Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

You are right..im sure it will take alot of my time, but honestly this is for my health and I vowed to never put that on the back burner again. Luckily those around me are very supportive and dont make me feel like im doing something wrong, so it makes it so much easier .

I am currently 3 weeks out from my first Marathon (July 27th) I am a racing junky, I've done 2 half marathons and usually at least 2 races per month.

Marathon Training has eaten my life. I have a couple of halves late in the fall and I'll train up for them but as the long runs on the weekend get longer so do the not so long runs during the week and I've totally killed my schedule. I will not run another full marathon until we move closer to work and I can run before work durning the week. The marathon while challenging won't be quite as big a challenge as training has been, to my sleep, my sanity, and my logistical skills in making everything work. I am looking forward to it, especially after completing my 20 mile run this past weekend. I've been told if you can run 20, then the last 6.2 is just mental and I am nothing if not mental.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

You are right..im sure it will take alot of my time, but honestly this is for my health and I vowed to never put that on the back burner again. Luckily those around me are very supportive and dont make me feel like im doing something wrong, so it makes it so much easier .

I am currently 3 weeks out from my first Marathon (July 27th) I am a racing junky, I've done 2 half marathons and usually at least 2 races per month.

Marathon Training has eaten my life. I have a couple of halves late in the fall and I'll train up for them but as the long runs on the weekend get longer so do the not so long runs during the week and I've totally killed my schedule. I will not run another full marathon until we move closer to work and I can run before work durning the week. The marathon while challenging won't be quite as big a challenge as training has been, to my sleep, my sanity, and my logistical skills in making everything work. I am looking forward to it, especially after completing my 20 mile run this past weekend. I've been told if you can run 20, then the last 6.2 is just mental and I am nothing if not mental.

Wow 3 weeks out, how exciting! I mean Im only running minimally (c25k) and its already taking up my time, I can only imagine later in the game. lol. But I figure, 3 -4 hrs a day to dedicate to my workout wont kill me..I dont have kids to worry about or a husband, so I have the freedom to do whatever I want mostly. I have other things I dedicate my time too, pets, house and work, but with some planning I think I got this!

I look forward to your update on MFP about your marathon!!:)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The time you will spend training or doing related activities once you are in the meat of a marathon plan is staggering. A friend of mine told me she planned vacations for husband before beginning training so that she had enough martial capital to start training. I thought she was joking, but I can assure you she was not now that I'm in the thick of it. My wife comments on a regular basis about how much time and effort I am putting into it... not just the training, but all of the thinking and talking about it. Also, I hope you have a laundry machine and a lot of detergent.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    The time you will spend training or doing related activities once you are in the meat of a marathon plan is staggering. A friend of mine told me she planned vacations for husband before beginning training so that she had enough martial capital to start training. I thought she was joking, but I can assure you she was not now that I'm in the thick of it. My wife comments on a regular basis about how much time and effort I am putting into it... not just the training, but all of the thinking and talking about it. Also, I hope you have a laundry machine and a lot of detergent.

How funny...Yes, ive noticed I wash more gym clothes then regular clothes and gym clothes is my go to attire as soon as I get home. lol...

Like I had mentioned, Im pretty well supported. my brothers and my other half is super supportive and they get on me if im resting.."Arent you suppose to be running? , Rest day? So you are going to do nothing? , Make sure you are eating right because you have your runs ". So even when I dont feel like doing it, they are assuring I am. lol...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When is your first 20 minute run?
    FML , its this week...day 3.
    Go slow. Really, really slow. No, even slower than that. Think you can go faster? Don't, go slower. Conquer that mental time barrier and next time you can do it faster.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    When is your first 20 minute run?
    FML , its this week...day 3.
    Go slow. Really, really slow. No, even slower than that. Think you can go faster? Don't, go slower. Conquer that mental time barrier and next time you can do it faster.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

I feel like a turtle when I do run already because its super freaking hot and humid (Its been around 105+ degrees) at 8pm! Yesterday was my first jog of 5 min jog 3min walk for the full 31 min. I def will attempt going super slow, I want to conquer these 20 min!! Thanks for the tip:)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How's your training going OP?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    UPDATE ON MY TRAINING:

I actually finished C25K a week ago-well 2 now. C25k Had me finish with a 41 min run , I guess a mock 5k. I finished that. Ran for 3.1 miles non-stop AND with my cool down at end I ended at 3.25 miles.

I am now on Day 2 of C210K. It bumped up the time for 54 min. So I run 10 min, walk 1, run 10, walk 1 for 43. 5 min warmup and 5 min cool down (walking) . :) A total of 54 minutes!!

So far so good. Very mentally challenging. Day 1 I really had to push through...yesterday Day 2 was easier but still pushing through.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress, thanks for letting us know, keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Wow 3 weeks out, how exciting! I mean Im only running minimally (c25k) and its already taking up my time, I can only imagine later in the game. lol. But I figure, 3 -4 hrs a day to dedicate to my workout wont kill me..I dont have kids to worry about or a husband, so I have the freedom to do whatever I want mostly. I have other things I dedicate my time too, pets, house and work, but with some planning I think I got this!

Running doesn't suck up that much of your day. Granted my long run takes just about 2 hours right now but I start around 6 am so I'm done shortly after 8 am which leaves me tons of time to whatever I want the rest of the day. Currently I'm only spending about 6 hours a week with actual exercise and that's enough for me to put in 37 miles. Just take your workout pace and multiply that out and you'll know how much time you'll need in a week.

I'll probably increase that to 50 - 60 miles a week after it cools down but it doesn't really affect your life too much. Get up and get it done first thing in the morning and the rest of the day is all yours. Most people are sleeping in that time anyway. The only sucky part is needing to go to bed earlier but even then we're just talking about 11:00 - 11:30. Occasionally I get teased on the weekend when people stay up later but not too much.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    TONDq.gif
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to read through all of this... really only the last two pages... but OP, I thought I'd share this blog I wrote a while back. I STILL use all the tips I noted, and especially find them helpful when I've been away from the road for too long.

Maybe it will help you with that mental game.
    Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/running-my-bs-and-cs-to-breaking-through-the-wall-357514
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to read through all of this... really only the last two pages... but OP, I thought I'd share this blog I wrote a while back. I STILL use all the tips I noted, and especially find them helpful when I've been away from the road for too long.

Maybe it will help you with that mental game.
    Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/running-my-bs-and-cs-to-breaking-through-the-wall-357514

Thanks for posting again, Mirey! I always find it inspiring to read. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was here for part 1...

...might as well be here for part 2.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ill read that link. Welcome back jofjltncb6, even though your sarcasm may have erked me in the past.lol.

And..whoever posted that..yes you are right it doesnt take much time. I guess for me, a new runner, i hav to settle into that routine of running, eating , etc along with work and all my other errands I have to do in a day.

Im sure itll get easier.

I finish week 9 today and will start week 10 tomorrow. :) so far so good..chugging along!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ill read that link. Welcome back jofjltncb6, even though your sarcasm may have erked me in the past.lol.

And..whoever posted that..yes you are right it doesnt take much time. I guess for me, a new runner, i hav to settle into that routine of running, eating , etc along with work and all my other errands I have to do in a day.

Im sure itll get easier.

I finish week 9 today and will start week 10 tomorrow. :) so far so good..chugging along!

If you thought my part 1 sarcasm was thick...

...just wait until you see my part 2 sarcasm.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Im sure itll get easier.

If you thought my part 1 sarcasm was thick...

...just wait until you see my part 2 sarcasm.

ZzZzZz
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    Bump
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    In for reasons.

I've been running for a year and I STILL don't feel ready to train for a 1/2. (I'm training for a Tough Mudder and a local Trail 10k run). OP, you are much braver than I. Best of luck. :flowerforyou: