles) ride in 8-10 weeks This is a huge benefit in marathon prep as it gets you used to doing a strenuous activity for 5-6 hours or more with a sustained cadence.

I trained to be able to ride 150-200 miles per week and upped my walking speed and distance until I was able to walk 10 miles at a 4.0 mph pace without being out of breath. Then I went to a local running track which has a soft cushioned surface and began my run training which consisted of alternating jogging/walking laps around the track. Eventually I was able to run 8 laps around the track (I'd start in the outside lane and move inward one lane after each lap. This is a little over 2 miles

Then I started parking 1 mile from the track, running there, running 8 laps and walking back. I kept extending this until I was able to comfortably run a 10K (6.2 miles) while still able to converse with someone. I have never really understood why people insist about doing lots of 5k, 10k and half marathon races. This is unimportant in my view. What is important is to find the right pace/rhythm and efficient running technique that you can keep up for a long time. The marathon itself should be about running and finishing safely and enjoying the experience!.

About 3 months out I upped my run mileage to be able to go 8-10 miles at a 10min/mile pace. I only ever ran over 10 miles 3 times prior to the marathon, all within one month of the race. (10, 12 and 16 miles) I kept up my cycling throughout my run prep.

I was able to complete the marathon in 5:15 running the entire way except during my only hiccup at mile 22 when I got a calf cramp. It took me a mile and a half to walk/stretch/massage the cramp out,costing me about 10-15 mins and then I was able to run at my normal pace and even finished with an uphill sprint!! Even though I dislike running, I had a ball at the race, enjoying every second, well except the cramp :). The atmosphere was fantastic and the scenery inspiring. High-fiving all the little kids cheering the runners on was priceless!!!

I was 220 lbs on the day of the race and I would say that I would have probably been in the top 10% weight wise of people who were able to run the event. I was fine after the race, walked around DC that night, flew home and did a 20 mile recovery bike ride the next day.

I say all this to encourage you to reach your goal. Be careful how you train, listen to your body, find a low impact activity that you can do for a long time to build up your stamina. Find what works for you and your body/lifestyle and stick to your plan!

I didn't think that I would do another marathon but i am now committed to running the London 2015. I have not run more than 2 miles since the Maraine Corps so have about 10 months to prepare and I fully intend to enjoy every second of the race :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Just to be clear when I am talking about not covering the full distance/being a newbie to marathon -
    I have been running for over 10 years now. I've done a number of half marathon distances. I do not consider myself a newbie runner, however, regarding the advice about not running the full distance before the marathon - it is advice I would be taking myself even if I were starting a marathon program in my best past physical condition. Even considering I have covered half the distance a number of times and relatively easy. It's not about being "new" to running or not, its about being "new" to the marathon distance and training.

I also heard the same from the person Im running with who has run 8 marathons now. He told me NOT to cover the full distance.

Thanks again :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I'd like to give a slightly different point of view.

I am not a runner, I will never be a runner and to be honest, I really don't like running. However, I did lose a lot of weight and I did prepare for and successfully run a marathon in 1 year. You CAN do it!!

I am 5' 11" tall and in July 2008 I weighed 307lbs and struggled to tie my shoelaces. I was 46 years old. After a health scare i knew that things had to change. I modified my diet and started walking and doing some exercises in the gym everyday. By Oct. 2010 I had lost 67 lbs and on a whim bet a friend that I could complete a marathon within 1 year. I picked the Marine Corps Marathon in DC on Oct 30th 2011 and the game was afoot!!. I was able to walk 6 miles at that point but could not really run more than 100 yards at a time. However, I had taken up cycling and this was the best thing I ever did!

The problem with using all these running programs when you are heavy is that it puts a lot of stress on your body, especially your knees, ankles and hips. Cycling provides a very low impact method of improving your leg strength, stamina and VO2 max, which is essential for any endurance event.

It is quite reasonable to go from being a cycling novice to being able to complete a century (100 miles) ride in 8-10 weeks This is a huge benefit in marathon prep as it gets you used to doing a strenuous activity for 5-6 hours or more with a sustained cadence.

I trained to be able to ride 150-200 miles per week and upped my walking speed and distance until I was able to walk 10 miles at a 4.0 mph pace without being out of breath. Then I went to a local running track which has a soft cushioned surface and began my run training which consisted of alternating jogging/walking laps around the track. Eventually I was able to run 8 laps around the track (I'd start in the outside lane and move inward one lane after each lap. This is a little over 2 miles

Then I started parking 1 mile from the track, running there, running 8 laps and walking back. I kept extending this until I was able to comfortably run a 10K (6.2 miles) while still able to converse with someone. I have never really understood why people insist about doing lots of 5k, 10k and half marathon races. This is unimportant in my view. What is important is to find the right pace/rhythm and efficient running technique that you can keep up for a long time. The marathon itself should be about running and finishing safely and enjoying the experience!.

About 3 months out I upped my run mileage to be able to go 8-10 miles at a 10min/mile pace. I only ever ran over 10 miles 3 times prior to the marathon, all within one month of the race. (10, 12 and 16 miles) I kept up my cycling throughout my run prep.

I was able to complete the marathon in 5:15 running the entire way except during my only hiccup at mile 22 when I got a calf cramp. It took me a mile and a half to walk/stretch/massage the cramp out,costing me about 10-15 mins and then I was able to run at my normal pace and even finished with an uphill sprint!! Even though I dislike running, I had a ball at the race, enjoying every second, well except the cramp :). The atmosphere was fantastic and the scenery inspiring. High-fiving all the little kids cheering the runners on was priceless!!!

I was 220 lbs on the day of the race and I would say that I would have probably been in the top 10% weight wise of people who were able to run the event. I was fine after the race, walked around DC that night, flew home and did a 20 mile recovery bike ride the next day.

I say all this to encourage you to reach your goal. Be careful how you train, listen to your body, find a low impact activity that you can do for a long time to build up your stamina. Find what works for you and your body/lifestyle and stick to your plan!

I didn't think that I would do another marathon but i am now committed to running the London 2015. I have not run more than 2 miles since the Maraine Corps so have about 10 months to prepare and I fully intend to enjoy every second of the race :)

Awesome.png
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. If you want something, go get it. Period. Life is a learning process. If you fall on your face, who cares? People are so afraid of failure that they aren't willing to take risks. I commend your couagous decision to venture into the sport of distance running. As you can tell, it's a VERY bold move. I, for one, love you for it.

I started smoking at age 16. Running helped me quit.
    I ran my first marathon 13 months ago, I have ran 6 more marathons taking my time from 4:09 down to 3:27.. I've BQed twice. I've also completed an ultra marathon 31.5 miles ~9:10 pace (second female overall).

Lots of people think I'm crazy/don't agree with my training.

People tried to scare me out of running my first marathon too, and I listened. I should have just done it when I wanted to.

You'll be totally fine
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Well, a Galloway plan would have her go 28-29. But that's also a run-walk. One run/walk of that distance would make me take up knitting lol
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I am training on a treadmill at the gym because it is easier on my joints. I am running 5 km so it is not too boring as I am not on it for too long. Are you inside training or outside training? Make sure you have good music and if you need to start with walking then running.