Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just want to ask the obvious question: OP, do you know if you ENJOY running? Because marathon training is absolutely grueling even for those who love to run.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. If you enjoy running, and you're in good health, there's no reason not to try. I just wanted to make sure you thought about this part. Because if you discover that you hate running, this is going to suck--bad.

This is also very true. I really enjoy running, and yet there were still times when I was training for the marathon when it was so difficult, and I questioned why I had ever signed up in the first place. I won't lie: those super long training runs can be HARD.

Also, when you first start running, before you've established a fitness base, it's (sometimes) not that much fun. I mean, you are teaching your body to exert itself in a whole new way, and part of that can be really uncomfortable.

But I still think you shouldn't get ahead of yourself. Right now, building the running base is the place to start. You have 11 months to figure out if you can stick this out, if it's worth it, and if you like it. I think it's entirely within the realm of possiblity that you can (and will!) do the marathon. But I also think, if you decide half way through the year that a half marathon is a better goal for you right now, then that's a totally incredible and respectable goal as well. You've got the rest of your life to work toward a marathon, or beyond that!

I really appreciate this post. Totally right. Fitness wise, I believe im not that behind. I have worked up over the past year and gained alot of appreciation for how strong my body is. I did the c25k last night and could have probably pushed harder but I didnt want to injure or tire myself out its only day 1. There have been many things in my life that people tell me are not possible...however...i have and will continue to push myself. It fuels the fire. You are right if 8 months in I really just dont want to run the full, I dont have too..even a 5 k is a win in my book. Ill keep re-evaluating my goals as I move forward and hit months down the road :)

A 5k IS a win. Heck, the 20 minute run in week 5/6 is an INCREDIBLE victory. We were just reminiscing in the 10k group.

There is so very much amazing about running - so much magic - so many challenges to be met and surpassed - that it baffles me why a premature marathon is ever a goal.

I mean, it wouldn't have baffled me 19 months ago, but I wasn't a runner then.

I am currently reading "Marathon Woman" by Kathrine Switzer. I highly recommend you take a look at it.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ignore marathon training plans until at least 6 months out from the race. You don't want to train for a marathon a year out. I actually prefer 16 week plans, but I know some plans are more beginner based and go for 6 months. Train for the 5k and 10k first...work your way up to those distances. Once you can run a 10 mile training run (slow, easy, pace, maybe even some walking in there still), then start shopping around for the marathon plan of your choice. There are so many out there. Try the book "The Big Book of Marathon Training" (runners world). It;s also full of other great running tips besides just plans.
    ^^^This
    because she is awesome and runs like a million miles/week and I love following her posts!! :happy:
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.
    You may or may not finish. If you don't, don't get stuck out there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good tip :) My fam will be out there and my brother is running it too.

don't have a backup plan...plan to train for a half, then six months out train for the whole...you'll do it. Even if you walk the second half, you can complete your distance! Be confident! Completing is your main goal on the first try. I can't wait to read about your 8th marathon completed in under 4hrs in two years' time! :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA. LOL.

I will do it.

I will finish.

I got this.

If I cared what all the critics told me I wouldnt do it :). Not my style.

I do have a year. I do have the physical capability. Ive been working out, eating healthy for a year..that is my base. I start working towards a run now and next year this time I will be running.

Like I said Im not doing it to become worlds best runner. Im doing it to finish. I promised myself I would.

Your goal gives you a thin margin for error. C25K and B210K total about 15 weeks ... four months down assuming everything stays on schedule. Figure another 12-16 weeks for most beginner half marathon programs and we're well over half a year gone .. again, assuming everything goes perfectly as hoped. The problem is that training rarely goes as hoped. Injuries, illness, weather, and life intervene. Plan A is a full marathon from no running base in less than a year ... ambitious. What is plan B?
    Plan B is finish the marathon. lol.

That's wonderful until you roll an ankle, tweak a muscle or joint, get the flu, or any other minor setback occurs. All or nothing isn't usually the wisest course of action.

You are right, but I cant plan like that. What if a bus hits me before the race? What if I die?

Its all how you look at it. I will deal with injuries if /when they come, I will try 100% to train smartly to be there on race day and to finish on race day.

The thing is that an experienced runner knows injuries WILL come. They know which ones they are prone to, how to work around them, when to scale down and when to bail (at least theoretically). They know how to rework their training plan, when to put off or skip a run, how far they are set back and when it's possible to cross-train instead.

They also know that we're not talking about a ripped meniscus or a sprained ankle but an IT band injury or plantar fascitis.

I've freaking bought 6 different pairs of shoes in the last few months and reworked my foot strike because my toes and the balls of my feet start feeling battered about 2.5 miles into the run and I simply can't go on. And that's not even an injury. That's just being a runner.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm in the switch to the half camp.

OP, just know that these people telling you to switch to half are not telling you that because they don't think you can do it. It is absolutely possible that you can.

What they are telling you is that when you ramp up that kind of mileage from TRAINING for it without an already long standing average weekly amount of miles on those legs than the odds of an injury way before you even make it to the starting line are so much higher than you realize and not worth it.

I feel into the trap of "I know I can push myself to do it and I will do it." and tried going for it within the first year of running. Everything was peachy until a month and a half out from the marathon when mileage got around 16-18 long runs than disaster struck. An overuse injury flushed my goal down the drain. It was my own fault bc I pushed my body too long too soon without an established base. Weeks after the injury I was struggling to even get my legs to do a 5k so I basically had to start training ALL OVER AGAIN. Even though I did eventually get my first under my belt (much much later after retraining again), that same injury still rears it's ugly head from time to time and probably will for the rest of my running career. It all could have been avoided if I just established a better base and took my time. I would have run my first sooner and I most likely wouldn't have to be popping ibuprofen when I go on my mid-long runs now.

We all know it is possible but the question is if it a wise way to approach this. The odds really aren't in your favor, even more so at your current fitness level.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    I havn't ran a full marathon, I am maybe going to look at it next summer. Not there yet. I was big into running in high school and early 20s, because I didn't like to be on the bench. I determined it was much harder to have someone take my starting basketball position if I never came out of the game. When I went to college and had a knee injury I just never got back into it. I picked it back up as a nice way to decompress and loose the baby weight. So I am speaking more from a beginner rebuilding the distance. I ran my first 1/2 marathon as an adult last Saturday. I didn't win, but I finished and was able to still workout Monday. I consider that a win. Biggest advice is to respect the race.

Also get yourself a bike or join a cycling class. The biggest thing for new runners is leg stregnth. You will add millege much quicker and be much less sore with this low impact excercise. Somehow mentally your legs hurting from a bike is less off putting too (maybe that is just me). The runs became far more comfortable after picking up biking. I would run what I could and then come home change quick and get on my bike.

Also get a foam roller. It will hurt bad when you first start rolling out, but it makes your muscles heal quicker and reduces chance of injury. I do this after every workout/run.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan. I had friend try to run one and felt fully prepared. On the day of the marathon, she got some major blisters and foot pain about 15 miles into it. Couldn't finish because of the pain. Good thing she had some friends there to drive her back to her own vehicle. Couldn't imagine having to walk back the last 11 miles.

IDEA Fitness member

don't have a backup plan...plan to train for a half, then six months out train for the whole...you'll do it. Even if you walk the second half, you can complete your distance! Be confident! Completing is your main goal on the first try. I can't wait to read about your 8th marathon completed in under 4hrs in two years' time! :flowerforyou:

I just love you! LOL :)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    OP - I started running about 16 months ago at 200lbs. The first time I laced up I wanted to fall over and die after attempting to run for 30 consecutive seconds. 7 1/2 months later I crossed the finish line of my first race which was a full marathon. I'm currently training to run a 100km ultra marathon in October.

Be smart about it, but it is definitely doable. The most important thing is to listen to your body; don't be afraid to take breaks and days off. In the early stages of running it's difficult to know the difference between regular aches and pains vs an injury so if something doesn't feel right, don't push through it. Eventually you'll learn what's normal and what's not. Go into this knowing there's always a chance of injury.

For now start with learning to run 5k and work up from there.

Also, after putting it out there that I was planning to run a marathon I got a lot of replies like you're getting ("start smaller!" "do a 5k/10k/half instead!"), so I stopped talking about it because aside from an injury, nothing was going to change my mind. Some risks are really just worth taking.

Good luck!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race,.....

See this right here, no one thinks that. No one is calling you dumb or thinking you're dumb. What they are doing is trying to keep you from getting hurt. There are a lot of experienced runners in here giving fantastic advice for free, and the consensus is that a half marathon is much more appropriate goal. And guess what? Running a half marathon is still a kick *kitten* accomplishment. I've never done it, and God willing, I never ever ever will. You'll have me and about 95% of the human race beat by miles.

It's not dumb to shoot for the moon. We all admire what you've done so far and what you hope to accomplish. What would be dumb, however, is to ask for advice, then receive a ton of great advice from people with experience, and then throw that advice out of the window.

^^^ This! You asked for the good, the bad, and the ugly. You got what you asked for. Sometimes it's hard when we don't hear what we want. I've been there. Switching to a different distance is not failure. I haven't read a single post here telling you to not run. A lot of people have been warning you about injury, illness, and other 'out of our control' circumstances that can interfere with training. That's just the reality of things. Be smart. Train safely. Give yourself plenty of time to build up your strength and get consistent miles in each week. Eat well. Get plenty of sleep. Stretch. Allow for recovery. Let other runners help you reach your goal by allowing them to advise you and learn from their experiences. What I learn from other runners is invaluable and way easier than what I have learned from my own mistakes. Becoming a runner is a journey, a beautiful journey, and it's totally worth it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So yeah. I did it. lol..Im running a FULL marathon MAY 2015. I cant run. Well maybe for 30 seconds.

I did it because in 6 days I will have had 1 yr on this fitness journey. Ive come leaps and bounds. Long story short..I was immobile at 272 lbs a year ago to now being active, almost 50 lbs lighter, and ALIVE! Sorry Im also 29! :)

SO to reward myself for my year, Ive registered for a FULL Marathon. Im a rookie. I know the road is going to be long, but I got this! (I think ..lol).

Any tips for a first time Marathoner would be amzing! Something that you learned doing yours that noone told you. I want the good the bad and the ugly. Female advice also greatly appreciated for obvious reasons.

HELP skinny at heart person out! :)

Here's my tip: switch to a half.

Why? First, I'm not saying it's impossible. Anything is possible. However, I had people tell me the things I'm going to tell you, but I didn't listen. Unlike you, I was able to run for 30 seconds. I was able to run for 3 hours, and had a 1:45 half marathon under my belt. I lost 30lbs here, and was in the best shape of my life. And then I got all "I can do anything" and signed up for a marathon.

You have a lot to be proud of, and I can understand wanting that feather in your cap after all you've accomplished, and a marathon is a huge feather. However, as someone who has put in the time and mileage and ran a marathon prematurely (and I'm doing several more in the fall, but I gave it another good year and 2000 miles ran), I will say that a marathon is not something you just "run" into blindly. Sign up for a 5K. Then a 10K. Then a half marathon. A marathon that is properly trained for and ran is not easy, even for the most experienced runner.

Bottom line: you can't run for 30 seconds. You're still overweight (212 lbs). Even if you lose another incredible 50lbs (really, great job on that), you're looking at most likely a 5-6 hour haul, and that's assuming you can train and your body reacts well to the workload.

^^this^^ Do a 5k, then a couple 10k's and see how your body feels. 6.2 miles is less then a quarter of the marathon. Work up to it; and yes, I'd change your sign up to a half. You will have a much more enjoyable experience running the shorter distances then if you attempt to head out and train for a full. Best of luck.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello All! I REALLY appreciate the honesty. Some of you probably think Im a little dumb for doing this race,.....

See this right here, no one thinks that. No one is calling you dumb or thinking you're dumb. What they are doing is trying to keep you from getting hurt. There are a lot of experienced runners in here giving fantastic advice for free, and the consensus is that a half marathon is much more appropriate goal. And guess what? Running a half marathon is still a kick *kitten* accomplishment. I've never done it, and God willing, I never ever ever will. You'll have me and about 95% of the human race beat by miles.

It's not dumb to shoot for the moon. We all admire what you've done so far and what you hope to accomplish. What would be dumb, however, is to ask for advice, then receive a ton of great advice from people with experience, and then throw that advice out of the window.

^^^ This! You asked for the good, the bad, and the ugly. You got what you asked for. Sometimes it's hard when we don't hear what we want. I've been there. Switching to a different distance is not failure. I haven't read a single post here telling you to not run. A lot of people have been warning you about injury, illness, and other 'out of our control' circumstances that can interfere with training. That's just the reality of things. Be smart. Train safely. Give yourself plenty of time to build up your strength and get consistent miles in each week. Eat well. Get plenty of sleep. Stretch. Allow for recovery. Let other runners help you reach your goal by allowing them to advise you and learn from their experiences. What I learn from other runners is invaluable and way easier than what I have learned from my own mistakes. Becoming a runner is a journey, a beautiful journey, and it's totally worth it.

I think the intent is that you run, become a runner, complete a marathon and be proud of yourself. All things in their season, though.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    If you want my practical advice - I'm in the "switch to a half" camp.

But.. there's something about the human spirit which carries us through even the toughest times, if we're determined enough. I don't think the full marathon will be impossible. It'll be painful, it'll come with a lot of challenges and ups and downs and all the rest of it. And finishing will be fantastic - I wish you all the best.

However, don't be so determined that you ignore everything else around you. Listen to your body. Be brutally honest about your own limitations. If you feel injuries coming on, then stop training. If you have to repeat a week, then repeat it. As nice as a solid training plan is, *kitten* happens and that plan could end up in tatters.

Ultimately, I wish you nothing but good luck :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Best wishes on your journey. Remember, you have not been running. Start slow and build yourself up. You can do this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Always have a back up plan. You may not have to use it, but it's there if something should happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Always have a back up plan. You may not have to use it, but it's there if something should happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Some people you just can't reach.

She can't run 30 seconds now but is somehow convinced that her body will adapt to the point where it can handle 26.2 miles in less than a year ... that she'll enjoy the activity enough to endure the hours of training necessary to reach that goal ... and that she'll have no hiccups in the plan along the way. Her approach is all or nothing. Succeed or fail. That line of thought leaves no room for only making significant progress towards a life goal if something happens and she doesn't finish the marathon as planned.
  • likitisplit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

She can't run 30 seconds now but is somehow convinced that her body will adapt to the point where it can handle 26.2 miles in less than a year ... that she'll enjoy the activity enough to endure the hours of training necessary to reach that goal ... and that she'll have no hiccups in the plan along the way. Her approach is all or nothing. Succeed or fail. That line of thought leaves no room for only making significant progress towards a life goal if something happens and she doesn't finish the marathon as planned.

The thing that makes me sad is that there are so many surprises and victories as you move through the process of "Starting to run." to "I've been running." to "I'm an (eek) runner." to "I'm a runner and you are too." to "How can I even call myself a runner if I'm not doing 20 miles a week?"

I'd worry that the glory of the first day and the first 5 minutes and the first 10 minutes and the first 5k and the first 10k and the first 7,8,9,10,11 miles are all going to get swallowed up in the "am I progressing enough to do 26.2 in a year?" And that's NOT the mindset that's going to keep you motivated and uninjured through C25k, let alone those lonely long-run miles.

I have had terrible MONTHS. I've had WEEKS of no progress or when I've moved backward. And then the magic day when all of it falls off and I'm better than ever. For a run. And then two runs. And then a week of runs.

What keeps me going is knowing that I don't need to be another runner than the one that I am...and if you asked me whether I was capable of running two years ago, I probably would have started crying because you were making fun of me. I hadn't been able to run for more than 15 seconds in my life, and how would I be able to at my fattest? Contrasting that person with the runner I am today always gives me chills.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

The thing that makes me sad is that there are so many surprises and victories as you move through the process of "Starting to run." to "I've been running." to "I'm an (eek) runner." to "I'm a runner and you are too." to "How can I even call myself a runner if I'm not doing 20 miles a week?"

I'd worry that the glory of the first day and the first 5 minutes and the first 10 minutes and the first 5k and the first 10k and the first 7,8,9,10,11 miles are all going to get swallowed up in the "am I progressing enough to do 26.2 in a year?" And that's NOT the mindset that's going to keep you motivated and uninjured through C25k, let alone those lonely long-run miles.

I have had terrible MONTHS. I've had WEEKS of no progress or when I've moved backward. And then the magic day when all of it falls off and I'm better than ever. For a run. And then two runs. And then a week of runs.

What keeps me going is knowing that I don't need to be another runner than the one that I am...and if you asked me whether I was capable of running two years ago, I probably would have started crying because you were making fun of me. I hadn't been able to run for more than 15 seconds in my life, and how would I be able to at my fattest? Contrasting that person with the runner I am today always gives me chills.

There is a contrast between you and the OP. You recognize that there were bad weeks and months ... she isn't even allowing for that possibility. Some people fall in love with running ... some do it when it is far from their favorite activity ... others believe it completely sucks and would rather undergo anesthetic free colonoscopies on a daily basis then run another step in their life. The OP has no clue what part of that spectrum she falls in.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    There is a contrast between you and the OP. You recognize that there were bad weeks and months ... she isn't even allowing for that possibility. Some people fall in love with running ... some do it when it is far from their favorite activity ... others believe it completely sucks and would rather undergo anesthetic free colonoscopies on a daily basis then run another step in their life. The OP has no clue what part of that spectrum she falls in.

Correction - I didn't know about them. I FOUND OUT about them :laugh:

I mean, everybody responds to running differently. I know people who never attend races. There are people who won't run unless there is a race involved.

Maybe a BHAG is what the OP needs to get motivated.

But one thing I've found is that running teaches you a whole lot more than how to move over the ground quickly - and you need to be open to those lessons as well. Being focused solely on where you want to be a year from now might make you miss those digressions. And those are exactly the things that make you try a new lacing technique and then a new shoe and then a new surface and then body glide on your feet and then a new strike and then to remove all of your sock liners because your feet feel bloody every time you run. Because you're damn sure not going to quit running.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

This is awesome, if you let people rant, they will rant. lol. The spectrum I fall in, is Im going to finish this race. Thats it. lol. . Carry on ranting :) It fuels my fire.
  • likitisplit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

This is awesome, if you let people rant, they will rant. lol. The spectrum I fall in, is Im going to finish this race. Thats it. lol. . Carry on ranting :) It fuels my fire.

I hope it gets you through the longer runs.

A tip on C25k: slow down. Your running pace should be very close to your walking pace otherwise you will have a hard time in weeks 3/4 and won't be able to finish week 5.