Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Here's my tip: switch to a half.

I'm going to agree with this one too. I am about the same weight as you and started a little higher too. I started running a year ago and vowed to run a marathon by the time I'm 40. I will turn 40 in March. I quickly backed that down to a half because of the time commitment involved training for a full. Also I have had 3 running injuries in the last year that set me back as well. I've had tendonitis in my lower shin, healed that and got a stress fracture in my upper shin, healed that and developed hip bursitis. I wear properly fitted shoes too.

The point is don't invest your money until you get a little more experience running. You might hate it too and decide you don't like to run. Personally I love it, but get frustrated because my body doesn't like me doing it so we keep fighting each other. I keep hoping that taking off more pounds will help the injuries.

I will run a marathon one day and so will you. Just take it slow. Like the others said, start with a 5K, then a 10K and then a half. A half in a year would be great.

Im sorry your body doesnt take well to running :(. I am still going to go for the marathon, assuming my body does keep up. If not...thats life :).

So far so good, just trying to build stamina, doing the c25k program and it seems to be working. Hope to update the forum in a few mnths to see how im progressing.

Thanks again :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I would say take it really slow at this stage. It might not be politically correct to say so on MFP, but 220lbs is still a lot of weight for your knees to deal with in a relentless high-impact sport like running, so you need to be careful or you'll get injured. It's possible to do permanent damage.

A lot of walking will really help, getting you used to time on your feet and working all the right muscles. You can also improve your general conditioning with swimming, cycling, cross-training and so on, before steadily ramping up the running as your fitness improves and your weight continues to reduce. Couch25k will do the job nicely.

I wouldn't consider trying to do serious miles until you've lost another 50lbs. But those people telling you that you can't run a marathon in 10 months? Ignore them. The worst that can happen is they're right and you can only manage a half marathon in a year. For a worst-case scenario, that's not bad!

Before starting the "running" journey, I had been working out my legs for a year. I could mainly only do these exercises for the year as I was unable to use my left hand (tumor ). So alot of my exercise, was walking, mostly stairs & elliptical. When I started the c25k, my legs honestly felt great. So far so good. I start week 3 today and I feel great SO FAR. I attribute this to having had a base of working out esp. for my legs. On my "rest" days I am biking (as recommended) and doing some walking and core workouts.
    The one thing I do need work on is sleep!

Thanks again for your advice :) I can only imagine how well I will be able to move with 50 lbs less!! Cant wait :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider trying to do serious miles until you've lost another 50lbs. But those people telling you that you can't run a marathon in 10 months? Ignore them. The worst that can happen is they're right and you can only manage a half marathon in a year. For a worst-case scenario, that's not bad!

This is *not* the "worst that can happen" for someone who makes a stretch goal a "do or die" goal above all other considerations.

(I won't say any more because my arms are tired and this horse hasn't moved in weeks.)
  • imacrazycatlady
    imacrazycatlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely with the folks who said switch to the half. Too much too soon ends up in injury. I've seen many people start with the marathon distance only to end up sidelined for long periods of time. It takes years to build true endurance. Be kind to your body and stay in the running game by building up to the marathon distance over a few years.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Absolutely with the folks who said switch to the half. Too much too soon ends up in injury. I've seen many people start with the marathon distance only to end up sidelined for long periods of time. It takes years to build true endurance. Be kind to your body and stay in the running game by building up to the marathon distance over a few years.

STAHP HATING ON THE OP's GOALS! i thought this website was a place for support!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

This is *not* the "worst that can happen" for someone who makes a stretch goal a "do or die" goal above all other considerations.

(I won't say any more because my arms are tired and this horse hasn't moved in weeks.)

Thank goodness! :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Thanks for this! I thought so too...but apparently "support" comes in all forms, even telling me I shouldnt or cant.. LOL. Its cool though...keep adding the fuel people!! :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I thought so too...but apparently "support" comes in all forms, even telling me I shouldnt or cant.. LOL. Its cool though...keep adding the fuel people!! :)

Yes, support comes in all kind of forms. But I think you'll be most familiar with ankle and knee support braces when your body falls apart because it's not ready for this.
  • jesskry
    jesskry Posts: 3
    Options
    As someone who always hated running and still do not consider myself a runner (even after completing Chicago, NYC and the Boston marathon w/in the past 4 years) I'm so excited for you! I ran my first marathon after running several halfs. You definitely need a base but can do it with a year to train if your goal (like mine) is to finish, not for a time.

1. Def register for shorter runs leading up to the race. It helps you gain confidence. You should run at least a 5K, and several 10Ks and at least one half marathon prior to the full marathon. Helps a ton. If you're running the marathon solo, reg for these solo. It'll help you to rely on yourself and no one else for support and push during the run.

2. Don't be afraid to run training runs with friends who run at the same tempo as you. I feared this for a long time but if you're just getting through the mileage not focusing on speed, it def helps to have people to talk to.

3. Get properly fitted sneakers. Not like size wise but get fitted for running a marathon at a reputable sneaker store that specializes in distance running.

4. Get the right socks. NOT COTTON.

5. Use a free training program like Hal Higdon provides.

6. Get a GPS watch. This way you know exactly how long you've ran, even if you get lost. :)

7. Get a fuel belt. You need to stay hydrated out on a run and practices keeping both it and sports drinks down. If you can find out which one they are using for your particular marathon and practice? So much the better.

8. Really practice fueling your run. Some people can eat normally. Others, like me, cannot eat a lot of fiber before a run - even the night before. Some things may upset your stomach even if normally they'd be fine. Test now and find out.

9. Lady tip: use vaseline on lady chafe areas as well as your feet. Under your sports bra, between your thighs and 'cheeks'. If not you may end up with open blisters from 'rub'. Been there, done that: soap and sweat sting like a mo fo.

10. Invest in a foam roller. You need to do this daily. Huge in preventing injuries.

11. Read up on how to fuel your run. Do not try to lose weight during this time! And don't be surprised when you gain weight. It's water and glycogen. It will come off after you're done training. But, that said, it is very easy to gain weight during training as you'll want to eat everything in sight.

12. Change your sneakers out after 500 miles so that they'll provide adequate support for the issues your body has. I'm an overpronator with bad knees/ankles. My sneakers help with this. W/o properly fitted sneakers I couldn't run a mile.

13. If you're new to distance running, check in with your doctor and a chiropractor. Some injuries can be rectified if found quicker.

14. Don't listen to the haters. You want to do this. You CAN do this. You just need a plan and to stick to it.

I'm happy to discuss more if you need. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Not one person said that you can't.

We all said that you can. And the best way to achieve your goal would be to reframe your timeline because of the basic physiology of learning to run.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Yes, support comes in all kind of forms. But I think you'll be most familiar with ankle and knee support braces when your body falls apart because it's not ready for this.

:drinker:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    As someone who always hated running and still do not consider myself a runner (even after completing Chicago, NYC and the Boston marathon w/in the past 4 years) I'm so excited for you! I ran my first marathon after running several halfs. You definitely need a base but can do it with a year to train if your goal (like mine) is to finish, not for a time.

1. Def register for shorter runs leading up to the race. It helps you gain confidence. You should run at least a 5K, and several 10Ks and at least one half marathon prior to the full marathon. Helps a ton. If you're running the marathon solo, reg for these solo. It'll help you to rely on yourself and no one else for support and push during the run.

2. Don't be afraid to run training runs with friends who run at the same tempo as you. I feared this for a long time but if you're just getting through the mileage not focusing on speed, it def helps to have people to talk to.

3. Get properly fitted sneakers. Not like size wise but get fitted for running a marathon at a reputable sneaker store that specializes in distance running.

6. Get a GPS watch. This way you know exactly how long you've ran, even if you get lost. :)

7. Get a fuel belt. You need to stay hydrated out on a run and practices keeping both it and sports drinks down. If you can find out which one they are using for your particular marathon and practice? So much the better.

8. Really practice fueling your run. Some people can eat normally. Others, like me, cannot eat a lot of fiber before a run - even the night before. Some things may upset your stomach even if normally they'd be fine. Test now and find out.

9. Lady tip: use vaseline on lady chafe areas as well as your feet. Under your sports bra, between your thighs and 'cheeks'. If not you may end up with open blisters from 'rub'. Been there, done that: soap and sweat sting like a mo fo.

10. Invest in a foam roller. You need to do this daily. Huge in preventing injuries.

11. Read up on how to fuel your run. Do not try to lose weight during this time! And don't be surprised when you gain weight. It's water and glycogen. It will come off after you're done training. But, that said, it is very easy to gain weight during training as you'll want to eat everything in sight.

12. Change your sneakers out after 500 miles so that they'll provide adequate support for the issues your body has. I'm an overpronator with bad knees/ankles. My sneakers help with this. W/o properly fitted sneakers I couldn't run a mile.

13. If you're new to distance running, check in with your doctor and a chiropractor. Some injuries can be rectified if found quicker.

14. Don't listen to the haters. You want to do this. You CAN do this. You just need a plan and to stick to it.

Thanks again! I will be investing in a foam roller this week. So far havent needed it but then again im barely doing 4 mile walk/jogs with C25k. I have been trying different things for fueling and yes am super hungry all the freakin time now!! I believe I have a good plan in the works and from the advice of my brother who will run and has run many marathons, i believe I can do just fine! Thanks for your support! :heart:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Thanks again! I will be investing in a foam roller this week. So far havent needed it but then again im barely doing 4 mile walk/jogs with C25k. I have been trying different things for fueling and yes am super hungry all the freakin time now!! I believe I have a good plan in the works and from the advice of my brother who will run and has run many marathons, i believe I can do just fine! Thanks for your support! :heart:

As you were forced to admit earlier .. you're not really doing 4 miles with C25K since there no such thing as a 4 miler in a plan to reach only 3 miles. You're not even following that plan. Everything you claim you're doing supports the positions of those who warned you about overtraining.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

As you were forced to admit earlier .. you're not really doing 4 miles with C25K since there no such thing as a 4 miler in a plan to reach only 3 miles. You're not even following that plan. Everything you claim you're doing supports the positions of those who warned you about overtraining.

AND here we go again...as mentioned earlier.. lol.. I am following the plan to a T. I am doing 2.25 miles in the 30min of C25k. I walk for the rest of the 30 min. I am not trying to outrun anything. C25k in the first weeks only tells you to "jog" for "90 sec" its only in the later weeks does it tell you run "3 miles" etc etc etc. ..and yes I am finishing 4.1-4.2 miles when I do C25k (with the 30 min walk at the end). So you are telling me that I cannot move/walk/do anything on the day I do c25k? Really?: Overtraining? LOL......oook :) have a good day. Thanks for the laugh.
  • grumpyfitness
    grumpyfitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Body Glide !
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

AND here we go again...as mentioned earlier.. lol.. I am following the plan to a T. I am doing 2.25 miles in the 30min of C25k. I walk for the rest of the 30 min. I am not trying to outrun anything. C25k in the first weeks only tells you to "jog" for "90 sec" its only in the later weeks does it tell you run "3 miles" etc etc etc. ..and yes I am finishing 4.1-4.2 miles when I do C25k (with the 30 min walk at the end). So you are telling me that I cannot move/walk/do anything on the day I do c25k? Really?: Overtraining? LOL......oook :) have a good day. Thanks for the laugh.

So you're not following the plan to a T ... read your post then compare it to C25K. You've once again claimed to be doing things "with C25K" that are not part of it.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

So you're not following the plan to a T ... read your post then compare it to C25K. You've once again claimed to be doing things "with C25K" that are not part of it.

Sure boss. To make you happy. You are right. You are the all knowing. Thank you for gracing this forum with your knowledge. LMAO. You are soooooooooo right, I mean heaven forbid that I move after I run the C25k day, because ANY activity after, before, on the same day as..would just be crazy.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Body Glide !

Definitely! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So at what point in your overall training plan do you intend to transition from treadmill to running outside?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

But just wait for your next cut!