Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ok. To catch everybody up, about 80% of the run-verse of MFP has encouraged the OP to do a half this year and a marathon the next based on the physiology of running adaptations.

There has also been advice on doing Galloway training or joining Team in Training as other bits of insight, knowledge, experience and motivation.

There is a lot of good stuff in the original thread.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    ...still reading
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hello shiny new thread!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Also still reading
  • cliftonx14
    cliftonx14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do

I ran my first this past May, and I couldn't have been more happy when it was over. Lol. I ended up going to bed at 7 p.m. that night, and not waking up until 7 a.m. the next morning. Best sleep ever.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Some really great practical ideas for a beginner wanting to progress to a marathon within a year.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/10-tips-for-beginning-marathoners?cid=social_20140707_27363546

Still here OP? How was this weekend's long run?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some really great practical ideas for a beginner wanting to progress to a marathon within a year.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/10-tips-for-beginning-marathoners?cid=social_20140707_27363546

Still here OP? How was this weekend's long run?

I think she's on week 5 of C25k, so she would have just master the 20 minute run.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Ok, Im back and caught up to reading. I was on a mini vacay and my service sucked!

To update, Im on week 5 of C25k, which I normally begin on Monday and it was storming yesterday and the day before I could not get out to run. Monsoon season in AZ is not fun. Within minutes it floods and lighting and thunder, so I opted to not run. lol.

Week 4 was difficult because I was battling a whole new set of obstacles. Higher elevation (not fun for my lungs), different surface (pavement as opposed to dirt like normal), weather - super super humid, and hilly courses. I did get it done and tried not to stop at all. I ran very slowly up the hills, but kept one foot in front of the other.

Thank you for that person that mentioned about the "time" it would take to dedicate to training. I have noticed. So far so good. Sometimes I do feel alone because everyone is asleep or going to breakfast, but I have put everyone else in my life in front of me all the time, and this is my time to do what I want to do for me :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Ok. To catch everybody up, about 80% of the run-verse of MFP has encouraged the OP to do a half this year and a marathon the next based on the physiology of running adaptations.

There has also been advice on doing Galloway training or joining Team in Training as other bits of insight, knowledge, experience and motivation.

There is a lot of good stuff in the original thread.

Yes! Thank you for updating. First time one of my threads continued for so long, not sure how it worked :). Also, I have signed up for a 5k in September and will be doing a half marathon along the way. A high recommendation from runners on the forum. I was very general when i posted (come to find out later) and only mentioned I would run a full marathon . I figured running smaller races along the way was a good idea but it was reconfirmed as the suggestions/recommendations also grew for this advice.

Thanks again all who are still reading!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ok, Im back and caught up to reading. I was on a mini vacay and my service sucked!

To update, Im on week 5 of C25k, which I normally begin on Monday and it was storming yesterday and the day before I could not get out to run. Monsoon season in AZ is not fun. Within minutes it floods and lighting and thunder, so I opted to not run. lol.

Week 4 was difficult because I was battling a whole new set of obstacles. Higher elevation (not fun for my lungs), different surface (pavement as opposed to dirt like normal), weather - super super humid, and hilly courses. I did get it done and tried not to stop at all. I ran very slowly up the hills, but kept one foot in front of the other.

Thank you for that person that mentioned about the "time" it would take to dedicate to training. I have noticed. So far so good. Sometimes I do feel alone because everyone is asleep or going to breakfast, but I have put everyone else in my life in front of me all the time, and this is my time to do what I want to do for me :)

Never run in lightening. Running in rain is awesome, however.

Week four can be difficult - especially if you are going too fast. Week 5 is the beginning of the mental game.

Once you get used to running in your life, the social part will shake itself out. As you get into the second half of your half training and into your marathon training you will be doing nothing else. But the general running part won't be an issue in a year.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Never run in lightening. Running in rain is awesome, however.

Week four can be difficult - especially if you are going too fast. Week 5 is the beginning of the mental game.

Once you get used to running in your life, the social part will shake itself out. As you get into the second half of your half training and into your marathon training you will be doing nothing else. But the general running part won't be an issue in a year.

Yeah it was crazy weather and just not "dancing in the rain" type weather so I opted out. I looked at week 5 and assumed it was the same all 3 days but its not. Day 1 is jogging 5 min, 3 min walk for the 31 min. Day 2 is Jogging 3/4 of a mile or 8 min...and that will be my mental challenge.

You are right..im sure it will take alot of my time, but honestly this is for my health and I vowed to never put that on the back burner again. Luckily those around me are very supportive and dont make me feel like im doing something wrong, so it makes it so much easier .
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When is your first 20 minute run?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

FML , its this week...day 3.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Sorry about that. Each plan is different, so I wasn't sure. I was lucky enough not to have a "friend" give me a head's up.

The thing is...you are completely prepared for it. You know how to slow down and get through it by this point. You have the aerobic conditioning. You just need to prove to yourself that you can do it.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Sorry about that. Each plan is different, so I wasn't sure. I was lucky enough not to have a "friend" give me a head's up.

The thing is...you are completely prepared for it. You know how to slow down and get through it by this point. You have the aerobic conditioning. You just need to prove to yourself that you can do it.

You are right. Physically , Im not scared, its the mental weakness that is going to be my greatest challenge.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You are right. Physically , Im not scared, its the mental weakness that is going to be my greatest challenge.

A lot of people repeat Week 4 until they feel "ready." But they never feel ready. And they quit.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

A lot of people repeat Week 4 until they feel "ready." But they never feel ready. And they quit.

Well I cant quit now, Im already 4 weeks in :) . I will def try 110% to finish each day. I dont plan on repeating week 4, but maybe ill repeat week 5 . lol.......
  • likitisplit
    Options

Well I cant quit now, Im already 4 weeks in :) . I will def try 110% to finish each day. I dont plan on repeating week 4, but maybe ill repeat week 5 . lol.......

Nah. Just trust yourself and the program and get through it.

You might consider cutting back on the accessory walk the run before though.