So many people with respectively high final GWs....

Options

Replies

• purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WOW! Aren't you a judgemental missy today. Well, probably every day considering your post. My goal fluctuates and has been adjusted several times. My goal was actually quite high (even higher than my current goal) - given to me by MY doctor who I think knows just a little bit more than you do about my life, my stats, my needs, my health! My goal can be changed at any given time. My goal needs to suit me! My goal ...... is none of your effing business!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    My GW is pretty high in many people's opinion, but not mine.
    And I reached it!
    And I've maintained it for a year and a half!
    And I effing rock!! :drinker:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

That isn't even close to accurate. Everyone will look different at certain weight. And, while there are measures in place that determine what's healthy and what's not, those aren't very accurate for those will higher LBM. Weight plays a part in someone's goals, but shouldn't be the only thing considered. Body fat percentage is a much better gauge. If someone is 350 now and they can get down to 175 with 18-24% BF, then why would that be a bad thing.

ETA: I also don't necessarily agree with picking a goal weight unless you are competing and need to make a certain weight class.
  • sealionwoman23
    Options
    I know. I don't get it either. Once you pick a goal you're stuck with that goal forever and ever and yet here we are with people settling in the goals department. It's a shame really.

HAHA! A true shame indeed!

Ok, my two cents. I know my goal weight is higher than what it could be, but honestly I have been overweight my whole adult life and I really don't know what my body will be like when I get there. So I picked a goal weight that I KNOW I can achieve, that will increase my quality of life, and that will put me in a much healthier range. Then, I will obviously reevaluate when I get there. A huge part of setting goals is making them attainable.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    We meet again, Judgey McJudgerson.

I'm looking to drop to about 100-105kg. I'm 5'9". Come at me bro.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So, at risk of being unpopular via not being super pissed at the OP, I'd like to respond with my own personal experience of setting a "realistic goal".

I'm 5'4", pushing 40 with two kids and thought being 130 was almost beyond my grasp. So that was my goal. Now my goal is 118. Kind of arbitrary, but I'd like to be able to say I lost 50 lbs. If I don't get to that weight, I'm OK with that. I'm mostly trying to gain better fitness while getting rid of some jiggly bumpy stuff.

I think people may set higher weight goals than is maybe "healthy", because to think beyond that 175 (per your example) or whatever, seems virtually impossible from a very heavy starting point. But like someone else said, the beauty of goal setting is that they can change or be added to. And once you attain one, you are empowered to reach for another.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    We meet again, Judgey McJudgerson.

I'm looking to drop to about 100-105kg. I'm 5'9". Come at me bro.

:drinker:
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I 50 % agree with you. My goal was 150 (currently 124). I remeber being that weight and looking/feeling good. Once I got there I realized I could keep doing this and get better.

And I did.

People need to do things in their time and their way.

Everyone starts somewhere.

I agree with you in the fact that if they do get to their goal weight and are still overweight they should keep going.

I took this similarly. I think it's weird when some people say that they think they'll look "gaunt" or "sickly skinny" if they get to a weight that is still technically overweight.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    LOL

Ok OP, where should I send my goals to so you can evaluate them and tell me if they are truly worthy or not? Cause obviously I am just DYING for your approval.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Soooo OP, you started and 160, and you're going to judge someone for setting the initial goal of losing MORE THAN YOUR ENTIRE BODY WEIGHT. Right.
  • elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me it's that small goals seem more achievable. It's too overwhelming to think that I need to lose 85lbs. It's not that I'm going to stop after losing only 25lbs, but time frame wise it seems more attainable. Once I reach that goal then I move on to the next goal and so on. But whether I lose 5lbs or 50lbs it is still a victory for me and you have no right to claim it is not a "right" or "big" one.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    LOL

Ok OP, where should I send my goals to so you can evaluate them and tell me if they are truly worthy or not? Cause obviously I am just DYING for your approval.

My approval. You have it.

tumblr_masgq6hvLO1qk1j3lo1_500.gif
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Soooo OP, you started and 160, and you're going to judge someone for setting the initial goal of losing MORE THAN YOUR ENTIRE BODY WEIGHT. Right.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of those higher goals are just milestones. They aren't going to stop there, they just don't want to make an intermediate goalpost so there ticker will actually move a little faster. :-P

My previous attempts with MFP were like that - I'd set it for 10% lighter and then change it when I got there. Well, except I never got there. lol
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel better when I see other people around me setting higher goals.
    First of all it's nice to get reassured that you don't have to get to your ideal weight to get your weightloss validated, and it's nice knowing that you can feel proud of yourself even if you could still be skinnier or healthier. It makes you focus on the process rather than on the result, which is great in my opinion.
    It's also better than setting unrealistically low goals, because if you have a few other kgs to lose, you can always lose them afterwards.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 145 and my GW is 350. Is that high enough?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I might also note that some people have no idea what their body is capable of. If you've never seen a certain number on a scale before, if you've always been overweight, you just don't KNOW what the final goal weight should be. There's nothing wrong with moving the goal posts as you go.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How is someone else's goal weight any of your business?

+1 :flowerforyou:
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much what other people do? Focus on your own goals and let them worry about theirs.

^ This! And who are you to judge?

My current goal weight is 199. Most people would think that a women, no matter what height, shouldn't weigh 200 pounds as it is technically considered "overweigh" or "obese." However, when I was 215 my Dr. said she would like me to get to 200, that it would be a good weight for me.

I am 6'1" larger frame, and at the time was very muscular. Maybe when I reach 199 I will adjust my goal. But if I am happy there then I won't.

FYI - This Board is called "Motivation and Support"
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    smith.gif