So many people with respectively high final GWs....

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

I sincerely hope that this is a troll acct.

However if not, and I will say this as politely as possible; the goals that others set for themselves is just that, for them. If a person is starting at 350 lbs or 150 lbs, their goal is theirs. It's none of your concern.

Stop worrying about them and focus on yourself. If their aspirations bother you, than surround yourself with people that you are more comfortable with.

Have a nice day.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Why are you judging someone else's goals? I am 5'2 and I was thin at 145 lbs. I carried it well and had a lot of muscle from my job.

I'd be happy as a pig in **** to be 175 right now at my height. Sure beats 200+
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    I've got no problem with extremely obese people setting conservative goals. When they get closer to success they'll know if they want to adjust them.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Considering OP has made the initial post only.....I call Troll!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Listen here Judgy McJudgerpants, personal goals are exactly that... personal.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    All the responses here are like sliding into a sweet bubble bath of pure win. Ahhhhhhhhh.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Butthurt everywhere. Calm down people.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Try looking at it this way. If I'm at XXX a goal of X may seem unreachable, so I set a goal of XX. Once I reach XX, then a goal of X may seem reachable, so I set a new goal. A smaller success seems more attainable than setting one large goal that may take what seems like way too long to attain. Smaller goals reachable within a reasonable timeframe can help keep you on track.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    So I set my goal for 180, maybe 170 if i am feeling ambitious. How do you know that that would make me obese? Do YOU know my BF%? DO you know my body composition and the weight of my muscles and bones in comparison to my fat? Maybe I'll have 20 extra pounds of skin after losing over 100 pounds? Hmm?

I don't know if you were trying to be inspirational and have your own "Fat girl at the track" moment but it backfired just as harshly as that did.

We do not need your approval for our weightloss goals. Losing weight for many of us is so so much more then simply "losing weight" for many of us we are releasing the past. Each pound lost is a moment in our life where we let go of one of our bad choices. Each pound lost brings us another ounce of confidence. Each pound lost is a slap in the face for every person who called us lazy, who hurt us, who broke us down.

So how DARE you belittle our victories. Just because you were not happy at 160 does not mean that "He' or "She" cannot be happy at 160. Because to me, or to many of us, our goal weight, not matter what it is, is a victory because we overcame our own trials and tribulations.

Good luck with your fitness aspirations, OP. I genuinely hope you are able to obtain them and find the peace, happiness, and victory you seek, just as I wish this for every person on here NO MATTER WHAT THEIR FITNESS GOALS ARE. (this, of course, excludes goals that support eating disorders because those are not fitness oriented and deserve proper help and medical attention, but I will support overcoming the disease)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Maybe try reaching your goal before chastising others for not having good enough goals.

giphy.gif

reaching goals can help keep people motivated.
    reach one. set another.

once you reach your weight goal, you should set an "improve your attitude" goal.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Maybe try reaching your goal before chastising others for not having good enough goals.

giphy.gif

reaching goals can help keep people motivated.
    reach one. set another.

once you reach your weight goal, you should set an "improve your attitude" goal.

Ah, to be 20 again and know it all. Must be nice to be a weight loss expert after losing 21 whole pounds. :laugh:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I have a goal of eventually bench pressing 125. Is that acceptable, OP?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    I see it a lot with women, especially. For example, a 5'4" female starts out with a weight of 350 pounds, and her goal is to get to 175 pounds. That's still obese! I see this a lot where people set goal weights when they are probably underestimating their potential! I understand people want to set realistic goals, but why go so far when you only just a little more to go before your REAL moment of victory? The "healthy" range! Really, if you've set a high final goal weight, consider the fact that with a little more time, you can do even more than that! All it takes is a little more time.

You know, a 50% reduction in body size is pretty im....what's that? OP is 20? Oh, i'm sorry. She clearly knows everything, as i did at that age. Carry on:flowerforyou:
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    How do you know they won't set themselves another goal, after they reach their first one?

Some people like to take baby steps, so they aren't so overwhelmed by the process. Its their journey, not yours.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    I'm not one to judge someone else's goals, personally. I think goals like cutting your weight in HALF or more is substantial and is a great goal to have. I think what you're not realizing is that our goals are constantly changing. Just because that's someone's initial GW, doesn't mean that when they reach it they won't reassess and figure out they want to do more. Or maybe they're totally satisfied with it, that's for them to decide.

And what is a "REAL" moment of victory anyway? Can you really decide that for other people?
    ^This and I feel it is bettwer to set short and long range goals to allow you to accomplish some satisfaction or achievement. I try to consider the impact of whatever is before an individual and realize that whatever they do, it is their choice (except my kids and them I badger to death - got a job/go to college/hurry up and get out!) - :laugh:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Tell me more about how you're the expert on other people's goals...........
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    My goal was to lose 5 pounds. I just did it 14 times. Grand total of 70 pounds. Not once did I set a goal of 70.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Well, aren't you just a peach. Focus on your goals, not everyone else's. The beauty of the goals we set is in that they are not concrete and can be re-evaluated.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    So...let me just get this straight...you don't think they should be able to keep changing their goals, they should just set one number according to your standards which are...what? Because in another post on another thread you seem to be advocating people to eat UNDER 1200...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305199-calories-add-up-too-fast

Me and you are similar. I am eating the minimum at 1200/day, though sometimes it goes as low as 800. I do not see any negative side effects from eating only 800 calories in a day every once in a while so long as I am full. Most days I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories.

(Edited because it was food diary stuff...)

Stay away from BUTTER, OILS, and NUTS because all of those things will burn through your calories like nothing! Cheese can be pretty bad too if you don't watch it. Don't drink any liquid calories either.

There is NOTHING wrong with butter, oils, nuts, etc. I eat them on a regular and I'm losing weight and inches. I am also eating the proper amount.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Personally I've been at both... I set mine where I felt best at. That and my PT said if I went to my "healthy weight chart" weight I would look sick. It's my goal... if I get lower following my lifestyle then so be it. You do what you want with your goal :)