So many people with respectively high final GWs....

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.
    Why are you so worried about other peoples goals? There are many reasons their goal weight maybe different to what you consider ideal. Going from 350 to 175 is a huge achievement. How do you know that's just not the initial goal and they are going to reassess when they get there?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Who the hell are you to judge?

I think for a 350 pound person getting down to 175 would be a fantastic goal and accomplisment and I'd applaud them every step of the way.

In fact I think it's much more reasonable and doesn't set people up for disappointment.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Maybe try reaching your goal before chastising others for not having good enough goals.

This times a lot.

Goals are personal.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Some people decide to set smaller goals rather than one big goal because it's easier for them. You may decide to set one big goal because it's easier for you.

Don't judge. :explode: It causes tension.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know. I don't get it either. Once you pick a goal you're stuck with that goal forever and ever and yet here we are with people settling in the goals department. It's a shame really.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

Okay Judgy McJudgerson. You know that they can decide at a later date to lower it. I think you should worry less about others goals and more about your own. Even if they decide to stick with a goal that's still overweight or obese it's better than they used to be.

By the way I am overweight for my height. I also have 20% body fat, which is athletic for a woman. To get into the healthy range I would be very close to almost unhealthy levels of body fat. One size does not fit all when it comes to weight ranges.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

You must have all the life experience in the world, thus able to pass judgement on anyone's goals that are not considered up to standard.
    *Edited to say that if a 5'4" obese woman went from 350 to 175, she should be celebrated. Not judged for not getting low enough. If she wants to get lower great, if not that is her choice.

tumblr_ms9xh2VyS21syeot2o1_400.gif
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR THE FIRST BODY SHAMING TOPIC OF THURSDAY!

From a 20 year old.

Who has a lot of life experience.

This. Mind your own effing business pls. Thank you and that is all.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Oh yes indeed. Let's all get skinny, we know that's the only way a girl can be attractive! I'm not surprised you especially mentioned women. :noway:
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Personal goal, personal issue. A person is perfectly capable of deciding what is best for them, that's why its their goal and not yours.

By your thinking someone else might criticize you for setting too low of a goal weight. Perspective.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    You can't win no matter what you do, honestly. When I put my goal weight, I was told it was unrealistic. I'm reaching that goal because I know I can, but should I not, that falls on me.

Let people put their goals at whatever they wish. It doesn't impact you AT all.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Wow. You've really got it all figured out huh?

I've been at this for 4 years and am still 40-ish lbs from my "goal".

My 1st real victory was losing that initial 10 lbs.

Get over it.

OP, this post was a lame excuse for motivation.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I 50 % agree with you. My goal was 150 (currently 124). I remeber being that weight and looking/feeling good. Once I got there I realized I could keep doing this and get better.

And I did.

People need to do things in their time and their way.

Everyone starts somewhere.

I agree with you in the fact that if they do get to their goal weight and are still overweight they should keep going.

I'm at my goal body fat (20%) and I'm overweight. I think that we should stop trying to shove people into categories and celebrate that they are healthy or at least healthier than they used to be.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Someone who has always been overweight doesn't know what goal weight to set. And, really, it doesn't matter because I think most reevaluate when they reach it, anyway.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

You're assuming that the said GW is their FINAL goal. That's simply not true alot of the time. A lot of times they set a goal and when they reach it, they set another. That's the difference between GW (Goal Weight) and UGW (Ultimate Goal Weight).
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    MYOFB

ETA: and exactly how are my goals any of your concern?
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Hey, I'm just shy of 5'3" and my goal is 175! Allow me to illuminate my reasons for you, since you desperately seem to care about other people's reasons. (I assume, of course, that you aren't just concern-trolling -- why on earth would anyone do that?)

1. I value how I feel more than how a chart says I should feel, Frankly, I feel great at 238 here and have excellent health markers, but it's not my goal, so I'm not stopping.
    2. Related, there is more to well-being than a number, I don't define my well-being by a chart.
    3. Honestly, I'm willing to do the work to be 175, but do not have the interest or discipline to get down to the 130 - 120 range that is "healthy" for my weight. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

And like most people have said: setting goals is not a linear, one-time process. It's a succession of trying, achieving, and reevaluating. Someone might get to 175 and decide to keep trying. They also might not. In any case, they're still doing an awesome job at changing their lives by their own terms. :D
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    People have different body types, and you don't seem to be accounting for body composition. I am 5'7." I am "technically" supposed to be around 135-140, but I look ridiculously skinny if I go below 160. It isn't cute at all.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    dowager_zps34c4e037.gif