Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Check out Parkrun (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/) for free 5Ks every week at a park near you.

great link
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Anybody eat fried chicken before a marathon?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    For you, DavPul

Shain_tire_Buckwild_animated_gif.gif

i'm just...looking for....the unsubscribe button?
    Why do you waste your time coming back to this forum?

What makes you think this is a waste of my time? Why are you so judgemental of me? Are we not all here for the same thing?

We haven't had a quality mean people thread in a few days...
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Okay, so a no on the fried chicken. I get it; meanies, stinking people. Anybody eat squid prior to a marathon?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Check out Parkrun (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/) for free 5Ks every week at a park near you.

great link

The closest one to me is Clermont Florida. Sigh. SUCH a good idea.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Okay, so a no on the fried chicken. I get it; meanies, stinking people. Anybody eat squid prior to a marathon?

I know people who have eaten sushi and that's kind of the same thing.

Are you talking about the night before or the morning of?

I'd avoid fried foods the night before. The morning of: Dunkin Donuts coffee and a plain cream cheese bagel. The pre-race breakfast of runners everywhere.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    217891765_1286222.gif?4

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Night before: 10k's I usually eat noodles(pasta) and a protein or two, morning of usually oatmeal bake, coffee. Last year I took a microwave to a run in Annapolis(get little cranky with cold oatmeal). It's interesting what some folks eat pre-race. And friend chicken?!? Nope I wouldn't want it in my system just was moving the thread along since it was dying a slow painful death. This is one of the better threads for first time runners/walkers of a long distance like a marathon.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Night before: 10k's I usually eat noodles(pasta) and a protein or two, morning of usually oatmeal bake, coffee. Last year I took a microwave to a run in Annapolis(get little cranky with cold oatmeal). It's interesting what some folks eat pre-race. And friend chicken?!? Nope I wouldn't want it in my system just was moving the thread along since it was dying a slow painful death. This is one of the better threads for first time runners/walkers of a long distance like a marathon.

There is a lot of good information in here that you'd need to find piecemeal other places.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    True; it is a good thread. Hopefully newer runners and walkers read the thread. Granted, it may take a while, but worth it.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

A few weeks ago I had a 10 mile training run on a Sunday. The day before we went out for fish at a lobster shack type place. Fried scallops, fried clams, onion rings, the whole greasy mess. I didn't have digestive issues the next day but 2 1/2 miles into the run with a fully stocked hydration belt I was suffering the effects of dehydration no matter how much I drank. I blame the crap I ate the day before. I've ran further, I've ran hotter, and I've ran harder, but that day I was just not on my game. My 10 mile run quickly became the one 3.5 mile loop around the lake and that quickly became a 3 mile run and a half mile walk.

Don't eat crap on the day before a run kids...
  • likitisplit
    Options

A few weeks ago I had a 10 mile training run on a Sunday. The day before we went out for fish at a lobster shack type place. Fried scallops, fried clams, onion rings, the whole greasy mess. I didn't have digestive issues the next day but 2 1/2 miles into the run with a fully stocked hydration belt I was suffering the effects of dehydration no matter how much I drank. I blame the crap I ate the day before. I've ran further, I've ran hotter, and I've ran harder, but that day I was just not on my game. My 10 mile run quickly became the one 3.5 mile loop around the lake and that quickly became a 3 mile run and a half mile walk.

Don't eat crap on the day before a run kids...

At least not before a long run. Otherwise, I'm not sure when I'd be able to fit the crap in :wink:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just like to wish you good luck.

I'm one of those people who aim high and although I take my time I finish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I had McDonalds, Tim Hortons, ChickfilA, and Carrabbas all in the day before running the Cleveland half in May. I hadn't trained to PR, but I did pull a 1:44 out of the fiasco nonetheless.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I had McDonalds, Tim Hortons, ChickfilA, and Carrabbas all in the day before running the Cleveland half in May. I hadn't trained to PR, but I did pull a 1:44 out of the fiasco nonetheless.

That's what you eat every day.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

That's what you eat every day.

tumblr_inline_n61yxvlJjE1r2zxvb.gif
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Just like to wish you good luck.

I'm one of those people who aim high and although I take my time I finish.

Thank you :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Night before: 10k's I usually eat noodles(pasta) and a protein or two, morning of usually oatmeal bake, coffee.
    I'll probably run 10k in the morning. I had chicken enchilada and a beer for lunch. Maybe I'll have some orange chicken for dinner. It won't matter one bit. You don't need to alter your diet for a 10k. Just eat whatever you normally eat from day to day. Just don't drink your weight in alcohol the night before.
    And friend chicken?!? Nope I wouldn't want it in my system
    Why would you eat your friends. I don't even know what it means to have a friend in your system. That's just odd.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Night before: 10k's I usually eat noodles(pasta) and a protein or two, morning of usually oatmeal bake, coffee.
    I'll probably run 10k in the morning. I had chicken enchilada and a beer for lunch. Maybe I'll have some orange chicken for dinner. It won't matter one bit. You don't need to alter your diet for a 10k. Just eat whatever you normally eat from day to day. Just don't drink your weight in alcohol the night before.
    Why would you eat your friends. I don't even know what it means to have a friend in your system. That's just odd.

I had a friend run a 5k with me after a New Year's celebration. At about 2 miles in, she was talking about wanting somebody to write a book of advice with that piece of info in there.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Hi, friend.

:wink: