November Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I actually JOGGED today! I only did it for about a minute to a minute and a half but dang it I JOGGED! I I'm not sure it's very smart for someone who weighs 323 lbs to jog, considering how much strain it puts on my ankles, knees, and joints. So I might have to lose some more weight before trying that again. On a side note - I've been on this challenge for 3 days now and have already done 8 miles! Yay! :D I'm proud of myself! Guys, if a 300+ lb woman can walk that far you guys can too! :D heheh

@Stacy: If you keep up with logging your calories and with the walking, you're not going to be a 300+ woman much longer. Walking is the best exercise there is for weight loss, so I don't think you need to run and put strain on your body. Instead of jogging better walk some more or walk more often.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Another 3 miles for me today! The Sweetie and I went to San Francisco and walked the trails in Golden Gate Park. OMG it's SO PRETTY there! Guess what guys? I actually JOGGED today! I only did it for about a minute to a minute and a half but dang it I JOGGED! I know that sounds ridiculous to be happy about something that "small" but I weighed 300 lbs by the time I was in high school and haven't been able to run or jog in my adult life. So yeah, I'm SO JAZZED. I'm not sure it's very smart for someone who weighs 323 lbs to jog, considering how much strain it puts on my ankles, knees, and joints. So I might have to lose some more weight before trying that again. I don't know. All I know is that I LOVED it and I didn't want to stop but was afraid I'd injure myself if I didn't. I need to try and find some professional advice about that.

On a side note - I've been on this challenge for 3 days now and have already done 8 miles! Yay! :D I'm proud of myself! Two weeks ago *before starting the challenge* I beat my own record and actually went for SIX MILES! Guys, if a 300+ lb woman can walk that far you guys can too! :D heheh

It's not stupid AT ALL to be excited about that. When I started running I had to celebrate 30 second runs. My first mile was nothing short of a miracle. I was thrilled with myself for days. It's all about where you're at and what you can measure as a success. Own it girl, YOU ROCK! :)
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Just checking in, I'll be mostly out for the weekend. I'm going to pick up 2.5 miles this afternoon and I have six miler on Sunday. I hope I make it, I've not run 6 full miles before and the route we chose is U-G-L-Y HARD! My GPS watch tells me that the frist two miles of it is a 1000 ft climb, so I expect 2000+ ft of climbing. OMG. That's like a mountain or something right??? :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend and logs those miles!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    2 miles today!

exercise.png
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i got 3 miles in on the treadmill at the gym last night...i'm up to 17.1 so far...gonna head out soon for a lunch walk and then tonight if i bring the kids to the playground i'm going to walk around the area while they are playing...
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Current count 7.5 miles
    Goal 75 miles
  • kara_leigh
    Options
    Another 3 miles today. Eleven miles so far, and I only walked 4 days this week. If I continue to walk 5 days a week (taking the weekends off) I will definitely hit my goal. :) I felt much better today, after getting more sleep last night, so I wasn't as crazy tired today after my walk. My friend picked up her pace today and I actually had a hard time keeping up with her a couple times. I guess it's good to push myself, though.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the group :)
    I have been walking in my community park every Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. However, since the weather is changing I have to bring my walking to indoors..treadmill. I will walk outside just not when it's raining or really cold.

I already set up a "Novermber walking challenge" ticker from tickerfactory.com..let's do this!!
    Tomorrow will be my first day...
  • kara_leigh
    Options
    I have been walking in my community park every Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. However, since the weather is changing I have to bring my walking to indoors..treadmill. I will walk outside just not when it's raining or really cold.

Do you have a mall you could walk at? That's where I walk since it's cold out, until it gets warm again in the spring. I go an hour before they open, but they open for walkers three hours beforehand. It's nice b/c it's dry and warm. :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I actually JOGGED today! I only did it for about a minute to a minute and a half but dang it I JOGGED! I I'm not sure it's very smart for someone who weighs 323 lbs to jog, considering how much strain it puts on my ankles, knees, and joints. So I might have to lose some more weight before trying that again. On a side note - I've been on this challenge for 3 days now and have already done 8 miles! Yay! :D I'm proud of myself! Guys, if a 300+ lb woman can walk that far you guys can too! :D heheh

@Stacy: If you keep up with logging your calories and with the walking, you're not going to be a 300+ woman much longer. Walking is the best exercise there is for weight loss, so I don't think you need to run and put strain on your body. Instead of jogging better walk some more or walk more often.

That sounds good. :) Thanks for the advice, D! I really loved the jogging though, even though I only went for a short time. heheh I think I'm going to have to see about talking to a doctor or fitness professional and see if it's ok to jog at my weight. I really REALLY LOVED it! It felt SO GOOD! I definitely want to do what's safe for me and my body though, so yeah, I'll definitely see about talking to a professional. :)

@ Suedre - Thank you, sweetness! :D Yeah, you're totally right. It all depends on where you start from. And considering where I started from jogging at all is an accomplishment. heheh :D Thanks for the words of support, hun! *hugs* And dang, girl! You're like a mountain climber! hahah Awesome! You can do it! I have faith in you!
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I downloaded Week 1 of Ullrey's Couch to 5k Podcast. I'm thinking of giving it a go today but instead of doing the running intervals I'll probably do a brisk walk or a very light jog. Going to just take it easy and listen to my body until I get a chance to talk to a fitness professional about when it's safe for me to start running. :)

Here's the podcast if anyone else is interested in the Couch to 5k program - http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Another 3 miles today. Eleven miles so far, and I only walked 4 days this week. If I continue to walk 5 days a week (taking the weekends off) I will definitely hit my goal. :) I felt much better today, after getting more sleep last night, so I wasn't as crazy tired today after my walk. My friend picked up her pace today and I actually had a hard time keeping up with her a couple times. I guess it's good to push myself, though.

You're doing awesome, hun! Well done! Remember that it's good to push ourselves but don't push yourself too hard and burn yourself out. If you feel really tired like that perhaps taking a break for a day might be in order, particularly if you aren't used to walking a lot. Walking is a lot like strength training your leg muscles, you need a day of rest every once in a while to let your muscles heal and let your body recuperate. :)
  • kara_leigh
    Options
    You're doing awesome, hun! Well done! Remember that it's good to push ourselves but don't push yourself too hard and burn yourself out. If you feel really tired like that perhaps taking a break for a day might be in order, particularly if you aren't used to walking a lot. Walking is a lot like strength training your leg muscles, you need a day of rest every once in a while to let your muscles heal and let your body recuperate. :)

Thanks!! Yep, I plan to take all of the weekends off to get some rest. Thanksgiving weekend is going to be tricky b/c I don't want to go to the mall on Black Friday or that weekend b/c it will be CRAZY, so I will be going 4 day between walks, but I'll try to figure something out. :) I don't know what was up with yesterday, me being so tired. I wasn't like that today at all. *shrug* I think I just had a weird day.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 30 miles!
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hello, I have walked 5 miles today, weather has not been good and is getting worse for the weekend :grumble:
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K podcast today and wow, it totally kicked my booty! heheh I feel great though and did 2.5 miles with light jogging intervals.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5.84 miles down so far for this week!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I took the kids to the playground last night and instead of sitting on my *kitten* on the bench I played tag with the kids for a few mins and then the rest of the time I walked around the perimeter of the play area. I "only" got in 1mile and it took almost 45 mins, but I moved my *kitten* and am now up to 36% complete and it was only day 5 of November. I'm very happy I joined this challenge.
    I needed a "success" in order to keep being successful going forward. Thanks for setting this up. I'm already thinking about upping my goal for December just to challenge myself even more.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'll shoot for 40 miles.
  • carlysmama
    Options
    Well... I am new and am in need of losing tons of weight so a challenge couldn't hurt anything. I will start very small and work my way up for next month. I will however push myself to see how much I can actually do in a month which will be interesting. Let's start with 35 and see how that goes. Thanks for the challenge!