Qualifed for Boston- don't say good job

Replies

• kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Because no one else is going to be as insanely hard on yourself as you are.

You have a lot to be proud of. You deserve to be. Not beating yourself up over a few minutes in a marathon.

Dave-

Here is your answer ;)

I see what you did here :drinker:

Also, my hat's off to anyone who runs a marathon ever. No matter what the time. It is a huge accomplishment and effort for anyone.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Seriously, though, what I was trying to say (obviously not very well) is that if you honestly were shooting for a 3:20 and you only ran a 3:27, you are probably disappointed. Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that than to just say "good job"?

So let's say your kid worked really hard on a school project. He spent hours trying to get it right because he was shooting for an A. And, he learned so much in the process. But, at the end of the day, some of the other kids really kicked butt, too. So, he got a B+. Missed it by a point or two.

Are you going to tell your kid that he didn't do a good job?

How else would you react? He should not feel proud of a B+ when the goal was an A.

Perfection only. Never settle for second best,
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    A few months ago, I Qualifed for the boston marathon. I ran a 3:27. It was a 16 min PR. However, my goal was to run a 3:20. I did not reach my goal therefore it was a terrible race, and I don't appreciate people telling me good job..

They CLEARLY didn't know my goals... A 3:27 Boston Wualifuing marathon time is nothing to congratulate me for when I should have been running at least sub 3:20.

Why don't people get it?!?

I like you. But, clearly not for your running skills.

+1 :-P
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Honestly, unless you WON the Boston Marathon, you shouldn't be congratulated. I mean, isn't that your goal? If not, your goals suck as much as your running does.

(says the girl who can't run... at all)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    May as well give up ;-)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    A few months ago, I Qualifed for the boston marathon. I ran a 3:27. It was a 16 min PR. However, my goal was to run a 3:20. I did not reach my goal therefore it was a terrible race, and I don't appreciate people telling me good job..

They CLEARLY didn't know my goals... A 3:27 Boston Wualifuing marathon time is nothing to congratulate me for when I should have been running at least sub 3:20.

I live in Boston and usually don't go to the Marathon but if you tell me your number, I'll make sure to go with everyone I know and boo and hiss when you run by if that makes you feel better.

On another note, your post is now my gold standard for humblebragging.

Please do. I deserve to be humiliated for not meeting my goals.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Seriously, though, what I was trying to say (obviously not very well) is that if you honestly were shooting for a 3:20 and you only ran a 3:27, you are probably disappointed. Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that than to just say "good job"?

So let's say your kid worked really hard on a school project. He spent hours trying to get it right because he was shooting for an A. And, he learned so much in the process. But, at the end of the day, some of the other kids really kicked butt, too. So, he got a B+. Missed it by a point or two.

How else would you react? He should not feel proud of a B+ when the goal was an A.

An effort which can be improved upon is not your best effort; all we ask is that you do your best.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member

I live in Boston and usually don't go to the Marathon but if you tell me your number, I'll make sure to go with everyone I know and boo and hiss when you run by if that makes you feel better.

You sure do need to be humliated for not meeting your goals. Absolutely terrible.

...but if you are so embarassed by it why do you have that in your 'about me' section? I mean, come on, it was so awful I would think you would bury that result.

Nice try though trying to get people to tell you how well ya did. Let me guess, you also want to tell people about how fat you are and need to lose weight blah blah blah to illicit compliments?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    If I had known your goals before the race.. I would have laughed at you then too ... set some proper goals next time .. whimp :-p
  • Seriously, though, what I was trying to say (obviously not very well) is that if you honestly were shooting for a 3:20 and you only ran a 3:27, you are probably disappointed. Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that than to just say "good job"?

This is all being laid on everyone so thick I honestly think it’s just a plea for attention and its pretty sad. But clearly it worked.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member

You sure do need to be humliated for not meeting your goals. Absolutely terrible.

...but if you are so embarassed by it why do you have that in your 'about me' section? I mean, come on, it was so awful I would think you would bury that result.

Nice try though trying to get people to tell you how well ya did. Let me guess, you also want to tell people about how fat you are and need to lose weight blah blah blah to illicit compliments?

derp_ed19a1_792429.jpg
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member

Look, this isn't the point. The kid is disappointed. What I was complaining (badly) about is the equivalent of your crying kid coming home with his disappointing B+ and you saying "Great job" and going about your business, ignoring anything else he has to say.

All I was trying to suggest is that in this case you might say something like "I realize you were trying for an A, but you have to realize that a B+ means you did a really great job, even if it wasn't quite as good as you hoped for."

And now I am going to shut up about this topic forever.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

Were you dropped on your head as a child?
  • A few months ago, I Qualifed for the boston marathon. I ran a 3:27. It was a 16 min PR. However, my goal was to run a 3:20. I did not reach my goal therefore it was a terrible race, and I don't appreciate people telling me good job..

You said it! It's clear its all for attention.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member

I know, right. The kid should be shamed, grounded, and probably spanked with a belt for getting that B+ when his goal was an A.

Is that what you are getting at? Do you want spanked?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    This is like threadception
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stop posting in french then and I will understand your goals better.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Don't worry, no one cares.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member

Look, this isn't the point. The kid is disappointed. What I was complaining (badly) about is the equivalent of your crying kid coming home with his disappointing B+ and you saying "Great job" and going about your business, ignoring anything else he has to say.

All I was trying to suggest is that in this case you might say something like "I realize you were trying for an A, but you have to realize that a B+ means you did a really great job, even if it wasn't quite as good as you hoped for."

If you believe the bold part to be a compliment, we have a different understanding of what that means.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    I'm jelly of your disappointing time.

The scenery is probably better around my pace time anyway :(
    (trying to make myself feel better)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

While I adore the people on my FL, they are not my children and I only have so much time and energy to devote to digging into their comments and feelings.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Do you even Fartlek?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    This is like threadception

There is a glitch in the Matrix...

7NvZR.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Because no one else is going to be as insanely hard on yourself as you are.

You have a lot to be proud of. You deserve to be. Not beating yourself up over a few minutes in a marathon.

Dave-

Here is your answer ;)

I think I missed something.

She's laughing with her friends because someone (me) was dumb enough to fall for her post.

It's okay. I give your post a B+. Good job!

You would have gotten an A, but you let yourself get trolled. Now be ashamed of yourself!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    At least you qualified. I got winded just looking at the registration. :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

I love how you end up giving your kid the praise that you don't think he deserves anyway. LOL!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Funny.....I looked at the pic and even before I read it, there was something in her expression that I saw as "I suck, but in reality I did well, but I need a confidence booster." Is this one of those posts?

There is something to be said about judging the book by the cover. Sometimes it's true.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member

derp_ed19a1_792429.jpg
    :drinker:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    It sounds to me like you are a fantastic runner...from the neck down.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member

tumblr_m4bxpxlZwa1qakgigo1_400.jpg