Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options
1252627282931»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    This popped into my head today and I am super curious to know how it all turned out. is OP still around?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This popped into my head today and I am super curious to know how it all turned out. is OP still around?

Looks like she never made it past a 5k.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Duh. Never mind. Didn't notice this thread was a year old. Sigh.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    She stopped posting about her training in September ... hasn't posted at all since November.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    She stopped posting about her training in September ... hasn't posted at all since November.

She could probably update but she hasn't been posting much publicly recently. Between health issues and nursing school, she just hasn't had much to say publicly. She is on my friends list and so I know she is still around and she has posted comments from time to time.

I will pass this along: she completed a half-marathon about 4 months ago. She realized that a full marathon was just not in the cards as well as a few other things that she didn't count on. And as for the actual half-marathon, she did well for her first experience at that distance and learned a few things first hand from those of you who were trying to give a dose of reality from your experience. She probably benefitted from that.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the OP hasn't given up totally. It just takes time to get there. That's all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Late to the party but it's nice to get an update. Thanks @STrooper . My gut feeling from reading the initial post is that a full marathon is too much for a rookie. That she completed a half-marathon is a major achievement. Best of success in her studies.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    @waffle...no she hasn't, but life is considerably more complicated for her now than it was when she first thought about taking on this challenge.

@jgnatca

Yes, a full marathon can be too much for a rookie, but....

I leapt in with both feet (so to speak) at age 59-60. But I also had three solid years of walking and hiking with a pack at more than 10 miles per day, every single day (on average). Those three years prepared the joints and some of the muscles for the five months of training to run my very first marathon. I discovered very quickly that running uses some different muscles in addition to the ones that were already well conditioned. The longest race I had ever run was a 10K (though the longest hikes I had done were in the 15-19 mile range with a 20-50 pound pack).

I ran that first one and felt like I did more than just survive it (even though I suffered an injury during the race). I have continued to train and have run six more, though I can't say I've ever attempted to run at my maximal output except once where things didn't go so well.